MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I imagining it or when the video first came out everyone was shocked and horrified. Pretty much everyone was on the same page, but has time has gone on more and more victim blaming and justification type sentiments seem to be creeping in?

People who were shocked and horrified still are. People with whom I argue on the social media about the case have not bothered to watch the video (or even if they did, their initial reaction was very different).

MOD NOTE:
Please keep the discussion on this thread specifically about the crime of murder committed against George Floyd. While the story of Minneapolis city council voting to “” the police department is related, that debate would be for another thread altogether as it would take the focus off the victim here to who this thread is dedicated. Posts that discuss the general topic of diverting funds away from police departments will be removed from this thread.

Thank you for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly.

CocoChanel

It's possible that all those people that were on the same page at first are much more concerned about the rioting/looting, watching their community burned to the ground. Businesses run by their friends and neighbors. Hundreds of thousands of dollars cost to rebuild. Their dreams flushed down the toilet.

Friends and neighbors beat with 2x4's protecting their stores. People murdered. Cops shot and killed, stabbed in the neck.

These four cops would have been arrested and charged. But the instigators couldn't wait.

Maybe they have less sympathy now because of all that. Maybe people actually did research and saw his felony criminal record. Who knows.

I'd say there's quite a few reasons why people are just not onboard anymore.

MOO.
With respect, none of the actions that occurred after Mr. Floyd's death are his fault or done by him. Yes, there are angry people reacting to the rioting and looting. The victim blaming that I am starting to see is the subtle justification of the killer's actions linked to Mr. Floyd's prior arrests and prison history. By all accounts, Mr. Floyd was not resisting when he was continually pinned underneath these three killers. There was no reason for force at that point even if Mr. Floyd had been a convicted killer. He was under their care and control. He was killed for whatever reason the former cop and killer had in his mind that day. IMO, there is no validity in equating his history with their actions. It is victim blaming at its finest. Trot out Mr. Floyd's past but ignore the allegations placed against the killer cop who was protected by unions and was never held to account for his behaviors.

Not being onboard based on actions of others seems to be a little suspect to me. Wrong is wrong. Criminal is criminal. The riots were not planned or executed by Mr. Floyd. He had nothing to do with them. By all accounts of the people who knew and loved Mr. Floyd, he had scrapes with the law, was turning his life around and was revered by his chosen communities. That is a loss for all and shouldn't be diminished.

All above is just MHO.

Yes, I read the article. Has anyone here read the "Prey" series of books by John Sandford? The main character is a police officer who works for the Minneapolis Police Department. It gives another perspective on "police brutality".

That being said, I would like to see what evidence will be presented that Chauvin is a racist. Believe me, I am not, in any way, shape or form defending the outrageous actions of Chauvin and his **** buddies. There is zero justification for his behavior. He killed a man, for no reason at all.

And based on his history of infractions, the ones that were even reported, he should have been out of there years ago. Supervision needs to be reviewed.

An individual doesn't need to be a specifically racist to be an actor in institutional racism. <modsnip>

Chauvin did not follow training nor was he moved to humanity by the cries of the handcuffed man beneath his knee.
He had no fear of consequences, the 18 complaints against him disappearing told him "we like what you are doing,"

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

It's incompetent for the police not to at least try to keep the peace. Like a cashier that keeps getting into fights with customers, each instance might be explained away. Chauvin had 18 complaints and that is likely the tip of the iceberg of the way he treated citizens. 9 out of 10 would not even complain if they were relatively unscathed, as getting into an ongoing situation with a specific police bully is not wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who were shocked and horrified still are. People with whom I argue on the social media about the case have not bothered to watch the video (or even if they did, their initial reaction was very different).
@Charlot123, you are a stronger person than me. I won't discuss this case with anyone who didn't watch the video. And I am referring to the full version. Anyone with even a shred of human decency will be moved.

A man terrified of being arrested, experiences an acute onset of respiratory distress as he was placed in the back seat of a squad car. Then another officer arrived at the scene and physically pulled the man out and onto the ground. With the assistance of 3 other officers, he proceeded to sadistically end his life without regard of the public eye, or the anguishing pleas of the bystanders.

At first I was in disbelief, then I cried, now I am outraged. The video is traumatizing!

This is all just my humble opinion.

@Charlot123, you are a stronger person than me. I won't discuss this case with anyone who didn't watch the video. And I am referring to the full version. Anyone with even a shred of human decency will be moved.

A man who is terrified of being arrested, experiences an acute onset of respiratory distress as he was placed in the back seat of a squad car. Then another officer arrives at the scene and physically pulls the man out and onto the ground. With the assistance of 3 other officers, he proceeds to sadistically end his life without regard of the public eye, or the anguishing pleas of the bystanders.

At first I was in disbelief, then I cried, now I am outraged. The video is traumatizing!

You cried, I got angry. My feeling always was “what the ...were they thinking?” (You step on the neck of a handcuffed person lying on this stomach - what do you think happens?)

I thought, if we saw a movie of a cop treating any animal this way, be it a dog or a cat, we’d all be angry, but because Floyd was a human, people’s opinions started to differ.

As to the persona of Floyd, surely, his story is complex, but his past is part of his criminal record. It is just that in the current situation, he is a victim.

A man terrified of being arrested, experiences an acute onset of respiratory distress as he was placed in the back seat of a squad car. Then another officer arrived at the scene and physically pulled the man out and onto the ground. With the assistance of 3 other officers, he proceeded to sadistically end his life without regard of the public eye, or the anguishing pleas of the bystanders.

Really well said, IMO one might think they understand the horror of what is described in the Video but it in no way compares to actually watching it.

You cried, I got angry. My feeling always was “what the ...were they thinking?” (You step on the neck of a handcuffed person lying on this stomach - what do you think happens?)

I thought, if we saw a movie of a cop treating any animal this way, be it a dog or a cat, we’d all be angry, but because Floyd was a human, people’s opinions started to differ.

As to the persona of Floyd, surely, his story is complex, but his past is part of his criminal record. It is just that in the current situation, he is a victim.
Strictly my own view point, any changes in my outrage after discovering his history and drug use, is a call to put my own sense of human decency in check.

I remain outraged that a police officer publicly and sadistically executed a citizen, without even breaking a sweat.

Strictly my own view point, any changes in my outrage after discovering his history and drug use, is a call to put my own sense of human decency in check.

I remain outraged that a police officer publicly and sadistically executed a citizen, without even breaking a sweat.
Yes, any past criminal record or history of drug use is not relevant to this case.

George Floyd was calm and cooperative when police first arrived. He did not resist being handcuffed, he thanked the officers when they sat him down. Even at that point there were signs that he was not well. None of this would have happened if the officers has just treated his condition as a medical emergency and called for help right away.

The fact that any suspect has a criminal history is not an excuse for police brutality. I haven't seen any evidence that he had a history of aggression or violence, either.

Every call should be treated the same way. Police shouldn't make assumptions based on a suspects past record. That alone is biased thinking.

Imo

I cried. I buried my face in my hands and just cried. And 99.9% of the time I do not cry over any cases. I think I have only actually cried over two cases at WS, this one and little Ethan Stacy.

I have been unable to bring myself to watch any part of the video.

Just reading or hearing someone repeat his last words makes me cry.

Chauvin:

06/08/2020 First Appearance (12:45 PM) (Judicial Officer Reding, Jeannice M.)
06/01/2020 Reset by Court to 06/01/2020
06/01/2020 Reset by Court to 06/01/2020
06/01/2020 Reset by Court to 06/08/2020
06/08/2020 Reset by Court to 06/08/2020
Result: Held On the Record

06/08/2020 Request for Disclosure Index # 8

06/08/2020 e-Service
State of Minnesota
Served 06/08/2020

06/08/2020 Waiver Index # 9
06/08/2020 Identity Verified
06/08/2020 Order for Conditional Release Index # 10 (Judicial Officer: Reding, Jeannice M. )
06/08/2020 Interim Condition for Chauvin, Derek Michael
- Follow all instructions of probation
- Conditions, other
- Contact with probation
- Do not leave Minnesota without written court approval
- Do not ship/transport/possess or receive firearm or ammo
- No contact with victim or family
- Remain law-abiding
- Make all future court appearances
- Sign Waiver of Extradition
- Post Bail or Bond with No Conditions
$1,250,000.00
- Post Bail or Bond with Conditions
$1,000,000.00

06/29/2020 Omnibus Hearing (1:30 PM) ()

link: http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1628106000

Does anyone know if they've followed up with the 2 people Floyd walked with into the store? As he was positive for COVID since early April, I wonder if they have it too or have been tested? I could only watch the video once. At that time, I wasn't aware of his positive COVID status, so I didn't notice if he was masked or not. It didn't play a part in his death, I realize. But it could play a part in theirs if they contracted it.

God, I hate the Daily Mail... Yellow press rag...

So in total we're talking about some speeding tickets (violation unknown, could be 5 miles over the limit, could be 50), an obstructing traffic violation, two parking meter violations, an incident when he was 18 (note the man is in is mid-late thirties now), where he plead guilty to obstructing legal process and damaging property, but details of the incident are unknown (he could've knocked over a trash can after leaving a pub while drunk, he could've burned down an entire shopping mall, who knows?) , and a rowdy party...

I'm sorry, but my reaction to this is...La-di-frickin-da! If the Daily Mail is trying to make him look like a hardened criminal, I'm not seeing it!

As a European, here's tip: NEVER EVER use the Daily Mail as a credible/ unbiased news source. It's the very bottom of the British yellow press, and that's up against some pretty stiff competition!
It's those 2 parking meter violations that are really troubling.

I'm glad they caught that and added them to his criminal history.

Let's not sugar coat the history of this cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle