Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, the neighbor calling 911 to report my mom missing (as understood by MSM reporting) would definitely be my last resort.

I could definitely see myself calling 911 in that situation. If the girls told me they were very concerned not being able to reach their mother for many hours and also unable to reach their father. If I went over the house (maybe the girls told me where there was an extra house key) and I saw the bike was missing. I would tell them "I think we should call the police". Better safe than sorry.

I’ve been thinking about it and I would definitely call 911. I would worry about feeling responsible if something did happen and I could have helped by calling for help at the earliest point. I know that’s not how everyone feels but personally I’d rather the police tell me it’s nothing than having to live with the guilt if it was an emergency.

Gotcha. I would suggest using caution in making such an assumption. We've read that SM has recently gotten the "all clear" on a 2nd cancer diagnosis...forgive me moderators if this statement is not allowed here (I believe BM posted similar info on his FB account that others could read before he supposedly took it down recently). That means she's been cancer free for likely at least five years...and may not even be receiving any specific treatment at this point. We also don't know what type of cancer she had, which matters. Years back I had stage 1 papillary thyroid cancer, which has a high cure rate. I had a hard time even using the term "cancer" when discussing it with some people, because they hear that word and don't understand that there is such a wide range, with varying implications. In my situation, five years out, after getting the all-clear, I'd be no more/less cautious about Covid-19 than the next person who never got a cancer diagnosis.
I'm basing my assumption on my own life experience, thanks. I would hope SM would take take the advice of her own physician.

JMO

I believe the neighbor is telling the truth about the bike ride.

A neighbor called 911 that same day to report that Morphew had gone for a bike ride and never returned. The CBI and Federal Bureau of Investigation have since joined search and investigation efforts.

On May 15, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said investigators had discovered an item on May 14 that could possibly belong to Suzanne while searching the area west of County Road 225 and U.S. Highway 50 outside of Maysville. Searches on May 14 and 15 yielded no other leads, Spezze said.

CBI says home of Suzanne Morphew released back to family
The neighbor “telling the truth,” is a false premise. The question isn’t if she is being honest, it’s what the underlying facts are.

Did she see Suzanne go for a bike ride?”

Or is she merely relaying what she was told?”

If the former occurred, then I’ve never seen anything like it. No timeline, no clothing description, and law enforcement behavior that doesn’t fit with some sort of abduction

I think it's important to note that this email message transmitted or circulated to several church members residing in Indiana occurred on Monday, May 11, 2020 -- one day after SM reported missing. The author of the email was withheld by the reporter.

“Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part.

I admit I'm interested in the person who sent the email.
In a nosy way.
Might mean nothing.
Maybe LE asked the reporter to withhold the name ?

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT] – Crime Online

Sooo... "...just beside himself..."
Was he nervous ? Frantic ? Angry at the kidnapper ?
What ???
If he was beside himself, why did he tell the media it was "...too soon..." to make a public plea and why didn't he want to take questions ?

The time to help LE help you is immediately, at a public press conference.
Let reporters ask you questions and give a description of what she was wearing.
Etc.

What about a recent photo and not one from 2019 ?
What was she wearing ?
Why not a photo or description about the bike ?
And why is LE not releasing the description of the bike ?
Was it clean ?
Or was it dirty and dusty ?
Were Suzanne's prints on it or was it wiped down by someone (i.e., the mystery kidnapper) ?

Where is her bike helmet ? At the house ?
Left on the bike path ?

Who kidnaps a woman and takes time to undo and discard her helmet --or any other item, for that matter ?

So many unanswered questions.

Last edited:
The sheriff, as well as the bulletins, described a standard grid search covering all of the ground within a 2.5 miles radius of where she was last seen. A 2.5 mile radius creates a 5 miles circle. In this Google Earth Aerial view which I posted last week, there is a 2000 foot circle. As you can see, up the shoulder of the road, as well as literally every other reasonable location that I can imagine, was search intensely, following the grid pattern. Recently, when LE conducts a grid search, the searchers carry GPS transmitters and their path is logged on a topographic map. Every anomaly or random dog hit is marked, so that it can be investigated further if a need develops. IMO
Source of aerial view: Google Earth, generated entirely in GE
Do you know if this is state or federal land? Thanks.

