Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching BM’s plea, call me naive, but I believed he was sincere and is shaken by all of this. He looks a wreck! I don’t believe it’s a kidnapping perhaps he feels this way because she has not been found.
I just hope I’m right because I was wrong with the Chris Watts case. :rolleyes:

I didn’t find it odd that it was a FB video, it’s possible LE agreed to it instead of a media one.

As far as him posting the $100,000 right away, they could have IRA’s or Roth accounts and took it from there. Most people usually don’t keep that much money in a bank account anyway.

Something I've noticed is that when someone is missing and likely deceased, families often cling to less-likely scenarios like a kidnapping or voluntary disappearance - anything that leaves open a possibility of the person returning home.

Its really hard to call how sincere these pleas are but one thing that absolutely stuck out like a sore thumb is this guy seems to be utterly convinced she was kidnapped. Whether that's also sincere i don't know but that sure is the message he wants to put out.

Perhaps the family has not been cleared yet and they are doing their own thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't getting every detail from the police.

I have no doubt they are not getting info from LE.

If I were in their shoes and didn't have a lot of information, I would be scared to do something which could harm the investigation. I would work to provide whatever was needed to clear myself quickly, so I could align my efforts with LE & the investigation. My first priority would be to support their efforts and help in any way I could, which includes following their advice. I certainly wouldn't be offering rewards, asking the public to question LE about evidence, and now putting up video's on a private facebook page.

Why hasn't LE acknowledged the reward?

Acknowledging I am a flip-flopper. The video initially plucked my heart strings, but on repeated review ...

It has stuck with me that LE said something to the effect of “We THINK Sunday is the day she went missing.” o_O
We really don’t know how long she has been “missing.”

Great catch, needs to be emphasized. Of course, some people on this forum had already noticed that nowhere do we see this information.

She could have been gone from the night before. The thing is, although they don't think it was an "animal attack," I think everyone in that region knows that if she did have a bad accident, was disoriented, tried to walk home and got lost, with no one to call in that she was missing...one night out in 40° temps might have resulted in her death. Whereupon even animals that don't regularly attack humans (like bears) will come and drag the body off. While searches have been done within about a 2.5 radius of the bike, there's a lot of terrain to cover and searchers were looking primarily for a person, not drag tracks (which can be scant if near the river).

If I were in an accident a mile or two from my house, on a bike, and needing to get home quickly, I might try walking down the river (which has been thoroughly searched, as I understand it). If a bicyclist had just had an accident involving another car, maybe they'd be really reluctant to walk on the highway (while disoriented).

If it were getting dark, especially. Suzanne might very well try to use the river as my guide, as it ends up right in Suzanne's backyard.

But now, we have the puzzle of how long did this family go without checking on each other? As facts come out, the family is probably very pained by this kind of scrutiny. Maybe they tried all day to reach her on Sunday.

How did anyone figure out that she went on a bike ride in the first place? What did the neighbor actually say in the 911 call? Doesn't it sound like the neighbor knew she went on a bike ride, even before the bike was found? Who found the bike?

Did the neighbor merely report her missing and then, after the bike was found, everyone assumed she went that day? Then, upon further investigation, it turns out that there's no objective evidence of when she left the house.

And we have no LE statements about when she was last seen by Husband. Daughters are accounted for IMO, living in different places while social distancing and still attempting to study/have a social life. Was Husband also living apart? MSM reports that he went to Denver for "training" but when did he leave?

You can pretty much set your watch by it:

So, where's the spouse pleading video?
-spouse posts the pleading video-
YEP, we knew it, total fraud!

Of course I say this in jest, but we all know it's true. ;)

Sometimes the spouse (or other family member) IS lying their face off.
Sometimes they're 100% innocent and just come off sketchy or unconvincing for some other legit reason.
I was born gifted with what they call "resting **tch face".
If I were the spouse in the pleading video, hands down everyone would think I'm lying, for that reason alone.

It's just the way it works out.
There really isn't a loophole when it comes to human nature.

I do hope BM is sincere and hope even more that SM is alive and will return home safely.

jmo
bbm
I think we all hope that !
I'm on the rickety fence as well....

There's a new feature : "Insert Quotes" :p

Great catch, needs to be emphasized. Of course, some people on this forum had already noticed that nowhere do we see this information.

She could have been gone from the night before. The thing is, although they don't think it was an "animal attack," I think everyone in that region knows that if she did have a bad accident, was disoriented, tried to walk home and got lost, with no one to call in that she was missing...one night out in 40° temps might have resulted in her death. Whereupon even animals that don't regularly attack humans (like bears) will come and drag the body off. While searches have been done within about a 2.5 radius of the bike, there's a lot of terrain to cover and searchers were looking primarily for a person, not drag tracks (which can be scant if near the river).

If I were in an accident a mile or two from my house, on a bike, and needing to get home quickly, I might try walking down the river (which has been thoroughly searched, as I understand it). If a bicyclist had just had an accident involving another car, maybe they'd be really reluctant to walk on the highway (while disoriented).

If it were getting dark, especially. Suzanne might very well try to use the river as my guide, as it ends up right in Suzanne's backyard.

But now, we have the puzzle of how long did this family go without checking on each other? As facts come out, the family is probably very pained by this kind of scrutiny. Maybe they tried all day to reach her on Sunday.

How did anyone figure out that she went on a bike ride in the first place? What did the neighbor actually say in the 911 call? Doesn't it sound like the neighbor knew she went on a bike ride, even before the bike was found? Who found the bike?

Did the neighbor merely report her missing and then, after the bike was found, everyone assumed she went that day? Then, upon further investigation, it turns out that there's no objective evidence of when she left the house.

And we have no LE statements about when she was last seen by Husband. Daughters are accounted for IMO, living in different places while social distancing and still attempting to study/have a social life. Was Husband also living apart? MSM reports that he went to Denver for "training" but when did he leave?

And if someone had her cell phone, say Saturday night (when I think this all most likely happened). It wouldn't be difficult to send a few texts saying she was planning a bike ride tomorrow because the weather was going to be so great.

Not sure why she would supposedly let the neighbor know she was going for a bike ride. Did she usually do that rather than mention it to her kids or her husband?

Anyway, most likely this all started Saturday, possibly Saturday night and the perp had adequate time to do all the texting from her phone to set up the scenario and cover all tracks by the time the neighbor was "alerted".

And if someone had her cell phone, say Saturday night (when I think this all most likely happened). It wouldn't be difficult to send a few texts saying she was planning a bike ride tomorrow because the weather was going to be so great.

Not sure why she would supposedly let the neighbor know she was going for a bike ride. Did she usually do that rather than mention it to her kids or her husband?

Anyway, most likely this all started Saturday, possibly Saturday night and the perp had adequate time to do all the texting from her phone to set up the scenario and cover all tracks by the time the neighbor was "alerted".
bbm
Well, yes.

By the time the neighbor was contacted by the mystery person or family member I think Suzanne was long gone. :(

We still do not know who said there was a bike ride.

Want to bet LE have spoken to this neighbor and are keeping it close to the vest ?
MOO

I assume he means the kidnappers.
Or maybe he thinks his wife ran off with another man and he is willing to pay to get her back. Probably not, though.

I'm thinking that right there. He comes across as a man that believes his wife had had enough imo. He really makes no plea, and when he does, he's talking to her. Seems like "no questions asked" is addressed to her.

RSBM. I posted this upthread. A part of LE's initial press release. Not much detail but worded interestingly.

"On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.
...."
Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

I have no doubt they are not getting info from LE.

If I were in their shoes and didn't have a lot of information, I would be scared to do something which could harm the investigation. I would work to provide whatever was needed to clear myself quickly, so I could align my efforts with LE & the investigation. My first priority would be to support their efforts and help in any way I could, which includes following their advice. I certainly wouldn't be offering rewards, asking the public to question LE about evidence, and now putting up video's on a private facebook page.

Why hasn't LE acknowledged the reward?

Acknowledging I am a flip-flopper. The video initially plucked my heart strings, but on repeated review ...
Exactly, I’d pull a Marc Klaas, be an open book, and do whatever needs to be done so I could be cleared, allowing LE to focus on the real perpetrator....if I was innocent.

Okay, I'll play. A couple of people here have stated why they think the daughters should NOT be paraded out for a public plea (to protect them physically and psychologically). Keeping in mind they are minor/near minors, I'd like to hear your take on what good it would do the investigation to have them come out and cry/plead in front of us?
I don't think it would be any help to the investigation. People have already criticized Suzanne's daughters, they certainly don't need anymore stress than what they are going through now. They are not obligated to make any kind of public statement at all. I wouldn't want my daughter in front of a camera in this kind of situation.

All teenagers are different, and if they want to make a statement I think that's fine, too.

Imo

Leticia was brought in for questioning though. She came up with a story about being raped to get out of being interrogated and then someone picked her up from the hospital. She essentially went on the run after that. I haven't heard that Barry has been interrogated. I brought up Leticia because they were on to her right away, they did take her to the station because her story was bogus and she lied some more and left town. I don't see anything pointing to this happening here.

After watching BM’s plea, call me naive, but I believed he was sincere and is shaken by all of this. He looks a wreck! I don’t believe it’s a kidnapping perhaps he feels this way because she has not been found.
I just hope I’m right because I was wrong with the Chris Watts case. :rolleyes:

I didn’t find it odd that it was a FB video, it’s possible LE agreed to it instead of a media one.

As far as him posting the $100,000 right away, they could have IRA’s or Roth accounts and took it from there. Most people usually don’t keep that much money in a bank account anyway.

He doesn't have to have the cash on hand right now. It wouldn't need to be accessed until and unless somebody gives the information and qualifies for the reward.

If "they" wanted "however much" it would have been communicated by now.
How does the plea today fit in with the "it's too soon for a public appeal". Was day 7 the target, if they hadn't heard from anyone by then. BM would put out a public appeal?

Just trying to get a sense of what the families thoughts are currently. To me it seemed like BM was speaking directly to a potential kidnapper. Why do they think this?

bbm
Well, yes.

By the time the neighbor was contacted by the mystery person or family member I think Suzanne was long gone. :(

We still do not know who said there was a bike ride.

Want to bet LE have spoken to this neighbor and are keeping it close to the vest ?
MOO
Kudos to the neighbor for not creating a media circus but protecting the investigation. As much as I want to know about the neighbor's involvement, I respect the investigation and that the neighbor seems to respect it as well.

jmo

First reaction: family is treating this as an abduction. He looks like he is in incredible pain just having to utter those opening words. I find him convincing so far.

Which freaks me out a little, because if this is an abduction, it's almost the worst case scenario. Or actually is the worst case scenario. From my POV.

I think it was a stranger abduction, period. She is attractive and looks vulnerable. If they sound her helmet, then for sure, she was knocked off her bike.
BBM:

Actually, that's not true.

If LE found her helmet, it doesn't mean Suzanne was "for sure" knocked off her bike.

That's certainly one explanation, but it's not the only possibility.

It could be that SM removed the helmet herself voluntarily, for example, if she stopped to take a break at some point during her bike ride.

It's also possible that someone may have ditched/planted the helmet outside in an attempt to misdirect LE's investigation.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads