MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because most white Americans don't see it that way. They see the immediate effects of it in the present. It's an old but effective playbook, protests lead to riots lead to looting. After that line has been crossed, most Americans become very law and order.
The looting is so self-destructive.

So true!!!!

It is so wrong to put firefighters in danger. They had nothing to do with this. How is setting buildings on fire going to help?

The people that did this are thugs and opportunists -they found an opportunity and took advantage of it----they are destroying their own city- also looting ---- it is sickening and disgusting.
People of all races have been killed unjustly. Police officers have been killed unjustly by people of all races.

How does rioting solve anything? How does stealing a big screen tv from Target solve anything?
Not any more it isn't. It should be the story but thanks to the idiots who have spent the last two nights tearing the place apart, that story is now being lost in the crowd.

Yes, how many complaints of excessive force should a cop be allowed to have on their record before they get the boot?
Part of the solution might be making it public whenever there is a complaint, investigation, hearing, disciplinary action taken against an officer. Make it public knowledge, out in the open....not something that is covered up and done behind doors.

Maybe that happens already, IDK, but being totally transparent about who is on the force in each community would help make sure everyone is performing to the best, not the worst.

jmo

Nothing---that's what. There will always be cops who enter the profession because they enjoy having power over people. Most cops are good people but there's always going to be a cop who enjoys the power he/she has. This cop certainly did. These rioters can burn every building in Minneapolis down and this kind of incident will happen again. This is about the kind of person this cop is. There's no way to weed these kind of cops out with 100% certainty.

Sorry but I disagree. If that officer had a fear that he would be arrested for murder and potentially receive DP he wouldn't have acted the way he did.

There should be harsher punishment for police brutality and maybe that would have detered this murder that happened in the street, in broad daylight in full view of the public.

MOO

How does the rioting equate with justice for Mr. Floyd? I don't think you are implying that he deserves no justice now that looting has taken place.

Anyone who lessens their outrage on what happened to Mr. Floyd because rioting has taken place need all of us to set them straight. Mr. Floyd is not dead because he looted Minneapolis. Mr. Floyd is not dead because he was violent. Mr. Floyd is dead because he allegedly passed a bad bill, was handcuffed and sat against a wall, and, somehow, ended up on the ground, handcuffed, facedown with a murderer jabbing his knee into his neck.

What if it happens in my neighborhood is a good question to ask about treatment of Mr. Floyd as well. What happens if it happens to your son/daughter/family member? What if you have a family member who is brutally attacked by men with guns who shove them to the ground and kill them?

Lessened outrage based on the riots is exactly the way we never tackle this issue and ensures that we will continue to have a divide in our country.

As always, JMHO.

Less us not all forget, this began with a reported crime. A crime George was accused of and should have played out in the court system.

As, to my family. We train our kids early on the police may not be justified, they could be wrongly arrested, there are crook it Cops, but NO matter what....STOP, put your Hands up, DO Not resist arrest and we will defend you in court. We tell them they risk life, when resisting arrest, the police can and will shoot you. Save your life and have a day in court, spare your family from the heart ache and pain of burying you. Its not worth it.

I've spent many a day, since retiring on the steps of the Virginia state capitol processing many causes. I'm first in line for justice for all. Never did I take a gun and shoot up the place or burn down a building of an innocent person.

I know from WS, it takes days to make a case, collect information, crime scene investigation, unless a confession is immediate.

Folks can't wait for an investigation, like the rest of American citizens?

Less us not all forget, this began with a reported crime. A crime George was accused of and should have played out in the court system.

As, to my family. We train our kids early on the police may not be justified, they could be wrongly arrested, there are crook it Cops, but NO matter what....STOP, put your Hands up, DO Not resist arrest and we will defend you in court. We tell them they risk life, when resisting arrest, the police can and will shoot you. Save your life and have a day in court, spare your family from the heart ache and pain of burying you. Its not worth it.

I've spent many a day, since retiring on the steps of the Virginia state capitol processing many causes. I'm first in line for justice for all. Never did I take a gun and shoot up the place or burn down a building of an innocent person.

I know from WS, it takes days to make a case, collect information, crime scene investigation, unless a confession is immediate.

Folks can't wait for an investigation, like the rest of American citizens?

Mr. Floyd, by most accounts and videos, did not resist and died anyway. He won't have his day in court. Even the business owner was thinking that he could have been unaware of the bad bill. Mr. Floyd did nothing to escalate it. In fact, it seems he did what you tell your kids to do. It is sad you have to say that to your children. It is sad that I have to say that to my children when it now seems clear that to that may still mean that they lose their life, especially if they are of color. Apparently, you don't even have to be a teen or adolescent to have these abuses occur--per Mr. Floyd's death.

I also agree that it takes days to make a case. That said, for many of us who might be accused of a crime, we are often arrested on lesser charges while the bigger case is made. That night, those officers tried to white-wash this case and went home to their families. They knew there was video of Mr. Floyd dying in their custody. The system is broken. They should have not gone home that night. They should have been held while charges were investigated. There was enough on those videos. There were enough people who witnessed the scene, heck, even the EMTs knew the man was dead and didn't start CPR on him on the street. We have a failure of leadership in LE and a culture of abuse that should not be propagated any longer.

Violence and rioting are wrong. But, this thread about Mr. Floyd shows the great amount of abuse involved/festering in this city's system.

Owner Mahmoud Abumayyaleh says what happened on the street outside his establishment should never have ended with a man dying.

“Most of the times when patrons give us a counterfeit bill they don’t even know its fake so when the police are called there is no crime being committed just wat to know where it came from and that’s usually what takes place this was a very circumstantial event that ended in a tragedy and unfortunately we are taking a lot of animosity,” he said.

He understands people are upset but feels their anger should be used to get the arrest and conviction of those responsible for Floyd’s death.

”For those who say if the police hadn’t been called he would be alive how does that staff member feel about that may be rightfully so but we cannot predict the future if I was there things wound have been handled differently,” Abumayyaleh said.

This businesses owner says he is prepared to do what he can for the family.

“We want to offer first and foremost our deepest condolences we want to offer any support whether its financially, socially, spiritually any type of support they need,”Abumayyaleh said.

Cup Food owners say video from the store, which they have been asked not to release, shows Floyd was not resisting officers.

They have offered to pay for Floyd’s funeral expenses.
Owner Of Cup Foods, Where Police First Encountered George Floyd, Calls For Justice

Hoping to see the full video soon. Certainly this video will PROVE Floyd was innocent and certainly bring an arrest of the four officers.

Well, I'd release the video anyway, especially since the city is burning. If he wants to help the family, show the video, gain the support of all Americans. The video should provide for swift justice for Floyd.
Moo

I agree that looting isn't the answer however, the protests aren't simply about weeding out the bad cops or stopping all police brutality, they're about the lack of justice and frustration.

Why weren't those cops immediately detained? I think the protests will continue until they are in jail. There is video evidence and still, none are jailed - yet, they sure showed up right quick to arrest and detain a black man for potentially passing a fake $20 and then they murder him on camera. He was detained, in handcuffs, on the ground, who was clearly not resisting or a threat in any way, and they're still free.

The protests are about society and its establishment, institutionalized racism, and lack of justice. Their anger has boiled over, and though I don't condone the looting, I understand the anger. When people have been treated like second class citizens in their own country, have had 100 years of Jim Crow laws enacted on them, and face daily racism, then you can't expect people to not to be outraged. King George felt the tea party was senseless and destructive too - but it sure brought change.

People were offended when Colin Kaepernick took the knee, so obviously, even peaceful protests draw the ire of many. I mean, I know people were upset because they felt his kneeling brought politics into the game - as if police killing unarmed black men is "politics,"and the same people defended the armed protesters at the various state capitol buildings.

I agree that looting isn't the answer however, the protests aren't simply about weeding out the bad cops or stopping all police brutality, they're about the lack of justice and frustration.

So its OK, to burn down innocent businesses, steal TVs and shoot folks. That's some justice....

The gun-toting protesters never fired a shot, didn't burn down buildings and hurt the innocent.

As I review the photos and some of the video of Mr. Floyd's killing, (I know this has probably been stated before) there is no sense of urgency, anger, sweat or hint that Mr. Floyd is doing any actions perceived as resisting. The cops don't appear worried or concerned. They are bizarrely blase about what is occurring. It is different than other times we see abuses occurring. No one is telling him to stop resisting or stop doing x or y. It is mind-boggling to me.

No, looting and burning are not okay. And those gleeful looters at Target were definitely not crying about George Floyd. Some people are just opportunists. And there may have been other opportunists instigating destruction for their own reasons JMO.

You don't have to be innocent of a crime to not have someone kneel on your neck for a good 7 minutes or so. Nobody kneeled on Dylann Roof's neck. Or on the necks of those protestors screaming and drooling in the faces of Michigan cops in the capitol building.

So what are we as the citizens of this great nation going to do to ensure justice nationwide? How can we reform how these cases are handled so there is a nationwide protocol for how police brutality is addressed?

Hoping to see the full video soon. Certainly this video will PROVE Floyd was innocent and certainly bring an arrest of the four officers.

Well, I'd release the video anyway, especially since the city is burning. If he wants to help the family, show the video, gain the support of all Americans. The video should provide for swift justice for Floyd.
Moo

Why does George Floyd need to be proven innocent? Even if he had resisted arrest on footage that we haven't seen yet, what difference does that make? Even if the $20 he passed was phony, and he knew it, what difference does that make? It doesn't matter what he did before that of a cop decided to kneel on him and choke the life out of him. Resisting arrest and/or passing fake bills doesn't give the cops the right to kill someone. Show the full video to gain the support of all Americans? I think what we saw was enough. This is why people are outraged.

Moo
But the full video shouldn't even be necessary IMO. Nothing Floyd could have done would warrant the treatment that he got.

Part of the solution might be making it public whenever there is a complaint, investigation, hearing, disciplinary action taken against an officer. Make it public knowledge, out in the open....not something that is covered up and done behind doors.

Maybe that happens already, IDK, but being totally transparent about who is on the force in each community would help make sure everyone is performing to the best, not the worst.

jmo

If there were some progress in getting bad officers off the street, things would improve. But there's been almost zero progress on that front in the last 20+ years. If anything, its gotten worse. Maybe that's part of someone's plan, who knows. Some folks benefit when our society is constantly in disruption and factions of the 99% are at war with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998