The neighbor “telling the truth,” is a false premise. The question isn’t if she is being honest, it’s what the underlying facts are.

If the former occurred, then I’ve never seen anything like it. No timeline, no clothing description, and law enforcement behavior that doesn’t fit with some sort of abduction
I'm pretty confident LE knows the underlying facts. I believe the neighbor was told Suzanne planned a bike ride and the source of the information was either Suzanne told her directly or someone Suzanne spoke to prior to the bike ride told the neighbor and asked the neighbor to check the house because Suzanne wasn't answering her phone.

JMO

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT] – Crime Online

Sooo... "...just beside himself..."
Was he nervous ? Frantic ? Angry at the kidnapper ?
What ???
If he was beside himself, why did he tell the media it was "...to soon..." to make a public plea and why didn't he want to take questions ?

The time to help LE help you is immediately, at a public press conference.
Let reporters ask you questions and give a description of what she was wearing.
Etc.

What about a recent photo and not one from 2019 ?
What was she wearing ?
Why not a photo or description about the bike ?
And why is LE not releasing the description of the bike ?
Was it clean ?
Or was it dirty and dusty ?
Were Suzanne's prints on it or was it wiped down by someone (i.e., the mystery kidnapper) ?

Where is her bike helmet ? At the house ?
Left on the bike path ?

Who kidnaps a woman and takes time to undo and discard her helmet --or any other item, for that matter ?

So many unanswered questions.

Conflicting stories indeed! She crashed and was eaten by a wild animal before church, but, if that didn't happen she was kidnapped. Here's $200,000 for the kidnapper, no questions asked.
I can't wait to hear story #3.

I'm basing my assumption on my own life experience, thanks. I would hope SM would take take the advice of her own physician.

JMO
Yes, I would hope the same, too. The point I was attempting to make is that we just don't know the specifics of her health situation, so without those facts, making assumptions about it could be problematic.

It would make a big difference to know if the neighbor saw her leave for a bike ride, or if she got the bike ride information from the daughters.
I originally thought it was very suspicious that the neighbour called in this missing person: why would a neighbour be spying on her, to supposedly know that she left on her bike but hadn't come back. I thought possibly the neighbour had offed her.

I'm pretty confident LE knows the underlying facts. I believe the neighbor was told Suzanne planned a bike ride and the source of the information was either Suzanne told her directly or someone Suzanne spoke to prior to the bike ride told the neighbor and asked the neighbor to check the house because Suzanne wasn't answering her phone.

JMO
I’m positive they know the underlying facts, which is why they never handled this as an abduction.

No abduction=No bike ride.

I don’t think Suzanne told her she was going on a bike ride, because I believe she was dead long before that 911 call.

Would the neighbor know that a bike was missing? The family had lived there for a couple of years, and there's a 20 year age difference between Suzanne and the neighbor. They may have exchanged numbers for emergency purposes and otherwise kept to themselves. There were probably more bikes at the house. I doubt that the neighbor was the one with the bright idea about a missing bike.

Maybe she did by default if she told LE that SM left for a bike ride and didn't return. Honestly, I no longer know if the neighbor said that or not. I think others have seen it in MSM though.

Last edited:

BBM:

According to CrimeOnline, the answer to that question is a resounding, "NO."

The neighbor did NOT see Suzanne go for a bike ride.

In fact, nobody did:

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

According to sources who spoke to the Daily Mail, Morphew’s daughters contacted a neighbor when they were unable to reach her. <snip>

A woman identified as the stepmother of Morphew’s daughter’s best friend said that the homes in the remote central Colorado town are far apart. It remains unclear how long Morphew had been out of contact before the neighbor alerted Chaffee County authorities on May 10. The sheriff’s department launched an immediate search for Morphew on that day.

