Forgotten Reports about Long Island Human Remains Found

I seriously think this is my favorite thread on here. It's packed with so many unidentified or missing people from just Long Island alone it boggles my mind. I keep coming back to cross reference.!!

I would love to Create a thread like this for the other boroughs. I am sure many of the people that end up out there are from one of the boroughs.

I wonder how many of the unidentified people written about on this thread were identified and how many of these missing ones were found?

Interesting...

Another headless find.

SOURCE: Skeleton Found in Wantagh: [NASSAU AND SUFFOLK Edition]
Tom Demoretcky. STAFF WRITER. Newsday [Long Island, N.Y] 07 July 2003: A28.

How can they tell there are no signs of foul play when the head the ribcage and the legs are missing?

How can they tell there are no signs of foul play when the head the ribcage and the legs are missing?
If they had the complete skeleton, there may be signs of foul play. If they found only a few bones, it's possible that those pieces showed no signs of foul play. Maybe the article could have been worded better.

While digging up old newspaper articles pertaining to the Manorville Butcher I started to discover that there were many other human remains discovered on Long Island. The stories about these findings seem to have been forgotten over the years. Thought I'd start this thread to bring them back into the spotlight.
I also think that cases in this state need to be linked to the same type of cases in nearby states. The method of killing and the way the bodies are disposed of could have links to other cases not just NJ but PA or other nearby states. Law enforcement really needs a data base that can collate these distinct facts in each case. Cold cases could possibly be solved quicker.

I also think that cases in this state need to be linked to the same type of cases in nearby states. The method of killing and the way the bodies are disposed of could have links to other cases not just NJ but PA or other nearby states. Law enforcement really needs a data base that can collate these distinct facts in each case. Cold cases could possibly be solved quicker.
Check out the Murder Accountability Project. It's not very user-friendly IMO, but I think it heads in the direction you're suggesting.

Interesting...

Another headless find.

SOURCE: Skeleton Found in Wantagh: [NASSAU AND SUFFOLK Edition]
Tom Demoretcky. STAFF WRITER. Newsday [Long Island, N.Y] 07 July 2003: A28.
No obvious signs of foul play missing body parts? Really it's just a torso

And MORE severed heads!!!

SOURCE: Grisly Murders Still a Mystery / Focus on victims' roommates: [QUEENS Edition]
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. Newsday [Long Island, N.Y] 08 Sep 1996: A.30.
Russian mob sex or drug trafficking rings. Criminals look at crime shows too. They can see that dismembered bodies are harder to identify and to show a cause of actual death.

I
Excellent idea. You have no idea how many cases I did not include because they were either immediately solved (with arrests) and/or they were elderly people who the police assumed simply wandered off and dropped dead.
It would also be helpful if the DNA from families of the missing in the state and across the country was taken in each missing person reports. That may already be done regularly but is that shared across state lines. That may speed up the identification of the deceased person. And even an international sharing of information because sex trafficking of the missing is global. The original 10 ate all known sex workers who could have been targets of a larger sex trafficker not just a random serial killer.

Not wanting to get off topic on the unidentified human remains thread too much but I want to say that the VICAP and VICLAS will be effective only if it is mandatory to utilize them in every state and province in North America. Only then will these clusters of serial killings be solved in my opinion. This means funding is required.
The FBI's Flawed ViCAP Database - The Atlantic
Three decades after the FBI launched a revolutionary system to catch repeat offenders, it remains largely unused.

Another torso missing body parts!

SOURCE: Torso of Woman Is Found in River: [CITY Edition]
Carper, Alison. Newsday [Long Island, N.Y] 19 Oct 1987: 40.
I wonder what ever became of this woman?

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to posting here, but no stranger to the internet or true crime communities. I am originally from the Long Island area and have always had an interest in these cases, especially after the arrest of JB in 2014.

One of the prevailing reasons people cite that JB is _not_ LISK, or at least not responsible for all of the dismembered women found near Manorville is that earlier in his career he posed his victims in a specific way.

I've been looking through unsolved, un-IDed, and similar cases in the area and I stumbled on this one:

NAMUS ID: UP6938
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

While the victim was found in Queens, it's an area that is Queens in name only. She was found 5 minutes off of the Long Island Expressway exit 25.

What stands out to me is the timeline: she was discovered in Feb 1994, and was likely killed sometime in late 1993 to early 1994 - the absolute apex of Bittrollf's known killing spree. The victim was found with only her right shoe, which is pictured on the NAMUS page.

Left shoe missing but no other major signs of violence, victim close to the LIE screams JB to a T to me. I have attached a google maps image showing how close this victim was found to the LIE.

Land of pure fiction speculation: This is potentially of note if you believe that JB is responsible for the GB4 & AC4, as it would make all 3 a series of 4 spree murders of sex workers in a short period of time, with the bodies in each spree disposed of in a specific way.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 10.20.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 10.20.54 AM.png
    356.5 KB · Views: 26
The victim was found with only her right shoe, which is pictured on the NAMUS page.

Left shoe missing

That’s definitely a victim of Bittrolffs as all of his victims were missing their left shoes, it’s his signature. I’m sure because of that the victim is already on the cops radar as being one of Bittrolffs.

Edit: as I posted this before I checked out the link, this victim was found with her clothes. All of Bittrolffs victims were nude and posed in sexual positions, with left shoes missing. In that case, I’m not sure if her left shoe went missing in transport etc, if not and the suspect took it, it’s most certainly Bittrolff as I can’t imagine there’s very many SK’s or suspects who take victims left shoes as one of their MO’s. It’s certainly one of the more different MO’s I’ve come across.

Last edited:
You're right about the clothing, is it confirmed that all 2/3 were found nude? Posing we have no idea about here.

My thoughts on the shoe are that it doesn't appear to be scavenged given how much else was recovered, but if every single one of JB's victims was nude around this time that would make it pretty unlikely that it's connected in my opinion.

You're right about the clothing, is it confirmed that all 2/3 were found nude? Posing we have no idea about here..

yes it was confirmed that the two victims he was convicted of murdering were found nude, wearing nothing but their right shoes, left shoes were missing and taken by him.

He’s suspected in Sandra Costilla’s murder but it was released by police that she was killed and posed in the same way as the other two victims, but there’s also some differences with Sandra in that she was found mutilated. So Bittrolff potentially switches things up a bit between victims. Sandra was also apparently found clothed.

Im thinking maybe she went to a school near there i mean she was around 20 ish and universities are close to where she was found and shes university age sooo......

If her left shoe was missing that matches the same MO and he could be keeping them as a trophy of his work i mean thats what most killers do

And also about the nude victims maybe there was something in common about them that he was sexually attracted to....

The nude victims were also sex workers (Rita Tangredi and Colleen McNamee). Sandra Costilla was not a known sex worker. LE said she "led a similar lifestyle." I don't know if that means exotic dancer or what.

And also about the nude victims maybe there was something in common about them that he was sexually attracted to....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back