Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a RE agent in CA. We don't use atty's for our escrows. We use escrow companies and title companies that are agreed to by both parties in the purchase

I bought and sold a house in CA, although it's been nearly 20 yrs since I sold. I didn't have to hire an attorney but I remember there was an attorney fee that was part of my closing costs with the title, I think.

Anyway, regardless, this transaction has most likely (IMO) been pending for longer than the 27 days that SM's been missing, and assuming that's true, it was also her intent to sell this particular property in IN.

----> I'm not looking at anything else BM is doing or might be preparing to do, I'm only considering this one particular transaction.

I bought and sold a house in CA, although it's been nearly 20 yrs since I sold. I didn't have to hire an attorney but I remember there was an attorney fee that was part of my closing costs with the title, I think.

Anyway, regardless, this transaction has most likely (IMO) been pending for longer than the 27 days that SM's been missing, and assuming that's true, it was also her intent to sell this particular property in IN.

----> I'm not looking at anything else BM is doing or might be preparing to do, I'm only considering this one particular transaction.
hmmm. Never heard of it our here and I've been an agent longer than 20 years. Perhaps there was something unusual in your transaction.
eta
There could be transactions where there might need or advised to be an atty involved at some level I'm sure, depending on circumstances. I've just never dealt with it here.
Also (jtlyk) a lot of made up fees between escrow and title were going on in some transactions back then (20 or so years ago) and gouging the parties involved. :eek: Sorry to say.
Anyway, yes. Her intent was to sell this property and it will proceed. moo

Last edited:

I sold my home in Illinois to a couple who were illiterate. So they were required to have an attorney at the closing, who read every single word of every single document to them, then they had to verbalize understanding of each page.

You know how you have to sign an entire pile of documents at closing? Just imagine sitting there while every word was read aloud. The closing took like 3 1/2 hours.

hmmm. Never heard of it our here and I've been an agent longer than 20 years. Perhaps there was something unusual in your transaction.
Anyway, yes. Her intent was to sell this property and it will proceed. moo
I like how you worded that. I truly hope all transactions in the near future are/were "her intent".

SM/BM have 5 properties in their name. Someone said they had rentals? Only 2 properties have homes on them, the others are land. Which one was the cause of emergency guardianship? I think it’s the property they lived in prior to CO move because it’s the only one that taxes remain unpaid. The others are up to date.
I searched by their CO mailing address ... which brings up all 5 properties.
Hamilton Co., IN - Property Records

Attachments

• 5AA455C4-57F0-4899-80F6-A451DFE935BB.jpeg
    5AA455C4-57F0-4899-80F6-A451DFE935BB.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 87
SM/BM have 5 properties in their name. Someone said they had rentals? Only 2 properties have homes on them, the others are land. Which one was the cause of emergency guardianship? I think it’s the property they lived in prior to CO move because it’s the only one that taxes remain unpaid. The others are up to date.
Were they going to build on these properties? Had any permits been pulled? Construction loans taken out? Any partners?

Doubtful. Note that the tax bill for that property did not go to the Morphews in 2020. They are not the people who are delinquent in this year’s taxes. Click through to the 2020 statements to see.

Thanks for this.

I'm thinking the neighbour must have been given the keypad code when she went to check. Unless the gates were open.
I believe she is referring to their previous home property in Indiana that is gated, not CO property.
Is CO property gated??? Maybe that is why accident/death had to happen while on bike ride?

I sold my home in Illinois to a couple who were illiterate. So they were required to have an attorney at the closing, who read every single word of every single document to them, then they had to verbalize understanding of each page.

You know how you have to sign an entire pile of documents at closing? Just imagine sitting there while every word was read aloud. The closing took like 3 1/2 hours.

oh no! As an attorney and mom to an adult with an intellectual disability the process could have been so much more streamlined by providing accommodations prior to closing -like reading the documents to them and having them initial they read and understood- then have the buyers sign an affidavit of understanding at closing. But at least it wasn’t longer than 3.5 hours as our previous closings sometimes take much longer without the added time reading through.

Until I see the signed contract dated prior to may10 with her signature I’m remaining skeptical that this was “her intent” - I’ve asked crimeonline for clarification
JMO
I agree. The date of closing (today) makes it very possible the sales contract was signed before she went missing. But until we know that for sure, I’m not taking it as a given.

I am super interested to learn who the buyers are and if they are family members. Didn’t we find out the buyers were originally in a seller-financed loan w/the Morphews? And this sale may now be the buyers securing a traditional loan (which would pay off the Morphews cash for the property)? Could this type of transaction be sped up (since May 10)?

I can’t help feeling that this guardianship transaction is not as simple as completing a real estate sale already in progress for the sake of everyone’s benefit. It stinks. IMO

Re: the temporary guardianship-The docket has a date for permanent guardianship in September. Is that just a matter or course? If you apply for temporary does permanent automatically follow?
In my state if you really need guardianship fast you apply and if the Judge approves, get emergency letters with an expiration date- the letters include what you are allowed to do and in the meantime you work on the requirements for permanent guardianship - Training class, initial guardianship plan, inventory of the Wards’ assets, etc. and since there are no objections and venue does not seem to be an issue yet- he likely will get permanent Letters in September IMO
*i still don’t understand how a resident of CO has a guardianship in a state where it’s just property - waiting to see what happens

Re: the temporary guardianship-The docket has a date for permanent guardianship in September. Is that just a matter or course? If you apply for temporary does permanent automatically follow?

I think the Sept hearing date, under the umbrella of perm GUA, will be where BM provides evidence to the court that he did what he was granted permission to do. I trust that the court will confirm SM's ownership to any proceeds are protected, and that the permanent petition is withdrawn. And if not, I pray it's denied. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member