Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
As i really respect LE's integrity of information release. It would be nice to confirm or debunk some stuff to stop the rumor train.

They have been trying to do whack a mole to debunk widespread rumor which happened, most recently as of yesterday afternoon.

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
18 hrs ·
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 22, 2020 (Updated Release)

A search being conducted at a residence on the east side of Salida in connection with the Suzanne Morphew missing person case has concluded for the day. Investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI plan to return to the site to continue the search on Saturday, May 23, 2020.

In response to widespread rumors, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office relays that Ms. Morphew has not been located and there have been no arrests in the investigation.

An update will be provided at the conclusion of the search

Release from 1:00 pm on May 22

Based on information developed during the Suzanne Morphew missing person case, investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are conducting a search at a residential property on the east side of the Salida.

The property owner is fully cooperative with law enforcement and is not connected with the disappearance of Ms. Morphew. No details about the search are being released at this time. Additionally, it is not known how long this search will take law enforcement.

An update will be provided at the conclusion of the search.

There will be no updates during the search."

RBBM

That’s what I was thinking. Do they have a small fire pit? I couldn’t tell if my neighbors had a small fire. People burn brush here all the time - just carefully since we’re in the forest too. If the neighborhood is mostly AirBnBs would people really call the police over a fire down the block in a place they don’t live? I know I wouldn’t unless I saw a house on fire.
There was a fire pit at the Morphew home wasn't there? I thought I saw one with chairs around it?"

LE seemed to be very precise in the square of concrete they cut out, yet are using a sifter on the dirt underneath. How did they choose that particular square and not a square 15 feet away?
Did someone tip them to that particular spot or did they use ground radar to choose the spot? And, if they used either method to choose that particular spot, wouldn't you think they would have found something? This is making me nuts !

A couple of random observations--

Going by what we can see in the Daily Mail photos, it looks like the people in the tent are mostly FBI.

There are pits and ditches all over the place. It looks like an archaeological excavation.

The property is under renovation. Some of the pits and ditches look to me like they are not a part of the search, but rather, footings and piers for a deck maybe, and trenches and pits for utilities and other necessities with a new build.

IMO sifting implies to me they're not expecting to locate a full intact body. Sorry to be gruesome but that's what it looks like to me.

< no barnyard animal noises, I'm not cattle>

This has been mentioned, but along with a body, they are probably checking to see if any trace evidence shows up. And I imagine it will be done slowly, layer by layer, much like an archaeological excavation. Because nothing pertaining to SM should show up under that concrete.

I haven’t looked at all the pictures so forgive me if this is a stupid question but is it a finished house someone is living in or is it in the process of being built?

When you look up the actual address of the property they are searching, google maps shows a house and another structure on it. From the current photos in the DM I don't see a house...just cement.

I'll try to find the news story where it was reported the landowner was rebuilding on this property, which means the older structures were razed and removed.

That’s what I’m thinking too...they are looking for small objects that will get caught in the sifters. That helicopter footage of the dig sites is incredible. It gives us a much better idea of what they have already dug up and how much more concrete there still is intact. But it looked like multiple grave-like holes were dug up on in the dirt embankment that were not under concrete. The areas are so spread out it makes me wonder if they are finding “evidence” and it is just all spread out? Perhaps testing has begun on something already found. The helicopter footage made me think of the aerial helicopter or drone footage of the M’s house...remember that small area that had yellow tape? Not really surrounding an area but it was in a sort of zig zag line through a walkway area by the driveway. Anyway just purely speculating but what if something was burned in that area? That’s so morbid I know but it just feels like they aren’t searching for an intact normal size body in those sifters. Unless maybe they are looking for a weapon? Anyway it’s good to be back. I’m trying to be careful what I say. What is MOO? My own opinion?? I keep thinking of a cow when I see that. Lol :D

I think some of what you are calling grave-like holes are actually footings or piers for the foundation of a deck or something.

But all IMO.

And to the question of who pays: it depends! You can try to get the city to pay but often times it falls on the homeowner.

https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1382&context=wmborj
BBM:

Wow.

That's just wrong. Really, really wrong.

It doesn't exactly encourage private citizens to assist LE if they're going to be left on the hook for major expenses, to say nothing of the level of overall disruption it's caused in this case, i.e., LE tramping all over their private property, helicopters flying overhead, reporters banging on their door, etc.

I would certainly hope that the authorities would tell these property owners to go ahead and send them the bill.

Reminds me of the poor landlord who rented his home to the Stauch family.

I feel sorry for these property owners.

They've been made ancillary victims, as well.

JMO.

It's not a remote location. The property is close to the road, not in the middle of the woods. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is a "good" spot to dispose of a body. It seems the opposite to me.

JMO Tate123, but I think a new construction site is as good a place as any if one thinks that a body buried under concrete will not be found because the building will surely outlive the person who put it there. (i.e. a couple of weeks of sweating until the home is finished and no sweat for the next 30 to 40 years)

BBM:

Wow.

That's just wrong. Really, really wrong.

It doesn't exactly encourage private citizens to assist LE if they're going to be left on the hook for major expenses, to say nothing of the level of overall disruption it's caused in this case, i.e., LE tramping all over their private property, helicopters flying overhead, reporters banging on their door, etc.

