Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes... so many options... perhaps the video shows the aftermath and not the event itself... So many different possibilities. I think it is very telling when he said they have determined her cause of death.

I also wonder if the bit about knowing the cause of death could be a mistranslation? There was another saying he had been charged, but the actual German read that he was being officially investigated and it was a translation error.

"Seven years in prison for brutal rape in Portugal
Braunschweig. 14 years ago, a 72 year old was attacked in her home. The 43 year old suspect is pleading not guilty in the trial taking place in Braunschweig.

The suspect is talking of a "trial of arbitrariness", his lawyer demands to release the suspect because of the benefit of the doubt. The regional court of Braunschweig on the other hand is sure that the suspect is guilty.

14 years ago - in September 2005 - the suspect, who had his last residence near Braunschweig, is accused to have robbed, shackled, hit, raped and stolen from a 72 year old American woman in her home in Portugal.

In the verdict, the regional court agrees with the Departement of public prosecution: The 43 year old is sentenced to serve seven years in prison for brutal rape and robbery.

This seven years include a former sentence of a year and nine months given by the court of Niebüll in Schleswig-Holstein for Marihuana dealing and drug trafficking on Sylt.

Both trials are now investigating the question, if the suspect is protected by the "Spezialitätsgrundsatz": Meaning that he can only be charged for the crime because of which he was transfered from Portugal to Germany.

The regional court of Braunschweig is arguing that the protection of the "Spezialitätsgrundsatz" is not longer valid, because the suspect stayed in Italy after his deportation from Portugal. The 43 year old does not share this opinion: "I am still protected by the Spezialitätsgrundsatz. They should not have been able to arrest me in Italy."

The definitive verdict will be given by the Bundesgerichtshof (German Federal Supreme Court).

The rape trial is not effected by the verdict of the German Federal Supreme Court.

The emigrant, who made his living in Portugal with various part-time jobs, lived in a house close to the home of the victim when the crime took place. He depictes himself as a helpful man with changing relationships and claims to have nothing in common with the masked robber of September 2005 who seemed to enjoy hitting and torturing his victim with a bendable metal object.

But how did a body hair of the suspect end up on the crime scene? The Departement of public prosecution Claims the hair to be strong and valid evidence. The suspect has other ideas of how the hair ended up there: While petting the victims cat in front of the house or a meeting in the Supermarket or cafe, the hair could have been transported to the house by chance.

And then it ended up on the same bed sheet on the bed used during the rape? That's too far fetched for the regional court - as an DNA expert confirmed during the trial. She said it is possible, but very unlikely.
The investigators found the hair early on, but could not connect it to the suspect right away, years after the unsolved crime took place. Acquaintances of the suspect mentioned video tapes during the iterrogation of the police. This tapes showed the suspect in apparenty real rape scenes.

The video tapes did never show up, it's said that they don't exist anymore. Did the former acquaintances made them up to come to good terms with the police? The lawyer of the suspect points out that there are a lot of obections in the statements, "the statements are just not believeable."

The Departement of public prosecution claims the statements to be valid. "The police started investigating because they reported the rape of an older woman.", the judge explains. The Police started looking into crimes in Portugal which matched the description the two made. The description matched the case of the raped 72 year old.

Regarding all given evidence, the Departement of public prosecution finds the suspect to be guilty."

Translated by me, a non-professional translator who is known for translating fanfiction and not for her great knowledge of juristic Terms. I'm very sorry for spelling mistakes!

I'm German but born in Austria and always lived here AND I don't have a car or driver's license, so I'm totally the wrong person to ask, sorry. ;) I also thought about this and so far can't think of anything other than the date being suspicious.
maybe the car is another way to help witnesses identify the suspect - without giving out his name. it is a pretty distinctive vehicle.

It’s so refreshing to see normal people speculating & theorising based on facts. I have been reading Facebook posts & other forum posts all day & the vitriol & hate aimed towards the McCanns is astounding! All baseless stuff that folk have read on the internet.

Anyway, it’s important not to get too ahead of ourselves here, however based on what we are seeing this could be positive news & a much needed light at the end of the tunnel for the McCanns & the authorities.

