Found Deceased PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon WSers. Just found this thread and caught up. The FBI being asked to come in throws this in a different direction doesn’t it?

I just do not at all think this is a case of voluntarily missing - pure gut check on that, nothing based in fact. I’d like to know this:

what I’m trying to ask is wouldn’t anyone have found it odd they didn’t see Linda at the family home between church services and youth group?
Praying for Linda’s safe return home

Seems like Linda has numerous siblings, and some or all may still live at home. So the house is probably a busy place with family members coming and going. Amish parents are typically relaxed about their children’s whereabouts when they are school aged and especially as teenagers. Most homeplaces have at least a barn, if not additional outbuildings, and the Amish often sit outdoors in nice weather when they are relaxing. So it isn’t odd to me that it took them a while to realize that no one had seen Linda since church.

Amish children finish formal schooling at 14 and then begin a full-time job or apprenticeship. There aren’t many helicopter parents among the Amish.

Any time I hear references to the corn crops being high, I'm reminded of the Sierra Joughin case.
Such a sad outcome in that one.
For those unfamiliar with SJ's case, her WS thread can be found here:
Found Deceased - OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #1 *Arrest*

Hopefully, nothing even remotely similar has happened to LS.

For any locals here on the thread familiar with that area, is the route between the farm where she was last seen entirely in what would be considered "Amish country," or is the community more of a mixed one, i.e., both Amish and "English" farms/properties?

Last edited:
The addition of the FBI certainly makes me feel that this is going in a direction I was worried it was going to.

while I hoped for the runaway angle, I never got that feeling...mainly since like the others posted, the Amish handle many things on their own. There was a reason 911 was called...& an even bigger reason the FBI is now getting involved. I’m still hopeful the FBI is there for their resources & to help out a small town, but I’m worried for this girl.

Seems like Linda has numerous siblings, and some or all may still live at home. So the house is probably a busy place with family members coming and going. Amish parents are typically relaxed about their children’s whereabouts when they are school aged and especially as teenagers. Most homeplaces have at least a barn, if not additional outbuildings, and the Amish often sit outdoors in nice weather when they are relaxing. So it isn’t odd to me that it took them a while to realize that no one had seen Linda since church.

Amish children finish formal schooling at 14 and then begin a full-time job or apprenticeship. There aren’t many helicopter parents among the Amish.

I have read she has 8 brothers/sisters.

Last edited:
uoEeDhY

I saw they just posted this updated, clearer photo of Linda.

Attachments

• 3396A6D6-CE94-4C45-9E53-0202335A69BA.jpeg
    3396A6D6-CE94-4C45-9E53-0202335A69BA.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 130
I have read she has 8 brothers/sisters. & I don’t know if it is her “job”, but I have seen that she is a tutor for special needs children at an Amish school.
That’s interesting about being a tutor. Do you know where you saw that? I’m trying to read all I can, but our local paper has a paywall and we’re too cheap lol

For any locals here on the thread familiar with that area, is the route between the farm where she was last seen entirely in what would be considered "Amish country," or is the community more of a mixed one, i.e., both Amish and "English" farms/properties?

The area would be considered "Amish Country" to tourists, because it is filled with predominately Old Order Amish farms, but there are non-Amish who reside there too. I am not sure which home had church services the week she went missing, but Stumptown Road is not far from Beechdale Road. Very walkable. As an example of the population, from Stumptown, there is an Amish farm and they rent out a house on their property. Then the first farm on Beechdale is owned by non-Amish farmers. Then the next farm is Amish, and they have a rental home on their property and a large stone mill. Then across the street, the home is owned by non-Amish folks. Then the next home is Amish. So you get the idea, the homes surrounding the Amish farms are mixed with non-Amish owners and / or tenants.

I saw this in today's paper:
"We're making a plea to Linda that if this was a case where she left on her own, that she's not in trouble and to call (the police station) to verify that she's OK," public information officer Lt. Matthew Hess said.
East Lampeter police make 'plea to Linda' for contact, say no signs of foul play [update]

The area would be considered "Amish Country" to tourists, because it is filled with predominately Old Order Amish farms, but there are non-Amish who reside there too. I am not sure which home had church services the week she went missing, but Stumptown Road is not far from Beechdale Road. Very walkable. As an example of the population, from Stumptown, there is an Amish farm and they rent out a house on their property. Then the first farm on Beechdale is owned by non-Amish farmers. Then the next farm is Amish, and they have a rental home on their property and a large stone mill. Then across the street, the home is owned by non-Amish folks. Then the next home is Amish. So you get the idea, the homes surrounding the Amish farms are mixed with non-Amish owners and / or tenants.

"We're making a plea to Linda that if this was a case where she left on her own, that she's not in trouble and to call (the police station) to verify that she's OK," public information officer Lt. Matthew Hess said.
East Lampeter police make 'plea to Linda' for contact, say no signs of foul play [update]
Thank you @Jillian2020 for giving us some insight into the area Linda is from.
I so hope that she left willingly not something nefarious. Please let someone know if you are okay. Many folks are praying for you.

BBM:

I actually take hope from this statement by LE appealing directly to LS.
This puts voluntarily missing back in the mix of possible scenarios in my mind.

Coupled with the fact that they've said they have seen no signs of foul play, I'm actually more hopeful that she made the decision to take off, for whatever reason.

If she left voluntarily, she may be reluctant/unwilling to contact her family.
I think LE was really smart to encourage LS to call the police station if she left of her own volition vs. encouraging her to get in touch with friends/family.

JMO.

Last edited:
Depends what the crop is, but the tall crops like corn, not very high yet the saying is Knee high by the fourth of July and its about on target for that where I am which is about 20-30 mins from Lancaster. So it's probably mid calf at the moment. HOWEVER with hormones, etc. it varies.
I noticed in between 700 Beechdale Road (intersection of Stumptown Road) and 500 Beechdale Road the houses are really close to the road and there appears to be alot of open land without many crop fields. IMO-if Linda was hit by a car or fell and injured herself it would be easier to find her even if she was hit and possibly landed a ways away. I wish we knew the location of the house she attended church at on Stumptown road. IIRC and IMO- I read somewhere that it was close by on Stumptown road. Also, wish we knew if she acutally made it to Beechdale Road. There is water along that road that does concern me.خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Depends what the crop is, but the tall crops like corn, not very high yet the saying is Knee high by the fourth of July and its about on target for that where I am which is about 20-30 mins from Lancaster. So it's probably mid calf at the moment. HOWEVER with hormones, etc. it varies.

There are absolutely no hormones involved in growing corn. There are genetically modified versions of corn, otherwise known as GMOs. The “knee high” saying is old, and does not reference the quicker growing varieties that are now used to get more use out of fields through crop rotation.

Soybeans should be about mid calf on an average sized person. Hay could be as much as waist high, although most farmers should have gotten a cutting in already, so the fields that have been made will be shorter. Corn can be anywhere from knee to shoulder high depending on variety.

Crews continue search for missing East Lampeter Twp. 18-year-old who didn't return from church on Sunday

SABBM:

Police are "still attempting to figure out what may have happened," East Lampeter Township police public information officer Lt. Matthew Hess said. Foul play has yet to be ruled out.

All together, Lt. Eachus said there have been well over 1,500 man hours put into the search.

Re: Water searches.

It has been noted that it was hot that day.

Does anyone know if most Amish are taught/know how to swim?

JMO.

Trying to answer some questions that have been asked. Many younger Amish teens go swimming at the local Township pool, so some may know how to swim very well.

There were also searches about 3 miles away yesterday. They were searching sheds and backyards of a residential neighborhood. Nothing suspicious, just trying to make sure they check everywhere they can think to look.

There were pictures posted on social media yesterday of Linda’s aunts. There were four in the pictures, very strong family resemblance, and one had obviously not remained Amish as she was dressed in English clothes with her hair styled in English fashion.

Makes me wonder how close Linda is with this aunt.

I noticed in between 700 Beechdale Road (intersection of Stumptown Road) and 500 Beechdale Road the houses are really close to the road and there appears to be alot of open land without many crop fields. IMO-if Linda was hit by a car or fell and injured herself it would be easier to find her even if she was hit and possibly landed a ways away. I wish we knew the location of the house she attended church at on Stumptown road. IIRC and IMO- I read somewhere that it was close by on Stumptown road. Also, wish we knew if she acutally made it to Beechdale Road. There is water along that road that does concern me.خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Some of the first farms located on Beechdale are potato and chicken farms, so yes, they are not filled with corn. Beechdale Road doesn't have a lot of corn fields. There are Amish woodworking shops, Amish door shops, and contractors, etc. Stumptown Road, however, has a lot of corn fields.

The creek surrounding the homes is fairly shallow, except for when there are extended periods of rain.

There would be absolutely no reason for her to hide or not tell her parents she was going somewhere she is at the age where it is encouraged for her to explore the English world and make sure she wants to be baptized Amish. She would not be judged for that, it's a long running Amish tradition, and over 90% of the kids chose to be baptized Amish after their Rumspringa time ends.
The Amish also do not come to authorities until after they exhausted all of their resources, so raising the alarm the next day is VERY quick. They can't check her social media, they can't GPS track a phone, there is no quick way to make a post on Facebook and have everyone she knows seeing it. They quite literally have to travel around/call and hope someone answers and it passes around that way. After they confirmed she wasn't at an event or with someone authorities would have been contacted.
Voluntarily missing in my opinion has about a .00001% chance of being the reason. I wish I could say more but rumors are not allowed here for a VERY good reason.

Several reasons for an unannounced disappearance come to my mind, with cases of similar nature setting precedent...

Some of those long-standing Amish traditions aren't as pure. Timid, shy, reserved, quiet, also adjectives that describe victims.
Investigation Into Child Sex Abuse In Amish Communities

Amish teenage girls, are still teenage girls. But, I suppose I was in the minority who felt Maddie Bell had gone voluntarily.

Not being privy to many of the details, the church gathering, her demeanor, witnesses to her leaving, prior situations/conflicts, aforementioned possibility of suitors past or present, I'm going to keep an open mind.

I

There is a large estate on Beechdale Rd, on the west side of the road going north out of Bird-In-Hand. It has an unusual barn with a center courtyard, and had been up for sale a few years ago. It sits back off the road a good ways.

Mill Creek runs behind it and it has a large pond on it.

There is a large estate on Beechdale Rd, on the west side of the road going north out of Bird-In-Hand. It has an unusual barn with a center courtyard, and had been up for sale a few years ago. It sits back off the road a good ways.

Mill Creek runs behind it and it has a large pond on it.
I haven’t driven over that way in a while, but I saw an odd pond on a satellite map—maybe that’s the one you’re describing. It looked like a large pond was connected to a smaller one with a bridge maybe? Is that right? I looked at the water in the area when I saw today’s EMS mention of a boat and divers being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288