Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Crud.
Holy Crud.

SFA:
06/05/2020
Order Issued
Order Approving Sale of Real Estate entered. ew
Judicial Officer:
Casati, Michael A.
Noticed:
Hoeller, Mary Jane
Order Signed:
06/05/2020

Poor SM hasn't even been missing a month, and he's already gotten the court to sign off on the sale of "their" property without her consent.

He's been a busy little beaver.

Priorities.

JMO.
Exactly! I don’t know why but this gets me more than almost anything so far. Putting myself in her place, no matter what happened to her, I would be just so offended if my husband went to court to be able to sell something of ours when I hadn’t even been missing a month! Who cares about finances or real estate or anything when I am MISSING.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

06/05/2020
Order Granting Temporary Guardianship
Judge CASATI,MICHAEL

Order Signed:
06/05/2020
06/05/2020
Letters of Guardianship Issued
Temporary Adult Guardianship

File Stamp:
06/05/2020
06/05/2020
Order Issued
Order Setting Videoconference Hearing entered. The Court schedules a hearing to be conducted as a Microsoft Teams Videoconference Hearing on Sept. 1, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. ew
Judicial Officer:
Casati, Michael A.
Noticed:
Hoeller, Mary Jane
Order Signed:
06/05/2020
09/01/2020
Hearing on Petition to Establish Guardianship
Session:
09/01/2020 10:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Casati, Michael A.
Comment:
345-MAC-permanent (by video, 30 minutes)

_______________________________________-

He's been granted temporary/emergency guardianship as of today's date.

That's good for 90 days, from what I've read.

He's also going for permanent guardianship.

I'm beyond horrified.

JMO.

Suzanne Morphew and her husband Barry Morphew held properties (more than one) in Indiana, where they were born and raised. In approximately late 2018, they moved to Colorado and purchased a house there. Their tax bills from Indiana were sent to Colorado.

Suzanne went missing on Mother's Day, while BM was out of town. LE said they did not suspect suicide, animal attack or abduction. They live in a remote area near a river, and Suzanne's bike was found near the river.

3-4 weeks later, Barry wants Guardianship of her so that he can do something. We all suspect it has to do with finances and property, although it's possible that BM's lawyer in Colorado (criminal lawyer) may want access to some of SM's financial records that may not be available to BM.

Suzanne had been unwell, having gone through two different kinds of cancer and recently pronounced recovered. Many of us here think that means the couple would have had durable PoA, but perhaps they did not. At any rate, there are two daughters, one is 16, the other is 20. We are all wondering why a Guardianship/Conservatorship is needed, as well as how it is possible for a spouse to get one when their partner has only been missing for 4 weeks.

It seems that some family member (probably the older daughter) has waived contesting the upcoming Guardianship hearing.

Thank you for coming to the thread, @gitana1 It just seems so strange that someone could gain control of a missing person's finances so quickly and so readily.
it's quite scary actually. IMO

Holy Crud.
Holy Crud.

SFA:
06/05/2020
Order Issued
Order Approving Sale of Real Estate entered. ew
Judicial Officer:
Casati, Michael A.
Noticed:
Hoeller, Mary Jane
Order Signed:
06/05/2020

Poor SM hasn't even been missing a month, and he's already gotten the court to sign off on the sale of "their" property.

He's been a busy little beaver.

Priorities.

JMO.
Wow not even a month. Sadly, he must have fallen out of love with her. He does not come across as a heartbroken husband. I suspect eventually a GF will surface as controlling as he appears to me he probably told her not to talk. JMO MOO

The order granting permission to sell the Indiana real estate has already been issued. The next hearing in this case is scheduled for September 1, 2020 @ 10:00 am.
That was fast! As in the time it takes one to make a cup of tea and log back on. My thoughts only - BM was able to establish an emergency and, I think this one is even more important, it was for the limited purpose of selling one piece of real estate. So maybe the posters that were talking about the IN house sale-lease-contract purchasers deciding that they wanted to get financing commercially were right. And the "emergency" was that BM needed to be able to effectuate the transfer. I thought that was a good theory. But boy.

