Ohio Bill Would Make Abortion Illegal Without Paternal Consent

csds703

Former Member
Reaction score
Abortion law would give fathers a say State legislators propose change; opponents blast bill as 'extreme'

Email To A Friend
Printer Friendly
Comments
Mike Hixenbaugh
July 30, 2007

By Mike Hixenbaugh
Record-Courier staff writer
Several Ohio state representatives who normally take an anti-abortion stance are now pushing pro-choice legislation - sort of.
Led by Rep. John Adams, a group of state legislators have submitted a bill that would give fathers of unborn children a final say in whether or not an abortion can take place.
It's a measure that, supporters say, would finally give fathers a choice.
"This is important because there are always two parents and fathers should have a say in the birth or the destruction of that child," said Adams, a Republican from Sidney. "I didn't bring it up to draw attention to myself or to be controversial. In most cases, when a child is born the father has financial responsibility for that child, so he should have a say."
As written, the bill would ban women from seeking an abortion without written consent from the father of the fetus. In cases where the identity of the father is unknown, women would be required to submit a list of possible fathers. The physician would be forced to conduct a paternity test from the provided list and then seek paternal permission to abort.
Claiming to not know the father's identity is not a viable excuse, according to the proposed legislation. Simply put: no father means no abortion.
"I'm really pleased that this has been proposed for one reason - it draws attention to the fact that many men are concerned and care for their unborn children," said Denise Mackura, the director of the Ohio Right to Life Society. "You have no idea how many men call telling me about their girlfriends who plan to abort, asking what they can do to help her. They do want to help and they should have a voice."
With the proposal, men would be guaranteed that voice under penalty of law. First time violators would by tried for abortion fraud, a first degree misdemeanor. The same would be the case for men who falsely claim to be fathers and for medical workers who knowingly perform an abortion without paternal consent.
In addition, women would be required to present a police report in order to prove a pregnancy is the result of rape or incest.
As is the case whenever abortion is the topic, sharp opposition has come from members of the House, along with multiple activist groups. The National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Activist League and the Ohio Right to Life Society have both spoken out against the legislation.
"This extreme bill shows just how far some of our state legislators are willing to go to rally a far-right base that is frustrated with the pro-choice gains made in the last election," said NARAL Pro-choice Ohio executive director Kellie Copeland. "It is completely out of touch with Ohio's mainstream values. This measure is a clear attack on a woman's freedom and privacy."

http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/2327981

I think this makes perfect sense. Some fathers may actually want to give these babies a loving home or see that they are adopted out.
It takes 2 to make a baby it should take 2 to decide something of this magnitude.

I think fathers should have a voice.

I think this makes perfect sense. Some fathers may actually want to give these babies a loving home or see that they are adopted out.
It takes 2 to make a baby it should take 2 to decide something of this magnitude.

I would maybe agree IF the father was then going to take custody- dont agree if the "father" says no to an abortion, but only wants the child placed up for adoption

I would maybe agree IF the father was then going to take custody- dont agree if the "father" says no to an abortion, but only wants the child placed up for adoption
What if being adopted out would give the child a chance at a better life?

Wow, you kind of surprised me with your view especailly since you feel that adoption should be his choice.I think it would be mean to force a woman to endure nine months of preganancy then labor only to adopt the child out against her wishes. Not all woamn can handle that emotionally.I can only assume that you do not agree with abortion at all which is fine, but I still have the viewpoint of my body my choice.
And to make it a crime to have an abortion is over the top in my opinion.

This is a horrible bill! It is a women's choice.

I am opposed to this law. Women choose abortion for varied reasons and some involve how the 'father' has treated her.

The paternity testing could stall a womans right to choose under Roe v. Wade beyond the point that abortion is legal as well.

and what happens in the case of rape?

We are ages away from men having contraception other than a condom or vasectomy....and with surveys the majority of men said they would NOT take some type of "pill".

I wonder if this will pass, I would guess not......

OT- an unmarried woman can marry a man other than the biological father and legally that man becomes the legal father, because the child was born in wedlock. Gestation in many states is not considered....... so no, I don't think this will fly.

Not that it's right, and not that I agree with abortion, when so many childless couples would love to adopt...... but a womans choice is just that, a womans choice. Though, if the woman was married, I believe her husband should have a say.

Single never married mom to one son, abstinence has been my bc of choice since.....

I am anti abortion so I'll stay out of this one.
:blowkiss:

Me too, I just posted and changed my mind. Im antiabortion too with strong views on it so I better keep my mouth shut :silenced:

I think most of us are anti abortion, but I still feel we should have the right to make that choice individually. :blowkiss:

I agree, life is always better than being killed before you have had a chance. The father ( of course except molestation or rapes) should also be given a chance to put his opinions into it, just because its carried by her doesnt mean its not his also.
I am pro life all the way.

and what happens in the case of rape?

We are ages away from men having contraception other than a condom or vasectomy....and with surveys the majority of men said they would NOT take some type of "pill".

I wonder if this will pass, I would guess not......

OT- an unmarried woman can marry a man other than the biological father and legally that man becomes the legal father, because the child was born in wedlock. Gestation in many states is not considered....... so no, I don't think this will fly.

Not that it's right, and not that I agree with abortion, when so many childless couples would love to adopt...... but a womans choice is just that, a womans choice. Though, if the woman was married, I believe her husband should have a say.

Single never married mom to one son, abstinence has been my bc of choice since.....

In the case of rape there had to be a police report.

This really bothered me because what if the woman didn't report the rape only to find herself pregnant. Now she would be forced to carry the child of her rapist.

I would never have an abortion.....but that is MY choice. It is all about CHOICE! If another woman sees fit to have an abortion, then I say she has that right.

I think most of us are anti abortion, but I still feel we should have the right to make that choice individually. :blowkiss:
I am pro-life csds , but I understand how emotional this subject can be so I will step out. I respect everyone else's opinion.

Wonder if this thread will go poof like the earlier thread we had going today.

I am pro-life csds , but I understand how emotional this subject can be so I will step out. I respect everyone else's opinion.
I respect your opinion as well.

Wonder if this thread will go poof like the earlier thread we had going today.

It can be an interesting debate as long as people can respect each others views.
Oh and don't mention religion.:D

This is really about whether the father should have a say in what a woman does with her body.

It can be an interesting debate as long as people can respect each others views.
Oh and don't mention religion.:D
Politics, religion, abortion and racism......boy all those topics get things hot really really fast!:eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back