Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
qmfr / ran out of time on post.

——

April 20 / BBM / source

Dr. Tedros: (49:43)
It’s life and that’s why we prefer to see the individuals, the faces, the people. They’re not numbers. They’re not averages. They are people, they’re individuals. And that’s why we don’t have secrets. And as soon as we get information, we pass it because we want to save lives, even if it’s one life. Even one life matters. One life. You can’t bring it back once it’s gone. And that’s why we have been urging countries, please, this virus is dangerous. This virus is public enemy number one. This virus is new and which has a behavior of serious contagion like flu. It’s very contagious like flu and at the same time, it’s very killer like SARS and MERS. It has a very dangerous combination and this is happening in hundred years, for the first time again. Like the 1918 flu that killed up to 100 million people, but now we have technology. We can prevent that disaster. We can prevent that kind of crisis. We can prevent it. We’re not in the same situation. We should not be afraid. We should have the confidence that we’re in a different situation and fight it back.

If there is national unity and if there is global solidarity, if we take this as a common enemy for humanity and give our best, of course understanding that this is a new virus and dangerous virus, we can win the fight. We can but please let’s consider those who are dying as individuals. They’re not numbers or figures. Even one life is precious. You know where I come from. I know war. I know poverty. I know disease. I know how people suffer in war conditions. I know how people are killed because of poverty. I know how people who could have been saved are dying because of this. I know a tragedy. I know.

That’s why I see people. I see faces. I see the mother or father of somebody. I see the daughters and sons of somebody. I see the tragedy that can behold a family. I see that. I see and I know. I’m telling you from a firsthand experience, I know how losing a brother means from childhood. I can tell you all the tragedies I have seen. That’s why in my last prayer I said, let’s not play with fire. This is a tragedy which is already affecting many families. Many are losing their loved ones, so we don’t hide information because I know what poverty means. I know what war means. I know what killer disease means.

I know what is behind all these problems and I have been warning, we have been warning from day one. This is a devil that everybody should fight. Then the solution we’re proposing, we need national unity, strong national unity. Everybody fighting this virus, taking care of their citizens, taking care of real people. We need global solidarity that’s cemented on genuine national unity. Without the two, without national unity and global solidarity, trust us, the worst is yet ahead of us. Let’s prevent this tragedy. It’s a virus that many people still don’t understand. Many countries are very developed, putting the wrong conclusions because they didn’t know it and got into trouble and we warned even developed countries saying, “This virus will even surprise developed countries.” It did. We said that. It will surprise even with the nations. We said it. It is on record. Let’s stop additional sacrifices. Let’s stop tragedy. Hundreds of thousands now dying is serious. Even one life is precious. Let’s say, “Enough is enough.”

[...]

“I know disease that could be prevented that killed people and I know how the family feels. When we think about death or disease, I was saying` let’s bring into account that these are real people and that’s what we’re losing. Real people who could be saved, but who might be dying because of our own weaknesses, weaknesses of our society. And I mentioned one or two and I said it many times, I will repeat again. This virus is dangerous. It exploits cracks between us. When we have differences there are cracks. The virus exploits those cracks. Take as an example, ideology or in one country, it could be the differences along party lines. It exploits that. That’s why I said we need national unity and whoever has whatever ideology, whether that person is from left or right or center, they should work together to fight this virus, to save these real people.

If we don’t do that, this virus will stay longer with us to kill more people and we will lose more precious lives.
So when I think about the losses of life, it reminds me of my own experience. These are real people dying and I’m just warning people who may think that these are numbers. They’re not numbers. These are people. And the other point is when there is national unity, the global solidarity could also work. I have spoken to many leaders from many countries, from the incumbent or the opposition and one message to all of them, please work together. Don’t use this virus as an opportunity to fight against each other or score political punch. It’s dangerous. It’s like playing with fire. Please work together. We need national unity. We are seeing the tragedy and we need global solidarity that’s based on honest and genuine national unity. I will say it again and again because it’s true.

It’s the political problem that may fuel further this pandemic. People say, “This is political and Tedros you’re a technical [inaudible 00:01:04:03], don’t say it.” But if it’s fueling the pandemic and that’s the very reason, why wouldn’t I say it? At the end of the day, we should know the root cause of the problem and try to address that. It’s fueling it. The cracks between people, between parties is fueling it and it’s true and that’s the reason.
And you said, “Being emotional, what made me emotional?” Because I know this, I know war, I know poverty. I know how people really are influenced by all this.”

It's a failure of will. Margarita.

What I don't understand is how we in the US devolve responsibility for the pandemic. In every other country, the (equivalent of our federal) governments lead the effort. Here the feds have devolved it to the states who in turn cede power to the counties? It's like a game of hot potato.

Listening to this evening’s local news, a group of anti -mask “free choice” attorneys are preparing to sue Palm Beach County to overturn its new executive order to wear masks in indoor public settings. Of course, this is profoundly selfish, putting other people in danger for their “right” not to wear a mask. It will be interesting to see the outcome. All 3 South Florida counties - Miami-Dade, Broward, and now Palm Beach - have mask ordinances now, so this affects the health of millions. South Florida has close to half of Florida’s COVID-19 cases.

Who is paying these attorneys?

