Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot agree with this more - it is the one day that men ordinarily step up - even if they file for divorce the next day (yep- happened to a friend)
JMO
Lots we don't know still. For instance, maybe the family had previously made plans to get together that evening after the daughters' returned from their camping trip and BM from Denver ... or wherever.

The fire chief told reporters that the bike was found in a ravine, near a bridge. The road bridge over Fooses Creek is on flat ground. As you stated, the Colorado trail, which follows closer to the power line cut, winds upward from Fooses Lake, and many people use Fooses Lake for the trailhead. The mountain bike descent trail is Not the Colorado trail but is the only path that crosses what I am calling the Fooses Dam Bridge. It seems to me to be a very likely spot for an abductor to create a mishap in which the brakes would lock, but it would also be relatively easy to walk of ride her bicycle to that spot and stage a mishap, provided the brakes were locked after it got there. IMO

Here's the trail map. I've pointed to the trail near the family home. Is this the trail that you're referring to, or is there a different trail that I can find on a different map?

upload_2020-5-26_18-12-47.png

Colorado Trail: Fooses Creek Mountain Bike Trail

My mistake, still figuring out the nuances of the site, my apologies!
Dbm.

I withdraw the comment about the cameras in the house being inoperattional.
Although I read it in the first couple of days I can't find the info now.

As for whether MOO BM has or should have influence on daughters? The answer is, yes.
If they had a trip that's fine. If he left that's fine, but all together?

I too read that in the first week of the investigation. I will try and find it. I believe it was around the time the helicopter footage of the home was released.

When they brought in dogs to search, it was an area described by the Sheriff in the news release as "just west" of the junction of 225 and Highway 50. They even closed Highway 50 which suggests they were searching the highway shoulder
The sheriff, as well as the bulletins, described a standard grid search covering all of the ground within a 2.5 miles radius of where she was last seen. A 2.5 mile radius creates a 5 miles circle. In this Google Earth Aerial view which I posted last week, there is a 2000 foot circle. As you can see, up the shoulder of the road, as well as literally every other reasonable location that I can imagine, was search intensely, following the grid pattern. Recently, when LE conducts a grid search, the searchers carry GPS transmitters and their path is logged on a topographic map. Every anomaly or random dog hit is marked, so that it can be investigated further if a need develops. IMO
Source of aerial view: Google Earth, generated entirely in GE

Attachments

• SM Locations - Monarch Pass.jpg
    SM Locations - Monarch Pass.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 55
Everyone he did landscaping for is probably calling in now. MOO

Yes, the tips have doubled. At the very least, the construction site search seems to have triggered recollections. IMO

Interesting. I hope they are useful tips and not, "I read on FB...", after all these rumors.

I've always thought that it was soon after SM was reported missing that there was evidence (such as dashcam or home surveillance by other) that bike was deposited where it was recovered, and not by SM. Maybe even as early as May 8. (Bike was recovered on Sunday, May 10 per nephew-- but not confirmed by LE).

The call-out for the community to preserve video evidence (but don't send it to us) rang to me as if LE saying "we already have it" but may want to add yours too, later. In my scenario, it made sense to me why there would be zero focus on the bicycle, trail, or alleged bike ride. The bicycle a red herring. MOO
Didn't they have over 100 SAR personel out searching bike routes on the Monday? That's a lot of people to call out. I think that's likely when someone found the bike. In the Tuesday they searched with a large number of tracker dogs, they wouldn't want people in the area because it would confuse the dogs trying to trace her route from the bike.

The sheriff, as well as the bulletins, described a standard grid search covering all of the ground within a 2.5 miles radius of where she was last seen. A 2.5 mile radius creates a 5 miles circle. In this Google Earth Aerial view which I posted last week, there is a 2000 foot circle. As you can see, up the shoulder of the road, as well as literally every other reasonable location that I can imagine, was search intensely, following the grid pattern. Recently, when LE conducts a grid search, the searchers carry GPS transmitters and their path is logged on a topographic map. Every anomaly or random dog hit is marked, so that it can be investigated further if a need develops. IMO
“Of where she was last seen”- does that 5 mile circle include the Morphew home? Because I’m not sure she was ever seen.

Thanks. Was that the initial search on the 11th, or the 'specific site search' the Sheriff referred to on the 13th?

Thanks. Was that the initial search on the 11th, or the 'specific site search' the Sheriff referred to on the 13th?

This is the May 13 update.

"On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations."​

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

LE have BM's phone, and I will assume they have at least SM's phone records, if not also her phone.
I suspect it's possible data from either her phone, or his, or both, is a big lead to what they're looking for, and where.
Maybe even how they know the last anyone "heard" from her was on May 9th, according to the DM article.
It's not really new anymore but I continue to be fascinated and impressed with the vast amount of evidence LE's experts can pull out of a cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie