Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting study enrolling healthcare workers to investigate the use of melatonin as prophylaxis for covid.

"There is an urgent need to evaluate interventions that can prevent the infection with SARS-CoV 2 of healthcare workers at risk. Melatonin is an inexpensive and safe product with protective effect in both bacterial and viral infections likely due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects. This randomized controlled trial seeks to evaluate is efficacy as a prophylaxis in healthcare workers exposed to the virus in their clinical practice."

Efficacy of Melatonin in the Prophylaxis of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Among Healthcare Workers. - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
Oddly, I started taking this because someone in here told a member who was fostering a dog that was on this medication that it was probably for lung health. I thought, well, that’s not a bad idea, and I’ve been taking it ever since.

We had a pretty big suburban fiasco when an indoor dining upper scale restaurant decided (on its own) to close after the Memorial Day weekend because their indoor model would not work. It was open only for carry out until then.

However, on Tuesday (before Memorial Day) about 30 people showed up, began banging on doors and windows, wanting money for their gift cards. The restaurant had to call police. AND, it closed permanently right then and there. The patrons did not get cash for their gift cards.

We had a pretty big suburban fiasco when an indoor dining upper scale restaurant decided (on its own) to close after the Memorial Day weekend because their indoor model would not work. It was open only for carry out until then.

However, on Tuesday (before Memorial Day) about 30 people showed up, began banging on doors and windows, wanting money for their gift cards. The restaurant had to call police. AND, it closed permanently right then and there. The patrons did not get cash for their gift cards.

Someone on my nextdoor app warned about the gift card idea WAAAAYYYY back in the very beginning. I was grateful, because the obvious problem with that hadn't occured to me. Duh.

The only way I seeing it working is if the business owner can cut costs by 50% or more. That's just not going to happen.

Even if we ignore the rising cost of food and the added cost of PPE I don't see how any business could survive for long in that kind of environment. JMO

And then, there are people like me, who wouldn't go out to eat in a restaurant if the food was free. Going out to dinner used to be a great treat for us. We would plan where we were going, get dressed up, sometimes even make reservations for a hotel if the restaurant was in another town, so we didn't have to drive home. Or fly to Vegas for a weekend.

That is done. For this year. Who knows about next year.

Where are you?
Here, there are some restaurants that are not complying with the cdc "guidelines"at all -- they're not mandatory where I am afaik. And the ones that are complying are mostly doing so to the extent it's convenient. Absolutely zero customers are wearing masks, regardless of age. I've been to happy hour three times this week (yes, I know it's only Thursday lol). The places I've been to -- two of which have patios, were anywhere between 30% to 70% full. Which is not that much off normal for during the week. We're highly restuarant saturated. Tbh, we could stand to lose a few mediocre restaurants.

But he did wear a mask, just not in front of the cameras.

Trump tours Ford plant without mask after state attorney general's warnings

from above article
"A source familiar with the President's visit to a Ford plant said the President wore a mask out of sight of cameras during his visit.

He was just asked why he was not wearing a mask while on the tour in front of cameras.

"I had one on before in this back area. But I didn’t want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it," Trump said".

:confused:o_O

Right. Utilities have not lowered, rent has not lowered, insurance has not lowered.

The only way I seeing it working is if the business owner can cut costs by 50% or more. That's just not going to happen.

Even if we ignore the rising cost of food and the added cost of PPE I don't see how any business could survive for long in that kind of environment. JMO

LOL. What do you mean, even in California?
When people need money, they will do whatever it takes to get it.
Which reminds me, I wonder how the prostitution businesses are doing?

I just meant that the "rules" are quite a bit more draconian there, from what I've seen.

Prostitution is doing just fine, I'm sure. Plenty of people with way too much time and "free" money on their hands. jmo

Last edited:
Right. Utilities have not lowered, rent has not lowered, insurance has not lowered.
Exactly. A business has certain fixed costs like the ones you mentioned along with taxes and payroll that is restricted by minimum wage. Those things you can't just magically disappear or reduce by 50% or more. JMO

I need one too but have been nervous.

I’m guessing the staff also get temp readings every day?

If the hygienist is wearing a mask, unless they cough or sneeze it seems unlikely that anything could get into our airways. But being that close to their mouth with mine wide open scares me.

I’m hoping is safe because yeah, I don’t know what else they could do to make a person feel safer. Maybe wear a face shield? Could they even do the job wearing a face shield? Can they reach and stuff with that?

My dental hygienists have been wearing face shields as a matter of practice for many years-- but they didn't ever wear masks with them as far as I can recall. They also always required me to wear protective glasses-- either my own eye glasses or a loaner pair of lab-style goggles if I didn't have glasses. Now they are open again and trying to get us to come back for cleanings. They told us they will be wearing masks as well as the usual face shields and we will have to bring our own eye protection, no more loaners. I had a cleaning in Feb, so I'm good for a while, but DH is overdue for an appointment. He decided to cancel a May appointment and they rescheduled him for November. We're waiting to see how things go but I suspect the Nov appointment will eventually get canceled too. While I believe my dentist and hygienists will be very safe, I'm not so sure about other customers being there before me. No matter how much cleaning my dentist does they can't do much to take viral particles out of the air. I've read that it can float in the air for hours after someone coughs. So if they work on a Covid-19 positive patient before me, will the air in the room be contaminated? Or if the person in the next room being worked on has it, can it spread to the room I'm in thru the AC ducts? IDK, but It's not a risk I'm willing to take.

MOO

Repost: Minneapolis mayor is requiring face masks for all SCHOOLS, RETAIL BUSINESSES, HOTELS, REC CENTERS, GOV'T BUILDINGS. All over the age of 2!!! Fine of $1000.00. THIS IS COMPULSORY!

Can you imagine schools? Can you imagine putting a mask on a child who is just over age 2? Okay. Let's have a basketball game at the rec center - bring your mask. Hey, join the school band. Practice inside today cause it's raining outside - bring your mask. Cafeteria time... how do we eat?

Some were looking for substantiation of the increased suicide rates. Here's some. I expect the bay area docs quoted in the article to be "on leave" as of tomorrow. jmo

Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus.

"Personally I think it's time," said Dr. Mike deBoisblanc. "I think, originally, this (the shelter-in-place order) was put in place to flatten the curve and to make sure hospitals have the resources to take care of COVID patients.We have the current resources to do that and our other community health is suffering."

The numbers are unprecedented, he said.

"We've never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time," he said. "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

Suicides on the rise amid stay-at-home order, Bay Area medical professionals say

@firebird anecdotal "evidence" is not data. He is "saying" that suicide has increased. Without providing actual numbers.

I can "say" almost anything and be quoted in the newspapers. That doesn't mean that it is true.

Not arguing, just requesting actual data.
Suicide in April 2019 was "X"
Suicide in April 2020 was "X"

Aggregate data that can be viewed objectively. Rather than subjective conjectures.

@firebird anecdotal "evidence" is not data. He is "saying" that suicide has increased. Without providing actual numbers.

I can "say" almost anything and be quoted in the newspapers. That doesn't mean that it is true.

Not arguing, just requesting actual data.
Suicide in April 2019 was "X"
Suicide in April 2020 was "X"

Aggregate data that can be viewed objectively. Rather than subjective conjectures.

He's a doc at well-respected hospital with personal knowledge of the situation. And he did personally go on camera on msm to say they've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in four weeks. Maybe not good enough for you or me, personally, but definitely good enough for the thread.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the education system in Australia. Is there no provision for home schooling or is attendance at an institution compulsory?

I’m Australian, you can home school. You have to register. The announcement about kids returning to school is for kids who are enrolled in a school. WA currently has three active cases of Covid-19 and their border is closed.

Reason #473 for not listening to the WHO. Assistant to the President, Director of Trade and Manufacturing Policy Peter Navarro and CDC officials began warning the White House in January. One would think the government would at least started the ball rolling at that point. Why was it necessary to wait for the word "pandemic" to emerge from the WHO when it was clearly evident long before then that a pandemic was indeed underway?
I guess that was needed for countries to start closing down flights. International sport and tourism was still taking place all over Europe and the world for example so loads of International travel was still spreading it.

How does someone lockdown a nation with 335 million people when there is not a pandemic declared yet and there were very few known cases?

And when those who were supposed to know, like Dr Fauci, were still saying it was not a big threat to us?
Only flights from China had been banned and European flights continued. As you say without that pandemic announcement noone took it seriously.

New coronavirus advice for Britons back from Italy

This article was about half term holiday skiing trips bringing back the coronavirus 26th February. So UK government knew then.

"After the World Health Organization warned that countries should do more to prepare for a possible pandemic, the health secretary said that the UK had already done "a huge amount of work".

"Once it gets to that point there isn't a way to stop it coming into the UK in a big way," Mr Hancock said.

"It is not yet clear that it will become a pandemic - the number of cases in China has been slowing over the last couple of weeks and we are relatively confident that information is correct."

In other developments worldwide:

• China reported 508 new infections on Monday as the death toll rose by 71 to 2,663
  • In South Korea, 10 people have died after contracting the virus, with the number of people infected reaching 977
  • Japan has now confined more than 850 people with the virus, mostly from the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise liner
  • Three more deaths have been recorded in Iran, state media says, bringing the death toll there to 15
Mr Hancock said if other countries where the number of cases are growing "get their response right", there was still the possibility that the outbreak will remain small in the UK.

"We still expect more cases but at the moment there are 13 cases in the UK," he added."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member