Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that cannot understand how important a mask is, must be dense: it is common sense- it is a barrier, plain and simple: if someone sneezes, the droplets are contained to a great degree, so they don't spray all over. It is so simple.
It sounds so simple - just wear a mask.
Why are people fighting such a simple request - to save so many lives.
Isn’t this important too?
JMO

I have read various opinions about mask wearing- one is you look weak by wearing one, mostly the males feel this way. Another is you are "frightened" and
"scared" like a little bunny rabbit..I constantly see the "if you are scared then wear your mask" "if you want to hide out for the rest of your life.." etc...shaming others. I have also seen the finger pointed that if you are wearing a mask you ARE automatically SCARED and they aren't.

I also believe that vanity plays a huge part in it...especially if you are of a certain age- looking at you young adults...they don't want to cover up their beautiful faces, they need to be "attractive" to the opposite sex. I am sure if they are insecure, wearing a mask makes them feel even more insecure regarding how they might appear to others.

Coronavirus: One death and eight new cases confirmed in Ireland

HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE confirmed that one more patient has died as a result of Covid-19 in Ireland.

The Department of Health also said that eight new cases of the disease have been confirmed here.

A total of 1,706 people have now died from Covid-19 in Ireland and there has been a total of 25,303 cases here.

Data from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre as of midnight on Friday, when there were 25,295 cases, shows that the median age of confirmed cases is 48 years.

Of these cases, 3,279 required hospital treatment and 416 of those cases were trated in intensive care units.

Health officials said that 8,130 of cases up to midnight on Friday were associated with healthcare workers.

I have read various opinions about mask wearing- one is you look weak by wearing one, mostly the males feel this way. Another is you are "frightened" and
"scared" like a little bunny rabbit..I constantly see the "if you are scared then wear your mask" "if you want to hide out for the rest of your life.." etc...shaming others. I have also seen the finger pointed that if you are wearing a mask you ARE automatically SCARED and they aren't.

I also believe that vanity plays a huge part in it...especially if you are of a certain age- looking at you young adults...they don't want to cover up their beautiful faces, they need to be "attractive" to the opposite sex. I am sure if they are insecure, wearing a mask makes them feel even more insecure regarding how they might appear to others.

I also believe that vanity plays a huge part in it...especially if you are of a certain age- looking at you young adults...they don't want to cover up their beautiful faces, they need to be "attractive" to the opposite sex. I am sure if they are insecure, wearing a mask makes them feel even more insecure regarding how they might appear to others.[/QUOTE

Still wearing a mask here outside NYC. Definitely more people out and about judging by traffic heading towards and from the local greenhouse or winery. Everyone in stores wearing masks with the 6' spacing for checkout marked on the floor and arrows directing flow of people through the aisles. I'm a bit OCD about staying safe considering I have multiple risk factors.

I actually understand if you are really young, like in your late teens and maybe 20's. Looking good is really important----- but when people in their 40's and up start making excuses, like it makes a person look scared or weak: i have no patience for that at all.
People in their 40s, even 30s are getting the virus and dying from it --- I honestly feel like a lot of people do not understand what a pandemic really is: i think they tend to underestimate the concept of human to human transmission and how powerful this virus is.

Anyone that cannot understand how important a mask is, must be dense: it is common sense- it is a barrier, plain and simple: if someone sneezes, the droplets are contained to a great degree, so they don't spray all over. It is so simple.
I was in front of a DR in scrubs at aldi today- no mask and he was ignoring the spots for 6 feet apart in the line - about half were wearing masks at both grocery stores today - I’m glad Costco requires the mask

Idle musings to get back on threads.

Was able to order 3M half face mask and filters finally from Amazon. Been on watch list for a couple months. Still no regular 3M dust masks so those projects are on indefinite hold.

On another subject I've noticed my usual near 200 Mbps internet speed is consistently now 165 Mbps regardless of time of day. No home network changes so I attribute it to heavy internet use.

I've given up the use of cash. Depending on amount I either use my ATM debit or Credit Card for all transactions. Take a clorox disinfectant wipe with me and wipe down cards after use. The few times I've used cash it involved no change or told the clerk to keep change.

It is evident that there are some of us here who DO care about this virus and are still committed to being a part of helping stop the spread. I do take some comfort in that, so thank you. At least we can convene here together with like minds and share our frustrations, and feel like we are not alone with our concerns about others not taking it seriously.

Only 45 COVID deaths in San Francisco. A highly populated, dense city.

But there they have masking rules that everyone takes seriously, practice social distancing, high testing numbers and contact tracing.

Fortunately, his Medicare and Medicare Advantage insurance will pay for most of the bill. He may end up not owing anything. We need universal health coverage so that no one forgoes needed health care for lack of insurance or funds to pay, or suffers financial disaster due to inability to pay hospital or other health care bills.

My DH was hospitalized years ago with a staph infection that left his aortic valve badly damaged, which then led to surgery to replace the valve. He was on a ventilator for 3 1/2 weeks. He had wonderful HMO-type health insurance through his employer at the time and we never saw an itemized bill like that. We paid only $150 as a copay!

I was in front of a DR in scrubs at aldi today- no mask and he was ignoring the spots for 6 feet apart in the line - about half were wearing masks at both grocery stores today - I’m glad Costco requires the mask

I’m surprised an actual doctor could be that dense. Are you sure he was a doctor and not a tech of some sort?

Half of deaths have been in care homes and this has been repeated over and over by each country that has experienced it. They were all in "lockdown" yet they caught it. No country seems to have learned anything from that.

But they are in lockdown in a group of many people. That's a different situation than being in lockdown with your family of 4 or 5 people.

You would be surprised - I still get the rolled eyes and “you’re one of those” look when I explain the protocol for aides/techs/nurses that come to the house regarding masks.
Two of my good friends are nurses in a hot spot and have been to the hair salon twice since they reopened.

You can tell the ones on the zoom calls that have been to the salon - like these comments:
“Wow, you did a great job with your at home hair color!”
“What did you use for your root coverup?”
“You don’t remember what the product was that you used? That’s too bad, it’s as good as what your hair salon did before!”

Of course these are the ones “who haven’t been ANYWHERE”.
More eye rolling.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member