Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that is odd about the message sent to the former church. I mean, I don't really find it odd to send a prayer request or something to the former church since they were members as of just two years ago and sounds like they were very active. But I guess I assume it would come from their family (maybe it did?) but the details about a crashed bike and mountain lion are odd. Perhaps the bike WAS crashed - details haven't been released by LE officially about the bike - but they have been pretty adamant it's not an animal attack from the start. It's almost like someone wants to get a certain narrative out there MOO.
Agreed, especially when you couple this with TNs pleading early on for the public to ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike. I've always wondered why that was so important to TN early on, and if this was the same narrative TN was hearing (bike crashed, potential animal attack) it would make sense. Also, our tight-lipped CCSO made a point to publicly say an animal attack was "very unlikely" - which could have been a way to address this narrative without tipping his hand re: evidence. Within a couple of days, the narrative emerged of a possible kidnapping for ransom (per the reward and video plea from BM).

JMO, I think it's a reason why the details about the bike ride, condition of the bike, timeline, etc. haven't been shared even though this is still a missing person case. If we assume the animal attack narrative came, directly or indirectly, from BM (which, I think is a reasonable assumption, albeit one that we can't know for sure) and the changing narrative is due to changing assumptions that were made in good faith, that's one thing. But if the changing narrative is due to lies that were being told early on (that were quickly refuted), I think this becomes a big problem for the person who was driving the narrative. MOO.

Respectfully,
What evidence is there to rule out the top three options? What evidence is there to suggest that murder is the case?
I agree that the focus of (an apparently capable) LE leads us in one “laser focused” direction; a direction that most of the commenters on this thread already put BM in prison for life.
But we know nothing, because no evidence has been released to the public.
I don’t know why, but I think there is more to this case than a “controlling” husband killing his wife of 30 years over a suggested divorce.
I also don’t put any merit in anyone’s analyzation of his 27sec video. Maybe that’s a result of the Shane Carey social media criticism.
Anyway, I don’t speak up often but I’m surprised on the lack of differing opinions on this thread. Until we get any real evidence, it might be worth exploring.
Voluntarily Missing: unless cancer treatment caused a severe personality change, I don’t see this as an option. I don’t think LE does either.
Accident: if this was true, wouldn’t she be found by now? I saw a video of women driving through that area and by the house, it doesn’t look dangerous. With all those searchers - no sign of her? No blood, and LE doesn’t seem to be inclined to believe it was an accident by their actions.
Kidnapping: Kidnappers would have surely contacted someone by now. LE not following that possibility, but Abduction does seem possible, with Murder following since no contact for ransom. After watching video by women driving in the area and by the house, it doesn’t seem plausible, but it is possible of course IF she was spotted by someone and she had a stalker and IF she followed the same routine and bike route every day. TBH I think I just hate to think of a stranger abducting her and doing God knows what to her ... which is why I am personally focused on someone who knew her. My mind prefers that explanation, as horrific as that sounds, it’s preferable to my psyche. JMO.

Respectfully,
What evidence is there to rule out the top three options? What evidence is there to suggest that murder is the case?
I agree that the focus of (an apparently capable) LE leads us in one “laser focused” direction; a direction that most of the commenters on this thread already put BM in prison for life.
But we know nothing, because no evidence has been released to the public.
I don’t know why, but I think there is more to this case than a “controlling” husband killing his wife of 30 years over a suggested divorce.
I also don’t put any merit in anyone’s analyzation of his 27sec video. Maybe that’s a result of the Shane Carey social media criticism.
Anyway, I don’t speak up often but I’m surprised on the lack of differing opinions on this thread. Until we get any real evidence, it might be worth exploring.
Voluntarily Missing: unless cancer treatment caused a severe personality change, I don’t see this as an option. I don’t think LE does either.
Accident: if this was true, wouldn’t she be found by now? I saw a video of women driving through that area and by the house, it doesn’t look dangerous. With all those searchers - no sign of her? No blood, and LE doesn’t seem to be inclined to believe it was an accident by their actions.
Kidnapping: Kidnappers would have surely contacted someone by now. LE not following that possibility, but Abduction does seem possible, with Murder following since no contact for ransom. After watching video by women driving in the area and by the house, it doesn’t seem plausible, but it is possible of course IF she was spotted by someone and she had a stalker and IF she followed the same routine and bike route every day. TBH I think I just hate to think of a stranger abducting her and doing God knows what to her ... which is why I am personally focused on someone who knew her. My mind prefers that explanation, as horrific as that sounds, it’s preferable to my psyche. JMO.

she was awfully late for her routine 11:00 am church service attendance.”
But Dave would a woman who had recently had cancer treatments be attending church with a weakened immune system even IF there was no additional fear of Covid19? I just don’t see that as her “routine” because of treatments and the Covid19 fears. Plus no one has mentioned that she “missed” church that morning. The person(s) who may be feeding the “abduction” theme hasn’t even mentioned a missed church service.
I thought someone said that her church services were still online on Mothers Day and not open to public?

