Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding leaving the wife and daughters to go work on Mother's Day--this would not be an unusual thing in our household, especially if our kids were older. Barry is the only male in their immediate family, and maybe it's a nice thing for them, or especially for SM, to have a "girls" day. Also, if it's something my husband really needs to do for work, that makes things easier on him, I'm for sure going to say, "Sure, you go ahead, the girls and I will...[insert whatever activity they might plan to do]".

Different families do different things. I'm sure some can't imagine not being all together, or having the husband cook breakfast and pamper the mom on Mother's Day, but that's certainly not the case for every family. Some people open Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve, which is a complete no-no in our family! :p

Someone upthread questioned why BM wasn't worried about the girls being late to get back from their trip--I got the impression, from what he said, that he was in communication with them during that day, so he probably got a text from them early on stating they were running late.

Of course, these points don't make or break whether or not BM was involved in her disappearance. And, my arguments assume that what he said is true. Who knows?

I keep seeing post after post talking about the video guy being dishonest. Where? Can someone post at what minute marker they are talking about as the only reference to such in the transcript that mentions anything remotely to what folks are saying again and again is

"10:08 i don't know if the camera picked it up
10:09or not but he said if i'm with the news
10:11media he's going to come after me"

Folks are saying he lied about filming... TIA
Good questions. ^^^

I think people are referring to BM asking if it was on and the video guy saying he'd put the phone away... but still had it rolling/recording.
*Ahem*
So why would BM just start talking ?
Wouldn't he demand to see that it was turned off ?

Actually I think that this may have been planned.
Why would BM open up to a stranger when he wouldn't grant a presser and take questions and plead for searchers ?

Imo.
OTOH --- I for one am grateful for this (sneaky ?) interview as it gives a look into BM's 'mannerisms' and I think it's possible he let information slip out and dropped hints albeit unwittingly.

Why did he want video guy to think LE told him he was cleared ????

BM has to know that VG could verify this by giving the interview to LE (Maybe he already has. I would.), or asking or waiting to see if LE publicly says BM is cleared.
LE haven't publicly said anyone is a poi.
Another person could have harmed her but not necessarily a random stranger.
More like a cohort.
Imo

Last edited:
At 4:40, YT guy says- especially in Colorado, you got guys like Patrick Frazee & Chris Watts, you know these guys get on there and they act like they didn't do anything. Naturally people are going to be skeptical in the beginning, you know but. - BM interjects, yeah I understand but, so you just came down?

That must have been a really uncomfortable moment for BM.

Wow. That was some video. Seems as staged and as ill-judged as the infamous 26-second plea. Just don’t get why BM would have said anything to this guy, beyond a robust “Get outta my face with that GoPro!”

OTOH, I’m recalling Rio’s observation about how much a prosecutor loves an interview given by a possible POI in a case. Could this be this case’s “Well, exactly” moment?

Did you see the video from the previous day by the same YouTuber? Barry came upon him driving within 8 feet while the YouTubers was holding his arms up walking within 50 feet of Barry's truck prior to Barry getting in the truck and then passing him by.

He knew that person was filming from the day before, which is the second YouTube.

Moo, 100% he knew he would be at least recorded or filmed, and used this to get his side of the story out.

Just listen to what he says... he's spinning...

MOO
Not saying you are wrong. And I think the first video was only a few minutes before. Did he know the guy was filming him.? I don’t think he could know that.

I am all for finding out what LE has in evidence. Then I will judge harshly if he is guilty.

I am not really that good at sleuthing. I simply read and wait for the arrest warrants.

However, are you also following the Gannon Stauch case? I knew LS was guilty by her behavior and what she did NOT do before the arrest warrant even came out. She is not a good actress. Not caring that a little boy was missing. Not being devastated that he would “run away”. As if!

So I am comfortable with thinking you and the other posters are accurate in what you see in BM. I guess I just want him to be innocent and I want Suzanne to come home.:(

On the topic of the phone... IF BM is responsible for Suzanne missing, then I seriously doubt LE has her phone. He would not have just discarded it as evidence to be found - by a random biker/hiker, or by LE. If her phone has been found, I might start leaning back toward the middle of my pointy seat here on the fence. IMO. JMO.

Granted, LE doesn't need the phone itself to gather its data.

I will tell you what that video taught me - keep your mouth shut, but especially if you are guilty.

I was pretty much still holding out hope - until I noticed BM caught himself up, at least twice -- where he stopped himself mid-sentence and completely changed the direction of his statement. Our brain wants to tell the truth, I think. JMO.

Of course there could be non-suspicious reasons for this (e.g., being asked not to disclose information about the bike), but I can't ignore the fact that LE has been treating this as a criminal investigation (IMO) from Day One, if not Minute One. (ETA: Of course just because they are treating it as a criminal investigation does not mean they think / know BM is guilty. Hopefully you guys know by now I want this to be anything but that. It is not abnormal to keep family in the dark about their investigation; we hear that all the time.)

I know we have been lucky with some recent cases where we've seen quicker-than-usual resolution (Shannan, Kelsey, Gannon), and I hope we will have the same short turnaround here. It is still very early in this missing persons case / investigation.
You guys are good. I listened so carefully to what he said but didn’t catch the two pauses there.
Thanks.

Maybe I’m missing something but do we know why BM would “know” the police mishandled the scene where the bike was found? He claims they “let ten people touch it,” among other things. How would he have found this out? They’re not telling him a thing about the other item found. Why would they blab about mishandling the bike (if they did)?

Maybe from the nephew? Sorry if it’s obvious and I’m not connecting the dots. I haven’t had my coffee yet.

At 4:40, YT guy says- especially in Colorado, you got guys like Patrick Frazee & Chris Watts, you know these guys get on there and they act like they didn't do anything. Naturally people are going to be skeptical in the beginning, you know but. - BM interjects, yeah I understand but, so you just came down?

That must have been a really uncomfortable moment for BM.

Yes, innocent or guilty, that had to be a very uncomfortable moment. I noticed how smoothly he changed the subject.

The video guy comes across as very insincere. If you’re going to choose someone to open up to, he would be my last choice, Plus the coincidence of meeting at the spot where your wife was possibly abducted or dragged off by a wild animal as “prey” (shudder). I just can’t wrap my head around BM trusting this random stranger who he saw filming the day before.

Some possibilities:

BM opens up like this to everyone he meets along his search.

BM knew he was filming and choose the opportunity to get his story out.

BM is completely distraught and not thinking clearly and trusted unwisely.

Other ????

I got about 90 seconds in to the video and just couldn’t keep watching. I was so uncomfortable with the youtuber lying about his camera and then faking empathy the entire time.

Even though I’m pretty sure BM is guilty, it was just gross and made me too uncomfortable to watch. If it turns out he isn’t, I’ll be absolutely disgusted with whatshisnameyoutubeguy.
Oh I watched it. But I feel the same about the deceitful guy. You would think he works for national enquirer.

I've listened to it a couple of times and still don't know what to think. My initial reaction was he was being largely truthful (but exaggerating), but the more I listen (and the more I read comments) the more questions I have. However, regardless, I do think that there are probably more truths in here than lies - so I wanted to look at it from the lens of "what if BM is telling the truth?

The bike was found near the road in a ravine (not on a bridge, not up the mountain on a path). LE found a personal item along that same road some distance away. Obviously LE knows if this is true or not.

Clearly the animal attack narrative (per the email to the church) came from BM. It sounds like BM is still holding to that as a possibility, despite LEs statement that it was "unlikely".

BM believes LE mishandled the scene around the bike. This might explain TNs statement about "ask the sheriff" re: the condition of the bike. It could also explain why LE has been so tight-lipped about the the bike. Obviously LE knows if this is true or not.

BM also appears to be holding onto the abduction possibility. That's not surprising given the video and lack of other alternative plausible theories.

We potentially learned quite a bit about BMs alleged whereabouts on Sunday. I didn't hear him actually state when he left home, but believe he implies it was on Sunday (which would also imply he very well could have been the last person to see SM alive). He also states the plan was for the daughters to be back earlier in the day to spend time with SM, that they were delayed and texted SM. It's when they didn't hear back that they became concerned and called the neighbor. He indicates he was in the communication loop and actually suggested that they call the police. He says he got home around 9 pm, which fits fairly closely with heading home around the time the call to the police was made. There is a lot of detail in that narrative that could be corroborated or refuted based on cell records, interviewing the neighbor, daughters and others who may have been on the camping trip.

I think it's interesting that BM says "they told me I'm cleared". Obviously LE knows if that is true - and if they in fact told him that, why hasn't LE announced it? They were quick to announce the landowner had no ties to the case....

I guess what I take from all of it is even if everything BM said is true - well, minus the clear exaggerations like the 200 mile radius search area - I don't think there's anything in here that is a revelation that actually clears him (knowing that the bike could have been staged). Much of what BM said is verifiable by LE and, if true, certainly lends credibility to the argument that it could have been an animal attack, accident, or abduction. But if BM is lying in the video, that would cast much more suspicion on him. Time will tell......
What if the 200 mile radius was searched by drones? Possible.

And everyone says he knows he was being filmed? Then why give information that’s untruthful when he knows LE can fact check him? I see him as being truthful.

Maybe I’m missing something but do we know why BM would “know” the police mishandled the scene where the bike was found? He claims they “let ten people touch it,” among other things. How would he have found this out? They’re not telling him a thing about the other item found. Why would they blab about mishandling the bike (if they did)?

Maybe from the nephew? Sorry if it’s obvious and I’m not connecting the dots. I haven’t had my coffee yet.
IMO, his Army Ranger buddy who has been on over 400 tours and "knows this stuff" told him.

He arrived home at 9 pm on Sunday so he was there when LE were there. Also I’m sure others could have told him. It’s a small town.

This "chance" video is as orchestrated as the 27 second plea for Suzanne. Barry is in control folks, This wasn't an accidental meeting with this Tyler fellow. Clever how they thought of the threat at the end to make it seem more legitimate. IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member