ETA - to make complete sentences

ETA again - this thread is moving faster than an Indiana judge! I missed this. I might have been wrong - it might be for permanent guardianship! I can only hope that doesn't happen until at least 9/1 which looks to be the next hearing. I'm speechless.

Session:
Comment:

I'm beyond horrified.

JMO.

Last edited:

06/05/2020
Order Granting Temporary Guardianship
Judge CASATI,MICHAEL

Order Signed:
06/05/2020
06/05/2020
Letters of Guardianship Issued
Temporary Adult Guardianship

File Stamp:
06/05/2020
06/05/2020
Order Issued
Order Setting Videoconference Hearing entered. The Court schedules a hearing to be conducted as a Microsoft Teams Videoconference Hearing on Sept. 1, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. ew
Judicial Officer:
Casati, Michael A.
Noticed:
Hoeller, Mary Jane
Order Signed:
06/05/2020
09/01/2020
Session:
Comment:

I'm beyond horrified.

JMO.
I guess he believes that the mountain lion who kidnapped her has no plans to give her back.

That was fast! As in the time it takes one to make a cup of tea and log back on. My thoughts only - BM was able to establish an emergency and, I think this one is even more important, it was for the limited purpose of selling one piece of real estate. So maybe the posters that were talking about the IN house sale-lease-contract purchasers did decide that they wanted to get financing commercially and the "emergency" was that BM needed to be able to effectuate the transfer. I thought that was a good theory. But boy.
but we don't know if it was for a limited purpose- the Letters can give him access to everything - the petition was required to convey title. IMO. We don't have enough information but I think he can take those Letters and access what he needs if he is not on as a joint account holder. they aren't public so we don't know what we don't know. but we can guess....
IMO

Attachments

• AE30DBF2-53B1-4B7E-8BC8-09DBE72CE53A.jpeg
    AE30DBF2-53B1-4B7E-8BC8-09DBE72CE53A.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I am 15 pages behind but I have a few links that I would like t0 share. The first is an article about the "New Online Guardianship Registry" for Indiana that gives a little info on why the registry was created. The second is link comes from the article as well, it shows that the guardianship is active & gives you the start date & end date. It appears that the guardianship may be temporary since it expires in Sept. 2020. My apologies if this has already been linked or discussed.

Elder Law Prof Blog: Indiana's Online Guardianship Registry
courts.IN.gov: Adult Guardianship (guardianship landing page)
https://public.courts.in.gov/grp/Search/Detail/187708?Detail=True (guardianship registry for SM)

That was fast! As in the time it takes one to make a cup of tea and log back on. My thoughts only - BM was able to establish an emergency and, I think this one is even more important, it was for the limited purpose of selling one piece of real estate. So maybe the posters that were talking about the IN house sale-lease-contract purchasers deciding that they wanted to get financing commercially and the "emergency" was that BM needed to be able to effectuate the transfer. I thought that was a good theory. But boy.
If you had a real estate sale contract with a couple where one has gone missing and the spouse is possibly responsible. Would you worry a bit about being financially entangled?

I think you hit the nail on the head, the buyers likely initiated a change in financing.

Tremendously helpful information, thank you so much!

I'm reading the "Jurisdiction" section right now:
2011 Indiana Code :: TITLE 29. PROBATE :: ARTICLE 3.5. UNIFORM ADULT GUARDIANSHIP AND PROTECTIVE PROCEEDINGS JURISDICTION ACT :: CHAPTER 2. JURISDICTION

