Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The huge radio silence is telling. Where is SM's BFF? Her siblings? Heck, her old next door neighbor from Indiana. We heard from the nephew,who is silent now, an uncle, who seems to have only good intentions but really didn't seem close. None of these people are screaming from the rooftops to find Suzanne.

Oh, and the Fire Chief, who I think knows very little except what he's been told, which doesn't make it true. He does like to talk, though.

I think those closest to her knew right away what had happened.

MOO

The silence is deafening. I also take it as an indication they are (at least at this point) fully trusting LE. Isn't this about the time where the black sheep of the family (every family has at least one) poke their head out and say/do something embarrassing? Haven't seen any indication of that so far - hope it doesn't happen.

be careful what you wish for... I'm now thinking this is backhoe, bike, helmet, ring, home cameras......
Does BM own his delivery trucks for the heavy equipment? Does he own the heavy equipment?
Otherwise he would have to pay for the drops and pick ups. So, if a piece of heavy equipment was used there would be a record of which location it was dropped at. If he owns his own trucks for this that's another story.
But still, a great big truck with heavy equipment on it is very noticeable driving down the road.

To explain lest my comment be misconstrued --- perps like Scott Peterson and Fotis Dulos had one thing in common : They seemed to think themselves not just 'special' but a cut above the common sort.
And were possibly enraged that their spouses didn't revere them enough ?
Just guessing.
Imo.

Eta : Some perps will talk as if the victim 'made them do it'. Or, 'see what you made me do...'
Imo.
RSBM
There's certainly something about people who choose a criminal rather than a law-abiding option, whether it's theft, or fraud or drug dealing, or murder. They don't see it as wrong, and they don't worry they'll be caught.

A thief might never sell drugs. A serial killer might never exploit children. There's something particular in each criminal's circumstances that makes one crime appealing and justifiable, but not others.

An otherwise law-abiding person who murders their spouse...I'd say the common factor is they didn't want the spouse any more, but also didn't want to pay the high (often financial) price of undoing the marriage. It might mean losing the house and paying financial support, or losing out on the spouse's wealth or insurance policy. It could also be a feeling that getting divorced, being exposed as a failure, is intolerable.

JMO, and not necessarily true in this case.

The huge radio silence is telling. Where is SM's BFF? Her siblings? Heck, her old next door neighbor from Indiana. We heard from the nephew,who is silent now, an uncle, who seems to have only good intentions but really didn't seem close. None of these people are screaming from the rooftops to find Suzanne.

Oh, and the Fire Chief, who I think knows very little except what he's been told, which doesn't make it true. He does like to talk, though.

I think those closest to her knew right away what had happened.

MOO

Your comment makes a lot of sense, but here is my family situation which could possibly be duplicated in other families. I have told my family not to say one single word to the media should something happen to me. (Ex husband ... long story). The reason being that the media misquotes and twists/sensationalizes what has been said for headlines and profit.

It's also very stressful/horrifying to be attacked online when only trying to help/speak out, as if grief and worry were not enough to cope with at such a horrendous time. We see that again and again. For these reasons I asked my family to state "No comment" and stick with no comment. Lock the door and don't go on camera or do interviews. "Just let the cops do their job, and don't ever let anyone tell you I committed suicide because I did not, and would never".

The silence is deafening. I also take it as an indication they are (at least at this point) fully trusting LE. Isn't this about the time where the black sheep of the family (every family has at least one) poke their head out and say/do something embarrassing? Haven't seen any indication of that so far - hope it doesn't happen.

IMO that black sheep already did this at the beginning and has since gone very silent...JMO

They were not included in the list of agencies that joined in the search. Do you know that they were specifically ordered NOT to search?
I have a thought in the back of my mind that BM is in my opinion the most likely POI, but some of the comments by the fire chief are niggling at me. He stated that he was told BM was away on a job. BM told his family he was on a fire fighting course. Thereby destroying BM alibi. Who else did BM disclose to that he was away on a job? There were a few other oddities that I am not going to dig around for online about comments made by the chief, he knew where BM was staying, BM was pacing around looking out the windows. He is very vocal...just a niggling thought.

