Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right back at you , (( HUGS))

I literally cannot watch cable news any longer. My husband is glued to it. So, I told him two hours from 5 to 7, then, he is done.

I could blissfully spend the Summer as I used to when I was a child, we had a cabin in the mountains, no TV, no radio, no internet connection Back then. We just hiked, fished, read books, collected plant samples. Napped.

Sad to say, the cabin was sold years ago. Miss those days.

Article in yesterday's Chronicle of Higher Education on student athletes at Ohio State required to sign a pledge acknowledging the risks of COVID-19, etc.

We will be seeing more of this for other student populations as well, not only student athletes. Universities across the country are working on liability waivers and behavioral statements that students will have to sign before classes begin.

Article has a paywall, so posted below. (June 2016, Chronicle of Higher Education)

"Ohio State University athletes were required to sign a pledge acknowledging the risks of COVID-19 and agreeing to take certain precautions to protect their own health and others’ before returning to campus for voluntary workouts starting on June 8, the Columbus Dispatch reported.

The pledge, which was published on Twitter, states that the athlete understands “despite all reasonable efforts by the university I can still contract COVID-19” and that while the university is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and health experts to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, “I can never be completely shielded from all risk of illness caused by COVID-19 and other infections.” Ohio State athletes, and their parents if they are under 18 years old, must sign the pledge to use campus facilities and participate in activities, the Dispatch reported.

Athletes also agreed to be tested for COVID-19 and self-quarantine if positive or if exposed to someone else with the virus, report any symptoms to athletics staff, participate “fully and honestly” in contract tracing, physically distance themselves from others, and wear a mask while in public places, according to the pledge. Athletic director Gene Smith told ESPN the pledge was intended to educate athletes on the risks of playing sports, and the university doesn’t refer to it as a legal document.

“We're hammering our kids on that concept,” Smith said. “Social distancing is the biggest challenge we've been having. They're kids. They want to be close to one another.”

Indiana University has a similar pledge for its athletes, and some of its language is identical to the Ohio State agreement, ESPN reported."

Caught up now. Too many posts to thank. I was losing hair as well during meno. It is alarming but it does settle. For me and I am sure for all of you dealing with this. I don't think stress helps and we are living a stressful time.

This sentence jumped out at me in your excellent post @10ofRods. I am 74. This is my life. I am officially a shut-in, only going out when it’s unavoidable. I have been out of our apartment three times since I decided it was best to stay at home: March 13 (finishing up second round of stay-at-home shopping), May 18 (long overdue injections for pain) and June 16 (lab tests at the hospital in preparation for telehealth doctor appointment next week). No haircut since March 10 except for me trimming the parts in front I can reach. Pretty soon I’ll have a gray mullet! :eek:

I would love to go to our two favorite restaurants and sit outside, but I’m not going to risk it because I don’t trust or expect that others will be as careful as I am. I wouldn’t feel as afraid to go out if everyone was wearing masks and social distancing. But it’s a minority. The bars are full, despite state regulations.

Many people in my area in Southern Oregon commenting on news stories about coronavirus have the attitude “If you’re afraid of it just stay home. I’m going to live my life.” “The Governor can’t deny my rights.” “She’s a Nazi.” “It’s just glorified flu.” “The people dying have died from their other conditions.” “The fake news is trying to create panic.” “The only reason cases are increasing is because testing is increasing”...where have I heard that before? And on and on. The willful and and stubborn ignorance and selfishness is mind-blowing! Meanwhile a Church further north held a crowded service and have been slammed with cases, while our congregation does everything on zoom and stays healthy. One can make sacrifices for the sake of others, you know...Golden Rule and all that.

So yes, I’m a shut-in, and except for his walks, so is my 75 year old husband. We’ll get used to the expectation that it will be long-term. We have to. We choose to live and not infect others.

Bless you, for your sacrifice.
It is appreciated.
It hurts my heart to know that you will be shut in.
I'm trying to view the isolation as my homebody existence.
But for me, my age allows me to see that the covid will pass.

My 15 yr old son has a doctor's appointment today and while I'm sure they have implemented significant safety measures, I'm still nervous about going. We are to text them when we arrive and they will text us when we can enter the building through a rear door. Of course we will wear masks.

He has a lump on his neck that needs to be looked at in person or I would have opted for a virtual appointment. I am praying this is nothing serious and just a swollen lymph node, but it has been there for a few months (I just noticed it last week when he turned his head a certain way, but he has said it has been there for months...gee, thanks, son, for telling me! :rolleyes:). Even if it is a lymph node, something has to be causing it to be swollen, and the fact that it has been there so long is concerning also. Maybe it is a lipoma, and from my absolutely-no-medical-background-whatsoever I think that would mean it is harmless.

The thought of going into a dr's office has me very anxious, but I feel like this needs to be looked at.

I had a sebaceous cyst for years in the middle of my chest. When it grew to golf ball size I had it removed. Was told it could come back, which it did. Had it excised again never to return.

My 15 yr old son has a doctor's appointment today and while I'm sure they have implemented significant safety measures, I'm still nervous about going. We are to text them when we arrive and they will text us when we can enter the building through a rear door. Of course we will wear masks.

He has a lump on his neck that needs to be looked at in person or I would have opted for a virtual appointment. I am praying this is nothing serious and just a swollen lymph node, but it has been there for a few months (I just noticed it last week when he turned his head a certain way, but he has said it has been there for months...gee, thanks, son, for telling me! :rolleyes:). Even if it is a lymph node, something has to be causing it to be swollen, and the fact that it has been there so long is concerning also. Maybe it is a lipoma, and from my absolutely-no-medical-background-whatsoever I think that would mean it is harmless.

The thought of going into a dr's office has me very anxious, but I feel like this needs to be looked at.
Best of luck and I hope he is okay.

our restrictions have lifted a little and we're allowed a social circle of 10
our family has way more than that so no family gatherings yet
but we did go to see my Mom today and tried to social distance sitting outside in chairs 6 ft. from each other
brought her some hand sanitizer and potato salad
but I totally forgot to wear a mask!!!
so annoyed with myself

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-19-cases-june-17-1.5615476

Ontario reports 190 new COVID-19 cases, Ford government extends emergency order

"In a new report, Sickkids says it is critical to "balance the risk of direct infection and transmission" for children with the harms of school closure on their physical and mental health."

Ontario study shows virus striking growing number of young people

"The key takeaway from the study .... keep schools and daycare centers closed."

I literally cannot watch cable news any longer. My husband is glued to it. So, I told him two hours from 5 to 7, then, he is done.

I could blissfully spend the Summer as I used to when I was a child, we had a cabin in the mountains, no TV, no radio, no internet connection Back then. We just hiked, fished, read books, collected plant samples. Napped.

I watch a lot of Animal Planet, Investigative ID and court shows--- very little cable news: for one thing, they all the same thing over and over and over and over- can't stand it.

Me too! I will wait until the tests available are proven as far as poss too.

I must have had a fortunate life in terms of health overall. OK, it's not the best now as I have controlled bp, cholesterol and low vit D - losing weight, getting more active, absolutely needed!

But it has occurred to me that it's the first illness I've had which could have turned very nasty, or worse. Realistically speaking. That has been quite a sobering thought.

ETA thanks for the advice. I hit post by accident

Ah, HKP, you dear.
Eat right and just get better every day!

it sounds like heaven , I miss those kind of summers too !! I need a 12 step from the news!

I agree- i have asthma and i cannot use those kind of sprays-- they would cause me to have a bad asthma attack---- I use alcohol to disinfect- no stinky sprays like Lysol- I can't use things like furniture polish- nothing that smells strong--- if i smelled Lysol in the bathroom i would have to run out of there as quickly as possible!!
Never thought of that happening. I spray lysol like there is no tomorrow (I managed to get my hands on some from amazon prime). I don't have any reaction to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