GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
S. Lee Merritt, Benjamin Crump and L. Chris Stewart, the attorneys for Arbery's parents, released the following statement on behalf of the family:

"The family of Ahmaud Arbery was relieved to learn that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has today taken William 'Roddie' Bryan into custody. We called for his arrest from the very beginning of this process. His involvement in the murder of Mr. Arbery was obvious to us, to many around the country and after their thorough investigation, it was clear to the GBI as well. The family of Mr. Arbery is thankful for the diligence of the GBI and they way in which they tirelessly pursued the evidence in this case. We want anyone who participated in the murder of Mr. Arbery to be held accountable."

Man who reportedly filmed Ahmaud Arbery's killing charged with murder

I will miss the presser tomorrow morning because of a family commitment but can't wait to pick through what GBI says and read my fellow members' thoughts on it once I get a chance to catch up.

Last edited:
I was taught that snooping around and trespassing on other people's property was in very poor taste. I see times have changed in regards to private property, and so have the crime statistics.
Touche.

"In a news release, the GBI said it charged Bryan with felony murder and criminal contempt to commit false imprisonment."
GBI arrests man who recorded video of Ahmaud Arbery shooting

Wow, I guess there IS more to the story that we haven't heard!

GBI apparently obtained a search warrant and searched the McMichael's home.

Sounds like this was coordinated and planned by the accused killers, just like many have speculated!

Imo
What crossed my mind was... Did he film this so they could show it later at a KKK meeting?

It really makes me sick that there are people on this thread that continue to place blame on the victim, AA. And stating as a fact that he’s dead because he “grabbed” a gun. THEY STALKED AND CORNERED HIM. (MOO, but video also backs that up, so that’s a FACT). He had no other choice but to defend himself. HE showed self defense. Not the two morons that chased him down the road guns a blazin’. The point is, they had no right to shoot him dead in the middle of the road. He didn’t steal anything. He wasn’t hurting anyone. He was out for a jog. STOP blaming the victim! How would you feel if your brother or uncle or son were shot dead in cold blood while doing something they did often, and it was posted about on a forum like this and people kept blaming HIM for his death? I know we all aren’t going to have the same opinion.. but damn.. why do people keep saying what he did was wrong and because he grabbed the gun he deserved (what’s being implied) to die. He had his whole life ahead of him. And it was ended because 2 idiots decided to take the “law” into their own hands. All because of what AA looked like. This world disgusts me. This is supposed to be a victim friendly site.. and it’s disappointed me in this thread because there is no reason whatsoever that AA should be blamed for his death. His past has nothing to do with the day he was killed.

As always, MOO.
Thank you for saying this. 100 likes!

Prosecutor is playing a dangerous game here.

False Imprisonment | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

Closer Look at the Law Behind False Imprisonment in Georgia After Family Violence Incident in Hall County | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

False imprisonment in Georgia is only applicable if it can be proven that the victim had no other reasonable means of escape.

The video shows Arbery running towards the redneck’s truck, and not in any number of directions away from the road and where no vehicle could even go because of the trees and brush. He was not even close to legally confined under any definition or case law in the state.

All in all, looking at past case law it seems like a difficult case to make. An acquittal is exactly the kind of event that could make the prosecution‘s case against the other defendants significantly more difficult and would become a key part of the defense’s case. This is assuming his case goes before their trials, and it seems highly likely it would.

Prosecutor is playing a dangerous game here.

Closer Look at the Law Behind False Imprisonment in Georgia After Family Violence Incident in Hall County | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

False imprisonment in Georgia is only applicable if it can be proven that the victim had no other reasonable means of escape.

The video shows Arbery running towards the redneck’s truck, and not in any number of directions away from the road and where no vehicle could even go because of the trees and brush. He was not even close to legally confined under any definition or case law in the state.

All in all, looking at past case law it seems like a difficult case to make. An acquittal is exactly that kind of event that could make the prosecution‘s case against the other defendants significantly more difficult and would become a key part of the defense’s case. This is assuming his case goes before their trials, and it seems highly likely it would.
The point of guns is you can kill people and animals from far away, as in running away.

There's a breakdown of the video on YT where the poster has enhanced the video and slowed it down. His voiceover, while the video is running is that AA purposely ran toward TM after choosing fight rather than flight.

However, reviewing the video after posting it on YT, the creator has included a written correction on his interpretation of what he sees on the video.

He initially says that at 9:30 onscreen, AA raises his arms in submission when he sees the shotgun TM is holding. His correction, however, is that it is not AA raising his arms into submission but it's TM RAISING THE SHOTGUN which causes AA to run to the right. I concur with what he sees.

Unfortunately, the amendment is not included in the audio portion. I would think that many people don't read his correction and concur with his original assertion that AA is the aggressor. I also believe the creator of the video is just fine with that.

You can see that GM is also facing AA, with a phone in his left hand. It's difficult to see whether he is holding a weapon at that point in time.

Even mice, when cornered, will stand up on their hind legs facing their predator as a last ditch effort for survival.

I don't fault AA for what he did. I also don't think his run-ins with the law have any relevance at the time of his death.

Btw the guy who did that video did an updated video and explained he'd been mistaken and it was Travis raising his arms.

I’ve followed his thread and posted MSM in his media and tonight I choose to respond to only the sleuthers who have done the same and understand what actually took place here based on the evidence - I’m a firm supporter of LE and this case is no different -finally Justice will soon be served
IMO

The point of guns is you can kill people and animals from far away, as in running away.

And any decent defense attorney is going to counter that by pointing out the defendants didn't try to shoot Arbery when he ran around their trucks several times before the final encounter.

I firmly believe the arrest of WR (Roddie) indicates the GBI has sufficient evidence that he blocked AA's attempt to evade the truck driven by the McMichaels at least once and was an active participant in attempting to unlawfully detain AA.

It was a shotgun, most likely loaded with buckshot, not a sniper rifle. You're not killing anything "far away" with a shotgun. Even if they were rifled slugs you would have to be an excellent shot to hit a 10x10 steel plate which would be equivalent to center mass at over 50 yards. That's half of a football field.

Let alone hit a running target.
So No, that's not the point of guns.

Moo.

I'm saying that proving the underlying felony of false imprisonment to get a felony murder conviction against Bryan is going to be very difficult, since based on the facts as we know them the required elements for false imprisonment haven't been met. And yes, the fact that Arbery could keep running off several times before the final fatal encounter will probably be an important element in that, if the case against Ryan ever makes it to trial, in particular regarding the following defenses:

There was a reasonable way out: If the victim knows of a reasonable means of escape, then there was no confinement. An example of this is if the victim was locked in a room on the first floor of a building and there was an open window.

The victim was not confined: Not letting someone go where they want to go is not enough to prove false imprisonment. There must be some sort of confinement. For instance, if a road was closed due to a parade and the victim wanted to go down the road but the police made her go another way, there was no false imprisonment.

I firmly believe the arrest of WR (Roddie) indicates the GBI has sufficient evidence that he blocked AA's attempt to evade the truck driven by the McMichaels at least once and was an active participant in attempting to unlawfully detain AA.

Dear @tlcya,

Yes, the arrest does indicate this.

The fact that the G.B.I. took considerable time to decide to make this arrest, gives me confidence that they believe they have solid evidence. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