Does BM own his delivery trucks for the heavy equipment? Does he own the heavy equipment?
Otherwise he would have to pay for the drops and pick ups. So, if a piece of heavy equipment was used there would be a record of which location it was dropped at. If he owns his own trucks for this that's another story.
But still, a great big truck with heavy equipment on it is very noticeable driving down the road.
If he owned his own trucks, there would have been another search site we’d already know about...because clearly they weren’t parked at his home.

I have a thought in the back of my mind that BM is in my opinion the most likely POI, but some of the comments by the fire chief are niggling at me. He stated that he was told BM was away on a job. BM told his family he was on a fire fighting course. Thereby destroying BM alibi. Who else did BM disclose to that he was away on a job? There were a few other oddities that I am not going to dig around for online about comments made by the chief, he knew where BM was staying, BM was pacing around looking out the windows. He is very vocal...just a niggling thought.
Remember, not any of that has been validated. It’s all “I heard” or “I was told” or “reportedly”. LE has never said where Barry was. Or even acknowledged his existence outside of answering one question saying they hoped he would keep cooperating.

Can’t Leave? I’m pretty sure leaving is always easier than planning, completing, covering up and then facing the possibility of life in prison for murder. The latter seems much harder. IMO

One would think, but obviously it's not always the case. This is what I find so fascinating about cases where the perp looks like one of my friends - what is it that leads them to committing such an act, with the end result being life in prison - usually as a first offense.

I'm still catching up but just wanted to mention the ring. Where on earth is her ring? I am so dang curious where that huge diamond ring is!
That necklace, too. That would be an easy thing to break and drop off in a scuffle. A perp would have no way to get every piece, e.g. every little link. And the bigger piece (must be inscribed?), heck, that could roll away and elude clean up.

IMO that black sheep already did this at the beginning and has since gone very silent...JMO
Yeah, you aren't alone in that - but my take on TN is that he's a well-intended, well-meaning and concerned family member who was very involved while this was being handled as a missing person case, but has since gone quiet (understandably so, IMO) once it appeared to shift to more of a criminal investigation. JMO, MOO.

Remember, not any of that has been validated. It’s all “I heard” or “I was told” or “reportedly”. LE has never said where Barry was. Or even acknowledged his existence outside of answering one question saying they hoped he would keep cooperating.
Exactly - this and "no comment" when asked about her cell phone, the time of the 911 call and the searches - that's about all we have, right?
JMO
ETA: Link
Comments from KDVR reporter, Gregory Nieto said the Chaffee sheriff is not releasing any details.

When asked about her cell phone, “No comment”.

Gregory Nieto

I'm not sure what kind of equipment BM owns. 9News posted aerial video footage of his home. The video shows a flatbed trailer and a Bobcat skid-steer loader parked on the property. Various attachments can be used with the Bobcat, making it useful as landscaping equipment. Bobcat attachments here: Bobcat Attachments - Bobcat Company This equipment may or may not be his, we don't know yet.

Video:

ETA: added link for Bobcat attachments

Also, if he owns equipment, it may either be stored at another location or could be at a job site.

Last edited:
I've tried to stay up with most posts on our threads but this has occurred to me and perhaps I just missed this particular discussion - the age gap between the two (52,49) may not seem significant now to some but back in the day - a 3 year gap at college ? Lots of years to be in charge possibly ? I'm just trying to figure out why now? nothing fits for me except the usual..
JMO
Perhaps he was expecting her to die of natural causes, and when she didn't oblige, he helped the process along. Moo

either that, or she was entirely estranged from family and friends...or isolated?
JMO

I don't know how long they lasted or what type of treatment(s) she had for the 2 bouts with cancer that she had bravely fought and won. Just an observation on prolonged illness, it's isolating by nature, and it tests the best of human friendships and family relationships. Sometimes, after a time, well-meaning friends and family just aren't there, for whatever reason. It doesn't make them bad people, and it doesn't mean she didn't deserve the utmost support from all who knew her. Sometimes life just doesn't work that way. It might be the case here. By all accounts, she's an absolutely lovely woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752