Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew and her husband Barry Morphew were active members of a Baptist church in Indiana, and members of the community there are concerned about Suzanne’s well-being as the investigation into her disappearance enters its third week.

“Suzanne is a sweetheart of a woman; a kind soul,” said Jeremy Parsons, who attended the same church as the Morphews before they moved to Colorado in 2018, and occassionally went to their home for a monthly game night with other members of the church community.

Yikes! that scenario is so similar to a guy I worked with. His wife had ovarian cancer and he was complaining on his break to other male associates that she wasn't interested in sex!! He was having an affair with my boss and they got married after his wife passed away.

Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors so I don't have an opinion about the Morphew's marriage, but I also know of a situation like the one you describe. He: Whining and complaining about not having his needs met because she's sick. Meanwhile: She's fighting for her life.

‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

a couple of things that pinged my interest:

The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.

--

Suzanne’s relative said they did not know Trevor Noel, and was not sure why Barry Morphew’s mother was the recipient of the ******** donatons, though they did note that the fundraiser may be supplementing travel and housing costs for relatives who traveled to central Colorado.

--

The relative said they have doubts about whether Suzanne actually went for a bike ride on May 10

Sounds to me like Suzanne's side of the family has some suspicion of things.

Snipped for brevity

I completely agree. MOO. The controlling aspect is a red flag. MOO.

MOO BM’s public plea was merely for the jury. In the event he is named as a POI or suspect, this would stand as a way of casting reasonable doubt to even one juror.

Again, purely speculation and MOO.
It must have been conveyed to him by many , in both subtle and direct ways, that his invisibility was raising suspicions about his version of events. It seems like he put it off as long as he could, then only addressed her disappearance in the most controlled way that he could orchestrate.
Ok, cognisant of what moderators/admin have most recently about the importance of not posting comments that are directly accusatory of BM, I am writing the following with same in mind:

Video posted by BM, imploring whoever has Suzanne to let her go/that a substantial reward is available.
Re the video content - I am not prepared to discuss, in detail, the specifics I cite about the content. I don't want to dissect the various elements I refer to, for obvious professional reasons.
In the course of my clinical work, I have analyzed multiple appeals given by relatives/friends in the case of missing persons and suspected murder cases. Sometimes I've done this as a forensic psychiatrist. Earlier in my psychiatric medical career, I did so as a clinical psychologist. In situations where I have detained patients under mental health acts (for their own or others' protection), I have sometimes been privy to police interviews with those patients.

So, appeals made by individuals are commonly some of the richest sources of evidential material. They are always analyzed by experts, as part of LE inquiries. The interviewee/s are never told this, for obvious reasons.

The video made by BM is one in which I immediately noted 9 phases of some of the most serious red flags. This is a very high index. I'm not referring to common tells, known by a large percentage of populations with an interest in crime sleuthing. And when I refer to phases, this does not refer to one instance, but rather a particular set of behaviours, however many times they occur during the course of an interview.
The evidential material unwittingly provided by BM would give absolute justification for LE conducting immediate, extensive analyses on the home, very possibly for the purpose of reconstructing a crime scene. It doesn't render him guilty. It does, however, provide an abundance of clues.

The video content gave the police a valid reason to examine the home address. They would have been remiss had they not done so. For those of you saying it took the police over a week to go over the house, they would have needed justification for a search warrant. BM's video provided that in bucketfuls.

This case will probably turn out to be a murder. It is highly unlikely that Suzanne ran away. Look at the photos with her girls. They are close and love one another. She would not leave them without a word. The police will know when they were last in touch with her.

The police have BM's car and phone. They will already know when and where he travelled. They are asking for home camera etc footage from the 8th onwards because they desperately need physical evidence to show certain people on film who can be identified. This is most likely to corroborate existing evidence to make it more watertight.
Obviously this is my personal opinion but draws on my medical background also.
With regard to the LT team. It is my opinion that the level of expertise with which they are operating is exemplary. They are not at liberty to tell us the kinds of things some people are speculating about. They have closed down the sharing of information intentionally, and we should respect that, rather than criticise it.
It's possible that Suzanne's body will never be found. For those who have said they are clutching at straws by destroying someone's property, it was first reported by a CBS channel, I think, that the owner of the property got in touch with LE (the owner was interviewed by the channel), after hearing the news about Suzanne being missing. He wanted the police to know that BM had worked on his property, laying subsoil, the weekend she was reported missing.
LE responded with lightning speed.

Look at the facts. LE brought in CSI and FBI straight away. They assigned over 90 officers to the case. That points to a leader who is keen to marshall all the expertise he can, as quickly as possible. The police personnel, in my opinion, are behaving both expertly and robustly, which I find impressive.
If I can find the interview link between news channel and owner of the house, I'll do so before tomorrow morning (on call presently)

I would like to hear more about your observations of the video made by BM. My intuition told me something's not right, but without precise reasons. It would be fascinating to know what a trained professional deduced and why.

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew and her husband Barry Morphew were active members of a Baptist church in Indiana, and members of the community there are concerned about Suzanne’s well-being as the investigation into her disappearance enters its third week.

