CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just sent an email to Mohave Daily News Editor, Bill McMillen- bmcmillen@mohavedailynews.com

I asked if MDN would consider writing a news story on Barbara's disappearance. The one year anniversary is approaching, we've yet to hear the 911 call, or receive any updates from SBCSO :(
Smart move! Did you get a response?

I just sent an email to Mohave Daily News Editor, Bill McMillen- bmcmillen@mohavedailynews.com

I asked if MDN would consider writing a news story on Barbara's disappearance. The one year anniversary is approaching, we've yet to hear the 911 call, or receive any updates from SBCSO :(
Thanks, @Knox !!

I haven't forgotten Barbara.
But life goes on for some.

Wonder if someone will disagree with any article being written ???
;)
Imo.

Eta : I still want to hear that 911 call.
I feel there's something significant in it.

Last edited:
She may not have stayed in that small area. Beyond that small area is practically unlimited desert.

She was likely hot and dehydrated, so it's unlikely she got a really long way - but certainly could have gotten beyond the search area in any direction.

I’ve driven in this area twice in the past six months. The brush and shrub aren’t tall but I guess it might be hard to find a body. It just seems odd that Barbara would suddenly pass out and not be responsive to her husband calling out. MOO but I don’t think she was ever there.

JMO...I took this to mean “someone,” i.e. a POI, objecting to the article being written in the first place, not a reaction to an article itself.
Maybe. ^^^

Speculation only : I had the feeling from the start that someone was wondering why anyone would question the story being touted.
Like B. M. saying "Let me tell you what happened."
Imo.

Smart move! Did you get a response?
I did not get response from Mohave Daily News-Bill McMillen- bmcmillen@mohavedailynews.com. Maybe if others emailed they would consider writing a story :(

I did get a response from Zach News - "Hello, I will definitely consider that. Very sad that a year later, no more information or arrest. Thanks for the suggestion and will keep you updated if any new details come up".

Zach's original story for reference.
News Update!!: Essex, CA: Missing hiker Barbara Thomas still not found 4 months later.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Nicholas Clark, Specialized Investigations Division: 1 (909) 387-3589.

I wonder if Detective Clark is still handling the investigation? Was the SBCSO PIO Jody Miller, Anyone remember?

ETA- Looks like the PIO is Cindy Bachman. Her email is cbachman@sbcsd.org if anyone would like to contact her for a case update.

Last edited:
There are no POIs as far as I am aware.
I suppose it was a sly dig at the husband then.
Thank you Cherwell. Yes, for heavens sake, let's not start throwing stones at the elderly husband.
Barb will be found....it's just a matter of time. Look how long it took to find Paul Miller

Amateur opinion and speculation

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Nicholas Clark, Specialized Investigations Division: 1 (909) 387-3589.

I wonder if Detective Clark is still handling the investigation? Was the SBCSO PIO Jody Miller, Anyone remember?

ETA- Looks like the PIO is Cindy Bachman. Her email is cbachman@sbcsd.org if anyone would like to contact her for a case update.
bbm
That's good news. ^^^

Thank you for sharing these updates, Knox.

No one has been throwing stones, just stating facts.
Barbara's husband is not feeble nor is he frail, elderly and completely helpless -- but capable and able to drive a truck towing a fifth wheel which can be a challenge for some who are younger.
It's been a year and doubtful much has changed, outside of his living arrangements if he has moved away or moved on.

Everyone in this thread has been sad for whatever befell Barbara that day and no one has blamed anyone in the slightest.

The fact that the investigation is ongoing reveals that LE still have questions that aren't being answered ; which is concerning to some.
So all is well, and everyone's comments are appreciated. :)

Not mentioning names... but a friend's SIL managed to get their fifth wheel and double-wide pickup truck stuck into a ditch twice on their first trip to a relatives' home.
And he's 28.
Maybe a little more practice beforehand would've been helpful.
And no, I didn't say that out loud to them. :rolleyes:

But it's so good to see renewed life on Barbara's thread.

And that the investigation is ongoing !
Really do not want to see her case unsolved and justice for Barbara if need be.
Imo.

Last edited:

Actually, I think it was Jodi Miller but will have to check the media thread.
Again, very good news to see that the investigation is ongoing.
LE would know by now if this will fall into the criminal category.

They've been tight-lipped but we the public don't need to know yet.

Barbara's nephew is a verified insider here and may have more information.
Imo.

If nothing else, we could ask for the 911 call to be released under the foia; since it's been nearly a year now.

There has to be some pertinent information embedded in that call.
MOO

I did not get response from Mohave Daily News-Bill McMillen- bmcmillen@mohavedailynews.com. Maybe if others emailed they would consider writing a story :(

I did get a response from Zach News - "Hello, I will definitely consider that. Very sad that a year later, no more information or arrest. Thanks for the suggestion and will keep you updated if any new details come up".

Zach's original story for reference.
News Update!!: Essex, CA: Missing hiker Barbara Thomas still not found 4 months later.
bbm
lavender bolded : A good idea and maybe if enough people contact them, they may write a new article with more information about what happened that day ?

There are so many questions that have never been answered that should have been so simple to answer.
  • What type of hiking boots ? B/c anyone walking in the desert and finding one or more boots/shoes are not going to know if they belonged to Barbara as someone didn't describe them.

• Did Barbara have a Yeti or other type of drink container or a bottle/can of beer ?
(the only reason for asking this at all is that the husband said in his interview that "...I don't know, maybe someone took her, because she was wearing a bikini and carrying a can of beer..." -paraphrased )

• Since the path in the sand was at a level (thanks to photos from sroad and others who took pics there) with the RV/fifth wheel, and the surrounding area featured Cholla cactus, what happened to make Barbara veer off the path and become lost ? ( the second possibility given by the husband was that she became disoriented and lost in the heat. )

• In the earlier threads, the distance from where the dog was dropped off and the walking destination put them at 10-10:30 am ; with the 911 call coming in at 3:27-ish pm. What happened in between that time ?

• Was the fifth wheel looked inside and checked for --at worst-- signs of a struggle; or -- at best-- that they'd eaten some lunch in there ?

• What did the 911 caller say ; that Barbara was taken or abducted and taken to Vegas, or that she turned a corner and was lost ? (Yes, Imo that's an important distinction!)

• Were any other reasons for Barbara being gone given in the 911 call ?

• Many more questions that can be asked in an email.

green bolded : Sounds like the media have questions as well and the mention of an arrest is interesting.
They (media) think this was possibly more than a case of wandering off and getting lost.
Barbara was no stranger to the desert and this was a short walk they were on, not an arduous cliff-scaling hike.

Imo.

Last edited:
She may not have stayed in that small area. Beyond that small area is practically unlimited desert.

She was likely hot and dehydrated, so it's unlikely she got a really long way - but certainly could have gotten beyond the search area in any direction.
Personally, as I have posted many times in this thread, I believe she did wander in a unexpected direction and succumbed to the temperature. Having lurked in many threads for lost people I am continually humbled by how difficult it seems to be to locate living/breathing people who are moving around and even more so people are deceased. All one need do is look at how many examples there are of lost children, searched for by hundreds of professionals day and night, found a day or so later less than a mile from their homes. You could literally see the lost person from where they got lost from. Barbara could be inside the search area or just beyond it. She could even by some miracle have walked well beyond the search area. She might even have hitched a ride and gotten out just down the road.

People in the final moments of coherence sometimes don't act in their long-term best interest, they are responding to short term urgency. To escape the heat they might hide themselves under a rock, bury themselves under brush, hide under a bush, or in a crevice, thinking they just need to rest a bit before they get going again. People who are lost are often certain they can solve this on their own and they keeping walking and walking until an injury or their demise stops them (look back at Amanda Eller). They overestimate their abilities, their intelligence, and their experience. She may have in fact made herself more difficult to find, she may have hidden herself on purpose.

There are a hundred scenarios where she gets lost and hasn't been found yet. It only takes one mistake.

In terms of her husband, he showed LE something that made them search for almost 2 weeks for her at that location. We don't know what it was, perhaps his photos corroborate it, perhaps his phone. LE has had a year to pick apart his version of events and his electronic trail.

Kudos to all of you who keep the case alive and those of you who have actually gone out and searched.

PS- I went geocaching with my daughter this weekend and we searched for one cache for almost an hour (and we had the exact coordinates), We searched a 50sq foot area for an hour. Imagine if we tried to find that thing and all we knew was it might be within 10sq miles.

I’ve driven in this area twice in the past six months. The brush and shrub aren’t tall but I guess it might be hard to find a body. It just seems odd that Barbara would suddenly pass out and not be responsive to her husband calling out. MOO but I don’t think she was ever there.
It defies logic to think Barbara was walking back to the trailer and simply vanished. If she had a medical emergency, she would have been found in the area by S&R.

Short of being swallowed up in a desert sinkhole or being abducted from the roadside. What could have happened to her?

Here's a news clip to refresh our recall Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect

Daily Mail, has been scooping US reporters in several cases lately. Maybe someone there would request the release of the 911 call and revive the interest in Barbara's case. Here's the email address - newsUS@dailymail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong