Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am another person intrigued and perplexed by this missing person's report. I was reading in the posts in a previous thread, which is now closed for further remarks. I will copy it below. I don't agree with this comment. Suzanne made this comment: Thank you, I am so blessed by Him (I believe she is referring to God, not Barry).

Seeing these facebook pics it looks to me like her husband is very loving to her. She even said in a comment, "so blessed by him".

Has there been a recent case where a family member was kidnapped or killed due to their familial affiliation with someone (gangs don't count)?

I'm also leaning towards known or unknown to Suzanne, abduction. But can't discount the spouse as yet.

Retaliation by targeting a family member or loved one happens in tv shows and movies all the time, but in real life, apart from organized crime or gangs, it's pretty uncommon. At least in my experience in 40+ years of following true crime.

jmo

I don't think they're going to have a problem at all.
I believe the evidence they already have is already pointing them exactly where they need to be looking.

jmo
So, along what lines? May I ask? The first case I ever really followed on Websleuths was Gannon's. So many things happened in that case that you "veterans" already knew beforehand. The area just strikes me as too rural to have any video surveillance, not really populated anyways. No phone service=no pings....

I don't have FB either. Just google Find Suzanne Morphew and you will see it and the comments.
Thank you.
If I were missing, my husband would be banging on LE's door for help. Pleading with any news media that would help him get the word out. Trying to find this fb page and search in the comments for a plea is baffling to me.

This is in such a limited capacity. I hope he can get the word out.

I am SO sick of women going jogging, bike riding, walking, running errands and NEVER COMING BACK.
I assume the neighbor that reported her missing has been cleared? Can anyone tell me why the neighbor even knew she was missing?
I am hoping that they are keeping info close to the vest because they have some suspects on the forefront. Otherwise, IMO, major disservice to Suzanne and her family that the feds are not coming out and saying that it is a likely abduction.
Time is passing...if she was abducted people forget fairly quickly. In the area....was there a man who was "missing" on Mother's Day for an extended time? Did someone recently change their appearance or had their car/truck detailed? Did someone return home with scratches, injuries, etc. etc. Did someone in the public see something that they aren't even aware of what they saw?
I just find this lockdown of info SO frustrating and really, of no value.

I wonder if they had a RING camera. Even if they didn't, I wonder if anyone along her usual biking route (if she had one), had a RING camera? Remember Chris Watts' neighbor? Perhaps LE is acting in a very specific way because there were these types of surveillance cameras in the area and not one of them shows her biking?

I wonder if anyone in BM's business had a big grudge against him.
You know, my initial thought was “that would be one heck of a grudge,” but then I remembered the couple in Utah that were killed recently by someone who just wanted (IIRC) to work for them.

Statistics are what they are, but a small percentage of missing persons is indeed abducted by strangers. I freely admit I never want to believe a person is missing at the hands of a loved one until there is direct evidence of such.

LE has not asked for anyone to come forward and say they saw Suzanne, except for a very vague request for tips at the end of the one press conference. While keeping details “close to the vest” is not uncommon, NOT asking for witnesses in a given area IS uncommon, in my experience. It gives me hope that they are onto something/someone. I hope this approach does not bite them in the butt.

I just hear $ $ $ “ I will give any amount for your return” etc. This poor woman is lost because of some sort of financial situation. Whether that be ransom, insurance, debts or bad business. Poor doll, I pray she is still alive but this is sounding to me like some type of bad $ business.

Maybe. It looks that way.
But one could also consider that maybe the husband is desperate and is trying to get her back anyway he can.....offering a huge amount of money for her safe return.

I also wonder if a text message was sent to the neighbor by SM's phone (not necessarily SM herself), saying, "Hey, I'm going on a bike ride. If you don't hear back from me in an hour, please call 911." This would explain why the neighbor called 911, not the family.

Looking forward to hearing another statement from LE tonight. Hopefully it will shed some more light on their findings. I also wonder when the next press conference will take place, as he said he would not hold them daily.
I hope we can get some more info from LE today, was there an indication we would get some info tonight? hopefully this case is moving quickly and easily for them, very hard to tell but I trust they have all the bases covered.

