Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Governor Northam said so, it is in the Code of Virginia, so he says. No one can find it in the code.

Worked 44 yrs in healthcare administration, after semi retirement I became a licensed NH Administrator in VA. I reviewed the entire code of VA, reviewed all the NH laws, polices, called several other administrators NO ONE has ever heard of this nor can we find it written. This comes up at least once a week at the presser, he won't say what code, he just grins and moves to the next question. Just like when we ask how many nursing homes have been tested.

Moo...
Has this oddity been published? Does the press challenge him? How can he be taken seriously?

May 22, 2020, 11:16 AM EDT

Nursing home in Michigan lockdown unaware of elderly patient beating until viral video surfaced on Twitter
Me mad! :mad:

Police said a nursing home under strict Michigan coronavirus lockdown measures was unaware of an attack on an elderly patient until a viral video surfaced on Twitter, which prompted a response from Donald Trump.

"Is this even possible to believe? Can this be real?" the president wrote. "Where is this nursing home, how is the victim doing?"
ea478bf55eccf1c877872100b4e0ef90

Man-Arrested-After-Video-Surfaces-Of-Him-Beating-Up-Elderly-Nursing-Home-Patient.png

ccelebritiesOLD-MAN-BEATEN-BY-CARER-COMP-JF-1210x642.jpg

The woman who first noticed the video and alerted police said that if the Detroit nursing home had been receiving visitors, action might have been taken sooner.

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has implemented some of the US's strictest coronavirus lockdown measures, which forbid elderly nursing home patients from having family visit.

Detroit police make arrest after nursing home assault video surfaces
Me glad ;)...yes justice!

May 22, 2020, 12:27 AM EDT
By Dennis Romero
Detroit police have arrested a 20-year-old man in connection to an assault of a nursing home patient that was captured on video.

A lawyer for the Westwood Rehabilitation Nursing Center said the suspect in the May 15 attack on the 75-year-old man was a temporary resident there for rehabilitation and recovery, according to NBC affiliate WDIV.

The victim's injuries were not thought to be life-threatening, officials said. The suspect's name was not released.

"What our investigation has revealed so far was the nursing home was unaware of an assault until they saw the video," Detroit police Chief James Craig said at a news conference Thursday.

Last edited:
"Less than two-thirds of Americans are "very" or "somewhat" interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine if one becomes available, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Thursday. About a quarter of those surveyed had little or no interest in taking a vaccine, Reuters reported, and more than 40% said the vaccine could be riskier than the disease."

Poll finds many Americans wary of taking coronavirus vaccine: report
Can hardly believe this. Is my brother really from the same family as I am? He said he will not get the vaccine. Doesn't trust it. Huh?

Sure, their choice to allow themselves to contaminate and be contaminated. Do we want to be in their presence when they visit supermarkets, drug stores, etc? It may be their choice to pack into houses of worship, but they have no right to make us sick in return.
I am not about to go to church. Church is meant to be a social worship, and I fell, considering the present situation, that God and I can talk elsewhere.
You took the words right out of my mouth
I agree so much

On a national morning show, they were interviewing a person who works at a job picking up groceries and fast-food and restaurant food and delivering it

This person said she always puts the bags of groceries and food in her trunk where there are no germs
That's false
There ARE germs in her trunk

Concerning the coronavirus specifically, her statement shows a gross misunderstanding of the transmission characteristics

She may be able to account for her behavior, be that as it may, but her statement is so inaccurate

She has no idea what is in or on those bags she puts in her trunk
No idea of how and by whom the food was prepared and bagged, or who gathered and bagged the groceries

It's a sore spot with me
The lack of public education from health departments and the government

They talk all day long about all the places you can go and things you can do and occasionally a brief mention of washing hands and the 6ft thing

It's not enough.

My view and opinion
This virus has really brought out the uneducated Americans. How did they ever get through school?

Maybe HCQ should be a choice too. Doctors could just give folks a little piece of paper saying "ok, your choice".
The trial that was recently mentioned stated that the trials were on seriously ill patients so I am wondering if they get permission from the next of kin. I would imagine that they have too.

Why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine

Why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine

Ian Sample Science editor
3 hrs ago
It would be hard to overstate the importance of developing a vaccine to Sars-CoV-2 – it’s seen as the fast track to a return to normal life. That’s why the health secretary, Matt Hancock, declared the UK was “throwing everything at it”.

But while trials have been launched and manufacturing deals already signed – Oxford University is now recruiting 10,000 volunteers for the next phase of its research – ministers and their advisers have become noticeably more cautious in recent days.

This is why.
Vaccines are simple in principle but complex in practice. The ideal vaccine protects against infection, prevents its spread, and does so safely.