I hope that everyone who plans to attend these types of rallies reads this ..... it exhibits the conscious awareness of the people holding the rally that it is dangerous. imo

From your link:
"By attending the Rally, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; BOK Center; ASM Global; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers liable for any illness or injury," read the disclaimer to which attendees agreed.

Liability waivers are very common right now, including for colleges and universities who are lobbying Congress to allow for liability waivers on campus for students and employees (faculty and staff). Many chambers of commerce are also working on these waivers for their communities. They are very common right now. Many hair salons have them as well.

Is medical insurance still valid if guidelines are ignored? I know my travel insurance is void if I get hurt doing certain activities (like scuba diving or bungee jumping) on holiday without paying extra to include them in the premium.

If a student gets COVID-19 while living in a residence hall on campus, his/her insurance is not affected whether or not the university followed housing density guidelines or not. They are unrelated issues.

I don't think this is about making sense but is media making a point, which is normal to do because, for example, when we recently had only 38 deaths (15 June), media made a big point of saying it was the lowest since UK lockdown began on 23 March. Which it was. I think the point of the US article was similar. (Unless I missed the point of the article). Normally media makes a big thing of this, like the next big thing will be when we both have zero daily deaths. I am basing this on reporting of Italy and Spain daily deaths also. And this is MOO.
Inventing statistics to make a point about the media not reporting his false statistics doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It's just misleading and I really don't see the rationale in trying to justify this, especially as positive results are on the increase again in some areas.

"Coronavirus deaths are down 90% since late April" is a false statement.

I hear and see a lot of excuses for not wearing masks.

Can't breathe
Too hot
Everyone suddenly has lung issues
Cloth masks aren't effective, so why bother
Can't find surgical masks
Can't find N95s
I social distance

Jmo

Well, that was an interesting list. Thing is - I DO have lung disease and CANNOT breathe properly in a mask. I have to use a motorized cart in the supermarket to do my shopping because I CAN'T get enough oxygen to walk while wearing a mask.

When I finally take the mask off I don't feel right for a couple of hours afterward, I feel like I've been through a war. I tend to avoid places where I am forced to wear a mask these days.

If anyone thinks I'm putting my grandmother at risk, I AM the grandmother and this grandmother doesn't appreciate being guilted by those with little understanding, thank you very much.

Well, that was an interesting list. Thing is - I DO have lung disease and CANNOT breathe properly in a mask. I have to use a motorized cart in the supermarket to do my shopping because I CAN'T get enough oxygen to walk while wearing a mask.

When I finally take the mask off I don't feel right for a couple of hours afterward, I feel like I've been through a war. I tend to avoid places where I am forced to wear a mask these days.

If anyone thinks I'm putting my grandmother at risk, I AM the grandmother and this grandmother doesn't appreciate being guilted by those with little understanding, thank you very much.
There are electric masks that purify air. You might be able to wear something like that? But I haven't tried any of those so don't know how well they work.

NY Releases Phase 4 Guidelines For Universities, Colleges

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that before opening up for classes, universities will have to address four considerations: a reopening plan, a containment plan, a monitoring plan, and a shutdown plan in case the virus spreads across any campus.

Face coverings will be required for students and staff, and any institution must work with local health departments to ensure any student exposed to the virus have their necessary daily needs met. More stringent disinfecting and sanitizing practices will also be required as set forth by the CDC and Department of Health.

When colleges reopen, there will be mandatory health screening practices for employees, students, and visitors. Those coming to campuses will be asked if they’ve displayed COVID-19 symptoms in the past two weeks, had a positive test, or were in close proximity to someone who contracted the virus.

Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 or displays symptoms will be sent home or to a designated quarantine location.

Cuomo said. “But we still need more data between now and September before we can make any diminutive determination. Colleges will be following the same guidelines as K through 12 schools.”

Last edited:
At a 5% death rate per case, that's 1800 deaths per day in about a month. If we can get that death rate down (and if no more old people get it), maybe we can still lower that figure.

The problem with not having a full epidemiologic response w/random testing and contact tracing is that we simply don't know where we stand. E.g. what % of the elderly have been infected, what % remains to be infected, of the infected how many have died, recovered, or shown no symptoms? Are the uninfected immune or simply unexposed or a combination - stronger immune system with low exposure?

So we can't informed decisions.

Obviously you have a medical condition which makes it difficult for you to wear a mask. We are discussing why so many people who have no problem wearing a mask, refuses to wear one? it is bizarre and dangerous for all of us. Take care of yourself.

The problem with not having a full epidemiologic response w/random testing and contact tracing is that we simply don't know where we stand. E.g. what % of the elderly have been infected, what % remains to be infected, of the infected how many have died, recovered, or shown no symptoms? Are the uninfected immune or simply unexposed or a combination - stronger immune system with low exposure?

So we can't informed decisions.

And so Trump is discontinuing support for testing ----

I said "excuse", not reason. You obviously have a reason not to wear one.

I AM the grandmother, too.

Jmo

Obviously you have a medical condition which makes it difficult for you to wear a mask. We are discussing why so many people who have no problem wearing a mask, refuses to wear one? it is bizarre and dangerous for all of us. Take care of yourself.

Thank you. Jmo

Disability Issues Brief: The ADA and Face Mask Policies

Examples of reasonable modifications to a face mask policy
  • Allow a person to wear a scarf, loose face covering, or full face shield instead of a face mask;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member