UNSOLVED NY - Man goes to clear out dead mom’s home, finds body in freezer, Manhattan, 1 May 2020

I think that's why I'm content to imagine this as a dark comedy more than a thriller. Like, picture this older woman whose mother passes. She goes to pick up the phone, in tears, but knows that her mother's social security helps pay the bills. She puts the phone back down and orders a freezer from Sears.
Sears and tears, thrill and bill, you could have a nice little poem from your post if shelter in place has you looking for things to do.

T

I mean, Chicago/Oak Park had a pair of high-profile attorneys end up murdered in their upscale home mid-April and the cops are zipped shut on any news. The most anyone heard since April 15 was "they are asking for area residents to send surveillance footage." That's it. If police have a larger story, it might remain locked up a while longer. (Or it's literally so boring to area cops that nobody is taking it beyond OCME retrieval.)
Frustrating that we don't know more about this case. But the FBI took it over right away (along with the Oak Park PD. There will be a lot to tell at some point.

Oak Park's not Manhattan and there's a reason to go silent in high profile double homicides. This is a human interest story and the freezer owner has left the building.

That's a good point that it's not really a privacy issue anymore given the deceased parties.

There's a Reddit thread on this topic and you wouldn't believe the number of other stories that exist about bodies in freezers. I completely forgot about the film Bernie and how it was based on a true story from the 90s about a man who murdered his lady companion and left her in the freezer until her son started questioning this younger male companion. Jack Black's finest work. Damn, that really derailed my plan to write a movie script about this. It's been done! (Sort of.)

There's also that story from 1969/1999 about the chemical drum in a crawlspace that revealed the body of a missing woman who had been the mistress of the homeowner and her employer.

I still think it’s odd that he never noticed the freezer with duct tape:eek: in 10 years?.... I was looking to see if there was any more news on this but I have found nothing

You have to wonder if she had it out in the open or was trying to hide it. I'd like to know the size of this apartment. I mean, if I tried to put a large, human-sized freezer in my NYC apartment, you'd see it. Hell, I think I would have to treat it functionally as a sideboard.

You have to wonder if she had it out in the open or was trying to hide it. I'd like to know the size of this apartment. I mean, if I tried to put a large, human-sized freezer in my NYC apartment, you'd see it. Hell, I think I would have to treat it functionally as a sideboard.

An apartment-size chest freezer is around three feet tall and a couple of feet square. It would hold a small person folded up. One could easily throw a tablecloth or something over it, put a lamp and few tchotchkes on top, and have it pass as an end table.

An apartment-size chest freezer is around three feet tall and a couple of feet square. It would hold a small person folded up. One could easily throw a tablecloth or something over it, put a lamp and few tchotchkes on top, and have it pass as an end table.

slightly disturbing that you have this aaaallll worked out, @carbuff!

Side effect of hanging out here on a regular basis, IHMO!

TGIF, and RIP for the decedent in the freezer.

JMHO YMMV

The creep factor is high up there in this case.

All that's missing in the story, is the owner of the freezer be a collector of silent film 35mm nitrates (due to their flammable nature, nitrate film needs to be stored in a functioning freezer), the nitrates go missing, and instead a body shows up in its place. Hmm.

slightly disturbing that you have this aaaallll worked out, @carbuff!

Side effect of hanging out here on a regular basis, IHMO!

TGIF, and RIP for the decedent in the freezer.

JMHO YMMV

Yeah, and on top of that, I'm a writer. I keep all of this in the back of my brain ready to use in the next novel. Heh. Heh. Heh. *rubs hands evilly*

That's a good point that it's not really a privacy issue anymore given the deceased parties.

There's a Reddit thread on this topic and you wouldn't believe the number of other stories that exist about bodies in freezers. I completely forgot about the film Bernie and how it was based on a true story from the 90s about a man who murdered his lady companion and left her in the freezer until her son started questioning this younger male companion. Jack Black's finest work. Damn, that really derailed my plan to write a movie script about this. It's been done! (Sort of.)

There's also that story from 1969/1999 about the chemical drum in a crawlspace that revealed the body of a missing woman who had been the mistress of the homeowner and her employer.

So I read your post yesterday and watched the Jack Black movie (Bernie) last night. Never heard of it and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation!

So I read your post yesterday and watched the Jack Black movie (Bernie) last night. Never heard of it and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Glad you liked it! I completely forgot its premise until I saw it discussed in the Reddit feed. Richard Linklater has such a strange collection of films in his career. I guess Bernie fits the Texas locale angle. But did anyone see Where'd You Go, Bernadette? (I quite liked it even though it bombed at the box office last summer.)

Freezers
Seriously I Never realized the variety and choices of freezers!!!All available at Wayfair. They run from fancy to your basic white model..
I personally would go for the one on wheels with the sturdy handle.. you know for better mobility :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alissa000ag
Back