But none of this is easily achieved, as vaccine timelines show.

More than 30 years after scientists isolated HIV, the virus that causes Aids, we have no vaccine. The dengue fever virus was identified in 1943, but the first vaccine was approved only last year, and even then amid concerns it made the infection worse in some people. The fastest vaccine ever developed was for mumps. It took four years.

Scientists have worked on coronavirus vaccines before, so are not starting from scratch. Two coronaviruses have caused lethal outbreaks before, namely Sars and Mers, and vaccine research went ahead for both. But none have been licensed, partly because Sars fizzled out and Mers is regional to the Middle East. The lessons learned will help scientists create a vaccine for Sars-CoV-2, but there is still an awful lot to learn about the virus.
A chief concern is that coronaviruses do not tend to trigger long-lasting immunity. About a quarter of common colds are caused by human coronaviruses, but the immune response fades so rapidly that people can become reinfected the next year.

Has this oddity been published? Does the press challenge him? How can he be taken seriously?

Yes, they challenge him!! He is the ONLY Governor that is a PHYSICIAN. CBS Richmond, VA, NBC12, NBC4 Washington has developed an I team and we are sending all newspaper/TV that are naming the NH and the number of deaths to complied a list and possible count. The VA Dept of Health is the governing body for NH, ALF in VA.
News4 I-Team Crowdsources Virginia Long-Term Care Outbreaks After State Refuses to Disclose Facility Names

VA Hospital Association is reporting what some facilities report to them. Especially the lack of PPE, which the Governor refuses to give to NHs, says they need to purchase. However he gave out 40k mask to the low income housing projects in Richmond, in one day. They are testing all those that want a test in all Richmond housing projects but not in the 170 nursing homes with outbreaks. Please, don't think I am being judgmental about public housing, my husband worked for HUD and was one of the best Grant writers for the state and recognized by two of our previous governors. We were both passionate about public housing!!

Virginia Licensed Nursing Facility COVID-19 Dashboard

Yes, they ask, and ask, and ask and he just grins and goes to the next question. The pressers are MWF at 2pm. I can send you a link, be prepare to pick your jaw off the floor.

And to add to this craziness, Northern VA is now independent of the state, they are not open, doing their own testing, holding their own pressers and completely ignore the Governor. Now Richmond has decided to not open, holding their own pressers and is working a deal for free testing and housing for those infected. VA Beach is OPEN for business, even though they have major outbreaks at the poultry plants (CDC did testing and VA NOT including in the count). Governor refused to issue order that NVA and Richmond can't come to areas that are open.

I'll provide links for any of the above. I know, its hard to believe, I ask myself after each, is this real?

Moo....

I went to get my snow tires off and the summer tires on today ... I know, I know, what's the rush? Covid protocol was in place. First I had to show proof that I had an appointment to get through the road block.

The garage doesn't have a waiting room any more. Customers stay behind their wheel since mechanics do not get into your car. I had a great time, driving onto the hoist and going up, up, up. With all the windows down, I could enjoy the smell of fresh tires and hear the stupefying garage music. Before I finished reading a chapter, I came back down, down, down. It was a fun adventure.

I'm to come back after putting on 100 kms. That could be next fall when it's time to put the snows back on.

My next outing is in just three weeks, to the annual hazardous waste collection day. I'll put my jar of batteries in the trunk and the nice folks at the collection will gather them right out of the trunk and reclaim or recycle, or whatever it is they do with the stuff. This will be great fun. The whole village lines up for this event. The press will likely be there.

I've just been reading about "lived density". We talk a lot about death rate per population, and it's true that population density plays a part in the spread of the virus. What is more accurate however, is measuring a country's density in terms of areas in which people actually live. So, as an example, Australia and Canada have low population density, but their lived density is much higher because something like 90% of the people live in 10% of the space. Likewise, Spain is pretty empty in the middle so their density looks lower, but the 80% of people in built up coastal resorts don't experience that.

I found a chart (linked below) which seems to correspond lived density with the worst affected European countries. Stacks up. I imagine looking at lived density per US state would show similar patterns. I've mentioned Oregon before as being the closest state in size to the UK. Oregon has a population of 4.2million, the UK has 15 times as many people crammed into the same space. England fares even worse on its own - approx the size of Alabama we take up about half the land area of the UK but have 55 million inhabitants, while the other half (Wales, NI & Scotland) have only 12 million between them.

There's a Better Way to Measure Population Density - CityLab

Anyway I'm rambling because it's late, and my eyes hurt because I've had a crappy sad old day and I cried with mascara on and now they're gritty. So it's goodnight from me. Hoping to feel more positive about the world tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks