Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m responding to the poster that said they built the home in Colorado in 2008. They did not move there until 2018
One does not have to be a resident of the state in which the house property is located, in order to build a house. I would guess that the only year-around residents of that subdivision (until 2018) were the neighbor who reported SM missing, and her family. This information is most likely exactly what one poster said, the original permit left over as a remnant of the inspections in the construction of the house, which by normal habit would have been deleted from the website. It says loud and clear to me is that in twelve years time, the property is worth five times Sm and BLM's initial investment. That is very, very smart; and tells me the couple has been able to build comfortable wealth in full partnership.
Maybe not, though. Posters seem to be able to come up with answers that I would never dream of, so I encourage anyone to explain away the team building of their dream home in the Rockies, ten full years before the anonymous "relatives" and "friends" that have exerted their opinions as factual news, claim they did it. IMO

Regarding the move from Indiana to CO;
They went from a 6200 sf home on 13 acres (sold it for $750,000), to a 3300 sf home on 7 acres (bought for $1,570,000).
MOO but this make me even more curious about why they moved.
Honestly, that doesn't faze me. They have a daughter in college and another in high school and may have just decided that they didn't need such a big house. When you get to a certain age, you find you don't need such a big house anymore- more to clean and the upkeep of inside and outside can be daunting in a larger home.

They may have anticipated being empty nesters within a couple of years or so. If so, it would make sense to downsize. Especially where Suzanne has been sick in the past, the less work the better.

One does not have to be a resident of the state in which the house property is located, in order to build a house. I would guess that the only year-around residents of that subdivision (until 2018) were the neighbor who reported SM missing, and her family. This information is most likely exactly what one poster said, the original permit left over as a remnant of the inspections in the construction of the house, which by normal habit would have been deleted from the website. It says loud and clear to me is that in twelve years time, the property is worth five times Sm and BLM's initial investment. That is very, very smart; and tells me the couple has been able to build comfortable wealth in full partnership.
Maybe not, though. Posters seem to be able to come up with answers that I would never dream of, so I encourage anyone to explain away the team building of their dream home in the Rockies, ten full years before the anonymous "relatives" and "friends" that have exerted their opinions as factual news, claim they did it. IMO
That may be the $64,000 question..

• The bare property sold in 2008 (not to Morphews).
  • Sold as improved in 2015 (not to Morphews),
  • Sold to Morphews in April 2018.
Also,
Per Zillow:
-Dec 10, 2017 - the home was listed for sale at $1,575,000

-Jan 31, 2018 shows pending sale at $1,575,000. This means the Morphews made an offer to purchase at that price. So they were looking to buy the property before Jan 31.

-April 12, 2018 is sold date. This is when the buyer removes all contingencies, money is received by the seller, and the buyer receives the key to the house.

Also,
Per Zillow:
-Dec 10, 2017 - the home was listed for sale at $1,575,000

-Jan 31, 2018 shows pending sale at $1,575,000. This means the Morphews made an offer to purchase at that price. So they were looking to buy the property before Jan 31.

-April 12, 2018 is sold date. This is when the buyer removes all contingencies, money is received by the seller, and the buyer receives the key to the house.
I noted there was a mistake in recording the sale to the Morphews, which was corrected to reflect the land was not vacant when sold.

I'd like to be fair to the multitude of men who have suffered through burgundy and hunter green living rooms, ivy-laden wallpaper and floral patterned couches, bedrooms with flounced bedspreads and 28 cushions on the bed. Your dismay over living in a men's hunting club or a floral nightmare may boil down to the simple philosophy of picking your battles.
I giggled, good one :D

I'm curious if hunting cabins/shacks/lean-to's/etc. are a thing in Colorado? If so, are they on public or private land (or both) and are they well-known (registered, etc.) or something that only hunters know about? I'm from the suburbs, so maybe I've seen too many movies, lol. Just wondering aloud if there is any chance something like that (I'm picturing a Unabomber-like setting) is something that could be a consideration?

Honestly, that doesn't faze me. They have a daughter in college and another in high school and may have just decided that they didn't need such a big house. When you get to a certain age, you find you don't need such a big house anymore- more to clean and the upkeep of inside and outside can be daunting in a larger home.

They may have anticipated being empty nesters within a couple of years or so. If so, it would make sense to downsize. Especially where Suzanne has been sick in the past, the less work the better.
Might have been a college tuition factor. With their daughter in a Colorado college, the difference between instate and out-of-state tuition is huge. I don't know if their daughter is at a state school or not.

Source: Our kids fell in love with and wanted to go to Boulder.
The tuition difference in/out of state was the biggest out of all of the state schools they applied to.

Last edited:
The antler toilet paper holder in the guest bedroom of their IN home would have been a hard "no" from me. Makes me think that SM supported her husband's hobby, espa
  • The bare property sold in 2008 (not to Morphews).
  • Sold as improved in 2015 (not to Morphews),
  • Sold to Morphews in April 2018.
What's perplexing is that the building permit issued in 2008 was to the Morphews, but the county property records reflect that someone else owned the property at that time. According to the online records, the Morphews purchased (took title to) the property in 2018.

It's my understanding that they subdivided it. The tax record calls it a general farm. Can you find a record for the house itself? Zillow reports that the house itself sold for $750,000 per public records in March, 2019.

The subdivision of the property was discussed in the first couple of threads - I could be misremembering, but that tax record doesn't look like a record for a house. It's a parcel without a lot number, no mention of valuation of buildings- maybe Indiana doesn't record that for tax purposes, but most places do.

Anyone know? It has been deeded as a grain farm, not a residence according to that record. At any rate, it seems to me from the list of real estate transactions associated with Suzanne that they once had more than 10 acres, got a separate deed for the house, put it on the market, got a division of the remainder so as to leave 10 acres of farm in their own name - and then sold 3 acres, not including the house parcel.

Perhaps they merely refinanced the house:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/26040-Cal-Carson-Rd-Arcadia,-IN_rb/138946377_zpid/

But usually the multiple listings and real estate transaction on Zillow (from public records) are accurate, to the point that I'm unwilling to pay the fee to get them separately.

Here is the link to the county tax records in Indiana. ArcGIS Web Application

You can drive down and see the property I listed includes the house. Here is a link to assessed values. Hamilton County, IN - Property Records
These records don't take long to update so if the house has been sold, it would have shown on these records.

yes - I totally get that.
It just seemed so odd that they halved the size of the home and the size of the land, but doubled the cost!

The antler toilet paper holder in the guest bedroom of their IN home would have been a hard "no" from me. Makes me think that SM supported her husband's hobby, espa

What's perplexing is that the building permit issued in 2008 was to the Morphews, but the county property records reflect that someone else owned the property at that time. According to the online records, the Morphews purchased (took title to) the property in 2018.
Wait, I did not realize this - the original building permit on the CO property was issued to the Morphews??

I'm curious if hunting cabins/shacks/lean-to's/etc. are a thing in Colorado? If so, are they on public or private land (or both) and are they well-known (registered, etc.) or something that only hunters know about? I'm from the suburbs, so maybe I've seen too many movies, lol. Just wondering aloud if there is any chance something like that (I'm picturing a Unabomber-like setting) is something that could be a consideration?

I’ll never forget how Elizabeth Smart was found after 9 months being held captive in a camp.

I’ve thought if that scenario here, but I feel like LE aren’t pursuing it. And I assume it’s for a very good reason.

MOO

Houses in the mountains, on the lake, beach, etc are often sold fully furnished. I’ve known a lot of people who buy these type of homes because it is intended to be their vacation home and rental. They usually only change minor details. Since this was to be their permanent home, SM might have been waiting to get through treatments to change decor. She had just found out cancer had returned when they moved. I’m not surprised BM is displaying his hunting trophies, those I know who are avid hunters are very proud of their kills. Personally I refuse to hang the one buck my husband shot when he was a teenager.
All the pictures I’ve seen, except one with BM reading a bible in great room, are from the real estate listing. The rest of the house could have been changed more to suit her taste as far as I know.

I watched BMs video again. Something stood out for me. He began by reaching out to Suzanne, not the abductor. If she has been abducted I doubt that she is sitting around checking out you tube and Facebook.
It didn’t make sense to me for him to speak to her... maybe a ploy to make us think either she left willingly or that she was abducted and like in the movies ... the kidnappers were sitting around with Suzanne waiting to hear from Barry.
Maybe he’s watched Ruthless People?

I watched BMs video again. Something stood out for me. He began by reaching out to Suzanne, not the abductor. If she has been abducted I doubt that she is sitting around checking out you tube and Facebook.
It didn’t make sense to me for him to speak to her... maybe a ploy to make us think either she left willingly or that she was abducted and like we see in the movies ... the kidnappers were sitting around with SM waiting to hear from BM.
Maybe he’s watched Ruthless People?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member