“Suzanne is a sweetheart of a woman; a kind soul,” said Jeremy Parsons, who attended the same church as the Morphews before they moved to Colorado in 2018, and occassionally went to their home for a monthly game night with other members of the church community.
BBM: That is too cool! I hope they are all praying for her big time.

Wow. ^^^

Thanks for this informative post !

I think you answered my question about why the concrete needed to be dug up ; among other queries.
Hi! It's also highly likely that LE used exponentially advanced tests. So, they'd very possibly use cadaver dogs 1st - before ground searching equipment - to establish a specific area. Bodies give off 2 particular chemicals that dogs are trained to sniff out. They can sometimes be smelled through concrete. So police will usually use increasingly sophisticated (and often much more expensive) equipment on a sliding scale (they do, after all, have to justify the financial outlay, etc, in their logs/reports.
Given the time frames, they may well have decided to try other equipment, even with a negative cadaver dog response. If Suzanne is no longer alive, they will be at pains to preserve as much evidence as quickly as they can.

So, do we know who sent the message? This is the first time I've heard about a mountain lion in the area, and a bike crash.
"CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered.
“Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part."

It must have been conveyed to him by many , in both subtle and direct ways, that his invisibility was raising suspicions about his version of events. It seems like he put it off as long as he could, then only addressed her disappearance in the most controlled way that he could orchestrate.
You have a valid theory; imo.
Wonder who advised him ?
MOO

Maybe this has been discussed already....but if not this article is interesting.

‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

a couple of things that pinged my interest:

The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.

--

Suzanne’s relative said they did not know Trevor Noel, and was not sure why Barry Morphew’s mother was the recipient of the ******** donatons, though they did note that the fundraiser may be supplementing travel and housing costs for relatives who traveled to central Colorado.

--

“We are as much in the dark as anyone else, because they don’t want information getting out there that might hurt the case. It’s hard to wait and watch and wonder what’s happening,” they said, adding that the situation was “surreal” for Suzanne’s family members.

The relative said they have doubts about whether Suzanne actually went for a bike ride on May 10, as her neighbor reportedly told police. The source said they believed Suzanne’s daughters asked the neighbor to check and see if their mother’s bike was at the home.

---

Sounds to me like Suzanne's side of the family has some suspicion of things.
Thanks for this valuable link, GoJacks !
I will comment on it a bit later but wanted to bump it for now.

So we are getting vague clues about Suzanne and BLM. Suzanne is a "sweetheart," "a kind soul," and their marriage seemed happy to Suzanne's unnamed relative - but Barry "controlled everything" for a long time. Or almost everything.

I'm going to translate into the language I'm more used to using: BLM is the active, more dominant partner and Suzanne is more submissive, probably nurturant. IOW, a known type of relationship, one like my parents had, etc., etc.

While LE (including CBI and FBI) are focusing on several sites, the one thing that all the site have in common (that we know about) is that they are BLM's car (+phone), Suzanne and BLM's house (which is still off limits to him as far as we know), and at least one work site (possibly two) that he's been associated with.

So yes, while LE can go inside BLM's house and take out items with a warrant, in so doing, his life (and Suzanne's) is under scrutiny. There's no way around it. No one could conduct an investigation of someone's house and not at least notice things about that someone. Since we know they took something out of the house, then there was evidence there. It could just be a list of all the people in Suzanne's personal contact book - 0r BLM's. It could be credit card statements that support something that BLM has said (etc).

After the excursion into the Morphew home, LE then went on to other sites. The ones we know about have connections to BLM. Did they get that info from the house? Or, as reported, was it the homeowner at the search site (the concrete site) who called? I would certainly call in that situation, a lot of people would.

Some of us think LE has few ideas about what happened, others think LE has a good idea of what happened.

The unnamed relative of Suzanne thinks the girls are apart from their father and "under protection." I am very glad to hear that.

Ok, cognisant of what moderators/admin have most recently about the importance of not posting comments that are directly accusatory of BM, I am writing the following with same in mind:]
snipped by me

Outstanding post. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge with us. It was thoughtful, well laid out, and very easy for all to read.

Last edited:
LE doesn't do anything willy nilly. This isn't a 3rd world country or the wild west where things like that were/are common.
They have to have evidence to secure warrants, and they have to present it before a judge who ultimately makes the final decision one way or another, if that evidence supports a probable cause action.
So if the leads we ARE hearing about, keep leading them straight to BM, his car, his phone, his job site, his house...
that doesn't tell me they're ignoring any other leads, it tells me they're doing due diligence and it's pointing them right at him.
Despite the lovely family they appear to be on social media.

jmo

I graetly enjoyed your comment. I have lived in the west all of my long life, visiting every nook and cranny for work and play. I have often said that we ARE a third world country, but are having a helluva time getting recognition from our much richer neighbor to the east of us. I agree that the wild west is dead. We now like to call it "the wild, wild west". If it's dead now, too............then we're in for a really tough tourist season. IMO

It is a rehearsed response and only he will know the reason for that at this stage. Pure speculation on my part and I'd have to go back to look at the timeline; it's not uncommon for individuals to speak out once they believe they are "safe". To give you an example, a case in which the person was tried and convicted for murder, he was reticent to say anything because he was "too distraught". I observed him during this time period and noted how he never produced any tears when he was so loudly weeping. There was no physiological reason for this on his part. He was fake crying, and we knowingly let him do an appeal, where he used the same fakery techniques. He realized halfway through his appeal and covered both eyes with a handkerchief.
He'd felt safe to do the appeal because he'd moved the child's body to a place where he thought it would never be found, and so felt more confident about not being caught.