Just some random thoughts here:

I learned about this case from another thread and a Bicycling Magazine online (bicycling.com) article. (I’ve NEVER seen Bicycling Magazine put out an article on a missing person before this.) I do a LOT of biking but it is almost exclusively road cycling and I have only a very limited knowledge of mountain or gravel biking. After scanning through all the posts to this point I’ve come up with some points or questions.

I’ve never really seen a thing on the type of bike or cycling Suzanne was engaged in. Road bike? Mountain bike? Gravel or cross bike? Everything I’ve read here and in the media seems to IMPLY she was mountain biking but I have not seen a verification of that point. When I first heard that Hwy 50 was closed, I assumed she was riding a road bike on Hwy 50. I have watched one YouTube video that seems to mention more, but the mods have specifically mentioned that one as off limits. Which leads me to my next point.

I’ve seen nothing put out by LE asking local bikers – IF she was riding off road – with a description of her bike and helmet and maybe her jersey. For those of us on the road when describing another cyclist will usually use the brand, model and color of the bike they usually ride or race and maybe their kit if they are a member of a team and frequently wear their kit. A couple of reasons for this. One is when we are wearing our helmet and sunglasses it makes it more difficult to ID someone. Another is we might recognize someone from farther away just by their bike. I’ve seen nothing in the media asking who was on the trails that day and did they see her.

Trailhead boards. Some trailheads have a sign-in board – voluntary in most cases – where users can sign-in on the off chance they come up missing. I’ve seen nothing on that, although that may also mean there are no boards on the trails.

Local clubs or associations. I only found one on REI’s website. Salida Mountain Trails. REI lists 11 rides and 46 trails in the area of SMT. Salida Mountain Trails
SMT’s website. Salida Mountain Trails - Volunteer Trail Construction in Salida Colorado - Home
SMT’s Facebook page. Salida Mountain Trails
There is nothing about Suzanne on either SMT’s page or FB page. Of course, Suzanne is likely not a member. But I would have thought if family or LE reached out to SMT members there might be something on the website. When anyone is injured, harassed by non-cyclists or has a bike stolen we share that info on our FB page. Nada here on Suzanne. I did note that the FB page has some posts about vandalism on the trails. One where someone buried a board with nails in it on the trail and another where someone sawed partway through bridge supports.

Local bike shops. About a half dozen in the area. Only one, Salida Bike Company (apparently only a bike repair shop and not necessarily a seller of bikes) has anything on their web site or Facebook page. I’d say this is unusual and probably indicative of not reaching out to the local cycling community.

Suzanne’s proficiency and experience on a mountain bike. Not mentioned at all. From what little experience I’ve had on a mountain bike, I’ve found it required more bike handling skills that what I acquired from road cycling. Going to REI’s web site on the immediate area the majority of the trails are rated difficult – probably based on the steepness of the climbs or the level of bike handling skills required or both. Many appear to be single track trails. So I can assume she was reasonably comfortable on these trails based on the difficulty ratings? Assuming is all I can do as the local cyclists seem to be silent and I don’t get that aspect.

Lastly, cycling electronics. I wonder if Suzanne had some sort of cycling electronics such as Garmin, Wahoo or Polar. The handlebar mounted units the size of a cell phone like the Garmin 530 have GPS to help plot out your route and in some units can help you back to the trail if you took a wrong turn or get lost. Where cell phones might not have coverage these usually do since they don’t rely on cell tours. They also record the user’s route. In the case of handlebar mounted units if it is still with the bike LE can at least determine where she rode. In the case of a wrist unit they can be paired with a smart phone and the route can be determined. Some cyclists used a handlebar mount instead of wearing a wrist unit on their arm. In almost all cases, if the unit is found the route up to where the bike is found can be determined by plugging into a computer and downloading the data. Why is this important? Many cyclists are crazy about posting their daily activities on Strava or MapMyRide. By determining WHERE Suzanne had been a check of the online sites like Strava can provide possible witnesses that saw her on the trail. If she was mountain biking on the trails.

Again, I may have missed posts that address these points. But I have looked cycling web sites, local bike shop web sites and Facebook pages and LE web pages/Facebook pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member