Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a suspicion since I first heard of the case. After a few (there were not many) MSM articles and seeing the neighbor JR I thought the following:

MOO, nothing to back it up my theory, it just seemed to work with the pieces we had been given. All facts have been published in MSM, how they are put together is IMO.

Daughters could not reach SM on Mother’s Day as they made their way back from a camping trip (duration unknown). For whatever reason BM is not involved in this conversation and so they call the neighbor. JR lives across a creek and is 70, likely she called and then drove over. When she arrived at the base of their long driveway she found the bicycle. Or when she crossed the creek to check the M household, she saw the bike. It doesn’t have to be a huge bridge, they’re even have a footbridge on the property. It’s has only read “a bridge”, no other details! After not seeing SM anywhere (wouldn’t she call the daughters back or BM?) she dialed 911 at 5:46 p.m..

MOO of the bicycle mystery. It covers why a 911 call would be warranted, how such grave concern would befall a neighbor, explains the lack of any prints on the bike including SM and, as reported early on, the brakes were “jammed”. I will later find sources to each of these if we haven’t already posted them a million times. That darn bicycle is either a really great distraction or a really big clue.

Does anyone know if SM’s car was in the garage or driveway?
Did she dial 911 because she SAW the bike in ravine or under bridge? I’ve seen and read so much since then ... but IIRC she saw or found bike??? Which is what made her call 911 almost immediately, right?
Also probably the reason why everyone assumes she went on a bike ride. What if girls called and just asked her to go check on Mom because she wasn’t answering ... and on the way she found the bike. If it’s true bike riders normally have several bikes ... would she even know IF SM bike was missing? Lord I wouldn’t.
Did she drive around looking for her when she didn’t answer the door? Did she have a key to their house? Did she go inside?
I’d love to talk that woman! Nothing against current reporters but I miss Sam K!

Yes, I would hope the same, too. The point I was attempting to make is that we just don't know the specifics of her health situation, so without those facts, making assumptions about it could be problematic.
Good point. We really don't know the specifics at all. I thought I read that she had finished treatments while they were still living in Indiana, around 2018, but I could be wrong.

Friends in Colorado who have made comments about how friendly and kind she is have not mentioned anything about Suzanne not doing well. (healthwise)

Wondering if LE requested to review the Morphew daughters cell phones... if only to complete a record of timeline communications between daughters and parents.

Morphew house:
Desktop, laptop computers, tablets? → Internet searches?
Security system records? → House occupied on MD? → For how long?

How did daughters expect neighbor to check on their mother?
A simple knock on the door?
Does any neighbor have a key to the Morphew house?
Does any neighbor know any Morphew phone numbers?
Did the neighbor see something inside/outside house?
Did neighbor see SM bike at house and no answer at door make her call 911?

Just a thought...
Only 28 seconds of video for a virtual lifetime?

I learned it only takes one person to infect one person. DH contracted the virus from one client, while he was in the process of learning and setting up telecounseling. And getting approved for telephone counseling by insurance companies. So he brought it home even though we didn’t think he could catch it.

We were socially distancing somewhat before he became sick because he was out and I wasn’t, and big time after. Except I had to take care of him. I never got it that I know of.

Suzanne had good reason to stay apart from Barry, in the house at least, if he was coming and going and working with and for others.

Something else we have no knowledge of about this case. JMO

One of our friends has liver cancer, she had her pet scan two weeks ago. Previous treatment seemed to work, but scan revealed the existing spot grew and now there's another. She works from home doing the books for her husband's auto supply store. He interacts with customers all day long and continued to do so throughout the pandemic. With all the medical and basic bills there was no way he could not work. Of course he took precautions at work and when he came home, but they did not social distance from each other in their home. Neither has contracted CV-19 (blessed).

Simply pointing out there are people that had no choice due to financial demands, and if you were lucky enough to be an essential business ...

I'm hope your husband is better and glad you avoided it.

The answer is here:

"Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home."​

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff
Sounds like someone mentioned bike ride to the neighbor before the neighbor called LE. She had that story ready for them. IMO

The neighbor “telling the truth,” is a false premise. The question isn’t if she is being honest, it’s what the underlying facts are.

Did she see Suzanne go for a bike ride?”

Or is she merely relaying what she was told?”

If the former occurred, then I’ve never seen anything like it. No timeline, no clothing description, and law enforcement behavior that doesn’t fit with some sort of abduction
I think the initial concern was that she'd had a mountain biking accident.

This is borderline wilderness, not urban. IMO a sheriff in rural Colorado who promoted a stranger abduction theory to the public, without any evidence to back it up like an eye witness, would be seen as an idiot by everyone.

Because of course, everyone's thinking, did the husband do it? That's not like some secret, far out theory that's only occurred to a rare few. Everyone knows all the previous cases, all the previous headlines.

Of course police are suspicious of the husband, that's law enforcement rule #1 for any unexplained disappearance of any woman anywhere in the world: Look at the partner. Again, the Sheriff would be an absolute idiot if he didn't..."Gee, the husband, I never thought of that!"

But that doesn't mean they have any evidence at all to bolster that possibility in this particular case.

My first post. Following this one as I now live in Colorado and an avid cyclist. These crimes were first reported by the newspaper on 5/11 of vandalism to mountain trails.
Trails vandalized with nails, saws
Thanks. That shows someone has an agenda of causing serious harm. How busy have those mountain trails been during Covid-19? I think it very possible this was a crime of opportunity.

JMO

Last edited:
I have had a suspicion since I first heard of the case. After a few (there were not many) MSM articles and seeing the neighbor JR I thought the following:

MOO, nothing to back it up my theory, it just seemed to work with the pieces we had been given. All facts have been published in MSM, how they are put together is IMO.

Daughters could not reach SM on Mother’s Day as they made their way back from a camping trip (duration unknown). For whatever reason BM is not involved in this conversation and so they call the neighbor. JR lives across a creek and is 70, likely she called and then drove over. When she arrived at the base of their long driveway she found the bicycle. Or when she crossed the creek to check the M household, she saw the bike. It doesn’t have to be a huge bridge, they’re even have a footbridge on the property. It’s has only read “a bridge”, no other details! After not seeing SM anywhere (wouldn’t she call the daughters back or BM?) she dialed 911 at 5:46 p.m..

MOO of the bicycle mystery. It covers why a 911 call would be warranted, how such grave concern would befall a neighbor, explains the lack of any prints on the bike including SM and, as reported early on, the brakes were “jammed”. I will later find sources to each of these if we haven’t already posted them a million times. That darn bicycle is either a really great distraction or a really big clue.

Does anyone know if SM’s car was in the garage or driveway?
Did she dial 911 because she SAW the bike in ravine or under bridge? I’ve seen and read so much since then ... but IIRC she saw or found bike??? Which is what made her call 911 almost immediately, right?
Also might be why everyone assumes she went on a bike ride. What if girls called and just asked her to go check on Mom because she wasn’t answering ... and on the way she found the bike. If it’s true bike riders normally have several bikes ... would she even know IF SM bike was missing? Lord I wouldn’t.
Did she drive around looking for her when she didn’t answer the door? Did she have a key to their house? Did she go inside?
I’d love to talk that woman! Nothing against current reporters but I miss Sam K!

One of our friends has liver cancer, she had her pet scan two weeks ago. Previous treatment seemed to work, but scan revealed the existing spot grew and now there's another. She works from home doing the books for her husband's auto supply store. He interacts with customers all day long and continued to do so throughout the pandemic. With all the medical and basic bills there was no way he could not work. Of course he took precautions at work and when he came home, but they did not social distance from each other in their home. Neither has contracted CV-19 (blessed).

Simply pointing out there are people that had no choice due to financial demands, and if you were lucky enough to be an essential business ...

I'm hope your husband is better and glad you avoided it.
Yes I agree with you. And thanks. I was speaking from POV that worked for me. I’m healthy otherwise, but still wished to avoid DH since he was seeing clients in his office at first start of all this.

Perhaps that did help since I was not infected. Or perhaps I was infected and had no or only mild symptoms.

Also happy your friends are ok.

Last edited:
I’m positive they know the underlying facts, which is why they never handled this as an abduction.

No abduction=No bike ride.

I don’t think Suzanne told her she was going on a bike ride, because I believe she was dead long before that 911 call.
Yes, if the neighbor actually saw her riding her bike I can't think of any reason why LE wouldn't include something like, "last seen around 10:00 am wearing a blue windbreaker and a green helmet", on the missing persons page if they believed she went missing during or after a bike ride. Even if the neighbor couldn't remember what she was wearing they would at least state the time. Jmo

Would the neighbor know that a bike was missing? The family had lived there for a couple of years, and there's a 20 year age difference between Suzanne and the neighbor. They may have exchanged numbers for emergency purposes and otherwise kept to themselves. There were probably more bikes at the house. I doubt that the neighbor was the one with the bright idea about a missing bike.
I think it more likely they contacted the neighbor and asked her to check their home. And yes, she may also have a key. Our neighbors have our access code. If the daughters and husband weren't in the County, they would ask the neighbor to call 911 because her call would route directly to her local LE with jurisdiction. That would be the fastest way to reach LE and it sounds like 911 immediately dispatched LE.

JMO

Also might be why everyone assumes she went on a bike ride. What if girls called and just asked her to go check on Mom because she wasn’t answering ... and on the way she found the bike. If it’s true bike riders normally have several bikes ... would she even know IF SM bike was missing? Lord I wouldn’t.
Exactly!

so what is this???
DBM

I posted a really poorly written article, it threw me for a minute...

You can see by the following comments/ corrections posted by sharper and more experienced people on this site. Thanks to all. !

Last edited:
so what is this???

The property owner is fully cooperative with law enforcement and is not connected with the
As of Tuesday, authorities said their tip line had received more than 400 calls about Morphew’s disappearance.

Investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) conducted a search in for Morphew in the Salida area on Friday.

The property owner is fully cooperative with law enforcement and is not connected with the disappearance of Morphew.

Authorities release home of missing Chaffee County woman back to family

What is this? Very poorly written, that’s what. The link is to the dig site and this line

The property owner is fully cooperative with law enforcement and is not connected with the disappearance of Morphew.

Refers to the Salida area, BM’s job site.

Very misleading.

I think the initial concern was that she'd had a mountain biking accident.

This is borderline wilderness, not urban. IMO a sheriff in rural Colorado who promoted a stranger abduction theory to the public, without any evidence to back it up like an eye witness, would be seen as an idiot by everyone.

Because of course, everyone's thinking, did the husband do it? That's not like some secret, far out theory that's only occurred to a rare few. Everyone knows all the previous cases, all the previous headlines.

Of course police are suspicious of the husband, that's law enforcement rule #1 for any unexplained disappearance of any woman anywhere in the world: Look at the partner. Again, the Sheriff would be an absolute idiot if he didn't..."Gee, the husband, I never thought of that!"

But that doesn't mean they have any evidence at all to bolster that possibility in this particular case.

Well though... I think we all know the sheriff never entertained the thought for one moment that this was an abduction case even though abductions obviously do occur. He would have naturally, imo, have assumed accident at first before abduction imo. But, I agree with those who say something was found very early on that pointed the investigation in an entirely different direction when the sheriff felt it was not an accident at all and so, he never even had the chance to consider abduction. He skipped that and went straight to foul play.

ETA: I'd like to say it was when the bike was discovered and something about it was "wrong" for an accident as the cause... but I don't know if the bike was discovered so, that's where the frustration comes in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member