Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you call 911 right off the bat because someone didn’t return from a bike ride? Or would you wait until a whole bunch of friends and relatives had tried to get in touch with Suzanne and were unable to as well? There has to be more. If I went out for a bike ride, and I was home alone for the weekend, I might see a friend and stop by for a spell. Maybe even end up having dinner, with my friend saying they would drive me home later and drop off me and my bike. Have a couple of glasses of wine and kick back. Plenty of times I have come home to an empty house when someone should have been home. Haven’t called 911 yet.
I think that's interesting. If you've ever called 911 (999 here) you'll know it's a v nerve wracking thing to do. It is for me anyway. Heart in my mouth surreal feeling. The last time was when I saw a car come off the road in front of me, so easy decision.

Unless you're a fruit loop who does it for kicks, I think it takes a form of courage to cross that point and call the number.

Having said that, if there was a chance she could be injured and need help quickly, I think that would be an easy decision too. Point is, how would you be so sure she was nowhere else?

Would you call 911 right off the bat because someone didn’t return from a bike ride? Or would you wait until a whole bunch of friends and relatives had tried to get in touch with Suzanne and were unable to as well? There has to be more. If I went out for a bike ride, and I was home alone for the weekend, I might see a friend and stop by for a spell. Maybe even end up having dinner, with my friend saying they would drive me home later and drop off me and my bike. Have a couple of glasses of wine and kick back. Plenty of times I have come home to an empty house when someone should have been home. Haven’t called 911 yet.

It was Mother's Day, and that seems to be the reason that alerts went out faster. I understand that she was self-isolating, other than cycling. She would have been expecting calls from her husband and children. We've read that no one was in contact with her on May 10, so it is surprising that one of the children, rather than the husband, was first to become concerned.

I think that's interesting. If you've ever called 911 (999 here) you'll know it's a v nerve wracking thing to do. It is for me anyway. Heart in my month surreal feeling. The last time was when I saw a car come off the road in front of me, so easy decision.

Unless you're a fruit loop who does it for kicks, I think it takes a form of courage to cross that point and call the number.

Having said that, if there was a chance she could be injured and need help quickly, I think that would be an easy decision too. Point is, how would you be so sure she was nowhere else?

I think it really depends on the person. If you have a friend or relative who has never missed a scheduled call, you'd worry a lot more than if a flakey friend who routinely forgot things missed a call. Same if someone had serious medical issues or took regular medication. Twice we called the non-emergency LE number to do a welfare check on my FIL since he lives alone with medical issues 6 hours from us and wasn't responding to anyone for a full day. On the other hand, I don't hear from my brother for weeks except through his exciting 20-something instagram posts. I think it really depends on the personal situation where the line is.

bbm
Ita.
Your guess sounds spot on.
At this time only LE know the answer to that.
But we can speculate.

Not sure how strict people are in Salida with self isolation. I’ve seen some river rafting photos taken in the area during this month and while masks are worn by some folks, things are not as shut down as in my part of the country. If Suzanne truly was self isolating, could she also have been isolating from BM? If he was spending time out and about in Denver or other places, I would personally be concerned about him bringing Covid home.

Has it at least been released the time the 911 call was made?

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 11, 2020

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results.

The search resumed in the early morning hours of May 11 with Search and Rescue. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tac Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.

In all over 100 personnel were used during the search, however by late afternoon on May 11 Ms Morphew had not been found.

This will be an ongoing investigation into this matter and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office asks that any person or persons who may have information please call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze 719-207-3199*****

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

Last edited:
Hello. I no longer teach architecture, but I did do that for many years. I also taught engineering and graphic design. I'm verified in several areas after having provided proof of degrees to WS from an established Canadian University in Pure Mathematics (science bachelor), Environmental Design, Industrial Design (master), Teaching (master) and I'm currently completing a PhD in Smart Tech related to maternal care, particularly remote and rural clients. That's way too much information and definitely off topic, but it does answer a question that comes up often. Additionally, I was married to an Assistant Chief Crown prosecutor (criminal) and therefore have insight into criminal investigations and prosecutions.

Bottom line, I'm just like everyone else where we all bring some level of expertise and insight into the mix to try to understand what happened and why it happened.
AWESOME!!!!!

<modsnip: Quoted post removed>

Also, SB, is there any way the list of VEs you've put together can be pinned to the start of new threads so posters here can see which experts from their varying fields we have contributing to Suzanne's case?

Last edited:
I cant open this link and I'm intrigued - what time was it pls?

See here:
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 11, 2020

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results.

The search resumed in the early morning hours of May 11 with Search and Rescue. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tac Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.

In all over 100 personnel were used during the search, however by late afternoon on May 11 Ms Morphew had not been found.

This will be an ongoing investigation into this matter and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office asks that any person or persons who may have information please call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze 719-207-3199*****

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

Thank you!

At 5:46 pm the 911 call was made. Was the alarm pulled because she normally goes for a bike ride before church in the AM (regardless if the church was closed due to CoVid)? If so, that’s a considerable amount of time that passed. Again, this is going off the assumption loved ones thought she left in the AM.

What else does the time of this 911 call potentially tell us?

Indeed, it could go either way. This could be premeditated for sure, especially with certain circumstances working to the perps favor such as the daughters going camping, Suzanne being alone, etc.

It could also be a crime of passion as you said, too- heat of the moment.

I am leaning on premeditated myself. Sloppy job of a set up for sure, but when is any set up a clean one? I often wonder if these guys and gals took theater or something in high school and got a big resounding "F" in that class.

While keeping an open mind, I’m inclined to agree. The whole show reminds me of something that would be run by ACME Kidnappers.
  • Wheel out bike to a spot where it can’t be missed.
  • Jam on bike brakes (police will surely have seen the movies where kidnappers’ van swerves in front of victim).
  • Get dodgy contractor who owes a favour to spend weekend driving round town in a distinctive, kidnappery-looking van, being sure to be seen
  • Contrive situation where someone else makes 911 call.
  • Get stooge to set up Gimme fund (donations and inevitable gushing statements of support will demonstrate popularity)
  • Have picture of a helmet at the ready
  • Avoid press conference (haha, not gonna fall for that one).
  • Get irritated when police don’t publicise condition of bike. Manipulate someone to leak info about bike.
  • Drive up and down road looking ...pensive? distraught? Whatever. Handsome and brooding will do. Throw a few extra items out car window as LE don’t seem to be taking the bait yet.
Moo, of course. What have I missed.

eta fixed typo

EK on Twitter
There has been so much information spreading around on social media that appears to be coming from bad faith actors. I really hope none of these people are also giving police bad tips -- they have to follow up on everything. 400 so far. #suzannemorphew
6:13 PM - 26 May 2020

Lauren Scharf on Twitter
UPDATE: Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office have received more than 400 tips for #MissingPerson #suzannemorphew The Morphew home has been released back to the family. Investigators continue to search and follow up on tips. Tip Line: (719) 312-7530
EY-nZwDWoAABoIP.jpg

6:46 PM - 26 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members