Agree. My opinion only, but by looking at local churches Facebook pages in the Salida area, there is one in particular that has been posting and praying for SM since she went missing. That church has been having online church services due to Covid19 since March 15th and continues to do so.

I don’t know for a fact that this church is the families church and not sure if it’s permitted to link it here, but this church was also being ‘followed’ by the husband on his FB page which BTW was taken down yesterday.

JMHO

Last edited:
I personally doubt she went out for a bike ride though she may well have been strong enough to do so. Without knowing the nature of her treatments Or when they ended, we really can’t say. I have received chemo and, partly due to dosage and partly due to the actual med, I was never sick and I did not even lose my appetite (though I did lose my hair ).

If she did feel too ill to perform her usual activities, I hate to think she had been left home alone. That seems too sad.

We have information that she recently got the "all clear" as has been acknowledged in earlier posts, but is it a fact that she recently had cancer treatments? If so, can you please share the source?
“A February post from a social media account believed to belong to Barry Morphew said that his wife had “beat cancer twice.” The Indiana-based source said that Suzanne’s cancer had returned around the time the family was preparing to move to Colorado in 2018, and that she “was not doing well” at that time.”
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

I think it's important to note that this email message transmitted or circulated to several church members residing in Indiana occurred on Monday, May 11, 2020 -- one day after SM reported missing. The author of the email was withheld by the reporter.

“Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part.

Yeah, that whole letter to the church thing is just so weird to me.
Something is off and someone is trying to set the scenario/stage

Unless she wasn’t feeling well, which seems unlikely IF you’re going on a bike ride in the first place, why Freak Out when you don’t get a response? This part makes no sense to me... I live in deep woods on 23 acres, I spend a lot of time alone, and my kids would never freak out IF I didn’t answer the phone for a day ... we have spotty reception, sometimes we have to go outside for calls or to get internet.
What made them SO worried SO quickly? That in itself makes me suspicious that something else might be going on at home. I just don’t see kids who aren’t even living at home freaking out when someone doesn’t respond and I don’t see any person going mountain bikes riding if they are Sick and Frail from cancer treatments. JMO.
Maybe they had a regular time they checked in with each day with her, and she missed that so by the evening they were worried.
Or maybe they couldn't reach her on the 9th and so were really worried by the evening of the 10th.

“A February post from a social media account believed to belong to Barry Morphew said that his wife had “beat cancer twice.” The Indiana-based source said that Suzanne’s cancer had returned around the time the family was preparing to move to Colorado in 2018, and that she “was not doing well” at that time.”
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]
Can her cancer and treatment be discussed now?

That is the same neighbor who phoned 911?
No, I meant to type it was the "owner" who said they had hired him to move dirt on the property, not the neighbor. I clarified this last night but now I can't find the post.

That's what I meant when I said they may have called in a tip. But I do think there is a neighbor near that house as well, so it's possible that they saw something suspicious and told investigators.

They were not included in the list of agencies that joined in the search. Do you know that they were specifically ordered NOT to search?
Morphew’s colleagues from the Maysville Fire Station have also been attempting to help with the search, although one told DailyMail.com they have been warned off by police.

Tim Nelson, 33, said: ‘The Sheriff’s office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there.

‘They can’t keep us out of the forest so that’s what some of the others have done – they set up their own little search party.’

Nelson added: ‘It’s a bad deal you know. They aren’t telling us anything. We got excluded from everything.

‘George [Davis] put together a search team of friends – I was going to go but pretty much all our fire guys are on it so I decided to step away just in case we get something [a fire].

‘Barry was very understanding from what I got from George. I know he’s not allowed to go home. He’s at a neighbor’s. I guess they got him there until he’s cleared or…’

Other friends spoke of the family in glowing terms, noting that Suzanne had been happy living in Colorado since moving to the state from Alexandria, Indiana, in July 2018.

Fire Chief Robert Bertram, 40, said he and his colleagues are still hoping she will be found alive and added that he doesn’t believe she would have left by herself.
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

Personal items were found 2,000 feet from her own house. If I park in in about the center of the parking lot of my Costco store, select some cookies from the bakery, swing back to see if they have Charmin T/P in stock, veer into the fresh veggies to check the asparagus and possible artichokes, go through the checkstand and back to the car, I've walked 2000 feet.
The scariest part of this case is that whatever happened to her was no more distance from her house than a short shopping experience in Costco. IMO

A personal object 2000 ft from the home and a bicycle further out on a trail....

So if she were intercepted and grabbed on the trail, that would suggest the perp brought her back toward her home for her to drop a personal item. Or the perp moved back toward her home. That would seem unlikely for a stranger abduction.

This seems to be what he wants people to think.

He might replace ‘socially confrontational’ with ‘successful’ and ‘aggressive’ with ‘direct’, but imo he would be pleased if this was the public/LE perception.

Confrontational, direct, protective...all possible ways to describe his image before his wife disappeared. None of that seems to be evident in his behavior since she’s disappeared, including Mother’s Day itself, with their daughter calling the neighbor for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaarqueiro