Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they have over 100 SAR personel out searching bike routes on the Monday? That's a lot of people to call out. I think that's likely when someone found the bike. In the Tuesday they searched with a large number of tracker dogs, they wouldn't want people in the area because it would confuse the dogs trying to trace her route from the bike.
I'm not sure I follow you. I see planting the bike that was recovered on Sunday, and searching for SM's scent in hope to discover her body as independent acts.

Last edited:
I don’t understand this either. It has nothing to do with COVID19. We live 6-8 hours from my family and my MIL lives in Europe. We never see each other for smaller holidays. We send gifts that arrive around Mother’s Day and call Mother’s Day morning to say Happy Mother’s Day. My MIL in Europe will sometimes give us the time to call because she’s a busy bee. If we didn’t hear from either mom by the end of the day we’d be frantic. Just like SM’s daughters.

When was the last time someone SPOKE to SM? Where was BM all day? No morning call? Afternoon, evening? SM spent Mother’s Day without one person saying Happy Mother’s Day to her on the phone? I know different people have different ways of celebrating but a phone call doesn’t seem like an extreme celebration.
My wife has severely compromised immune system due to infusion drugs for MS. She will occasionally ride in the car with me to drug store to break up the stuck at home during COVID19 syndrome. She cannot go into stores or get out of vehicle.

I am trying to catch up today and not sure if this was discussed. Please see the attached RULE 41 of CO Rules of Criminal Procedure. Rule 41 Search, Seizure & Confession. So, with the house being released back to BM today, that would mean that the search warrant was executed on approximately May 13th. That is assuming counting 14 days back from today. The red flags went up on the evening of May 10th (Mother's Day). The first "business day" that courts would be open is Monday, May 11th. So, technically within 24-48 hours, LE had secured a search warrant to "hold" the house, car, phone, etc. This is all speculation on the dates but if my assumptions are correct, LE moved FAST! I thought the underlined portions were interesting. All JMO.

(VI) A search warrant shall be executed within 14 days after its date. The officer taking property under the warrant shall give to the person from whom or from whose premises the property was taken a copy of the warrant and a receipt for the property or shall leave the copy and receipt at the place from which the property was taken. The return shall be made promptly and shall be accompanied by a written inventory of any property taken. The inventory shall be made in the presence of the applicant for the warrant and the person from whose possession or premises the property was taken, if they are present, or in the presence of at least one credible person other than the applicant for the warrant or the person from whose possession or premises the property was taken, and shall be verified by the officer.

Attachments

• Rule 41 - Search, Seizure, and Confession.pdf
    277.4 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, except maybe a mountain lion.

From the pictures I've seen the whole area is so wild and isolated she could be anywhere. I'm afraid she will never be found. I hope investigators are making progress. Her story needs to be told and her family needs closure.
MOO it would be good in this case if mountain lions could talk. Maybe the area trail cams will have some evidence.

However, the neighbor calling 911 to report my mom missing (as understood by MSM reporting) would definitely be my last resort.

I could definitely see myself calling 911 in that situation. If the girls told me they were very concerned not being able to reach their mother for many hours and also unable to reach their father. If I went over the house (maybe the girls told me where there was an extra house key) and I saw the bike was missing. I would tell them "I think we should call the police". Better safe than sorry.

IMO You ride it there in the middle of the night and walk home. You throw it in the back of your truck and toss it on your way to Denver. You don't have to be that creative to think on how to stage it. IMO she was dead before the 10th and hidden before the 10th.
Ita.

Sometimes the simplest explanations are the best.

Someone(s) are energetically 'pushing' the (possible) bike ride and an animal attack.
Why ?

It's clear that LE discounted the animal attack early on in the investigation, and that it's questionable if there was ever a bike ride to begin with.
What is going on ?
MOO

I believe the neighbor is telling the truth about the bike ride.

A neighbor called 911 that same day to report that Morphew had gone for a bike ride and never returned. The CBI and Federal Bureau of Investigation have since joined search and investigation efforts.

On May 15, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said investigators had discovered an item on May 14 that could possibly belong to Suzanne while searching the area west of County Road 225 and U.S. Highway 50 outside of Maysville. Searches on May 14 and 15 yielded no other leads, Spezze said.

CBI says home of Suzanne Morphew released back to family

That's interesting!

"Parsons noted that Barry Morphew was not quite as friendly as Suzanne, describing him as sometimes “standoffish.” Still, Parsons said he never noticed any trouble between the husband and wife.

CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered.

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said during the first week of the search that investigators believed it was unlikely Morphew was the victim of an animal attack."
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

I somehow initially missed the link and origin for "bike crash" and "animal attack." I think it's unusual not only that it was immediately assumed that she vanished while cycling, but that it was assumed to be an animal attack.

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

I think it's important to note that this email message transmitted or circulated to several church members residing in Indiana occurred on Monday, May 11, 2020 -- one day after SM reported missing. The author of the email was withheld by the reporter.

“Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part.

More important to me is the incredible burden I saw placed on the neighbor. I can't even imagine that!

BBM this one sentence of your comment. I felt the same way and I thought DM was very irresponsible to print the neighbor's photograph in their news story. Members of the public now know there is an elderly woman perhaps living alone or with an elderly husband in an area where they are alone. That may not be so as someone else may live there with her, but some people might assume it's so.

I listened to it when it was on live.
The woman is not really a friend of SM or BM, she's more of an acquaintance. She went to school and was in the same grade as BM. Her level of friendship was saying "Hi" when she'd see them. She said she had a big crush on BM, as did many girls in school.
She was a FB friend of BM's but again, it was acquaintance level, not a close friend at all. She and SM were not connected on FB or any social media.

All the "info" she shared was 2nd to 4th hand and mostly speculation. Her info about a body was found, arrests made, was completely false. She doubled-down on it and insisted it was true because she trusted the people who told her (again 3rd hand).

I can't recommend this video.

This video is worthless, IM
I listened to it when it was on live.
The woman is not really a friend of SM or BM, she's more of an acquaintance. She went to school and was in the same grade as BM. Her level of friendship was saying "Hi" when she'd see them. She said she had a big crush on BM, as did many girls in school.
She was a FB friend of BM's but again, it was acquaintance level, not a close friend at all. She and SM were not connected on FB or any social media.

All the "info" she shared was 2nd to 4th hand and mostly speculation. Her info about a body was found, arrests made, was completely false. She doubled-down on it and insisted it was true because she trusted the people who told her (again 3rd hand).

I can't recommend this video.
DBM

Last edited:
However, the neighbor calling 911 to report my mom missing (as understood by MSM reporting) would definitely be my last resort.

I could definitely see myself calling 911 in that situation. If the girls told me they were very concerned not being able to reach their mother for many hours and also unable to reach their father. If I went over the house (maybe the girls told me where there was an extra house key) and I saw the bike was missing. I would tell them "I think we should call the police". Better safe than sorry.

Would the neighbor know that a bike was missing? The family had lived there for a couple of years, and there's a 20 year age difference between Suzanne and the neighbor. They may have exchanged numbers for emergency purposes and otherwise kept to themselves. There were probably more bikes at the house. I doubt that the neighbor was the one with the bright idea about a missing bike.

I believe the neighbor is telling the truth about the bike ride.

A neighbor called 911 that same day to report that Morphew had gone for a bike ride and never returned. The CBI and Federal Bureau of Investigation have since joined search and investigation efforts.

On May 15, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said investigators had discovered an item on May 14 that could possibly belong to Suzanne while searching the area west of County Road 225 and U.S. Highway 50 outside of Maysville. Searches on May 14 and 15 yielded no other leads, Spezze said.

CBI says home of Suzanne Morphew released back to family

It would make a big difference to know if the neighbor saw her leave for a bike ride, or if she got the bike ride information from the daughters.

I think it's important to note that this email message transmitted or circulated to several church members residing in Indiana occurred on Monday, May 11, 2020 -- one day after SM reported missing. The author of the email was withheld by the reporter.

“Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part.

It's almost as though her disappearance was neatly wrapped with a bow in a day with the idea that she was eaten by an animal while cycling before church on Sunday.

This reminds me. Since the FBI is involved, we can also assume they know to use Google analytics - which would track a fair number of cars as they traveled in the Monarch Pass area.

It would also reveal who, in the immediate vicinity, might be home with a wireless phone on, and whether the phone was stationary or being moved around. It would give a quick snapshot of the environment and of human activity over time (time of day when there are more cars on the road, etc).

The initial search warrant could have included getting such info from Google. And now that I think about it, I'm guessing that FBI has also traced, as far as possible, the positions of phones of people known to the Morphews, including any workers who may have been working alongside BLM.
You can add traffic cams to that list;. I believe there are two of them on the east slope of Monarch Pass. There is no wire or cable phone service, that I know of, and as I've posted twice now, only A,T&T and Verizon have cellular phone coverage on the east slope. A,T&T's is a cell that is mounted on a high mountain some distance away. Service is "spotty" due to obstruction of the other mountains. Verizon is reported by cell phone users to have good 4G coverage all the way up the east slope to the top, ON HIGHWAY 50. As I pointed out earlier, the Verizon cell is long and thin, aimed strictly to provide coverage on Highway 50. According the Verizon's own engineering drawings, coverage should be good at SM's house, but might be intermittent at her neighbor's.
Using cell phone coverage to locate people holding the phone gets dicey in the mountains. for example, let's guess that the neighbor's call to report SM missing went through the Verizon cell. Equipment would log the call, including the exact time, the duration of the call, and the line-of-sight distance from the tower. That can be plotted as an arc of a circle with the radius being the distance, and the arc being only as long as the width of the cell at that point. The actual cell is recorded, and LE can use the Verizon engineering. The accuracy is incredible, having a tolerance of plus or minus 15 ft (literally a 30 foot circle on the ground. Because the Monarch cell is pencil-thin, creating a very short arc, and the two houses are staggered distances away from the tower, LE could literally use cell data to verify whether the neighbor was at her house or SM's house when she called.
But let's imagine that the neighbor didn't know if the call was going to go through or not so she hopped in her car and started riding down the pass; looking for a cellular hot spot. If her phone "pinged" the A,T&T tower, she would have that hot spot, but due to the location of that tower, the tracking arc could be several miles long. They could say they heard car noise on her call, so she was on a road, and assume she was at the point where the arc crossed Highway 50.
What LE could not do, in this case, is plot where that neighbor was if she started hiking upward and connected with the A,T&T tower. Her phone may have pinged both A,T&T and Verizon during her walk, and they could plot her path looking for intersecting arcs. The one thing that LE can't do, in this situation, is triangulate exact positions..............simply because they only have two towers to work with.
All of this is totally my opinion. I welcome the posting of better explanations. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus