Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No -- I believe it's quite the opposite!

From nephew's initial interview imploring the public to ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike, I believed he was baiting for information not disclosed to the husband or family. It would make no sense for him to want the public to ask about the bike condition if he already had this information. MOO
BBM:

Agree that the nephew was baiting LE by urging the public to ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike.

Amateurish move, frankly.
Definitely an antagonistic move toward LE, as well.
Family and LE don't appear to be singing off the same hymn sheet.

Here's where my brain is going with that ask-about-the-bike business:

Hypothetically, let's just consider one possible scenario.

For the sake of argument, let's say that there's been a staged scene here, with the goal being to convince LE that SM was either abducted during a bike ride or that she'd had some type of biking accident.

If someone has gone to the time, trouble and risk of staging an abduction or accident, then it stands to reason that evidentiary props, including the bike, have been artfully arranged and/or altered to try to make it appear most convincing.

That particular someone's expectation would be that LE would buy into this scenario and quickly put the information about the bike out to the public, i.e., "We found her bike in what appeared to be damaged condition," or "We found her bike with signs that she may have been injured," etc.

LE not reporting anything about the condition of the bike would definitely throw that someone for a loop.

They'd want LE to share the news of the found bike with the public, as a way of pointing the finger of blame away from them completely.

In a staged abduction scenario, the bike is intended to be found, with the goal of misleading LE and the public.

Classic attempt at misdirection.

When I heard BM's nephew's demand that the public "Ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike," my brain immediately translated those words into the following message:

"Look over there. Not here."

JMO.

Last edited:
Seems as if there is wildland fire training in Denver, but none had occurred since May 3rd...a week before mother’s day. At least with this company. Here’s the link if anyone wants to check it out: Colorado Firecamp - wildland firefighter training JMO

I can't find a MSM article that mentions the husband was specifically at wildfire training in Denver on 05.10.
Has it been reported that's where he says he was, and if yes, can someone share a link please?
(Entirely possible I've just missed the wording, I've read lots of articles but that wording doesn't come up)

There is also a trail along route 226, following the South Arkansas River on the same side as their house, but farther west.

The turnoff for route 266 from Highway 50 is where the photograph that accompanied the information about "personal item(s)" found was.

I am presuming that would be where they found...something. Maybe the helmet, the Camelback. And maybe the bike was found along that trail. I don't know. I am just SPECULATING.

It also leads to a dam across the South Arkansas River. I wonder if you can bike / walk across that dam and cross the river there?

BBM:

Agree that the nephew was baiting LE by urging the public to ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike.

For the sake of argument, let's say that there's been a staged scene here, with the goal being to convince LE that SM was either abducted during a bike ride or that she'd had some type of biking accident.

If someone has gone to the time, trouble and risk of staging an abduction or accident, then it stands to reason that evidentiary props, including the bike, have been artfully arranged and/or altered to try to make it appear most convincing.

That particular someone's expectation would be that LE would buy into this scenario and quickly put the information about the bike out to the public, i.e., "We found her bike in what appeared to be damaged condition," or "We found her bike with signs that she may have been injured," etc.

LE not reporting anything about the condition of the bike would definitely throw that someone for a loop.

They'd want LE to share the news of the found bike with the public, as a way of pointing the finger of blame away from them completely.

In a staged abduction scenario, the bike is intended to be found, with the goal of misleading LE and the public.
Classic misdirection.

When I heard BM's nephew's demand that the public "Ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike,"
my brain immediately translated those word into the following message:

JMO.
Thank you, Gordian! For succinctly expressing what my gut felt. Also note that LE did not bite his bait.

Last edited:
I found the presser to be quite telling, and firmly believe they have a good working theory. Here are my big areas of consideration, for now:
  • So much that is not said is important, as well as body language. When asked if if they thought Suzanne was alive, while shaking his head no, Spezze said (which we expect) that they hope she is alive etc. That may be me overreaching but I found it interesting as it’s not an uncommon giveaway, for someone to shake their head no while affirming in the positive when they don’t believe something is true.
  • Regarding a stranger attack - unless an abduction occurred and the UNSUB had reason to keep SM alive, IF this was a stranger abduction I’d expect to find her body near the abduction site. When someone disappears, it’s often because either the UNSUB has reason to keep them alive (whether that be to take them elsewhere to continue the assault or other nefarious reasons), or because it’s not in fact an act committed by a stranger at all. Remember, transporting someone and holding them hostage or killing them later and disposing of them takes a lot more work/risk/effort than leaving them in the location. And if you are not known to the victim, well no need to make them disappear as LE will not immediately (or ever) tie you to them.
  • I’d love to know when the last known sighting of Suzanne was, and who saw her. We don’t know for sure she disappeared on Sunday, per quotes from Spezze. That’s concerning.
  • We (the public) have not been asked to look for a woman wearing xyz, no description of possible clothing or other items. That’s concerning.
  • The family has not spoken out publicly pleading for her return. If she had been abducted by a stranger, and with the FBI/CBI assisting in particular, I’d expect LE to encourage the family to make some statements humanizing/personalizing Suzanne, as we know sometimes that’s the only way to reach an abductor. Make the victim a person, do not allow them to be depersonalized.
There’s more that troubles me but this post is already far too long. I for one fear Suzanne is already deceased, and they’re looking for her body. The FBI’s ERT (evidence recovery team) is who they chose to bring into this case, likely for good reason.
There is one other thing I would like to add, and it may or may not be important.

Someone said in the last thread that she was on social media the day before she disappeared. That may not be so- if someone harmed her, they may have been posting as her. Kelsey Berreth's jerk boyfriend is one that comes to mind- texting people, pretending to be Kelsey.

To be honest we’ve gotten very little MSM info about anything related to this matter IMO
We really don’t even have a last seen date - just that the neighbor/friend called 911 to report her missing Sunday - her media thread is full of the same information over and over - and it’s very little IMO

I agree. The media has been unusually reserved in their reporting. Generally, they would delve more into the victim's background, current work and family situation, etc. but they aren't. Here we are almost a week later and they're still regurgitating the same basic info.

I was also surprised at the lack of some obvious questions at the PC. I wonder if the sheriff told them not to even bother asking some questions before he started.

I have no clue if this is even plausible but it makes me wonder if the media has also been told to back off certain aspects of the case in their reporting. I don't know. This case has my head spinning!

For such a large sort of rural and uncrowded setting, I found the neighbor thing odd too. In suburbia, I don't think I'd take note of my neighbor leaving and returning from a bike ride, and certainly not under social distancing. But where the lots and homes are so large, that's odder still, although maybe in a town with 135 people in it you notice every human move. I'd love more info on how/why she was reported missing. Maybe I've missed that in the articles I've read.

This article states: "authorities have not confirmed whether Morphew’s husband was in town at the time of her disappearance."
Police have not ruled out foul play in search for missing Colorado woman as husband offers $100,000 reward [VIDEO]
This is what I am saying- so far, the sheriff has not said the husband has an air tight alibi. Although this article is three days old, we have seen nothing that has changed in terms of him being cleared. I find this worrisome. It should have been very easy and simple to confirm that he was at training in Denver that day.

I am surprised that no one in here thought it was self harm.

Hi @Steelslady… Nice seeing you here and seeing that we are following the same case like in the ole times. J

I considered it for sure, but I didn’t get that “feel” from her. She looks happy, active etc. on pics. When we are significantly depressed etc., people often socially withdraw and stop being active. I agree that this doesn’t rule out self-harm, but she doesn’t have that “aura” around her. I am not sure I am making sense… but working with individuals with mental health problems, I just didn’t get that from her. However, people can also put on a very effective “mask” as well… Still, self-harm, is pretty low on my list of what may have happened to Suzanne. But it’s not impossible…

I am just catching up here, but has there been any mention of a SW being issued on SM's home as of yet? Her electronic devices (or home alarm?) most certainly will narrow down what time she was last at home.

JMO - I really don't think this was a staged event. I am still thinking this was an abduction from the roadside.

I am hoping really hard that she is still alive. This is one case where everything I read online about this woman is only kind words. She is very loved and missed.

I wonder if the 'personal items' that were found were an article of clothing or a shoe?

This case is reminding me slightly of Tim Watkins who went for a bike ride along Mount Herman Road, CO and never made it back home.

Although the gender and personal circumstances were completely different, it is the finding of the bicycle (Tim's had a flat tire and was on its side) and personal items (in Tim's case, it was his shoe and wallet contents as well) that feel vaguely reminiscent of his case.

Call me crazy.:oops:

Tim was found within several days of his disappearance. He had been shot. His case is still open.
This is Tim's WS thread. CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #3

JMO

I can't find a MSM article that mentions the husband was specifically at wildfire training in Denver on 05.10.
Has it been reported that's where he says he was, and if yes, can someone share a link please?
(Entirely possible I've just missed the wording, I've read lots of articles but that wording doesn't come up)

Just speculation as that is what his job has been mentioned as. Thought someone linked to an MSM article where it said he is a wildland volunteer firefighter. However, I could be completely wrong and there may not be an MSM article saying he is a volunteer firefighter. ETA: Here are two links mentioning he is a volunteer firefighter: Suzanne Morphew Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com and Dozens Search For Suzanne Morphew After Discovery Of 'Personal Item' No other work is listed, if he was on a work trip, it seems as if it would have been firefighter training, unless he has a job we don't know about.

I am just catching up here, but has there been any mention of a SW being issued on SM's home as of yet? Her electronic devices (or home alarm?) most certainly will narrow down what time she was last at home.

JMO - I really don't think this was a staged event. I am still thinking this was an abduction from the roadside.

I am hoping really hard that she is still alive. This is one case where everything I read online about this woman is only kind words. She is very loved and missed.

I wonder if the 'personal items' that were found were an article of clothing or a shoe?

This case is reminding me slightly of Tim Watkins who went for a bike ride along Mount Herman Road, CO and never made it back home.

Although the gender and personal circumstances were completely different, it is the finding of the bicycle (Tim's had a flat tire and was on its side) and personal items (in Tim's case, it was his shoe and wallet contents as well) that feel vaguely reminiscent of his case.

Call me crazy.:oops:

Tim was found within several days of his disappearance. He had been shot. His case is still open.
This is Tim's WS thread. CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #3

JMO
Can't call you crazy but I had the same feelings about Tim Watkins. I would like to know if her bike had a flat tire.

Dozens Search For Suzanne Morphew After Discovery Of 'Personal Item'

“We want to do whatever it takes to get her back,” nephew Trevor Noel told CBS4. He urged people to submit clues and learn to recognize his aunt from photos. “Go to the Facebook page, check it out. Just see her face, read some comments, think about it. Especially if you’re in the Chaffee County area, this part near Salida.”

This is what I am saying- so far, the sheriff has not said the husband has an air tight alibi. Although this article is three days old, we have seen nothing that has changed in terms of him being cleared. I find this worrisome. It should have been very easy and simple to confirm that he was at training in Denver that day.

I'm having a hard time finding a MSM link that says he was at training in Denver that day.
All I seem to be able to find is "in Denver" but none say specifically what he was doing, whether it was business or pleasure, etc.
Hoping someone has a link?

BBM:

Classic attempt at misdirection.

When I heard BM's nephew's demand that the public "Ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike," my brain immediately translated those words into the following message:

JMO.
YES!
Goodness gracious this is exactly what I got from the nephew telling people to ask LE about the condition of the bike. Like he really really wanted the condition of the bike out there, which being damaged & showing an accident seems most likely.

Looking on the bright side, there was a missing runner case in Hawaii last year. She went running in the tropical forest park and left her car in the lot overnight.
Everyone was suspicious of her girl friend, her boyfriend, random strangers etc.
She had become lost and was found two weeks later with a broken leg, no shoes and bug bites.
Yoga teacher Amanda Eller after rescue from Hawaii forest: 'I chose life'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members