IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you, I don't understand why they are doing this.

There is no option for incarceration for a child this young. I am not really sure what the reasoning is behind this...if they have the evidence for trial, why doesn't his lawyer plead it out? Or do they think that a jury may completely exonerate him?

Either way, the charges can be expunged from his record at age 18.

There is no option for incarceration for a child this young. I am not really sure what the reasoning is behind this...if they have the evidence for trial, why doesn't his lawyer plead it out? Or do they think that a jury may completely exonerate him?

Either way, the charges can be expunged from his record at age 18.
I just don't understand how they can even prove that he had homicidal intent. He was 8 at the time of the fire, how many kids set up fires by accident? It's unfortunate but it does happen and those kids surely didn't want to kill anyone. I don't believe this kid wanted anyone dead, it was a stupid mistake.

I just don't understand how they can even prove that he had homicidal intent. He was 8 at the time of the fire, how many kids set up fires by accident? It's unfortunate but it does happen and those kids surely didn't want to kill anyone. I don't believe this kid wanted anyone dead, it was a stupid mistake.

This is also what I don't understand. It took them 5 months before they charged Kyle with arson and intentional murder. If he confessed to starting the fire and stated he wanted to kill everybody, why would he be allowed to live with his grandparents? If child psychologists were involved and assessed that his motive was murder, wouldn't they recommend that he be admitted to a child mental health facility? We will have to wait for the justification on his charges, but actually taking this child to court is a travesty.

This is also what I don't understand. It took them 5 months before they charged Kyle with arson and intentional murder. If he confessed to starting the fire and stated he wanted to kill everybody, why would he be allowed to live with his grandparents? If child psychologists were involved and assessed that his motive was murder, wouldn't they recommend that he be admitted to a child mental health facility? We will have to wait for the justification on his charges, but actually taking this child to court is a travesty.
I believe he got nailed down by his own mother, and ultimately by his cousin. If I'm recalling correctly, his mother claimed he had several mental health issues, and his cousin was very public and, to be 100% honest, quite cruel, about getting "justice" for her daughter. I get that she's hurting, she lost her baby but what does anyone get from a 9-year-old boy that clearly had no intent to murder 5 people being put through something like this? He does not understand his chrages, he does not understand the court procedings AT ALL, he cries in court. I don't understand why they keep going with this. It's so cruel. We know that children as young as 8/9 have commited horrible crimes and had evil intentions, and we know that several younger children do have the capability of grasping the court procedings and everything that it entails, but I think it's clear as day that Kyle is not mature enough to really get what's happening to him. And if he doesn't understand, is it really doing anyone any good? I think this child is just being even more victimized than he already has been since the day he was born. Just make arrangements for him to stay in a loving, caring and healthy environment, get him into therapy and counseling, teach him the tools he needs to deal with the issues he might have, make him do some age appropriate community service, let him be a kid. This boy is innocent, even if he caused the fire, he is innocent.
I don't want to get into conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't be super surprised if he wasn't even the one who started the fire. Something feels really off about this whole story.

The above stated article is the first i've seen where the niece died in her arms..... I thought only the 2 of them got outside? I'm confused.
I agree. Never heard it before. Paramedics would have been working on her if she was still alive. I read that they found the father and rose dead next to each other on the floor. She's making things up as she goes along.

I agree. Never heard it before. Paramedics would have been working on her if she was still alive. I read that they found the father and rose dead next to each other on the floor. She's making things up as she goes along.
She has a been wildly inconsistent, if not deceitful, in her various versions of events. If they are relying upon her word, to charge this poor child with murder, it is a travesty.

Monday, May 11th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 11/22/19 reference post #840 here:
IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

12/2/20 Update: Defense attorney Peter Dluski requested the approval of funds to retain a Chicago-area doctor who will determine the boy’s fitness & to retain a private investigator. State’s Attorney Greg Minger did not object to either motion but noted the private investigator is Dave Frank, a retired police officer who works part-time with the Metamora Police Dept. in Woodford County. Judge Charles Feeny granted both motions but said he might not approve the doctor later, emphasizing the value of an objection and “meaningful expert”. The next hearing in the juvenile case was scheduled for 3:45pm. Feb. 27, granting enough time for the boy’s fitness evaluation.
4/22/20 Update: Virtual custody hearing Wednesday. The hearing happened via Zoom. Woodford County Judge Charles Feeney ruled the boy will stay with his paternal grandparents, who are acting as his foster parents right now. The Judge said Kyle’s father will now be allowed to have unsupervised visits with his son. The boy's next day in court for the murder case is set for May 11.

well, a private investigator can only be a good thing in this case, right? They can’t be meaning to investigate Kyle, as it’d be a really shallow dive.

I tried googling updates but just getting old articles back in Oct. of 2019.

@borndem - I see you here!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif
Can you see if you can find something? TIA! :)

Bumping up for @borndem - can you access Woodford County? Oh - wait probably won't be in there since he's a minor... :rolleyes:

Well - than just bumping up to see if anyone has heard anything "new" - ?

TIA!
coucouy.gif
It's a bummer that we don't have any locals in this thread, I bet the people that live around the family know what's going on.

I came across this article from May 11, 2020 talking about the May 11th pretrial hearing.

Hearing continued for Goodfield boy charged in arson murders

[..]

The hearing was continued until June 1 at 9:30 a.m. in the Woodford County Courthouse in Eureka. Monday’s hearing before Circuit Court Judge Charles Feeney lasted a few minutes with State’s Attorney Greg Minger and the boy’s attorney, Peter Dluski, appearing electronically in a Zoom video conference.

The boy was not in the courtroom and did not participate in the video conference in any way.

[...]

@Niner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members