Found Deceased WI - Kathleen Ryan, adult, teacher, car found burned with body inside, St. Francis, 2 Feb 2019 #2

Do we know for sure if investigators were unable to find evidence of arson or accelerants?

If no evidence, then probably an accident.

How can we know for sure?

If anothe type of accelerant was used, then definitely a deliberate act.
But if gasoline was used to start the fire, would they be able to tell, since gasoline was already in the car? Imo it would be difficult to determine accident or intentional.
There are a lot of things that LE has not divulged, so it's not easy to figure out by ourselves.

If anothe type of accelerant was used, then definitely a deliberate act.
But if gasoline was used to start the fire, would they be able to tell, since gasoline was already in the car? Imo it would be difficult to determine accident or intentional.
There are a lot of things that LE has not divulged, so it's not easy to figure out by ourselves.

I expect that professionals trained as fire investigators can tell a difference between car upholstery that burned because the car's carpet was on fire, and car upholstery that burned because gasoline was poured on it.

We may never know.

RIP, Kathleen, peace & comfort to your family!

Or any liquor bottles receipts for purchases etc?
Box wine and receipts aren't fireproof.

I think police have a clear idea what happened. They I doubt spend time still actively investigating. But silence may prevail as they aren't 100% sure and thus would not announce findings if it might serve no real purpose - only further burden surviving family. (Others might say, though, that assuring the public an arsonist isn't aprowl might be reason enough.)

Jmo I think police have more or less determined what happened, and by saying here is no sign of another person being involved (do not recall wording) they are saying all they intend to say. It probably cannot be determined if accidental or suicide, though I believe accident.

My younger sister died of a combination of anorexia and alcohol abuse...I can absolutely see her having stopped in some obscure spot to drink before going to an event, as she seldom drank in front of others...and it ending tragically. And also she would have taken out of the way routes to lessen chances of being pulled over.

Jmo I think police have more or less determined what happened, and by saying here is no sign of another person being involved (do not recall wording) they are saying all they intend to say. It probably cannot be determined if accidental or suicide, though I believe accident.

My younger sister died of a combination of anorexia and alcohol abuse...I can absolutely see her having stopped in some obscure spot to drink before going to an event, as she seldom drank in front of others...and it ending tragically. And also she would have taken out of the way routes to lessen chances of being pulled over.
Anyone who's known a for-real alcoholic very well (or been one) knows that the compulsion far overpowers that of self preservation. Add on court documentation of Kathleen's MO and it's pretty convincing. Law enforcement's and family's behavior suddenly makes sense.

Work your programs, people. Be close with your sponsor and keep them on speed dial.

Anyone who's known a for-real alcoholic very well (or been one) knows that the compulsion far overpowers that of self preservation. Add on court documentation of Kathleen's MO and it's pretty convincing. Law enforcement's and family's behavior suddenly makes sense.

Work your programs, people. Be close with your sponsor and keep them on speed dial.
Exactly, and well-said.

RSBM/BBM

I’m so sorry clu.

I expect that professionals trained as fire investigators can tell a difference between car upholstery that burned because the car's carpet was on fire, and car upholstery that burned because gasoline was poured on it.

We may never know.

RIP, Kathleen, peace & comfort to your family!
I HOPE they checked this out!

I HOPE they checked this out!
It may have been allowed to burn out on its own in a rural location adding on top of it probably burning for some time before it was even noticed and called in. It's incredible how completely a car can be consumed in a fire like that. Sometimes I see burned exotic cars come up to auction that are literally just a twisted frame sold only for their vin numbers. It's very likely there wasn't a single particle of carpet or upholstery to examine.

I just feel like this should have been solved. Wonder how her family feels. :(

I think her family knows what likely happened, and has chosen not to have that likelihood released to the papers. One can argue that it is a good and compassionate decision on LE's part not to have done so. Many believe she either killed herself by fire, or died in a fire sparked by inebriation and carelessness. Those seem better reads of what we know than does a madman kidnapping and killing, then burning, her. If police had reason to suspect the latter, warnings would have been issued to area residents. They never were, I don't believe, or, if so, were allowed to lapse quickly. No one is looking for a killer, and for good reason. I can't imagine this case being allowed to grow so cold so quickly, given the components, were it a case thought to have involved murder. I pray for Ms. Ryan's soul at mass often, and for her grieving family. Things happen.

Last edited:
In the middle of winter with no accelerant? How could the fire start? That should’ve been the heart of the investigation IMO.
Do we know that no accelerant was used? Link?

I think the point LE has made all along is that there is too much unknown and questions impossible to answer. The intensity of the fire may have made it impossible to determine if an accelerant was used. My guess is that accelerant was used and this was a homicide.

I think her family knows what likely happened, and has chosen not to have that likelihood released to the papers. One can argue that it is a good and compassionate decision on LE's part not to have done so. Many believe she either killed herself by fire, or died in a fire sparked by inebriation and carelessness. Those seem better reads of what we know than does a madman kidnapping and killing, then burning, her. If police had reason to suspect the latter, warnings would have been issued to area residents. They never were, I don't believe, or, if so, were allowed to lapse quickly. No one is looking for a killer, and for good reason. I can't imagine this case being allowed to grow so cold so quickly, given the components, were it a case thought to have involved murder. I pray for Ms. Ryan's soul at mass often, and for her grieving family. Things happen.

I doubt her family knows what happened. They don't have a crystal ball and neither does LE. Not all crimes are solved. Why would "many believe she killed herself by fire or died in a fired sparked by inebriation and carelessness?" That's pretty wild speculation and very unfair to the victim and her family.

JMO

It's safe to say that there was gasoline in the tank of the car. Cars can and do spontaneously catch fire, I've had more than one friend pull off the road and watch their car burn down. Fuel injectors can leak, foreign bodies can become lodged against the engine block, electrical systems can short out. There are reasons it's advisable to keep a fire extinguisher. A spontaneous car fire takes a while to really get going and under normal circumstances the occupants have ample opportunity to stop and get out but a person who is very intoxicated, less so.

It's safe to say that there was gasoline in the tank of the car. Cars can and do spontaneously catch fire, I've had more than one friend pull off the road and watch their car burn down. Fuel injectors can leak, foreign bodies can become lodged against the engine block, electrical systems can short out. There are reasons it's advisable to keep a fire extinguisher. A spontaneous car fire takes a while to really get going and under normal circumstances the occupants have ample opportunity to stop and get out but a person who is very intoxicated, less so.
But she was sitting in the passenger seat, like she was killed beforehand and then driven there!!

I doubt her family knows what happened. They don't have a crystal ball and neither does LE. Not all crimes are solved. Why would "many believe she killed herself by fire or died in a fired sparked by inebriation and carelessness?" That's pretty wild speculation and very unfair to the victim and her family.

JMO
I Sooo agree!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname