Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you cancel a post on this thread??

Having the hardest time...
Thx.
Hi QT! You cannot delete a post you have already made, but you may edit it for, I think, 30 minutes (you will see an "edit" option right next to "report"). Once that period has passed, you cannot edit the post. You can always message mod if you feel strongly it needs to be deleted. If you are within the time frame, you can delete what you've posted, but you cannot leave the box empty, so you need to put something in. It is common to use "deleted by me" (or DBM) so it is clear to other posters/members what happened.

However, if you are talking about the text that gets saved in your reply box, it is actually a bit tricky! Well, maybe not tricky once you know how, but it was tricky for me to figure out...

To delete text from your reply box (for example, a post you've already made that for some reason didn't go away when you posted the reply, or maybe something you just changed your mind about)--- Mouse over and click the little floppy disc image in the header bar of the reply box - far right side of the row where the "B I U" are (bold, italics and underline). The options come up that say "save draft" and "delete draft." (I have no idea why save draft is an option because that kind of happens automatically for me.) THEN REFRESH your page and the text should be gone.

Also, it cracks me up that they use a floppy disc image. :D

If you mean a draft post: Delete what you've drafted so there's nothing in the box. Then click the "disk" icon on the tool bar and click "delete draft".

If you mean an actual post: you need to go to "edit" on the post and delete what you wrote.

It was already posted...i did edit and 'cancel'...nothing happened. It's too late now, my time is up.

If a bike is found abandoned on a bridge, a natural assumption might be suicide (if the bridge were high enough). Why did LE rule that out? What else was found, and where? Was it the condition of the bike? Asking the question assuming the DM got it right.

The DM did not identify the bridge. It could be the county road 225 bridge over the South Arkansas River.

It’s very small, and the river wasn’t raging on Mother’s Day.

I do not know if this data site is correct, but one can see from Google Earth how small it is.
COUNTY ROAD 225 over SOUTH ARKANSAS RIVER Chaffee County, Colorado Bridge Inspection Report

If the bike was planted, then it could’ve just been a convienent place before turning onto Hwy 50.

Well, IF BM harmed her, chances of recovery aren’t great IMO and here’s why:

Not only is the terrain about as bad as it gets for a recovery imo, but as a firefighter he has all kinds of skills, not limited to, well “fire”, likely strong familiarity with wooded areas/maps and digging containment lines. As a landscaper he would also have excellent skills as related to grounds, not to mention all the distance in between there and Denver, or wherever else.

When one looks down over these cliffs, you see the tops of trees. If he threw her over the side, and animals got to her, or she went in the water...

Unless they can pinpoint an area via phone ping, etc., I’d say her chances of her being found are very low, again IF BM killed her.

I give this case a very low chance of a recovery, jmo, sorry to say. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Especially if he was an avid hunter and comfortable in the woods.

It's still probably one of the least likely scenarios, but I've been thinking about something re: foul by a stranger.

There's a large state prison not too far away in Buena Vista. Does anyone know what the procedures are for prisoners being released from a prison like this, kinda in the middle of nowhere? Do they just walk out the doors? Are they expected to arrange for their own transportation upon release? How many prisoners have been released recently? Has COVID affected how they're releasing people?

What time did her daughters call the neighbor? The neighbor called 911 at 1746 assuming the girls called sometime close to this then that seems rather late in the day to call your mother on mother's day.
They were probably trying to reach her for most of the day and got no response... I would assume.

May 20, 2020

FOUR POINTS NOW REPORTED IN MSM FOR DISCUSSION:

1) We still have no confirmation when SM was last seen physically alive but reports are she was last in contact on Saturday, May 9, 2020.

2) Her bike was recovered from a bridge near her residence.

3) Daughters were together in Idaho on a camping trip when SM reported missing. Daughters asked a nearby neighbor to go check on SM, contrary to a neighbor saw SM leave on her bike and worried because she was not back after 5:30 pm as previously told by NG.

4) Husband was at a training course on Mother's Day for Volunteer firefighter course now reported by MSM.

Suzanne, 49, has not been heard from since May 9. A bike owned by the mother-of-two was recovered from a bridge close to her home on May 10, according to local sources – the same day she was reported missing.[..]

DailyMail.com has learned it was her daughters Mallory and Macy who first raised the alarm after they were unable to get hold of her on Mother’s Day as they made their way back from a camping trip in Idaho. [..]

Friends said they asked neighbor Jeanne Ritter, 70, to check on Suzanne when they couldn’t get hold of her and it was Ritter who later called the police to report her missing. [..]

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly.’ [..]

Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew, 52, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver, Colorado, when she vanished.

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

ETA: Unknown if DM verified husband attended the training. Revised #4 that training camp was reported by MSM (i.e., discuss Sunday training on the thread).

Last edited:
It seems it would be virtually impossible to get in or out of this area in either direction without a CDOT camera capturing it. I'm sure this has been very helpful to police verifying alibis and vehicles near where SM went missing. JMO. I've attached a screenshot of the camera locations in the surrounding area along with a link to the info.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-093849.png
    Screenshot_20200520-093849.png
    307.5 KB · Views: 39
What time did her daughters call the neighbor? The neighbor called 911 at 1746 assuming the girls called sometime close to this then that seems rather late in the day to call your mother on mother's day.

I assumed the girls tried contacted their mother several time through out the day. When they couldn't get ahold of her by late afternoon they called the neighbor to check on her. But, that's all speculation on my part.

Possible scenario BUT PURE SPECULATION.

If the last KNOWN sighting of SM was on the 9th, possibly THAT is when the neighbor saw her heading out for a ride. A real ride that really did happen. Before the unthinkable happened.

Possibly on Sunday, at the behest of the daughters, the neighbor drove over to the family house, encountering the abandoned bike as dusk was settling. Possibly in conference with the daughters agreed that that was quite alarming, especially if there were no sign of SM near her bike nor at home.

IMO it explains the information given to LE just before 7pm on May 10. Found her bike, appeared she'd gone for a bike ride, no one's been able to reach her or find her.

We don't know how long the bike may have been there.

JMO

Especially if he was an avid hunter and comfortable in the woods.

Forensics is amazing though. I’m recalling a case where a recovery society, forgot the name, something to do with recovering remains, had a case in Aspen, if I’m not mistaken. Via a very smart “forensic botanist”, she was able to locate remains by determining that the plant trace evidence recovered came from a tree species which only grows on one side of a mountain due to the sun’s exposure. Perps make mistakes. Here’s to hoping, again IF BM killed her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member