SABBM:
IC 29-3.5-2-3
Jurisdiction of Indiana courts; criteria
Sec. 3. A court of this state has jurisdiction to appoint a guardian or issue a protective order for a respondent if:
(1) this state is the respondent's home state;
(2) on the date the petition is filed, this state is a significant connection state and:
(A) the respondent does not have a home state or a court of the respondent's home state has declined to exercise jurisdiction because this state is a more appropriate forum; or
(B) the respondent has a home state, a petition for an appointment or order is not pending in a court of that state or another significant connection state, and, before the court makes the appointment or issues the order:
(i) a petition for an appointment or order is not filed in the respondent's home state;
(ii) an objection to the court's jurisdiction is not filed by a person required to be notified of the proceeding; and
(iii) the court in this state concludes that it is an appropriate forum under the factors set forth in section 6 of this chapter;

(3) this state does not have jurisdiction under either subdivision

(1) or (2), the respondent's home state and all significant connection states have declined to exercise jurisdiction because this state is the more appropriate forum, and jurisdiction in this state is consistent with the constitutions of this state and the United States; or
(4) the requirements for special jurisdiction under section 4 of this chapter are met.
As added by P.L.178-2011, SEC.10.

IC 29-3.5-2-4
Special jurisdiction
Sec. 4. (a) A court of this state lacking jurisdiction under section 3(1) through 3(3) of this chapter has special jurisdiction to do any of the following:
(1) Appoint a temporary guardian in an emergency as permitted by IC 29-3-3-4 for a term not exceeding ninety (90) days for a respondent who is physically present in this state.
(2) Issue a protective order with respect to real or tangible personal property located in this state.
(3) Appoint a guardian or conservator for an incapacitated or protected person for whom a provisional order to transfer the proceeding from another state has been issued under procedures similar to IC 29-3.5-3-1.
(b) If a petition for the appointment of a guardian in an emergency is brought in this state and this state was not the respondent's home state on the date the petition was filed, the court shall dismiss the proceeding at the request of the court of the home state whether dismissal is requested before or after the emergency appointment.
As added by P.L.178-2011, SEC.10.

The significant connection state is defined in the article code as:
(15) "Significant connection state" means a state, other than the home state, with which a respondent has a significant connection other than mere physical presence and in which substantial evidence concerning the respondent is available.

So, if I'm reading the jurisdiction criteria correctly, it looks like BM is filling in IN on the basis that it's a "significant connection state."

What's unclear is whether or not BM is asking for an emergency appointment, i.e., temporary for 90 days, or not.

If he's filed for an emergency appointment, what would trigger a court of the home state requesting dismissal of an emergency appointment?

JMO.

I believe that SM and BM were probably using Colorado as their state of residency for tax filings and tuition discounts, it would seem CO is their state of legal residence. So yes, it has to be "significant connection state."

I think LE would have to work through the DA's office to stop this distant proceeding. To do that, wouldn't they have to declare BM an official POI?

If Barry is arranging this on his own, by consulting a separate attorney in Indiana and not telling his attorney in CO, he's a loose cannon and is almost daring LE to fish or cut bait.

OTOH, if he is innocent/LE has no significant case against him, and the Court is not convinced of any type of malfeasance, would they not allow BM an emergency guardianship?

This is CRAZY! I was snooping on my Ancestry ... and found this when I was looking for SM’s mothers obituary. WTH! Has date of death May 7 and states she was cremated.

W T Ph!~

That's the craziest thing ever. How did that even happen? Ancestry is really rigid about using information about living persons, and if they have that on file (WHO filed it?) that means Suzanne's genealogical data is now public. The right to keep it private dies with the person, is the way I understand it.

Ancestry wants and specializes in death certificates as the source of this information.

Hoax? Who would do that?

This is CRAZY! I was snooping on my Ancestry ... and found this when I was looking for SM’s mothers obituary. WTH! Has date of death May 7 and states she was cremated.
Wow!!!
With today's speculation about complicity, it occurred to me that the lack of news conferences, press briefings, etc. could be because LE has reason to believe no homicide has been committed. What if SM's health took a turn and she was given a dreadful prognosis. What if, as a family, they decided, for money or whatever, to help SM go out on her own terms? The girls being gone, BM's sketchy "alibi" - it all fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member