Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Governor Northam said so, it is in the Code of Virginia, so he says. No one can find it in the code.

Worked 44 yrs in healthcare administration, after semi retirement I became a licensed NH Administrator in VA. I reviewed the entire code of VA, reviewed all the NH laws, polices, called several other administrators NO ONE has ever heard of this nor can we find it written. This comes up at least once a week at the presser, he won't say what code, he just grins and moves to the next question. Just like when we ask how many nursing homes have been tested.

Moo...

Thank you for all that service. One of my best friends became a VetAdministration Administrator in Oklahoma first, and now in another state - thousands of veterans under her watch. She's been concerned about the lack of testing and diagnosis within the other VA.

I trust your understanding of Virgina's codes.

And then there are those people that will shoot a person asking them to wear a mask. This has really brought out some interesting actions by people. Sad and unsafe world more and more.

Or businesses saying that if you're wearing a mask, you're not welcome and they consider you part of a disinformation conspiracy to defraud the American public!

Good luck to those businesses.

I just watched HHS Secretary Azar on Fox News. Amazing. He says verbatim word for word almost exactly what VP Pence and President Trump states.

1. People need to go back to work.
2. Children need to go back to school.
3. There are mental health issues and increased suicides across the country.

What I am not hearing is that those things are safe. Or any actual evidence/data numbers on suicides.

Okay. :oops:

I'm asking respectfully, do you think there are no additional mental health issues or suicides?

:/

"The Arizona House voted Thursday to give businesses sweeping protections from lawsuits if their customers or employees get sick from the coronavirus and to eliminate criminal penalties for violating the governor’s public-health orders."

"Republicans approved the bill in a party-line vote,..."

Arizona House OKs coronavirus liability shield for businesses | FOX 10 Phoenix
Arizona House OKs coronavirus liability shield for businesses

I'm asking respectfully, do you think there are no additional mental health issues or suicides?

We just don't know. We do know we have excess deaths (but those could be CoVId). In the one nation that has actually compiled data backed up by their national health data system (Japan) suicides went down, not up.

There's certainly been one highly publicized suicide (a doctor).

It really doesn't matter what we think, does it? This is about nationwide policies. Where I live, there is no bump up in suicides.

:/

"The Arizona House voted Thursday to give businesses sweeping protections from lawsuits if their customers or employees get sick from the coronavirus and to eliminate criminal penalties for violating the governor’s public-health orders."

"Republicans approved the bill in a party-line vote,..."

Arizona House OKs coronavirus liability shield for businesses | FOX 10 Phoenix
Arizona House OKs coronavirus liability shield for businesses

Great. Well, the good people of Arizona will have to protect themselves. Unfortunately, people who aren't very well educated (and Arizona's educational system has certain deficits, IMO)...will be at very high risk.

The WSJ has an article up about Super Spreaders. You know, that one nursing home worker or packing house worker or bus driver...

Govt expands Hydroxychloroquine as prophylactic for healthcare workers

"NEW DELHI : After some promising results on the efficacy of prophylactic use of Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) against COVID-19 infection, the Central government has expanded the use of the medicine as prophylaxis to healthcare and other frontline workers deployed in non-COVID and COVID area."

"Thus, the Joint Monitoring Group and National Task Force (NTF) have now recommended the prophylactic use of HCQ in the following categories- All asymptomatic healthcare workers involved in containment and treatment of COVID-19 and asymptomatic healthcare workers working in non-COVID hospitals/non-COVID areas of COVID hospitals/blocks, Asymptomatic frontline workers, such as surveillance workers deployed in containment zones and paramilitary/police personnel involved in COVID-19 related activities and Asymptomatic household contacts of laboratory-confirmed cases."

I don't doubt it. What I have a problem with is the almost rehearsed version that keeps mentioning "all of these mental problems and suicides", without actually having data to refer to.

And furthermore, if people in the United States are having mental health issues, suicide, why is THE only answer to this "Everyone just needs to go back to work". Is that a solution? Why isn't there an alternative presented by people who keep talking about suicide and mental health issues? Like, "If you need help, please go to this website, call Suicide Helpline". No, the mantra is, if everyone goes back to work, magically everything is solved...

Sorry, that seems trite and actually trivializes mental health issues and suicide.

This is interesting. Mink are extensively farmed in China, as well. Mink are part of the weasel family, as are civet cats implicated in the SARS outbreak in 2002.

