Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

No nagging feeling from me. To me, Peter was a highly controlling man and took his daughter and wife's life because he did control them. He had his dream and had left his job because others would not see his dream the way he did. He tried to live his dream and failed.
So he killed them and himself. A coward.

Were their previous acts of DV by Peter? Do others describe him as controlling?
I missed any articles that described him as controlling, abusive or violent.

I agree with you that Peter Miles has only been described as "controlling, abusive or violent" post killings. Whereas the separated husband was stalking the property in the days leading up to the murders.

Were their previous acts of DV by Peter? Do others describe him as controlling?
I missed any articles that described him as controlling, abusive or violent.

We don't know of any, or any police records for domestic violence accusations. But DV is often hidden from anyone outside the family so there might not be any public record of it to find.

I
Back on the Osmington murders... I am still not convinced that Peter Miles was the murderer, and I am deeply suspicious of the ex-husband.

The police statements are ambiguous regarding the actions of Peter Miles and they took a while to call it a murder/suicide rather than just murder. They describe how the body was found slumped in a chair and the position of the gun, instead of saying he shot himself. The person who made the 5:15am call was described as "a male person connected to the property" which is pretty vague considering Peter was the only adult male found there. "We know where the call was made from, we know whose phone it was made from," said WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson." Why would you specify those details instead of saying Peter called from the property?

It makes me think they are trying avoid specifics while they investigate further, a bit like with Baden-Clay.

The ex was stalking Katrina, by her own words on Facebook. He spoke of the children like they were possessions, not people. He immediately blamed Peter for the killings, but also praised him for the skill it took. Viewed from another perspective, it could be seen as disguised bragging. Many people who knew the family automatically assumed it was the ex who killed them and were very shocked to hear it was the grandfather.

Regarding Peter Miles' depression - as has been said here before, many people are depressed but don't kill their family. By itself it's not sufficient motive. He may have also been controlling and misogynistic, because you never know what goes on behind closed doors. But if you leave out the running commentary from the ex, you're left with 2 bits of info: a) the grandmother alluding to difficult family issues, which could also refer to any of the sons' problems, the stalking ex, or the stress of homeschooling 4 kids while trying to run a small farm. b) the neighbour offering work and getting the impression that Peter wasn't that enthused about it, which may indicate suicidal inclinations but could also be the usual spaced-out feeling that comes from adjusting to newly-prescribed medication. I feel like these details could be interpreted either way.

And anyone with low literacy could have written that note. My father's writing is similar when he is not under the influence of any legal or illegal drugs but is tired or in a hurry. He had a poor education, but he is intelligent and well-spoken and before retirement he did manual labour which didn't need much paperwork done so he never got much practice after leaving school.

That we're hearing about the note from the ex rather than police seems very self-serving to me, as do all of his statements to the media. His activism now is centered on the custody issues he was obsessed with before the murders, not mental health or autism or domestic violence.

Obviously this is all speculation and suspicion on my part. I have no evidence beyond what we've all seen in the media. It just doesn't make sense to me when compared to other murder/suicides, and I'm deeply troubled by it. I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but I know that people on this forum will understand that nagging feeling about a case.

I am new to this page, and have not trawled through the 35 pages of commentary, but I would agree with everything you have written here. I do not believe that Peter did it, I saw the family every week and spoke to Cynda at 7pm on the night before she was murdered.

I

I am new to this page, and have not trawled through the 35 pages of commentary, but I would agree with everything you have written here. I do not believe that Peter did it, I saw the family every week and spoke to Cynda at 7pm on the night before she was murdered.

Many of us believe the same.
Thank you.

Back on the Osmington murders... I am still not convinced that Peter Miles was the murderer, and I am deeply suspicious of the ex-husband.

The police statements are ambiguous regarding the actions of Peter Miles and they took a while to call it a murder/suicide rather than just murder. They describe how the body was found slumped in a chair and the position of the gun, instead of saying he shot himself. The person who made the 5:15am call was described as "a male person connected to the property" which is pretty vague considering Peter was the only adult male found there. "We know where the call was made from, we know whose phone it was made from," said WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson." Why would you specify those details instead of saying Peter called from the property?

It makes me think they are trying avoid specifics while they investigate further, a bit like with Baden-Clay.

The ex was stalking Katrina, by her own words on Facebook. He spoke of the children like they were possessions, not people. He immediately blamed Peter for the killings, but also praised him for the skill it took. Viewed from another perspective, it could be seen as disguised bragging. Many people who knew the family automatically assumed it was the ex who killed them and were very shocked to hear it was the grandfather.

Regarding Peter Miles' depression - as has been said here before, many people are depressed but don't kill their family. By itself it's not sufficient motive. He may have also been controlling and misogynistic, because you never know what goes on behind closed doors. But if you leave out the running commentary from the ex, you're left with 2 bits of info: a) the grandmother alluding to difficult family issues, which could also refer to any of the sons' problems, the stalking ex, or the stress of homeschooling 4 kids while trying to run a small farm. b) the neighbour offering work and getting the impression that Peter wasn't that enthused about it, which may indicate suicidal inclinations but could also be the usual spaced-out feeling that comes from adjusting to newly-prescribed medication. I feel like these details could be interpreted either way.

And anyone with low literacy could have written that note. My father's writing is similar when he is not under the influence of any legal or illegal drugs but is tired or in a hurry. He had a poor education, but he is intelligent and well-spoken and before retirement he did manual labour which didn't need much paperwork done so he never got much practice after leaving school.

That we're hearing about the note from the ex rather than police seems very self-serving to me, as do all of his statements to the media. His activism now is centered on the custody issues he was obsessed with before the murders, not mental health or autism or domestic violence.

Obviously this is all speculation and suspicion on my part. I have no evidence beyond what we've all seen in the media. It just doesn't make sense to me when compared to other murder/suicides, and I'm deeply troubled by it. I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but I know that people on this forum will understand that nagging feeling about a case.

I totally see where you're coming from, Jennifer. It makes sense. And it wouldn't be the first time a woman with a controlling father married a controlling husband.

Unless the police say different, there won't be any other info coming out about it anyway. I don't suppose there's any way to find out if the investigation is closed or not unless a journalist asks them about it. But they did say the investigation might take a few weeks, and by then it was out of the news, so I'll always have a little question mark besides this one, I suppose.

I agree with you that Peter Miles has only been described as "controlling, abusive or violent" post killings. Whereas the separated husband was stalking the property in the days leading up to the murders.

I

I’m very glad to not only find a place where others reflect my beliefs but also where someone is still as concerned months later about this situation as I am. Until I see clear and confirmed evidence to the contrary, I can’t inagine ever changing my mind that AC so obviously did this.

And to Cath, I’m likewise glad to hear someone that knows them strongly believes Peter didn’t do this.

It’s been an awfully long time without any news or update on an inquest etc.

It’s hard enough seeing an abusive ex getting so much sympathy without any accountability, let alone a possible perpetrator getting away with it.

With all the hallmarks of a guilty person though, surely the police are onto him.

Fingers crossed.

It was the town folk who knew and truly believed Mathew Dunbar did not suicide and it was they who shook the tree and eventually convinced the police to look further into Natasha who since has been convicted of his murder.

My point here is if you and any others know anything further, be it conversations prior to the murders or anything then that could sway the police to look further into this horrific crime. The smallest piece could be pivotal.

I agree there’s something that doesn’t sit well with me and many others on this forum, that there was stalking, parking outside the property in obvious sight which equals harassment IMO but unfortunately, if others don’t stand up then the truth will die along with these victims.

Widow told police her partner took his own life

My point here is if you and any others know anything further, be it conversations prior to the murders or anything then that could sway the police to look further into this horrific crime. The smallest piece could be pivotal.

I agree there’s something that doesn’t sit well with me and many others on this forum, that there was stalking, parking outside the property in obvious sight which equals harassment IMO but unfortunately, if others don’t stand up then the truth will die along with these victims.

Agree. I’m really just some rubbernecker from the other side of the country but I hope some locals are demanding thorough investigation.

The family was well-known in the Margaret River region and despite it being almost a year since the seven deaths, the community is still struggling to regain its feet.

Cynda was an active member in the coastal community, volunteering for various groups and often helping locals with gardening, crafts or leading recycling initiatives.

After her death, local community group Transition Margaret River said Cynda had “touched all our lives”.

“We mourn Cynda Miles and her much-loved family,” the group said. “She was always there for us with a big smile and a warm hug, scones, homemade jam, pots of seedlings, baskets of produce, enthusiasm and love.

“She touched all our lives. We will try to pull together to keep her special projects going.”

Mr Miles was also well-known in the area, working as a farm manager and handyman for years and had previously worked at the Margaret River High School farm.

But it was Katrina, an advocate for homeschooling children and a huge support for other parents with autistic kids, that has been especially felt by those in the autism community.

All four of Katrina’s kids had autism and were homeschooled by the West Australian mum.

Community hit by mass shooting crying out

Aaron Cockman endured the unthinkable when his four children were killed by their grandfather. He opens up about how he has kept going.

I’ve always been a positive person, but when I was first told the news that my four beautiful children were dead, I fell into a state of shock.

For a couple of months I didn’t go to work.

Mentally I went downhill very fast. People suggested I go to seek help from the doctor, but I knew what an impact not taking care of myself was having on my state of mind.

I knew I wasn’t depressed. I was incredibly, overwhelmingly, sad.

‘Life after my beautiful children were murdered’

Aaron Cockman endured the unthinkable when his four children were killed by their grandfather. He opens up about how he has kept going.

I’ve always been a positive person, but when I was first told the news that my four beautiful children were dead, I fell into a state of shock.

For a couple of months I didn’t go to work.

Mentally I went downhill very fast. People suggested I go to seek help from the doctor, but I knew what an impact not taking care of myself was having on my state of mind.

I knew I wasn’t depressed. I was incredibly, overwhelmingly, sad.

‘Life after my beautiful children were murdered’

Hmmmmm.

Unsure.
About this case in general tbh.
But I guess we aren't privy to many details of the investigation. Maybe then we would understand more, but I just dunno.

". . . It was the lawyer system that drove events in our family and the terrible financial cost and long timescale of the family court made it so much more stressful for Kat’s family.” . . . “There is one thing, I know, that would have made all the difference: a completely different approach to family separation. One that kept kids and their families away from lawyers and family courts.”
About – aaron4kids foundation

The father, who lost his four children in the Margaret River massacre, says he can't leave the town because it holds too many memories.
On the eve of the first anniversary, Aaron Cockman spoke about how his grief is still as raw as it was almost 12 months ago.
"I almost don't understand what coping means, when someone asks 'How are you coping?'. Well I'm alive, I'm getting through life," he said.
I still can't see video footage of the kids yet, I still can't look at photos."
'I still can't look at the photos'

The father, who lost his four children in the Margaret River massacre, says he can't leave the town because it holds too many memories.
On the eve of the first anniversary, Aaron Cockman spoke about how his grief is still as raw as it was almost 12 months ago.
"I almost don't understand what coping means, when someone asks 'How are you coping?'. Well I'm alive, I'm getting through life," he said.
I still can't see video footage of the kids yet, I still can't look at photos."
'I still can't look at the photos'

Losing one child must be terrible enough. Losing all four must be horrendous. How does a person recover from that?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back