Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about the possibility that a crime happened in the home. Surely the house had an alarm system, surveillance cameras? Would a random intruder risk breaking into a home in broad daylight, and would an intruder take away a victim or a body? I'd also think that more focus would be invested in the house, if there were signs of intrusion and disturbance.

So IF a crime happened there, I'd have to lean to the perp being known to Suzanne, and that any alarm or surveillance was either turned off by either Suzanne while she was home, or the perp.

Which brings me to the question of whether LE has gleaned any info from possible home surveillance, namely was it observed that Suzanne left the house in biking bear, and at what time?

The Zillow photographs of the home (on the Media Thread), show an ADT-type alarm pad beside a door that looks like the door from the house into the garage. I couldn't see any cameras in the photographs, but they weren't particularly close up or in areas where cameras would be expected.

Of course, an alarm only works if you, well, alarm it. If it was daytime, it may very well have been off.

Oddly, there has been no mention of them having a dog. I can't fathom living in that area without a large trained dog of some sort. They are the best kind of alarm to have, as their hearing picks up intruders and animals and their bark can very well deter common intruders or looky-loos who don't belong on the property. I can't imagine feeling very safe at that home at night without one.

Last edited:
I think most of the skepticism at least from me anyways comes from that lack of an urgent plea from the very beginning and not necessarily from family but from LE as well.

There was no: We have a missing person we need to get an urgent press release out to locate her

I think LE learned something very early on that has shaped the investigation in the way that we are seeing

The first 72 hrs are critical for finding any missing person alive. And we long passed that before we even had so much as public presser!

I think LE is following the evidence in this case and it's an investigation that isn't in need of a lot of public media attention, in order to recover helpful information.

replied to add

And in fact even now 6 days in the only real statements we have seen were bc there were things they had to put out there.

Road closure for search on Co Rd 225

U.S. 50 road closure for search

Very little about needing the public's help (once again I don't think they do)

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

Last edited:
Agreed wholeheartedly. Additionally, the fact that the nephew apparently thinks that a number of untrained family/friends searching is going to be more effective than the FBI, CBI, trained SAR...is bizarre.

Normally citizens and especially family are highly discouraged from performing their own searches for a multitude of reasons. I’m surprised sheriffs office hasn’t said “no more or...”.

Is it bizarre or is it a deliberate distraction or move to inmplicate someone.

LE better get a handle on this real quick. I hope a visit from two black suited FBI agents with sunglasses on who resemble Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones will impress the nephew

Last edited:
I was thinking about the possibility that a crime happened in the home. Surely the house had an alarm system, surveillance cameras? Would a random intruder risk breaking into a home in broad daylight, and would an intruder take away a victim or a body? I'd also think that more focus would be invested in the house, if there were signs of intrusion and disturbance.

So IF a crime happened there, I'd have to lean to the perp being known to Suzanne, and that any alarm or surveillance was either turned off by either Suzanne while she was home, or the perp.

Which brings me to the question of whether LE has gleaned any info from possible home surveillance, namely was it observed that Suzanne left the house in biking bear, and at what time?
This is another reason I think maybe their security system either isn’t often used, or their cams just record real time and don’t store footage. If they have clear proof of her leaving on video, Spezze could say without a doubt she disappeared Sunday. He hasn’t said that...and so I’m leaning towards the above theory.

There is one other thing I would like to add, and it may or may not be important.

Someone said in the last thread that she was on social media the day before she disappeared. That may not be so- if someone harmed her, they may have been posting as her. Kelsey Berreth's jerk boyfriend is one that comes to mind- texting people, pretending to be Kelsey.

Another great point, Steelslady. This makes me wonder if the person who harmed her sent out a text from her phone saying she was going on a bike ride. Not only could this set up the staging of the bike but also deter other family members from wondering why they haven't heard back from her all day.

This buys time for the perp to get out of town and form an alibi, especially on Mother's Day when certain family members would expect to hear back from her. She easily could have disappeared before MD under this scenario. This would also fit with LE saying they "think" she disappeared on Sunday.

This is all pure speculation, of course.

God knows, there must have been enough people on that trail that if LE was convinced she did ride her bike there, that LE would be PLEADING for people to come forward, with at least a description of what Suzanne looked like (even if LE didn't know what she wore that day).

I could be wrong, but someone did mention in the other thread that the road to her house was blocked off. Makes me wonder if a crime did indeed happen at her home, someone placed her personal items on a bike trail she rode frequently, probably late at night to make it appear she disappeared on Sunday while out riding.

Doesn't anyone else find it strange that LE has NOT asked for anyone on the bike trail to come forward, who was riding that day? Come on!
Isn’t Colorado on a stay at home? Here in NC campgrounds at parks are closed and pretty much all trainings of any kind are cancelled. Biltmore just canceled their summer concerts which start in July.

I'm not sure - the Arkansas River is apparently flowing pretty good right now. Maybe a local will comment, but the river is not far from where Suzanne disappeared (and its headwaters in the snowpack are 27 miles away - so the water would be quite cold, it's at medium flow right now).

Daily Arkansas River Flow Report

So many rocks, tree roots and boulders, people go missing in cold water rivers all the time and are either never found or found much later, way downstream. I think there's a dam not far downstream, though, so they will probably check that area more than once.

I wish we knew if there was a reason for her to be distraught.

The Arkansas is about 25 minutes away but the little South Arkansas is right there. No one's going to be doing anything l recreational in the South Ark or Fooses Creek - it's little, cold and used for irrigation with lots of houses as it heads East. The Arkansas is a bigger River but not East coast or West coast big. And there are tons of people on it. Fishing and floating. The sheriff already said that self-harm is not suspected, neither is wildlife.

Last edited:
The Zillow photographs of the home (on the Media Thread), show an ADT-type alarm pad beside a door that looks like the door from the house into the garage. I couldn't see any cameras in the photographs, but they weren't particularly close up or in areas where cameras would be expected.

Of course, an alarm only works if you, well, alarm it. If it was daytime, it may very well have been off.

Oddly, there has been no mention of them having a dog. I can't fathom living in that area without a large trained dog of some sort. They are the best kind of alarm to have, as their hearing picks up intruders and animals and their bark can very well deter common intruders or looky-loos who don't belong on the property. I can't imagine feeling very safe at that home at night without one.

Did the Zillow listing mention anything about an alarm or surveillance system anywhere in the details? Usually that would be mentioned as an added value to buying the home. I would expect such a nice, large home would have cameras wired in when built but who knows.

My guess is she spoke with someone before the “ride” and that person didn’t get a call back and asked the neighbor to check and that’s when 911 was called - if the ride was real otherwise what prompted the 911 call?
JMO
This is just driving me crazy. So similar to the Abbie Flynn case- Abbie allegedly told her son that she might go for a walk before her guests were to arrive at her Super Bowl party she was having. She has not been found to this day, and no evidence of her taking a walk has been found.

I really wish we knew if anyone saw Suzanne on her bike that day. I have a feeling no one saw her because she never went for that ride.

I’m sorry guys, I need to ask a quick question. I know we’re not allowed to link to FB but can we link a television interview (with Nancy Grace, I know :rolleyes:) that was posted on twitter today?
I don’t want to violate rules but there was an interesting tid-bit in there.

This is just driving me crazy. So similar to the Abbie Flynn case- Abbie allegedly told her son that she might go for a walk before her guests were to arrive at her Super Bowl party she was having. She has not been found to this day, and no evidence of her taking a walk has been found.

I really wish we knew if anyone saw Suzanne on her bike that day. I have a feeling no one saw her because she never went for that ride.
I don’t think she went for a bike ride either. I think she was murdered and the bike was planted.

Did the Zillow listing mention anything about an alarm or surveillance system anywhere in the details? Usually that would be mentioned as an added value to buying the home. I would expect such a nice, large home would have cameras wired in when built but who knows.

No. There was no mention of alarm systems, cameras, gates or other protection devices. But they didn't really go into detail about the stove, the frig, the ovens, the furnace, all that other stuff that you find in more detailed postings. I think the home protection systems are something that might just best go unmentioned in a home of that price and remoteness.

I found them by examining the interior photos. Just like I found the alarm system keypads in the late Jennifer Dulos's home photos on Zillow.

Another great point, Steelslady. This makes me wonder if the person who harmed her sent out a text from her phone saying she was going on a bike ride. Not only could this set up the staging of the bike but also deter other family members from wondering why they haven't heard back from her all day.

This buys time for the perp to get out of town and form an alibi, especially on Mother's Day when certain family members would expect to hear back from her. She easily could have disappeared before MD under this scenario. This would also fit with LE saying they "think" she disappeared on Sunday.

This is all pure speculation, of course.
Absolutely. Exactly what I was thinking. Once all the items were hidden (on that trail that LE found of Suzanne's), they left for God knows where and didn't take the phone out of her house so they couldn't track them (the perp), so eventually, someone got worried when they couldn't get a hold of her when she should have been back from her bike ride.

Channel 9 Denver interview of the nephew yesterday. (May 15).

I don’t think she went for a bike ride either. I think she was murdered and the bike was planted.

The missing poster in this video states that she was "last seen in this helmet" - that's pretty specific as to both an eyewitness/place and the day of disappearance.

That poor guy sounds terrified :(

Isn’t Colorado on a stay at home? Here in NC campgrounds at parks are closed and pretty much all trainings of any kind are cancelled. Biltmore just canceled their summer concerts which start in July.
I don't know about Colorado, but here in NH, many people have been hiking trails and bike riding, even going into parks that are closed but are unmanned with a guard. It would be impossible to shut down every single hiking and biking trail in the state.

I have no clue about the park she was allegedly going to ride her bike in.

I posted the Colo guidelines in prior thread. It was suppose to be max 10 miles from your residence to recreation per the Gov. Campgrounds, State Parks did not begin to open until May 12.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Colorado Pandemic Recreation: If You Have To Drive To Hike, ‘You’re Trying Too Hard’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member