“The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ‘we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?'” the friend’s stepmother said.

“Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly.”

MSM needs to stop reporting it as if SM disappearing during a bike ride is an established fact.

That bike ride story is a total bunch of hooey.

JMO.

Last edited:
I originally thought it was very suspicious that the neighbour called in this missing person: why would a neighbour be spying on her, to supposedly know that she left on her bike but hadn't come back. I thought possibly the neighbour had offed her.

The answer is here:

"Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home."​

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

Edited to eliminate my typo.

I too read that in the first week of the investigation. I will try and find it. I believe it was around the time the helicopter footage of the home was released.

I did read this, it stated the cameras had been malfunctioning and inop for 4-5 days prior to her disappearance. Sadly, searching for it seems to be like getting info on the bike or SM herself! I must withdraw my comment after an unsuccessful search for the MSM article. Anyone?

I was wondering if driving was possible. Walking or riding seems really risky from a standpoint of being seen, and possibly leaving a lot if evidence.

But it also seems like all the more reason to call or text regularly to me. If the girls were camping, I’d think her husband would be even more conscientious about checking in and making sure she got back safely from the bike ride, and a nice Mother’s Day greeting.
Do we know that the husband didn't check on her? No, we don't know.

JMO

Maybe she did by default if she told LE that SM left for a bike ride and didn't return. Honestly, I no longer know if the neighbor said that or not. I think others have seen it in MSM though.

The neighbor told the Sheriff's office that their neighbor had "reportedly" gone cycling and failed to return home. That means she is passing along information.

May 11
Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

Do you know if this is state or federal land? Thanks.
The map is a screenshot from the mapping extension of the Chaffee County Property Search site. SM's house is on Puma Path, which is labeled in the lower center because that is what I searched for. As you can see, only the handful of properties in their small subdivision are private property. All of the surrounding area, including most of the searched area, is most likely federal lands. IMO

The link is provided for verification of the source, but because there are two disclaimer / waivers acting as gateways to the specific map I have posted, it may not work. Go to the Chaffee County Assessor Property Search results page for the surname, and click on the "MAP" button in the header toolbar. The rest of the pathway is self-instructive.
qPublic.net - Chaffee County, CO - Map

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-26 qPublic net - Chaffee County, CO - Map.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-26 qPublic net - Chaffee County, CO - Map.png
    760.5 KB · Views: 36
ETA: and now I've read MG's comment and yes... did she simply pass along the bike story from hearing it from someone else? If she did... she still may have passed it on to LE by default. Sounds like a game of "The Wonder Ball" or "Telephone" at this point with all the possible and maybe's and "possible passing it on's."

May be me...but I have no, zero, nada, not a drop of confidence in MSM on this. There hasn't been (I don't feel) any "investigative reporting" to my knowledge. Heck LE is so tight lipped in this case, who has anything?

Last edited:
Edited to eliminate my typo.

I too read that in the first week of the investigation. I will try and find it. I believe it was around the time the helicopter footage of the home was released.

I did read this, it stated the cameras had been malfunctioning and inop for 4-5 days prior to her disappearance. Sadly, searching for it seems to be like getting info on the bike or SM herself! I must withdraw my comment after an unsuccessful search for the MSM article. Anyone?

Sadly, no. I saw some posts both here and in SM saying something like “I wonder if they had cameras. If they did, were they operational? It would be suspect if they stopped working shortly before she went missing.” Next, comments started popping up stating it as fact that they had cameras, and they stopped working shortly before SM went missing.

I haven’t been able to locate any MSM confirming that they even have cameras, let alone something stating whether or not they were operational. I have looked long and hard through the media thread, as I would liked to know myself. Unfortunately, I think it came about from rumors or statements on social media, and grew legs. I would love to be proven wrong, though!

IMO MOO JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members