Again, I am not accusing BM of committing a crime. It is a fact that some individuals will feel emboldened when they are on "safe" ground. Having concrete poured on a building site might be one such instance. LE is being circumspect with their findings; it seems - at least superficially - that nothing has emerged from that building site at this point in time.

On the subject of very little information from LE. Does anyone think it’s possible that SM might have gone to someone or LE prior to this happening? Then when she went missing they knew she might have been telling the truth? That’s why everything is so hush hush? That’s why they didn’t assume animal attack, abduction, self harm? That’s why the daughters are quiet? It just seems like LE is gathering info while looking for Suzanne and once they find her an arrest will immediately follow. That’s my personal opinion on how things look right now. Barry’s video didn’t help him at all IMO. It wasn’t sincere, he said “her daughters need her” not our daughters need you. Didn’t even say he needed her. It was a rehearsed tape. He won’t publicly answer questions. Why? Is he being instructed not to talk or is he choosing not to? Why is he so sure someone has her? He says he’ll do whatever it takes but what has he done that we know of? Offering money and no questions asked? Anyone can do that. MOO
Great questions, but honestly, I am not surprised by the lack of information by LE
Most cases I have followed pretty much reaches a point where LE no longer gives the public any information
But, I have faith they are doing their due diligence because as frustrated as I have been in previous cases, I was overwhelmed at the amount of evidence and facts that had recovered during the investigation.
Things they cannot share with us.

Ok, cognisant of what moderators/admin have most recently about the importance of not posting comments that are directly accusatory of BM, I am writing the following with same in mind:

Video posted by BM, imploring whoever has Suzanne to let her go/that a substantial reward is available.
Re the video content - I am not prepared to discuss, in detail, the specifics I cite about the content. I don't want to dissect the various elements I refer to, for obvious professional reasons.
In the course of my clinical work, I have analyzed multiple appeals given by relatives/friends in the case of missing persons and suspected murder cases. Sometimes I've done this as a forensic psychiatrist. Earlier in my psychiatric medical career, I did so as a clinical psychologist. In situations where I have detained patients under mental health acts (for their own or others' protection), I have sometimes been privy to police interviews with those patients.

So, appeals made by individuals are commonly some of the richest sources of evidential material. They are always analyzed by experts, as part of LE inquiries. The interviewee/s are never told this, for obvious reasons.

The video made by BM is one in which I immediately noted 9 phases of some of the most serious red flags. This is a very high index. I'm not referring to common tells, known by a large percentage of populations with an interest in crime sleuthing. And when I refer to phases, this does not refer to one instance, but rather a particular set of behaviours, however many times they occur during the course of an interview.
The evidential material unwittingly provided by BM would give absolute justification for LE conducting immediate, extensive analyses on the home, very possibly for the purpose of reconstructing a crime scene. It doesn't render him guilty. It does, however, provide an abundance of clues.

The video content gave the police a valid reason to examine the home address. They would have been remiss had they not done so. For those of you saying it took the police over a week to go over the house, they would have needed justification for a search warrant. BM's video provided that in bucketfuls.

This case will probably turn out to be a murder. It is highly unlikely that Suzanne ran away. Look at the photos with her girls. They are close and love one another. She would not leave them without a word. The police will know when they were last in touch with her.

The police have BM's car and phone. They will already know when and where he travelled. They are asking for home camera etc footage from the 8th onwards because they desperately need physical evidence to show certain people on film who can be identified. This is most likely to corroborate existing evidence to make it more watertight.
Obviously this is my personal opinion but draws on my medical background also.
With regard to the LT team. It is my opinion that the level of expertise with which they are operating is exemplary. They are not at liberty to tell us the kinds of things some people are speculating about. They have closed down the sharing of information intentionally, and we should respect that, rather than criticise it.
It's possible that Suzanne's body will never be found. For those who have said they are clutching at straws by destroying someone's property, it was first reported by a CBS channel, I think, that the owner of the property got in touch with LE (the owner was interviewed by the channel), after hearing the news about Suzanne being missing. He wanted the police to know that BM had worked on his property, laying subsoil, the weekend she was reported missing.
LE responded with lightning speed.

Look at the facts. LE brought in CSI and FBI straight away. They assigned over 90 officers to the case. That points to a leader who is keen to marshall all the expertise he can, as quickly as possible. The police personnel, in my opinion, are behaving both expertly and robustly, which I find impressive.
If I can find the interview link between news channel and owner of the house, I'll do so before tomorrow morning (on call presently)

^^^^^ This is all so fascinating, but so very sad too. Her poor girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member