MI - David Shelton, 27 years in prison, possible miscarriage of justice, Oakland County, 1993

InnocenceFirst

Verified - David Shelton's son
Reaction score
In 1993 David Shelton was picked up and charged for two rapes in Oakland County Michigan sentenced you 40-60 years even though DNA evidence did not match (hairs found in the bed and fingerprints found in the mask) neither lady could point him out of a lineup,and one of the women said the perpetrator could have been a white man she met at the pool he still was convicted by an all white jury for two separate cases. Story below is very detailed and is a summary of what happened and is going on now. He clearly has a strong case and should have been exonerated years ago

PLEASE READ STORY and then comment so everyone knows what is going on and can make accurate responses thank you.

EXPOSED!! RACIST FRAME-UP OF DAVID SHELTON BY OAKLAND COUNTY IN 1993 RAPE CASE

@InnocenceFirst, I'll Report your initial post & ask that a moderator add the location, date, and something about the poorly handled court case to the thread title.

Have you contacted The Innocence Project?

Innocence Project - Help us put an end to wrongful convictions!

Ok thank you.

And yes actually they just picked up his case again for the fourth time two weeks ago. They had him in 2004,2011,2015 but failed to bring him home each time,we’re hoping this time will be different because along with them the states CIU(conviction integrity unit) is also on my dads case

According to trial transcripts, the Assistant Prosecutor told the jury in his opening statement on the first day of Shelton’s trial July 11, 1994, “So we don’t have any scientific evidence and you’re not going to hear anything about scientific evidence — or DNA testing, or anything like that.”
40-60 years with no "scientific evidence" and a witness who said the perp may have been white. Wow.

This talks about there was no DNA evidence. But today's technology, they could possibly get DNA off the mask as they did just last week in a case.

Perhaps get a tv show interested in... there's a new one called the Genetic Detective with CeCe Moore from Parabon - and many others to highlight the case?

I just watched Justice Mercy documentary last night (free on most packages e.g. Comcast) covering Walter McMillian's case - An example that there are ways, but it's a very hard long road. Godspeed on your journey and will follow.

40-60 years with no "scientific evidence" and a witness who said the perp may have been white. Wow.
Yep crazy the scientific evidence they do have points to a man she possibly met before he story was twisted.

This talks about there was no DNA evidence. But today's technology, they could possibly get DNA off the mask as they did just last week in a case.

Perhaps get a tv show interested in... there's a new one called the Genetic Detective with CeCe Moore from Parabon - and many others to highlight the case?

I just watched Justice Mercy documentary last night (free on most packages e.g. Comcast) covering Walter McMillian's case - An example that there are ways, but it's a very hard long road. Godspeed on your journey and will follow.
But there was DNA evidence available they just chose not to show it. The DNA evidence that was available was a head hair in the mask and hairs in the bed that were tested and came back non negroid meaning this was not a black man,and the fingerprints found on the mask didn’t come back to him.

Now the innocence project has opened his case back up and said they want to find the mask to do additional testing due to his case being old and new forms of dna testing to find other samples if any,and that’s great but the problem is all the stuff in his case has been lost for years and all they can go by is his last DNA testing from 1993,that should not be his fault if they can’t find the mask. He’s already been exonerated

Do you know if there's enough DNA to test without destroying the whole sample? Since technology is quickly changing, the size of the sample needed is becoming less and less. Since you have worked with the innocence project, I'm sure they have probably asked to test the samples. What is the prosecutor saying about you doing a test in a private lab. However, I know that the prosecutor is probably holding that close to the vest. There was mention about the hair found in the cap that did not match your father? Do you know if the prosecutor turned over that information to the defense attorney during the original case? I know that some, not all,, usually don't like to hand over type of of information that they say will be of no use, But anything with any type of cell on it or could possibly have dna needs to be preserved. Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, But I feel so badly for your father being in prison for this when even one of the witnesses has some serious doubts.

Hey everyone,

A much overdue welcome here to InnocenceFirst.

As InnocenceFirst has stated they are David Shelton's son, we have invited them to to become a Verified Insider in this case.

We sincerely hope they will be back with us soon and quickly approved as a VI to further this very important discussion.

Admin hat off and my personal opinion on reading about this case so far is ...

What on God's green earth happened here as to the basic legal principles of burden or proof and beyond a reasonable doubt?

Especially to those of us familiar with the whole Skakel/Moxley debacle, playing out in rather the opposite direction...

JMHO YMMV LRR

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back