GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahmaud Arbery Murder Investigation
May 20th Update:
On Tuesday, May 19, 2020, at approximately 6:39 PM, GBI agents executed a search warrant at the home of Gregory & Travis McMichael. This investigative act is part of the Ahmaud Arbery murder investigation. No further details are being released at this time due to the active and ongoing case.
Ahmaud Arbery Murder Investigation

As far as I can see, TM's gun was pointed at the ground and GM's gun didn't leave it's holster until after the shooting started.

Again, I'm curious to hear the perspective of people here who own guns - how many would have allowed Arbery to take their gun in that situation?

That's an interesting question. But here's one more interesting to me:
Of those people here who own guns - how many would get into a truck with a gun and spend four minutes trying to stop and detain a person, on foot and with nothing in his hands, for trespassing in a neighbor's under-construction house?

Of those people here who own guns - how many would get into a truck with a gun and spend four minutes trying to stop and detain a person, on foot and with nothing in his hands, for trespassing in a neighbor's under-construction house?
I would hope none. The McMichaels showed very poor judgement.

As a hypothetical question though, how many gun owners in that position would have allowed Arbery to take their gun.

Their actions consist of spending approximately four minutes driving down the road after him, repeatedly calling out to stop because they wanted to talk to him, and then TM getting out of the truck holding a shotgun pointed away from him.

Does that really "invoke an assault"?
Oops, I meant to type "provoke." Thanks, I edited it.

I don't believe he would have been shot if he hadn't tried to grab the shotgun.

There are gun owners posting in this thread, so maybe they could offer an opinion here - how many of them would have allowed Arbery to take their gun off them in that situation?
As a gun owner, I never would have put myself in that position.

The only time my gun is loaded (other than target practice) is when my hubby is out of town. If a stranger breaks in my home and comes to my bedroom, I'm going to shoot them. Not hold them until police come. Not question them. If I pull a gun on you, I have every intention of using it.

Why did Travis take his shotgun out of the truck? To scare, threaten, and intimidate AA? Job well done then. People on here are acting like Travis just had the shotgun in his hand as a fashion accessory or something.

The only time my gun is loaded (other than target practice) is when my hubby is out of town. If a stranger breaks in my home and comes to my bedroom, I'm going to shoot them. Not hold them until police come. Not question them. If I pull a gun on you, I have every intention of using it.

Why did Travis take his shotgun out of the truck? To scare, threaten, and intimidate AA? Job well done then. People on here are acting like Travis just had the shotgun in his hand as a fashion accessory or something.
I'm sure he didn't have it as a fashion accessory, but at the same time I can't see that's illegal for him to be holding it either.

I'm sure he didn't have it as a fashion accessory, but at the same time I can't see that's illegal for him to be holding it either.
I agree. Look at the letter of the law, McMichael had to prevent a raging maniac from taking his gun, acquittal. JMO

Their actions consist of spending approximately four minutes driving down the road after him, repeatedly calling out to stop because they wanted to talk to him, and then TM getting out of the truck holding a shotgun pointed away from him.

Does that really "invoke an assault"?

Georgia Assault and Battery Laws - FindLaw

Simple Assault: Attempting to commit a violent injury on someone else or putting them in a situation where it’s reasonable they can be injured in such a manner. No actual physical touching is necessary to violate the law. Words can be enough. For example, threatening to break someone's neck, if done in a menacing manner, can be considered simple assault.

So . . . yes AA was put in a situation where it's reasonable he could be (and was) injured violently. In fact, he's dead.

Aggravated Assault: Assaulting someone:
(1) With intent to murder, to rape, or to rob;
(2) With a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used
offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury; or
(3) Shooting a firearm from within a
motor vehicle toward a person or persons.

So . . . yes, a gun is a deadly weapon and/or an object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury. I mean, DEAD is a serious bodily injury, right?

Georgia Assault and Battery Laws - FindLaw

So . . . yes AA was put in a situation where it's reasonable he could be (and was) injured violently. In fact, he's dead.

So . . . yes, a gun is a deadly weapon and/or an object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury. I mean, DEAD is a serious bodily injury, right?
He's dead because he grabbed the gun.

Thank you. I've always heard you're only supposed to brandish a gun if you're prepared to use it. And I think Travis was prepared.

He's dead because he unsuccessfully tried to defend himself against an assault.
As I've said already, that will be the prosecution's case. Not everybody will see it that way.

As far as I can see, TM's gun was pointed at the ground and GM's gun didn't leave it's holster until after the shooting started.

Again, I'm curious to hear the perspective of people here who own guns - how many would have allowed Arbery to take their gun in that situation?
As a gun owner, I am not carrying it to confront someone unless prepared to fire it. So pointed or not, If I am holding it in that situation I am most definitely prepared to use it.

But the problem is, as a gun owner, I would never chase/follow/attempt to arrest or menace another unless it was directly necessary to protect my own life or that of another.

So I am apparently very different from these two specific gun owners.

Absolutely NOT this one

I don't believe he would have been shot if he hadn't tried to grab the shotgun.

There are gun owners posting in this thread, so maybe they could offer an opinion here - how many of them would have allowed Arbery to take their gun off them in that situation?

AA wouldn't have had an opportunity to take the gun if the gun wasn't pointed at him in the first place!

I just feel like so much emphasis is being put on why AA shouldn't have (supposedly) tried to take the gun when he didn't create the situation he was reacting to it and why can't he try to defend himself but they can?

MOO

No he is dead because some idiots decided to take it upon themselves to chase down a man and point a loaded weapon at him.

MOO
The gun wasn't pointed at him. TM was holding a shotgun, but afaics on the video he wasn't pointing it at Arbery.

It's not illegal in Georgia to be standing on a public road holding a shotgun and I see no evidence that TM would ever have pulled the trigger if Arbery hadn't attacked him.

He's dead because he grabbed the gun.

No he is dead because some idiots decided to take it upon themselves to chase down a man and point a loaded weapon at him.

MOO
The gun wasn't pointed at him. TM was holding a shotgun, but afaics on the video he wasn't pointing it at Arbery.

It's not illegal in Georgia to be standing on a public road holding a shotgun and I see no evidence that TM would ever have pulled the trigger if Arbery hadn't attacked him.

Respectfully disagree.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members