Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that too. It certainly leaves wide open the possibility that they sent a whole bunch of stuff to the lab to be tested and identified and will have a connection in the future.

I think so. It usually takes less than a week for high priority evidence to turn around. If a suspect is brought in for questioning or detained at the end of the week, it could mean that they did find something.

However, I would be very surprised if any part of Suzanne was found at the construction site. Perhaps other evidence related to the crime was put at that location. I have no idea what that would be, as soft kill (such as strangulation) is so much cleaner in spousal homicide.

I'm curious how, specifically?

I hate to bore people here by being repetitive but I’ve written several times about how this was never handled like a standard missing person case. No BOLOs with a description, no requests for anyone in X vicinity (where bike or “personal object” was found) to report anything they saw, not even any requests for people to review their residential cameras (just “keep the footage—but please don’t send it to us”). That works fine when there really is a lot of evidence implicating someone. Doesn’t work well at all when, as in this case, there apparently is not. I think the sheriff basically had a feeling, and he’s not finding evidence to support that feeling. No matter who (if anyone) is ultimately charged, the handling of the case is a defense attorney’s dream. An outsider points to the husband, who was always the chief suspect, and the husband screams “they never even considered anyone else.”

Wow. Nothing found. Has there ever been a case where perp acts really obviously guilty and LE wastes their time looking where perp wants them to look? Obviously Scott Peterson's plan was to dump body in the water and then "prove" he was playing golf that day, but I can't remember one where the perp left false "crime scenes." This just seems to have taken a 180 and looks like LE has absolutely no idea what happened.

That’s fair. Questions should still be asked though, else what are we doing here?
I have to take LE’s statement at face value that nothing was found related to this missing persons case until we hear otherwise.

ETA: In your example, they were on site digging for weeks. I assume that if anything of significance was found here, they would still be on site scouring the entire property.

"Investigators searched several locations on the property; however, they were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew’s case at this time at this time." That is what has been reported.

Police had a reason to search that particular construction site. We don't know what it is, but it's reasonable to believe that they used ground penetrating radar and discovered something that interested them.

Patience is required for all police investigations. If something was found, we'll find out in time. It's definitely premature to criticize the investigation.

I hate to bore people here by being repetitive but I’ve written several times about how this was never handled like a standard missing person case. No BOLOs with a description, no requests for anyone in X vicinity (where bike or “personal object” was found) to report anything they saw, not even any requests for people to review their residential cameras (just “keep the footage—but please don’t send it to us”). That works fine when there really is a lot of evidence implicating someone. Doesn’t work well at all when, as in this case, there apparently is not. I think the sheriff basically had a feeling, and he’s not finding evidence to support that feeling. No matter who (if anyone) is ultimately charged, the handling of the case is a defense attorney’s dream. An outsider points to the husband, who was always the chief suspect, and the husband screams “they never even considered anyone else.”

In all sincerity (& just to be clear): are you implying LE has bungled this from get-go by not treating SM as a 'missing person' - ?

IF so, I couldn't disagree more

JMO

In my opinion, they have a suspect and they have some idea of what happened. A case is much stronger with a body. They may already have other physical evidence that links them to their suspect, but they will continue to build the case until they are sure they have enough to convict. Then there will be an arrest.

In my opinion, they have a suspect and they have some idea of what happened. A case is much stronger with a body. They may already have other physical evidence thank links them to their suspect, but they will continue to build the case until they are sure they have enough to convict. Then there will be an arrest.
I agree, but would call it a "person of interest" since they may not have any hard evidence yet.

I think of people who appear to have money but really don't. You know, all flash, no cash. I've known many. They might have a nice income to afford it all, but still be net poor. So, when I see someone with a beautiful home, nice cars, etc., I always wonder.
He offered 100k for her safe return. So, i'm guessing he has at least that. That can be checked out and I'm sure it has been. Now, if I found out he was a billionaire and that's all he offered, my eyebrows would wrinkle.
So true-- I have know Millionaire Wanna-Be's -- all flash, fancy home, clothes and cars yet totally broke as they are in debt up to their eyeballs.
On the flip side- I have known Millionaires who dress in jeans, flannel shirts, scruffy looking and you wouldn't think they had a dime to their name.
He did offer 100K for her "Safe return" so might know he will not have to actually pay that out, but if my suspicions are wrong and he does have to pay it out, he must have set that figure knowing he can afford that. JMO

Last edited:
Police had a reason to search that particular construction site. We don't know what it is, but it's reasonable to believe that they used ground penetrating radar and discovered something that interested them.
BBM. A Fox 21 reporter said on her live stream last night that the search was based on a tip.

LE did not say "at this time" nor did they imply "unless lab results indicate otherwise."

We may assume something needed testing but as of this moment, that is not part of the official 'public record'.

According to Fox21, Crews conclude search at Chaffee County property, no leads found they actually did say "Investigators searched several locations on the property; however, they were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew’s case at this time."

The sheriff's department hasn't posted today's press release on their website. As soon as they do, I'll look to see whether they said it or the reporter added it. If it's the reporter, doesn't mean anything. If it's the sheriff, it's probably significant.

I haven't had an official Mother's Day celebration for over ten years. My daughter married a JW and that put the kibosh on those types of celebrations.

The reality is in the grand scheme of things, it's not really a big deal. And I know my daughter must have some residual guilt because usually a week after Mother's Day I get a beautiful bouquet of flowers and this year it was a Vera Bradley weekender bag.
She's clever and has found a way around not celebrating holidays and sending something on an 'ordinary' day, very loving and extra special.

Stephanie (Butzer) Rose on Twitter
New from the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office just now: The search along County Road 105 in Salida has concluded and despite searching multiple areas on the property, investigators did not make any connections to the #SuzanneMorphew case.
Well, That is disappointing in one way, but good news in another way, if she is still alive.
I don't think she is, but JMO
Although, LE doesn't always tell us everything either.

Yes -- reward has always been for SM's safe return, no questions asked!

It's never been promised for information to locate and/or recover SM.
I watched tonight an awesome who done it. Death in Paradise. In one scene the DI states it was the hubby that never promised he wanted information to locate and/or recover.
Par for the course the killer is revealed...it was the mate.

And, perhaps LE haven’t considered anyone else because they have plenty of cell data to show someone was lying about things from the get-go. Leticia Stauch was arrested BEFORE Gannon’s remains were found by a local worker in Florida. Despite the fact they did not have his remains, they were confident from evidence they obtained they knew who did it and made an arrest. Of course, she’s innocent until proven guilTee :). Just because they have not located SM, and we all hope they do, does not mean they don’t know who did it. They had probable cause to seal off the house and probable cause to search this property. Judges don’t sign search warrants willy nilly.
JMHO
ETA: In case you missed it, it’s not just the Sheriff investigating. He’s got the FBI and CBI for back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77