I would certainly hope that the authorities would tell these property owners to go ahead and send them the bill.

Reminds me of the poor landlord who rented his home to the Stauch family.

JMO.
Perhaps BM will help with the reimbursement. Didn't he say he'd pay "whatever it takes" to find Suzanne?

Here is a Google Earth image of where the cement slab is located on the right side of County Road 105... and just past Vandaveer Street. You can see the red garage on the right hand side of the Google Earth street view photo.

The cement slab the FBI is examining is on the right side of a larger cement slab which is all that remains of a house you can still see on the Google Earth aerial "photo."

It's hard to imagine where or how the home owner could be living on this construction site, because the DM photo shows that the original home site has been removed in order to build a new home on the property lot.

The 3d and 4th photo are from Daily Mail: one is an aerial shot showing the house on the left is gone and the very first DM photo shows the red garage which is seen in photos from DM which is located on the right of the construction lot. Suzanne Morphew's husband was paid to lay dirt at the building site Colorado cops are searching | Daily Mail Online

I don't think there is any concrete left from the older house. Besides the slabs in the photos all looking recently poured, the new house looks to have a very different footprint from the old one, and with a different design, utilities, etc., all need to be relocated where they enter/exit the new structure. IMO

Here are some generalities about the search. All are my opinion, based on years of experience:

(1) Many searches conducted by LE are done out of simple application of good sense. If the spouse of a missing person is a gravedigger, LE would certainly want to examine the work that he did in his cemetery during the appropriate time. LE doesn't need a giant "Aha!" moment to get a search warrant. They need to use common sense and gauge their application for a warrant accordingly.
(2) Property owners rarely hire workers directly, and have nothing to do with the scheduling. The owner deals with a general contractor, who in turn sub-contracts with firms of the trade, who then again sub-contract labor to independent workmen.
(3) Colorado recognizes that building conditions are radically different in the mountains, and therefore has a separate method of applying National Building codes to what is commonly called "mountain construction". It is useless to sit as I do in Montana, and say: "Gee, I've never seen that before and I know my codes. What we see can't be right. It's against code."

Now, within those parameters, my further opinion is:
(a) The sight appears to be flat in some pictures, but when you study it, there is a steep slope down to the river's edge. When you look at the pictures taken by news people with telephoto lenses from across the river, it becomes obvious that there is fill dirt mounded very high between the lower part of the house and the river. In one picture of LE sifting dirt under the canopy and there is a mound of dirt in the foreground......that is a telephoto shot from across the river. What you see is only the very top of a large mounding of dirt below the level where LE is located.
(b) When I look at the overall array of concrete, It is going to be a multi faceted, rambling structure. When I look for utility stubs, etc. I don't see ones that I would associate with a house. If you were to tell me it's going to be a restaurant, I would believe you. That hole where the canopy was erected does not look to me like it was cut by LE yesterday. It looks like it was part of the concrete pour..........for a void in the structure for architectural effect or for a more utilitarian purpose, like a sump well for to prevent seepage from the river in high water events. My point is that I don't know what it is.
(c) My rough guess of how much concrete has been poured so far is a minimum of ten full truckloads. That wasn't all done in a day.
(d) At no time does any version of the building code allow structural concrete to be poured over fresh backfill, even freshly compacted backfill. Being a river bank site, the rock base was probably not deep. A bulldozer was probably used to level up the site and remove the topsoil to expose the base, then the pads were poured and THEN a landscaper would have come in to backfill to the pad edges and contour the property. It appears to me that the landscaper was about half done with that job.
Conclusion: In a recent prominent case on WS, there were pages and pages of debate over what LE's purpose was in sifting through a large landfill for weeks. I posted before they even started that I believed that when LE ran out of other places to look, they had to do it. They wouldn't have been doing their job if they didn't try it. As samples went into their mobile lab, speculation as to each piece's effect on the case was rampant. When the actual trial was held, the landfill search was never mentioned. Not one shred of usable evidence, but the absence of landfill evidence certainly contributed to proving a theory of body disposal that I certainly never saw coming. Having been once burnt, I am prone to sit back and let this thing unfold on it's own schedule. IMO

JMO Tate123, but I think a new construction site is as good a place as any if one thinks that a body buried under concrete will not be found because the building will surely outlive the person who put it there. (i.e. a couple of weeks of sweating until the home is finished and no sweat for the next 30 to 40 years)

right?! and hypothetically, say the person that put her there knew that concrete was going to be poured very soon after the day she went missing. it could have been foolproof. the killer is not a COMPLETE idiot. lol. MOO moooo.

It appears to be close to Vandaveer Rd. and CR 105 going by this photo (around to the left curve)

Lauren Scharf on Twitter

EBM. Had the roads wrong.. fixed it! Sorry
Thanks, I found it on the permit database. FWIW, Barry's company is not listed. So if he did work there, he was likely a sub to another contractor or his portion didn't even require a permit.

Good point.

I dont think anyone reported dogs being used on the property. Maybe they discretley used them prior to digging evading media notice.
A neighbor to the dig site says LE were there
all day Thursday AND Friday searching.
Also said the owners of said lot live in neighboring town and this is their retirement home they're building.
So it's possible dogs were on the site before media got wind of the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288