Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom arrested* #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know the bones and tissue were found in the excavated area. It certainly is possible they were burned in the pit and then buried at the site where they were found. Although we know the fire pit was examined, I know of no evidence or indication that any remains were found therein.
From experience, Chad would have had to have had a lot of tree branches to make a fire hot enough and long enough to consume the body. Where's he getting all those "limbs"? There aren't a whole lot of trees in that lot.
The other thing I meant to comment earlier, there was evidently a canine hit on a northern corner of that lot, near the fence. The searchers did follow up—even LIDAR and probing— and couldn't find anything, except stirred up soil. They didn't pursue that site.
What do you think this spot was? Raccoon grave? Accessories?
Right at the moment, I can't put my finger on the post that has the dog searches on Chad's property....

This. I will keep saying it until I am proven wrong. Nothing with Chad's visions is coincidence. His "visions" exist to 1) explain his decisions, 2) influence someone else to obey him, or 3) explain something that's about to happen that he has orchestrated. His car accident "vision" still seems very specific and he seemed troubled when it didn't come to pass... which makes me believe he put something in motion that didn't pan out. He clumsily messed with her brakes or tried to get an accomplice to run her off the road, or some other scheme that didn't go as planned. Poisoning her wasn't his first choice, it was his last resort.
When I hear about his "visions", if he is a visionary, soothsayer, psychic or whatever he wants to call himself, why didn't he get a vision about himself and LV sitting in jail? If he is greedy for money, Vegas isn't that far away so why couldn't he have just gone there, have a "vision" or two, and pick some numbers instead of killing people?
It pisses me off when I hear about him as some sort of special being. Visions..... yeah, right.

Hi, I have a newbie question about the admin advisory earlier. I'm sure one of you long-timers can splain. Or a mod can delete my post and splain, either way. I get why it's not OK to sleuth folks beyond discussing what's in MSM. But I didn't follow the thing about DW earlier. DW's name is actually spelled out in several MSM articles. As long as I stick to what's in MSM, why is it not OK to actually use his name? Thanks for your patience with this newbie question.

We use initials because pretty much everything online is searchable. So, there's no reason to drag an innocent person into a criminal case forever.

Here's a dreamed up example. Well, kinda dreamed up, some will recognize the story.

Suppose you have a mass murder and there is a 6 month old baby left alive. This baby ends up getting adopted. Grows up and learns his real name by mistake. Searches internet and up Pops his name with stories of being found with his grandmother, covered in her blood. Massive shocker. But if initials were used, his name wouldn't be searchable.

It protects the innocent.

Jmo

We use initials because pretty much everything online is searchable. So, there's no reason to drag an innocent person into a criminal case forever.

Here's a dreamed up example. Well, kinda dreamed up, some will recognize the story.

Suppose you have a mass murder and there is a 6 month old baby left alive. This baby ends up getting adopted. Grows up and learns his real name by mistake. Searches internet and up Pops his name with stories of being found with his grandmother, covered in her blood. Massive shocker. But if initials were used, his name wouldn't be searchable.

Jmo

Yes, recognize! Horrible case as well! I agree with the use of only initials!

Makes me wonder if CV ever did get ahold of TD ? He mentioned it, so I wonder if he did.
Here's the fake email CV found on his computer in May 2019 referencing the Nov. 2018 visit by CD, MG, others. Recall that MG told Keith Morrison that Charles was OUT OF TOWN during this visit, but the fake email - supposedly from CV - says he was there.

I think this was written by Lori impersonating Charles as a way of soothing Tammy's suspicions about a future visit. Chad could show her the email and say, "I'm planning on staying with Charles again, just like I did in November. Very innocent, he'll be there, don't worry about me being alone with Lori." Letter attached and here.

Attachments

• DOC_VALLOW-LETTER.jpg
    DOC_VALLOW-LETTER.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 56

Jmo

Totally reasonable, I had sussed that part more or less on my own. I just wasn't clear on when it is OK to use names, which apparently is only for an identified POI, Suspect, or Victim. Not people who happen to be mentioned by name in MSM but are none of the above. Also makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, @CSIDreamer !

If any of the other things we've heard alleged about the night of her death are actually true, then looking peaceful seems pretty unlikely.
"“My dear wife Tammy passed away in her sleep early Saturday, October 19. When I awoke at around 6 a.m., it was clear she had been gone for several hours,” he wrote. “It came as a shock. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t been awakened somehow, but all indications are that her spirit simply slipped away during the night. Her face looked serene, with her eyes closed and a slight smile. It was devastating to discover her that way, but I’m so grateful that her death was peaceful.” Link here...

Here's the two photos side-by-side. I had a hard time finding a high-resolution copy of Photo A, and I arranged the detail below so that the horizon was level on both.

Some observations:

Photo A feels like a simple snapshot of Tylee & JJ, while Photo B has more of an eye for photographic composition (the horizon & subjects roughly follow the Rule of Thirds)

You can tell from the horizon and where the pine trees are in relation to AxC's head in the detail (and the fact that we can't see that path behind AxC & TR in Photo A) that the two photos were not taken from the same position. Photo A was taken somewhere slightly to the left and possibly lower than Photo B.

It's possible that the photographer simply took a step over before taking Photo B, but there may be something to the speculation that Photo B was taken with a different camera (phone?) than Photo A. Photo A seems to have a warmer tone than B (you can particularly notice in in the clouds and in the rocks behind them), and the shadows -- particularly in AxC's shirt -- are darker/"muddier" than in Photo A (lower exposure)

Most people shoot w their phone cameras on automatic settings, but IMO, it doesn't seem like the lighting conditions would have changed enough between Photo A and Photo B to account for those differences.

MOO!

To me, it looks like Photo A was taken b a shorter person because Tylee's head eclipses much of the background.

Which of the Yellowstone basins was this taken at?

Last edited:
We know the bones and tissue were found in the excavated area. It certainly is possible they were burned in the pit and then buried at the site where they were found. Although we know the fire pit was examined, I know of no evidence or indication that any remains were found therein.

ok, I assumed (and you know what they say about assuming! HaHa), that he built the fire he described to Tammy in the fire pit. No evidence. My only question is there any evidence of fire in and around the soil of Tylee’s grave.

Last edited:
"“My dear wife Tammy passed away in her sleep early Saturday, October 19. When I awoke at around 6 a.m., it was clear she had been gone for several hours,” he wrote. “It came as a shock. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t been awakened somehow, but all indications are that her spirit simply slipped away during the night. Her face looked serene, with her eyes closed and a slight smile. It was devastating to discover her that way, but I’m so grateful that her death was peaceful.” Link here...

Yeah, that's not how you look when you fall out of bed and die. I feel pretty confident about this, even without having much experience with it :)

ok, I assumed (and you know what they say about assuming! HaHa), that he built the fire he described to Tammy in the fire pit. No evidence. My only question would be if there was evidence of fire in and around the soil of Tylee’s grave.
This. He burned Tylee in the fire pit and then moved her? I've been wondering about this.... Otherwise, he'd have to have a fire not in the fire pit, which might look extremely suspicious to a passersby. Unless he had a whole bonfire worth of stuff to burn. But where's it all coming from?

WARNING

ok, I assumed (and you know what they say about assuming! HaHa), that he built the fire he described to Tammy in the fire pit. No evidence. My only question would be if there was evidence of fire in and around the soil of Tylee’s grave.

Should we assume if it was burned in the pit and moved that there would be no evidence for them to find there? Any indication that it was indeed burned in the same place/hole it was buried? That we can tell as of now?

What really bothers me about this is everything, but especially his wording. Being a "writer", I take the order of his words to mean something. If I was to write this letter I'd most likely say "....her spirit simply slipped away in the night. It was devastating to find her this way, but her face looked serene....". The way I read it is CD was devastated to find her looking serene and with a smile on her face. MOO

Sadly, the last communication I had with Alex was mid to late August. I reached out to him, but he did not respond. My heart and mind are numb. The sadness of events have left me beyond heart sick and depressed.

I truly feel that Alex did NOT commit the heinous murders of these beautiful young children - he did so many things to protect them - like tasing Joe Ryan. I believe Lori told him what she knew would put him in protection mode to accomplish her evil deeds. Once the children were dead (crying as I type this), he did what needed to be done to protect his sister. He had so much misplaced love and devotion to Lori who manipulated him to do her evil bidding, May God rest Alex's tortured soul, grant eternal peace to Tylee and JJ, bring healing and comfort to those affected by this tragedy (Kay, Larry, Colby, etc...) It is my prayer that His full vengence be released on Lori and Chad. Suffer the children to come unto Me was never taken so horrendously literally as in this case.
Oh Jankee, my heart breaks for you. Thank you for sharing how difficult this struggle has been, as that took courage and I honor your honesty and compassion for everyone involved. ((((hugs)))) I am sending warm beams of healing light to you and those who are have also been negatively affected in so many ways. Take care of your heart and give yourself grace. You were a good friend to Alex and he knew you reached out.

To me, it looks like Photo A was taken b a shorter person because Tylee's head eclipses much of the background.
Here's the two photos side-by-side. I had a hard time finding a high-resolution copy of Photo A, and I arranged the detail below so that the horizon was level on both.

Some observations:

Photo A feels like a simple snapshot of Tylee & JJ, while Photo B has more of an eye for photographic composition (the horizon & subjects roughly follow the Rule of Thirds)

You can tell from the horizon and where the pine trees are in relation to AxC's head in the detail (and the fact that we can't see that path behind AxC & TR in Photo A) that the two photos were not taken from the same position. Photo A was taken somewhere slightly to the left and possibly lower than Photo B.

It's possible that the photographer simply took a step over before taking Photo B, but there may be something to the speculation that Photo B was taken with a different camera (phone?) than Photo A. Photo A seems to have a warmer tone than B (you can particularly notice in in the clouds and in the rocks behind them), and the shadows -- particularly in AxC's shirt -- are darker/"muddier" than in Photo A (lower exposure)

Most people shoot w their phone cameras on automatic settings, but IMO, it doesn't seem like the lighting conditions would have changed enough between Photo A and Photo B to account for those differences.

MOO!

I should have looked at your excellent side by side analysis more carefully before I rendered an opinion earlier, @wnk.

The resolution of photo A is so low, which is disappointing. I just realized that my perception of sharpness at a glance was really just resolution. Photo A looks like a blown-up thumbnail, almost. It would be nice if we could see both photos at their original resolution (with EXIF data! but I know that's too much to ask). I think this difference in resolution bears on our perception of color saturation a little bit. The pictures are close.

But here's the thing I just noticed: there's some difference (to me) in depth of field. It could just be the better angle and the huge resolution difference, but Photo A seems to have a little shallower depth of field. Photo B seems to have a little greater depth of field. This suggests to me that Photo A was taken slightly farther away and "zoomed in" (i.e. at a longer focal length) a little bit, which causes the flattening I'm perceiving, and Photo B was taken a little to the right, a little closer to the subjects, and "zoomed out" (i.e. at a shorter focal length), which would explain the longer depth of field.

Note also the top of Alex's head in relation to the slope behind him in A vs B. Again it might just be the angle, but I still suspect this is focal length related.

Regarding the Yellowstone photos, the affidavit states the group consisted solely of JJ, Tylee, Alex and Lori. Here is the spot where the photos were taken and it is helpful that the wood rails provide parallel lines at right angles to each other:

OldFaithfulPhoto.JPG

We can use the rules of perspective to project these surfaces as vectors with vanishing points on the horizon:
ProjectionVectors.JPG

Thus, we can confidently conclude that the photographer was standing on the wooden platform when both photos were taken.

I pulled the 10-meter topographic data for this area and confirmed the horizon behind Alex is elevated relative to the level of the wooden platform. I would need to acquire actual measurements or a LIDAR scan of the scene to be certain, but the topography suggests that the camera lens is lower than Alex's eye height.

Another useful photogrammetric principal you can use is to place a dot in the center of a photograph and this will represent precisely where the lens is pointing. If this photo hasn't been cropped the camera was pointing just to the right of Tylee's mouth. Of course, the camera could have been tilted down, but these factors suggest the photographer was shorter than Alex or that the camera was being held at a lower position by whomever took the image (almost certainly Lori, in my judgement).

Last edited:
Chad had told Lori that Tammy was going to die in a car accident, I think something had been done to her car before he sent her on that trip but it wasn't good enough to cause an accident. So 10 days later she died in her room, this is the first I had heard of her waking up in the middle of the night and slumping forward off the bed. That is exactly what happened to my daughter when she passed away as well as the red foam from her mouth and she died of a fentanyl overdose in 2017. My feeling is Tammy was poisoned and I think opiates of some nature were used.
I am very sorry to hear that.

Regarding the Yellowstone photos, the affidavit states the group consisted solely of JJ, Tylee, Alex and Lori. Here is the spot where the photos were taken and it is helpful that the wood rails provide parallel lines at right angles to each other:

OldFaithfulPhoto.JPG

We can use the rules of perspective to project these surfaces as vectors with vanishing points on the horizon:
ProjectionVectors.JPG

Thus, we can confidently conclude that the photographer was standing on the wooden platform when both photos were taken.

I pulled the 10-meter topographic data for this area and confirmed the horizon behind Alex is elevated relative to the level of the wooden platform. I would need to acquire actual measurements or a LIDAR scan of the scene to be certain, but the topography suggests that the camera lens is lower than Alex's eye height.

Another useful photogrammetric principal you can use is to place a dot in the center of a photograph and this will represent precisely where the lens is pointing. If this photo hasn't been cropped the camera was pointing just to the right of Tylee's mouth. Of course, the camera could have been tilted down, but these factors suggest the photographer was shorter than Alex or that the camera was being held at a lower position by whomever took the image.

Man, you are amazing. I have no idea if this jibes with my depth of field explanation, but I am truly impressed with your knowledge (and tools).

ETA: I guess it does jibe, I'm just not sure if my reasoning for how I got there is correct, other than knowing Alex's head in relation to the background didn't seem right if there was a taller photographer.

I am very interested in the answer to the question to a private place to toss around ideas on another case.

I'm totally interested!
When I hear about his "visions", if he is a visionary, soothsayer, psychic or whatever he wants to call himself, why didn't he get a vision about himself and LV sitting in jail? If he is greedy for money, Vegas isn't that far away so why couldn't he have just gone there, have a "vision" or two, and pick some numbers instead of killing people?
It pisses me off when I hear about him as some sort of special being. Visions..... yeah, right.

IMO, Chad's visions = premeditation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member