SARS-CoV2 infection in farmed mink, Netherlands, April 2020

"In April 2020, respiratory disease and increased mortality were observed in farmed mink on two farms in the Netherlands. In both farms, at least one worker had been found positive for SARS-CoV-2. Necropsies of the mink revealed interstitial pneumonia, and organ and swab samples tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 RNA by qPCR. Variations in viral genomes point at between-mink transmission on the farms and lack of infection link between the farms. Inhalable dust in the mink houses contained viral RNA, indicating possible exposure of workers."

I don't doubt it. What I have a problem with is the almost rehearsed version that keeps mentioning "all of these mental problems and suicides", without actually having data to refer to.

And furthermore, if people in the United States are having mental health issues, suicide, why is THE only answer to this "Everyone just needs to go back to work". Is that a solution? Why isn't there an alternative presented by people who keep talking about suicide and mental health issues? Like, "If you need help, please go to this website, call Suicide Helpline". No, the mantra is, if everyone goes back to work, magically everything is solved...

Sorry, that seems trite and actually trivializes mental health issues and suicide. That is my "problem"

I think you're just missing all the updates saying just that. Call the hotline. I see them all the time. A lot of people trivialize mental health issues. I think when you've seen the fallout, it's probably a bit more real. Jmo

We all do ride this rollercoaster of Covid emotions, don't we? I worry so much about front line medical workers ending up with PTSD.... perhaps we all will have some haunting symptoms down the road.... hope not, but the ups and downs do take a toll.
Yes, the covid roller coaster can be a rough ride at times. I never knew I had such a wide range of emotions.

Several woman friends and I got together this morning and rode our bikes around the neighborhood (wearing masks and social distancing). We honked our horns, rang our bike bells. Lots of folks came out to say hello or join us on our ride. Because most of us have covid-hair due to four months without haircuts, etc. , we did our hair up in tiny scrunchy pony tails all over our heads. Lots of silly fun and a lot of laughs.

Last edited:
Respectfully I did post the link to the study. I did read the study and understand who complied the data, a private data company from the US and the funding source. In the chart it is noted studies from Asia were use, China may or may not be a source.

Yes, Florida gets a A++ on Covid reporting. They've set the bar high and are national recognized for transparency!!! :rolleyes::)
really? Would truly appreciate some links to this.

Great. Well, the good people of Arizona will have to protect themselves. Unfortunately, people who aren't very well educated (and Arizona's educational system has certain deficits, IMO)...will be at very high risk.

The WSJ has an article up about Super Spreaders. You know, that one nursing home worker or packing house worker or bus driver...

You took the words right out of my mouth
I agree so much

On a national morning show, they were interviewing a person who works at a job picking up groceries and fast-food and restaurant food and delivering it

This person said she always puts the bags of groceries and food in her trunk where there are no germs
That's false
There ARE germs in her trunk

Concerning the coronavirus specifically, her statement shows a gross misunderstanding of the transmission characteristics

She may be able to account for her behavior, be that as it may, but her statement is so inaccurate

She has no idea what is in or on those bags she puts in her trunk
No idea of how and by whom the food was prepared and bagged, or who gathered and bagged the groceries

It's a sore spot with me
The lack of public education from health departments and the government

They talk all day long about all the places you can go and things you can do and occasionally a brief mention of washing hands and the 6ft thing

It's not enough.

My view and opinion

Yes, the covid roller coaster can be a rough ride at times. I never knew I had such a wide range of emotions.

Several woman friends and I got together this morning and rode our bikes around the neighborhood. We honked our horns, rang our bike bells. Lots of folks came out to say hello or join us on our ride. Because most of us have covid-hair due to four months without haircuts, etc. , we did our hair up in tiny scrunchy pony tails all over our heads. Lots of silly fun and a lot of laughs.
Oh that sounds like such fun. Can I join you Ladies? LOL I best get moving it's a long ride from me to you LOL

I think you're just missing all the updates saying just that. Call the hotline. I see them all the time. A lot of people trivialize mental health issues. I think when you've seen the fallout, it's probably a bit more real. Jmo

I have not seen one press conference that actually discusses mental health and suicide in the United States in a thoughtful manner. Or seen any news articles that have actual data and evidence.

The real question is, who wouldn't have mental health issues right now? And for many of us working in stressful environments, it is even more escalated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305