Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be a long time imo. I have a long forensic files example but dozing off for nap with doggie, (see my new signature). Making note to pick up here with the “skull found in the lake with every tooth pulled out with pliers” example.

Enjoy your nap with the dogs, thanks for your help Margarita!

If the home had properly working surveillance cameras/security system, I assume LE would be able to say for sure whether or not SM did go for a bike ride that Sunday. Definitely if there was a working camera that looked over their driveway, I would assume they could see her biking away, right? Maybe they wouldn't know exactly what happened to her, but they would be able to see if anyone else approached the house or came into the house and see the last time they were able to view SM. Just MOO

From what I understand, the SM photos that belong to the "missing" announcements are not current. They're from last year IIRC.

I find that striking! There's no doubt that there would be many contemporaneous photos out there, now that smart phones are a thing. And no one had a current photo to give to LE? Her daughters, her church, the security cam at the local grocery store, SM's own camera? No current photos?

LE can't be looking for SM, in that case. They don't even show the public what she looks like.

Probably. When I sign up for a live (zoomed) Yoga class, I am greeted by the instructor. She knows who is there.

The Grace Church in Salida isn't using zoom and I understand why. A lot of older people have a very difficult time with Zoom. Others have bought into the Zoom-scare mentality. You have to have an account and use a code sent by the host. It is absolutely not a good idea to post the code publicly on a website. The church in question seems to know this and gives newcomers a way of contacting staff in addition to viewing the livestream on youtube.

Would you answer these please?

1) What does BBM stand for?

2) Why do members post a >>> * <<<< and nothing else?
Is the * to mark a place in the thread?
bbm :)

BBM = Bolded By Me
It means you've added emphasis to someone's post.

The >>> * <<< is sometimes left to mark a post that the owner deleted, since we can't fully erase a post.
Also, Deleted By Me (DBM) can be used.

And yes it can be used to mark one's place in the thread.

Hope that helped.

Last edited:
There is research in the psychiatric (and sociological) literature about anniversary/holiday reactions. This is not just about murder, but about how some people with psychiatric or psychological symptoms experience a worsening near certain holidays. Depression near the anniversary of a loved one's death. Depression at Christmas if no longer around family, etc. Anxiety near the anniversary of a bad event (even though no conscious thoughts about the event in some cases).

It's strange to think about women disappearing on Thanksgiving or Christmas or Mother's Day (the three most mom/family-oriented holidays). If this is a crime committed by a stranger or casual acquaintance of the Morphew's, one has to wonder why they were out and about seeking opportunistic victims (or revenge) on or about Mother's Day.

If it's someone more closely associated or inside the family, then it's a vicious attack both on a mother and on her children, ruining forever this holiday. On Mother's Day, I often post pictures of my late mother on FB, my daughters post about their grandmother, most of my friends do the same. One friend does not do this, posts beautiful pictures of her flower garden - and I know why she doesn't post pictures of her mom and I know how terribly sad she still is about her mother's passing (of old age), while she was far far away.

So. Regardless of how this happened, my heart goes out to those two happy, adorable young women who forever have to live with awful memories of Mother's Day, may feel cynical and jaded, may forever have relationship issues because of this. I hope they get all the support and help that they need, but as far as we know, their father is living apart from them in a friend's house and, last we heard in MSM, was inviting contact only via a friend's phone. Hopefully that has changed.

One other strange thing: LE has apparently told the family not to make public statements (see the CrimeOnline articles) although one unnamed relative still made a few helpful but vague comments. Presumably, the daughters have also been told not to speak to media? Because if my mom were missing and I did not suspect my dad one little bit, I would be out in public saying exactly that. I also would do this regardless of what LE told me to do, but that's just my personality. Also, I'm not 20 or 17. At 20, I would have been at my dad's side in the event of anything happening to my mom. I would have spoken to media if she was missing. I realize everyone is different, but those of us following since Day 1 are still perplexed by the total radio silence in this case.

Also, can anyone find Suzanne's name in NAMUS? I thought Colorado Missing Person's procedures call for local LE to make that entry into NAMUS. Maybe I'm just not finding it - so if anyone with more experience or an account at NAMUS can check, please post. I don't think she's there. This is, IMO, a criminal investigation and not a missing person's case.

I wondered that too but could not register due to not living in the USA. Maybe someone else can verify?

The Grace Church in Salida isn't using zoom and I understand why. A lot of older people have a very difficult time with Zoom. Others have bought into the Zoom-scare mentality. You have to have an account and use a code sent by the host. It is absolutely not a good idea to post the code publicly on a website. The church in question seems to know this and gives newcomers a way of contacting staff in addition to viewing the livestream on youtube.
bbm
Well , re. older folks -- Zoom's not scary, but a tech improvement for many; but I agree about not posting your code publicly.
I can see where people of any age might worry about privacy issues these days.

Maybe some older people remember a book/movie called "1984" ?? :eek:
G. Orwell was a man with a optimistic view of the future of mankind. *sarcasm intended*

Definitely could have been the bridge over the spillway at Fooses Dam.

But I think if SM was going to ride the Colorado Trail, she would have just turned left from Puma Path onto County Rd 225, which on the south side of Fooses Dam turns into a trail that becomes the Colorado Trail.

I'm not sure what you are calling the true Colorado Trail. Because it looks like riders coming from the parking lot trailhead where County Rd 225 and Hwy 50 meet would also ride up County Rd 225 and shortly be on the trail. Although at Fooses Dam, they could ride across the dam and then along the two power line right-of-ways to the summit and Monarch Pass Trailhead. One trail on the power line side appears to follow North Fooses Creek.

My map shows County Rd 225 becoming the Colorado Trail, which follows South Fooses Creek until it hits the Continental Divide Trail, the north turn of which takes the rider to the summit and Monarch Pass Trailhead.

I think a couple of the water search photos show Foose's Dam, which appears to be an earthen dam, and a couple show the dam downstream on the S Arkansas River from the Monarch Spur RV Park and Campground. That dam looks like a hydro plant maybe, and appears to have a concrete rim atop an earthen dam.

@windrower, Dave F, cousin @otto and all of those focusing on geography, maps and terrain, I really especially appreciate your posts.

Last edited:
The huge radio silence is telling. Where is SM's BFF? Her siblings? Heck, her old next door neighbor from Indiana. We heard from the nephew,who is silent now, an uncle, who seems to have only good intentions but really didn't seem close. None of these people are screaming from the rooftops to find Suzanne.

Oh, and the Fire Chief, who I think knows very little except what he's been told, which doesn't make it true. He does like to talk, though.

I think those closest to her knew right away what had happened.

MOO

If the home had properly working surveillance cameras/security system, I assume LE would be able to say for sure whether or not SM did go for a bike ride that Sunday. Definitely if there was a working camera that looked over their driveway, I would assume they could see her biking away, right? Maybe they wouldn't know exactly what happened to her, but they would be able to see if anyone else approached the house or came into the house and see the last time they were able to view SM. Just MOO
If this home had working cameras with recorded video I don't think we would all still be here discussing this .....
JMO

The huge radio silence is telling. Where is SM's BFF? Her siblings? Heck, her old next door neighbor from Indiana. We heard from the nephew,who is silent now, an uncle, who seems to have only good intentions but really didn't seem close. None of these people are screaming from the rooftops to find Suzanne.

Oh, and the Fire Chief, who I think knows very little except what he's been told, which doesn't make it true. He does like to talk, though.

I think those closest to her knew right away what had happened.

MOO
either that, or she was entirely estranged from family and friends...or isolated?
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member