Braunschweig. 14 years ago, a 72 year old was attacked in her home. The 43 year old suspect is pleading not guilty in the trial taking place in Braunschweig.

The suspect is talking of a "trial of arbitrariness", his lawyer demands to release the suspect because of the benefit of the doubt. The regional court of Braunschweig on the other hand is sure that the suspect is guilty.

14 years ago - in September 2005 - the suspect, who had his last residence near Braunschweig, is accused to have robbed, shackled, hit, raped and stolen from a 72 year old American woman in her home in Portugal.

In the verdict, the regional court agrees with the Departement of public prosecution: The 43 year old is sentenced to serve seven years in prison for brutal rape and robbery.

This seven years include a former sentence of a year and nine months given by the court of Niebüll in Schleswig-Holstein for Marihuana dealing and drug trafficking on Sylt.

Both trials are now investigating the question, if the suspect is protected by the "Spezialitätsgrundsatz": Meaning that he can only be charged for the crime because of which he was transfered from Portugal to Germany.

The regional court of Braunschweig is arguing that the protection of the "Spezialitätsgrundsatz" is not longer valid, because the suspect stayed in Italy after his deportation from Portugal. The 43 year old does not share this opinion: "I am still protected by the Spezialitätsgrundsatz. They should not have been able to arrest me in Italy."

The definitive verdict will be given by the Bundesgerichtshof (German Federal Supreme Court).

The rape trial is not effected by the verdict of the German Federal Supreme Court.

The emigrant, who made his living in Portugal with various part-time jobs, lived in a house close to the home of the victim when the crime took place. He depictes himself as a helpful man with changing relationships and claims to have nothing in common with the masked robber of September 2005 who seemed to enjoy hitting and torturing his victim with a bendable metal object.

But how did a body hair of the suspect end up on the crime scene? The Departement of public prosecution Claims the hair to be strong and valid evidence. The suspect has other ideas of how the hair ended up there: While petting the victims cat in front of the house or a meeting in the Supermarket or cafe, the hair could have been transported to the house by chance.

And then it ended up on the same bed sheet on the bed used during the rape? That's too far fetched for the regional court - as an DNA expert confirmed during the trial. She said it is possible, but very unlikely.
The investigators found the hair early on, but could not connect it to the suspect right away, years after the unsolved crime took place. Acquaintances of the suspect mentioned video tapes during the iterrogation of the police. This tapes showed the suspect in apparenty real rape scenes.

The video tapes did never show up, it's said that they don't exist anymore. Did the former acquaintances made them up to come to good terms with the police? The lawyer of the suspect points out that there are a lot of obections in the statements, "the statements are just not believeable."

The Departement of public prosecution claims the statements to be valid. "The police started investigating because they reported the rape of an older woman.", the judge explains. The Police started looking into crimes in Portugal which matched the description the two made. The description matched the case of the raped 72 year old.

Regarding all given evidence, the Departement of public prosecution finds the suspect to be guilty."

Translated by me, a non-professional translator who is known for translating fanfiction and not for her great knowledge of juristic Terms. I'm very sorry for spelling mistakes!

It’s a fair point. The video might never have existed. But when you marry it to the confession and video in the bar and (I assume) different witness, it becomes more compelling.

One would hope so, he had access to this property at the time, & with the media hype surrounding this case during the days if not hours after her disappearance he would have had to dispose of any evidence quickly. All conjecture of course.

I thought he left there a year previously? It sounded like it had been cleared out - maybe for new tenants.

Wow thanks so much for this. So she was 72 back in 2005. And he was convicted in 2019? She would be 86 today. I wonder if the victim was still alive to see her rapist face justice? :(

Last edited:
The German man attacked the American woman at her home in Praia da Luz, Portugal in September 2005, about a year and a half before Madeleine at the same resort, the Braunschweiger Zeitung newspaper reported.

He was caught after a friend discovered a video of separate attacks on an older woman and a young woman, both tied up and raped, and DNA evidence linked him to the 72-year-old’s rape.

Who - and where - was this younger woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie