GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a guy shot here who waved a hammer at officers, no charges against them. I feel this is way out of hand. GF was obviously a better case scenario...and I do agree with the BLM, but this is not a good case scenario. As a parent I can't honestly feel much empathy against a child abuser. MOO IMO. Honestly, I if he had touched my child prison would be the least of his worries.

I'm reading on several law enforcement FB pages that several evening shifts of APD have walked off the job and radio calls are going unanswered. Looking for MSM sources...

who could blame them? They know they won’t be protected, and it’s literally on the table as punishment to kill one of the officers who was just doing his job. Some of them actually know all these parties. They probably know the GBI had zero say by now, as well.

Felony murder plus ten other charges for Rolfe.
Of course we will have to wait and see because it hasn't gone to trial yet, however...
IMO, it's going to be hard to prove felony murder. That means it was pre meditated and the cop intended to not stop the threat, but to actually kill him, and thought about killing him in advance.
Although the time one would have to take to pre plan this only has to be seconds, I don't think from the time he drew his weapon til he fired was more than a second.
I think the state is going to have a tough time proving that.
I also think that's the reason he was charged with so many things. the DA wanted to pile on many charges hoping to get a plea deal, and in this case, keep the thugs from rioting in the mean time.

The DA said the officer admitted to it. The DA also said several things that Officer Brosnan’s attorney said is not accurate. Officer Brosnan’s attorney also said that the officer had been tased, hit his head, and was limping. That doesn’t seem in line with what the DA describes.

11 charges, including murder, for officer who shot Rayshard Brooks; 2nd officer also charged

The attorneys statements seem to match the video timeline. Rolfe's attorney listing code for laws Brooks committed, with the State Code for Law Enforcement seems he was justified.

GBI issuing a statement they have not completed the investigation and were not notified nor consulted about the charges is very powerful.

All my opinion....

No, I can't provide an opposing view. I believe the officer was justified The police officer was fired without an investigation and is awaiting the DA's decision to prosecute or not prosecute and what the charges will be. It's been all over the news and social media.
The NY Times sequenced video shows one young man saying RB did nothing wrong and the police were just harrassing RB for no reason. While the young man in the video didn't use the wor
I am concerned, many LE friends and family.

I'm more scared to leave my house than ever.
Moo.
I am concerned too Simply Southern not only for you, your family, and friends but this country as well. Where is this country headed ? I saw on news that protesters were out at a rotary in Roxbury, MA today and also a group supporting the police.

Have to disagree with you there. Brosnan can clearly be heard saying , “let go of the taser”, during the struggle. He had more than ample time to communicate that his gun was taken, if it was and it was not, besides its very difficult nowadays to grab a holstered gun from a uniformed officer.
By chance, are you a defense attorney?

Have to disagree with you there. Brosnan can clearly be heard saying , “let go of the taser”, during the struggle. He had more than ample time to communicate that his gun was taken, if it was and it was not, besides its very difficult nowadays to grab a holstered gun from a uniformed officer.
I agree, but when he was saying "let go of the tazer" Brooks didn't have possession of it. How many seconds passed before Brooks had possession and was up pointing it at the cop? Was that enough time to communicate that?

Watching the video showing the shooting. The move Rolfe makes - to me -looks like he is moving Brooks legs over to where he is laying flat on the ground versus crumbled over ? No way Brooks fell to the ground with his legs straight out like that. I find it hard to believe that even the most brutal police officer would kick someone like that with a vehicle right next to them not knowing if the person in the vehicle was carrying.

I will repeat once again that a police taser is a deadly weapon. IDGAF. I'm wagering a wild guess his autopsy shows up a tad more than just alcohol as .1 is not high enough to pass out IMO...I had a .23 in my wild days.
BBM- according to the DA you are correct. Two weeks ago he charged 2 officers with using a lethal weapon against 2 college students. The lethal weapon was a police taser.

With the recent events, I feel that we are being forced to gloss over the fact that in the majority of cases it is not the cops, but the people they stop, who can prevent situations such as this from turning into a tragedy.

jmo
I totally agree with you @Tippy Lynn
If the people, criminals, etc would just comply and not resist or aim weapons (regardless what kind of weapon) at LE, or try to run, this kind of situation would not end up like this.
However, they all seem to want to resist, run, point weapons and then the families scream "lawsuit", fire LE for doing their jobs, and then in this case, they, OMG--burned down the establishment where the drunk person was passed out in the parking lot at ????
Like it is Wendy's restaurant fault he passed out there ?????
TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS AND OWN IT.
It's nobody's fault but your own.. Grrrrrr

I think that was a twist of words the DA used to make everyone think he has both feet on the guys shoulders.
What I saw, was one foot on his shoulder, and his other on the ground, and if you look at the photo, all his weight in on the leg that's on the ground.

My thoughts/OO, Brooks needed restraint until assessed he was no longer a threat. Brooks could have been slightly injured, ran again, or grab a gun.

who could blame them? They know they won’t be protected, and it’s literally on the table as punishment to kill one of the officers who was just doing his job. Some of them actually know all these parties. They probably know the GBI had zero say by now, as well.
If Qualified Immunity goes away, good luck with anyone wanting to become a cop where they can be sued personally for something and lose everything they have worked for.
The only way around that would be to have liability insurance and at what cost? Who pays that? The taxpayer? The cop?

It's the DA's job to show how the cops violated the law, and to paint the victim as just that. The victim.
That's why it's unfair to hold court of public opinion.
In a court trial, the DA will have to submit Brady Discovery, pre trial, turning over any exculpatory evidence that may exonerate a defendant.

Exactly. The DA tried this case in the court of public opinion without the rules of Law.
Moo

Someone upthread asked, Why didn't the officer just allow him to call someone to take him home, as he'd named several people in the area.

1) Since he had all of those contacts, why didn't HE call one of them and not drive intoxicated from the start?

2) In most states the threshold for a DUI has been .08 BAC for decades now. If they allow him to call for a ride, how is that equality? If we want equality, that must include equal application of the law.

Additionally, if they allow him to call for a ride, one or both officers must stay there to insure that he doesn't drive off. Then they'll need to make sure he gets safely into the vehicle of whoever is giving them a ride. Budgets are stretched thin everywhere. Who's going to pay additional taxes for the extra police that this would require?

3) Selectively arresting for DUI leaves LE, departments, and municipalities open to lawsuits for discrimination.

4) DUI is one of the most cut and dried offenses for which one can be arrested. A breathalyzer is completely objective. It doesn't see color. With other offenses, the evidence can be subjective, but not this one.

5) Black lives do matter, as do ALL lives. And so do choices.

6) If we're going toward a restorative justice model, I'm all for it. However, many, many laws have to be changed. That officer was doing his duty. He was lawfully performing the duties that legally he was obligated to carry out. With cruiser and body cams that turn on automatically, an officer can't just give someone a pass when they become aware of illegal activity. They have to follow the stop to a conclusion, either no infraction or infraction and move onto the next step. The only area that I'm aware of where there is leeway is by being able to give a warning for speeding. Maybe they could legalize nationwide a possible one time warning for DUI. However, MADD has fought for decades for the current laws. And I'm pretty sure that MADD his comprised of every race, creed, and color, because death by a drunk driver is no respecter of anyone.

7) Justice reform must include better community relations (they aren't the bad guy), teaching kids first at home and at school that offers can be trusted and should be respected, and teaching people what to do when they're stopped by police.

8) The concept among some communities that all cops are bad and that black cops are sellouts...this just has to go.

AMOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members