MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
There must be something more. Some sort of messed up "Perfect Storm" that made Chauvin be such an idiot. He almost had his 20 years in. At that point, most officers just sort of coast until they are out. Letting junior officers get in the fray.

I wouldn't bet on Chauvin being alive in 6 months.

Question: If Chauvin was mistreating the black clientele, why on earth did owner Santamaria keep him employed there for 17 years? Or even one more day after the first time?

What she is certain of is how aggressive Officer Derek Chauvin became when the club hosted events that drew a mainly black clientele, responding to fights by taking out his mace and spraying the crowd, a tactic she told him was unjustified "overkill."

"He would mace everyone instead of apprehending the people who were fighting," said Maya Santamaria, former owner of El Nuevo Rodeo club in Minneapolis. "He would call backup. The next thing you would know, there would five or six squad cars."

George Floyd, fired officer Derek Chauvin worked at same Minneapolis nightclub

The building housing El Nuevo Rodeo restaurant and club (along with the only Spanish-speaking radio station in the entire metro area) burnt down around 2:30 Thursday morning during the riots.

Why would the community attack the club (and radio station, a "lifeline of the community") so viciously? That is more than arson. I note her words: "truly a feat".

La Raza Radio relaunches days after burning down

“We lost our music, we lost our programming, we lost our simian [broadcasting software],” Santamaria said. “So to pull this off is truly a feat.”

La Raza, which was established in 2005, can be heard at 95.7 FM, 1400 AM and 1470 AM frequencies throughout the metro area. It operated in the century-old International Order of Odd Fellows building on Lake Street and 27th Avenue South. Its programming includes a mix of news, entertainment, Latin music and culture, with the majority of it being local.

The building also housed El Nuevo Rodeo restaurant and club.

As Minneapolis’ only radio station broadcast completely in Spanish, La Raza in many ways serves as a lifeline to the city’s Latino community. Across the Twin Cities metro, Latinos makeup 180,000 of the population.

bbm

FWIW, I don’t think El Nuevo Rodeo was targeted. Almost every single business in that area including the 3rd precinct was burned, looted and destroyed. (Auto Zone, Oreilly’ Auto, Pawn Shop, Spirit Liquor, Target, etc....)

I think drugs and/or money plays a part. MOO
I think you're right.

Working as a security guard, especially part time, doesn't pay very much. Why would he want to do that since he had a full time job with the MPD? I don't think it was for the money.

The cost of a house in Windermere Fl.? YIKES! How could he afford a house there and in Minneapolis on a cops salary and a part time job working security?

I think you're right.

Working as a security guard, especially part time, doesn't pay very much. Why would he want to do that since he had a full time job with the MPD? I don't think it was for the money.

The cost of a house in Windermere Fl.? YIKES! How could he afford a house there and in Minneapolis on a cops salary and a part time job working security?

It seems likely to me that the security gig provided the perfect cover for lucrative criminal activity at the club. He worked how many nights a week? In his patrol car! And did his day job! He probably was raking it in at the club and making much more than he did with MPD. Otherwise, why do it? For 17 years. I still want to know why the owner kept him on if he was macing black customers. Apparently he treated Latinos fine.

The club had been sold two months previously and would have been closed for a couple of months anyway due to coronavirus. Both Chauvin and Mr Floyd would have been out of work at the club. How did Chauvin fill his evenings...printing money?

Last edited:
Question: If Chauvin was mistreating the black clientele, why on earth did owner Santamaria keep him employed there for 17 years? Or even one more day after the first time?

What she is certain of is how aggressive Officer Derek Chauvin became when the club hosted events that drew a mainly black clientele, responding to fights by taking out his mace and spraying the crowd, a tactic she told him was unjustified "overkill."

"He would mace everyone instead of apprehending the people who were fighting," said Maya Santamaria, former owner of El Nuevo Rodeo club in Minneapolis. "He would call backup. The next thing you would know, there would five or six squad cars."

George Floyd, fired officer Derek Chauvin worked at same Minneapolis nightclub

This history of his employment is really odd. 17 years, and the club opened when? In 2001 or 2002? So, very early into its history.

And in the beginning, his job was sitting in a patrol car outside, and only recently he was moved inside the club. Santamaria employed several such policemen. She is an educated, smart person, who also owns the radio in the same building, so I don’t think she would have trouble firing him after that mace incident. Yet he stayed.

This history of his employment is really odd. 17 years, and the club opened when? In 2001 or 2002? So, very early into its history.

And in the beginning, his job was sitting in a patrol car outside, and only recently he was moved inside the club. Santamaria employed several such policemen. She is an educated, smart person, who also owns the radio in the same building, so I don’t think she would have trouble firing him after that mace incident. Yet he stayed.

I didn’t realize he was recently moved inside the club. Early on she made a point of saying that Chauvin worked outside and Mr Floyd worked inside, so she wasn’t sure if they knew each other.

Quote:

Santamaria told ABC5 that she does not know if the two ever spoke, because Chauvin worked outside the club while security guards, like Floyd, worked inside, but did confirm both men worked at the establishment for the whole of 2019.

If the two men had crossed paths during their time at the nightclub, “it would probably not have been something they remembered,” Santamaria told The Star Tribune, partly because there were often several dozen people working security on popular music nights.

George Floyd And Derek Chauvin Worked At The Same Nightclub—But May Not Have Known Each Other, Owner Says

He had two jobs though for 17 years.

I didn't know that! My uncle was a police officer in the 60's and 70's and he always worked two jobs. I do remember he was always exhausted, but two jobs were necessary if you had a family to support as the pay for police officers in our city at the time was very low.

Dbm
I don’t “know” that Chauvin thought he could get away with killing Mr. Floyd, but he knew he was being filmed in front of witnesses and proceeded to kill him for over 9 minutes, a couple of those minutes after Mr Floyd was unresponsive. He didn’t seem bothered by being filmed in front of witnesses. So I’m theorizing that Chauvin didn’t expect there to be repercussions or that killing Mr Floyd was worth whatever consequences for Chauvin there might be.

Which brings me back to either Chauvin is a sadistic psychopath on a power trip or he had reason to silence Mr Floyd to avoid worse consequences. Either way, what needs to be investigated is why Chauvin was so bold. Perhaps getting away with 18 earlier complaints made him feel invincible. But I think the nightclub connection may hold a key to widespread corruption and should be looked at carefully. It happens.
JMO
It was burned to the ground.

This is interesting. Just reported by Fox 9 News in Minneapolis-St Paul MN....

Just four days after the death of George Floyd, and the day before former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin was arrested, federal and state prosecutors were negotiating a possible plea deal with Chauvin, the FOX 9 Investigators have learned.

Sources familiar with the scuttled negotiations say it would have been a “universal deal” that would have included state murder charges as well as federal civil rights charges.
<snip>

"There were early negotiations with the defendant (Derek Chauvin), between the Hennepin County Attorney's Office, and the U.S. Attorney,” said Hennepin County Attorney spokesperson Chuck Laszewski in a statement to the FOX 9 Investigators.

In a statement, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office confirmed the talks.

“Ultimately, those negotiations failed," Laszewski added.
<snip>

How and why the deal fell apart, what was the offer on the table, and who walked away, is still unclear.

Ex-Minneapolis police officer Chauvin was in talks to plead guilty before arrest

A crime is the reason police were called. A store employee went to GF to ask him to return the cigarettes (source is in the Wiki article I posted) but he refused so the employee called the police. This doesn't justify anything but gave the opportunity for Chauvin to do what he did. State sanctioned murder basically. MOO.

I'd like to know more about the previous work relationship between Chauvin and George Floyd. Would also like to know if the clerk knew George Floyd's name and gave it to the police when he called to report the incident. Perhaps this information is out there and I somehow missed it.

I'd like to know more about the previous work relationship between Chauvin and George Floyd. Would also like to know if the clerk knew George Floyd's name and gave it to the police when he called to report the incident. Perhaps this information is out there and I somehow missed it.
BBM

So far, all we know about their work relationship is that they “butted heads” because of how Chauvin treated customers. (link somewhere in thread) I think knowing more than this is a key to Chauvin’s actions.

George Floyd’s name wasn’t mentioned on the 911 call. Here’s the transcript. It didn’t sound like the clerk knew him. The caller gave such vague answers to the point that the operator sighed at one point.

George Floyd: Minneapolis police release 911 call that led to arrest - CNN

Dbm

It was burned to the ground.

Yes it was. That the building burned to the ground could mean everything or nothing. It could have been and likely was part of the general destruction. Or it could have been to destroy evidence. Or an accident. The radio station employees said it sounded like a bomb went off in the club/restaurant. Gas leak or deliberate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member