MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another case gaining attention is out of Austin, Texas. His name is Javier Ambler.

Texas police chase ends in death. "I can't breathe," the man cries.

Javier Ambler was driving home from a friendly poker game in the early hours of March 28, 2019, when a Williamson County sheriff’s deputy noticed that he failed to dim the headlights of his SUV to oncoming traffic.

Twenty-eight minutes later, the black father of two sons lay dying on a north Austin street after deputies held him down and used Tasers on him four times while a crew from A&E’s reality show “Live PD” filmed.

____

Earlier this year in Tacoma, Washington, another African-American man, Manuel Ellis, also uttered the words "I can't breathe" shortly before dying from positional asphyxia during a police encounter.

I can't breathe - Wikipedia
Are there threads for these guys? If not please could you start them? Obviously we cannot comment about these in this thread I assume. Thx.

I'm Canadian, so not too sure about police union power in the US, but here's a link which discusses it.

Hopeful that Minneapolis policing will change? Meet the police union's chief ...

In my city, we have problems with police corruption (covering up for each others DUI's and other violations mostly involving off duty cops) more than police brutality, though there have been cases of that too. Unbelievably, police in my city are allowed to use their overtime (and they get tons of it) towards their pension. I think they're the only police department in N. America that gets that.

Thanks for that. There is an additional link in that article to this one below, which I am still taking in.

Anger as local police union chief calls George Floyd a 'violent criminal'

I wonder if they were able to retrieve Thao’s iPhone from his locker.
APPLICATION FOR SEARCH WARRANT:
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6934770/3rd-Precinct-Lockers-Search-Warrant.pdf
I guess you are ready to start workin the case :D

I don't recall the exact date the 3rd precinct was burned down or if this warrant was executed. 5 days after the incident is more than enough time to clean out a locker...

** This case involves honorable LE sworn to serve and protect, a depraved killer posing as a police officer, a questionable PD, and an unarmed and restrained suspect that was killed while in police custody. My LE background and sense of loyalty is challenged. And SleuthBee and Websleuths are both LE friendly. How do we do this within the terms of service?

Last edited:
Another case gaining attention is out of Austin, Texas. His name is Javier Ambler.

Texas police chase ends in death. "I can't breathe," the man cries.

Javier Ambler was driving home from a friendly poker game in the early hours of March 28, 2019, when a Williamson County sheriff’s deputy noticed that he failed to dim the headlights of his SUV to oncoming traffic.

Twenty-eight minutes later, the black father of two sons lay dying on a north Austin street after deputies held him down and used Tasers on him four times while a crew from A&E’s reality show “Live PD” filmed.

____

Earlier this year in Tacoma, Washington, another African-American man, Manuel Ellis, also uttered the words "I can't breathe" shortly before dying from positional asphyxia during a police encounter.

I can't breathe - Wikipedia
I know I am a little behind, but could we please get a thread for this man? Another totally senseless death. Thank you.

Joe Biden and Rev. Al Sharpton deliver remarks at George Floyd funeral:

George Floyd's funeral service is today and will feature a eulogy by the Rev. Al Sharpton and remarks by Former Vice President Joe Biden, Rep. Al Green of Texas, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, and Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner. I heard on CNN that Former President Barack Obama and Former President Bill Clinton will also have a part.

Watch live:

Last edited:
Are there threads for these guys? If not please could you start them? Obviously we cannot comment about these in this thread I assume. Thx.

I know I am a little behind, but could we please get a thread for this man? Another totally senseless death. Thank you.

I'll set them up in a few minutes and provide links here.

ETA:

TX - Javier Ambler, unarmed man killed in police custody, Austin, 28 Mar 2019

WA - Manuel Ellis, unarmed man killed in police custody, Tacoma, 3 Mar 2020

Last edited:
So the Mayor had banned it but the police and the unions were still ok with it? Anyone have any links?

The mayor banned "warrior style training", not the kneeling maneuver, specifically. "Last year, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey banned "warrior-style" training, which he said prioritizes officer safety over community safety." The police union, led by Kroll, opposed the policy and said they would "offer warrior training for free".
Most Minnesota law enforcement agencies ban the neck-pinning maneuver used against George Floyd — but it's still allowed in Minneapolis

As of 5/26/20, when the article below was published, the kneeling maneuver was still allowed. "In Minneapolis, kneeling on a suspect's neck is allowed under the department’s use-of-force policy for officers who have received training in how to compress a neck without applying direct pressure to the airway. It is considered a “non-deadly force option,” according to the department’s policy handbook."

Black man dies in Minneapolis police custody, four officers fired

Chauvin voted at his address in the extremely wealthy community of Windemere in Orange County Florida.
Not a stickler for laws.
He had to sign a voting registration document saying that he was a resident of Florida in order to vote, which warns on the signature line that it is a felony to attest to false information. Florida Criminal Code: Felony 3rd degree: 5 years and $5,000.
Notably, Florida was a swing state and Minnesota was not a swing state in 2016.

Chapter 104 - 2018 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

2016 election results: Florida

Neither of the above links indicate Chauvin voted in Florida. Does a link exist proving he claimed he was a resident of Florida and voted in Florida?

Chauvin voted at his address in the extremely wealthy community of Windemere in Orange County Florida.
Not a stickler for laws.
He had to sign a voting registration document saying that he was a resident of Florida in order to vote, which warns on the signature line that it is a felony to attest to false information. Florida Criminal Code: Felony 3rd degree: 5 years and $5,000.
Notably, Florida was a swing state and Minnesota was not a swing state in 2016.

Chapter 104 - 2018 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

2016 election results: Florida

Nvm, I found it,

Former Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin Voted In Florida In 2016, 2018

Hello,

When is the actual trial likely to take place? Months? Years?

The prosecuting side would be the Floyd family? Defendant would be the State of MN?

Would Ben Crump and team be the litigators or are they not litigators?

Thank you

The trial will probably be in a couple of years. imo

Mohamed Noor (Minneapolis police officer) killed Justine Damond in July 2017. Noor's trial started in April 2019. Then he was sentenced in early June 2019.

Last edited:
Thank you

So the State would incur the legal expenses for the case? I presume the Floyd's are responsible for their own travel expenses etc. to participate in the trial?

What is the legal responsibility of the individual(s) who took the video(s), are they legally obligated to serve as a witness?

A couple of years seems like a long time for the trial to begin!

Chauvin needs to be held accountable for every single law he broke. In whatever state he broke it. MN first, and then FL.

Lawyer says ex-Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin illegally voted in Florida, asks Aramis Ayala to pursue charges

“It’s a third-degree felony," he said. "I just hope that [Ayala] investigates it and then decides whether she wants to prosecute. Obviously, prosecution in Minnesota is important, but also if he’s violating laws in Florida, everybody should be held responsible for their actions.”

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>This site is for people to post their opinions so we have to be prepared for opinions not agreeing with our own. If two doctors don't agree on autopsy results however can we? It is clear Chauvin knelt on his neck till George Floyd died. Did that kill him or did he suffer a heart attack? I don't know.

Here is an article discussing the autopsies.

Medical examiner: Floyd's heart stopped while restrained
"For those who seek to understand, disagreements
are viewed as opportunities to learn."

Since I don't know everything, please feel free to disagree with me, knowing that I am always open to learn something from you.

I hold a high regard for Dr. Baden (and so does Dr. Cyril Wecht). I listened to his findings then carefully read the medical examiner's report. Although it may appear that they disagree, they are actually saying the same thing. IMOO

In my experience, doctors don't disagree as much as they differ in their interpretation of the medical findings. Their interpretations are based on their knowledge, experience, and effort to research current medical studies.

Asphyxiation causes cardiopulmonary arrest. Dr. Baden is world- renowned and confident in his abilities, so he can step out further and withstand objection or cross examination. He knows his stuff!

Dr. Mike Hansen is a highly regarded pulmonary/critical care physician who does a fabulous job explaining GF's autopsy report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow