Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for quoting myself. But I thought I should clarify: I think the two bridges closest to SM's house--the bridge where County Rd 225 crosses Fooses Creek and the bridge where County Rd 225 crosses the S Arkansas River--are the most likely bridges for anything of SM's to have been found.

I think all of that was staged, and so I believe the items needed to be found sooner rather than later.

IMO
The fire chief told reporters that the bike was found in a ravine, near a bridge. The road bridge over Fooses Creek is on flat ground. As you stated, the Colorado trail, which follows closer to the power line cut, winds upward from Fooses Lake, and many people use Fooses Lake for the trailhead. The mountain bike descent trail is Not the Colorado trail but is the only path that crosses what I am calling the Fooses Dam Bridge. It seems to me to be a very likely spot for an abductor to create a mishap in which the brakes would lock, but it would also be relatively easy to walk of ride her bicycle to that spot and stage a mishap, provided the brakes were locked after it got there. IMO

Dbm.
Please provide a link. I've seen no mention from LE that the home security cameras were out of commission.
Also, is it the father's fault her daughters were not with their mother on Mother's Day? From their photos, the young women appear old enough to make their own decisions.

JMO
I withdraw the comment about the cameras in the house being inoperational.
Although I read it in the first couple of days I can't find the info now.
As for whether MOO BM has or should have influence on daughters? The answer is, yes.
If they had a trip that's fine. If he left that's fine, but all together?

Last edited:
I don't believe there's been anything reported in the MSM about precisely when she left home for the purported bike ride, only that she went for the ride and never returned. I suspect that the 911 call was made because of 1) information that the daughters relayed to the neighbor about their mother's expected whereabouts and/or, 2) as someone mentioned in a previous post, the neighbor came across something that raised concern -- SM's abandoned bike, e.g. There are other alternatives that are of course possible. As for her pre-church bike ride, that was simply something that the fire chief mentioned in an interview was her habit. We don't know if this was so much a predictable part of her routine that it sounded the alarm on the 10th.

Agreed... in addition it was getting late. If the neighbor suspected SM was out there injured, she would want get help asap. Maybe she had a key to SM's home for emergencies and checked and saw SM was not home but her car was there and her bike was gone. LE first reported SM had not returned from a bike ride so it's logical to me that this was learned by LE from the neighbor or the daughters and initially LE repeated that information. I think most people would call 911 right away under those circumstances. Rescue only has a few hours to search the area before it's too dark to search at all. With a head injury or other serious injury it could be the difference between saving a person or having them die.

A power line follows North Fooses Creek up the mountain.

The Colorado Trail, which goes up to Monarch Pass Trailhead, follows South Fooses Creek, and crosses over North Fooses Creek again fairly close to the top, near the trailhead.

But I think anything found of SM's was at either the bridge over Fooses Creek or the one over the S Arkansas River.
When they brought in dogs to search, it was an area described by the Sheriff in the news release as "just west" of the junction of 225 and Highway 50. They even closed Highway 50 which suggests they were searching the highway shoulder

This really stuck out to me too. How many objectively bad husbands and fathers still pull it together one day of the year for a Mother's Day brunch or flowers or day together? After going through what Suzanne went through you'd think her family would have done SOMETHING even if they couldn't be together. But not a call til 5pm?
Cannot agree with this more - it is the one day that men ordinarily step up - even if they file for divorce the next day (yep- happened to a friend)
JMO

Possibly, if it wasn't turned off by anyone.
Maybe there isn't video which led LE to the construction site.
Maybe there is video but shows she rode bike in different direction than where the bike was found.
UGH-- I know LE has to stay quiet for a good reason, but I also get impatient with the waiting. :p

I've always thought that it was soon after SM was reported missing that there was evidence (such as dashcam or home surveillance by other) that bike was deposited where it was recovered, and not by SM. Maybe even as early as May 8. (Bike was recovered on Sunday, May 10 per nephew-- but not confirmed by LE).

The call-out for the community to preserve video evidence (but don't send it to us) rang to me as if LE saying "we already have it" but may want to add yours too, later. In my scenario, it made sense to me why there would be zero focus on the bicycle, trail, or alleged bike ride. The bicycle a red herring. MOO

(It's not me... my SO is a recently retired Supreme Court Justice ( Criminal) NY and I think he could add good info to the mix. He asked me if it would be kept private..working on him joining)

Cool!

I’m giggling because I told a friend who is in “the field” about this place, and he said, “Why would I want to do that? I do that all day” lol.

We are all speculating why BM or his daughters were not with SM on Mothers Day. What if daughters weren’t around That week because they were on the outs with their dad. And what if they did want to see their mom on Mother’s Day and she told them BM had planned a special weekend just for her? He could have had the weekend to make sure she disappeared. But by Sunday afternoon the girls were trying to reach her? It’s all just a theory. But
then, I’m still hoping he is innocent. :(

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the list of Verified Experts/Professionals who are posting in this thread.

I have edited my earlier post to include all the user IDs, and have added the list to the opening post of this thread.

giphy.gif

Bolding mine.

I just can’t get past that part. Your beloved wife, twice cancer survivor, high school sweetheart, mother of your two beautiful daughters—and he hasn’t checked in before 5 pm on Mother’s Day?

And no contact the day before???

This does not fit the narrative of the happy, loving relationship I’m reading about from family and friends.

Especially considering that the girls were away and he’d know she’s alone in the house, daily contact seems minimal expectation. A text, a phone call...

I wonder if they have a Life360 type app on their phones to keep tabs when apart.
BBM-- Do we know there was NO contact the day before which would have been May 9th ??
Do you have a LINK, Please ??
I have not seen that mentioned anywhere yet.
TIA

Please provide a link. I've seen no mention from LE that the home security cameras were out of commission.
Also, is it the father's fault her daughters were not with their mother on Mother's Day? From their photos, the young women appear old enough to make their own decisions.

JMO

Of course not. But I do believe it's on the media thread.

Do we know BM never tried to contact SM on MD? Do we know he had no phone contact or wasn't home the day before MD? There's so much contradictory information and information that's been changed over time that I could have easily missed that.

We know that the daughter called the neighbor. If he tried to contact her and couldn’t, knowing that she has these bike rides into the mountain with lions and bears, I just can’t imagine him not going into protective mode and action. He seems like a take charge, protective sort of guy.

A power line follows North Fooses Creek up the mountain.

The Colorado Trail, which goes up to Monarch Pass Trailhead, follows South Fooses Creek, and crosses over North Fooses Creek again fairly close to the top, near the trailhead.

But I think anything found of SM's was at either the bridge over Fooses Creek or the one over the S Arkansas River.

That is what I think. At one of the bridges over the creek and river on 225 as it approaches 50. 8 dogs were brought in.
MOO think she is gone from the area.

Last edited:
What else does the time of this 911 call potentially tell us?

Not being able to get a hold of your Mom all day on Mother's Day would cause them to worry, especially since she had cancer and she was alone. Also, she could have gotten injured and wasn't able to get to her phone- things that would go through most people's minds. So calling the neighbor makes sense for an instant answer as to whether or not she is ok but maybe forgot to charge her phone.

I believe that the neighbor found something concerning that made them call 911. Maybe a sign of a struggle at the house or in the yard somewhere- who knows, maybe her door was left unlocked and she didn't find Suzanne and something seemed out of place, or again, signs of a struggle.

I've always thought that it was soon after SM was reported missing that there was evidence (such as dashcam or home surveillance by other) that bike was deposited where it was recovered, and not by SM. Maybe even as early as May 8. (Bike was recovered on Sunday, May 10 per nephew-- but not confirmed by LE).

The call-out for the community to preserve video evidence (but don't send it to us) rang to me as if LE saying "we already have it" but may want to add yours too, later. In my scenario, it made sense to me why there would be zero focus on the bicycle, trail, or alleged bike ride. The bicycle a red herring. MOO
We really have so little to go on that’s confirmed by LE - no last date seen alive, no description of her , no confirmation of the bike being found (how does the chief know anyway?) it’s all just odd
JMO

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the list of Verified Experts/Professionals who are posting in this thread.

I have edited my earlier post to include all the user IDs, and have added the list to the opening post of this thread.

giphy.gif

Back atcha, sillybilly!

Thank you for taking the time to put that list of VEs together for the group.

It will definitely come in handy as a quick reference guide if/as posters want to tag VEs to get their professional insights vis-a-vis SM's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998