Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big question, of course, is: where is SM? But the second biggest might be: what caused LE to quickly conclude that SM was not missing voluntarily, abducted, or the victim of an accident?

The answer has to be compelling in the extreme. I hope we learn what it is one day.

IMO, they did not rule out abduction quickly, that would have been a mistake. BM could have been involved in an abduction, therefore they had to investigate this possibility.
But MOO there was something that alerted them to an abduction, from the beginning, that is really the only thing forcing them to quickly change tactics from search and rescue.
Speed indicates to me that there was a possibility she was still alive—-abduction.
IMO if BM was immediately suspected, the urgency was not as pronounced. Stick like glue to BM, do all the data searches, etc. but ultimately, she’s already dead, nothing will change that grim fact.

The big question, of course, is: where is SM? But the second biggest might be: what caused LE to quickly conclude that SM was not missing voluntarily, abducted, or the victim of an accident?

The answer has to be compelling in the extreme. I hope we learn what it is one day.
You are right JosieMae. I live in Colorado and there are so many rugged and remote places. With having the time to plan and the inclination to hide a body, it seems like the possibilities are endless. On top of that, we don’t know if he had access to other 4 x 4s, cars, ATVs; and the fact that he’s a huge guy who could drag or carry a body. I guess I’m feeling pessimistic that her body will be found.

IMO

Last edited:
So quickly, not handled as MisPers. Why?

Did LE quickly suspect (initially, just provisionally) that SM came to harm based on a factor already known by multiple ppl in the area, then shortly thereafter find corroboration of harm, perhaps at M house or property?
Speaking only hypothetically and w no factual basis, a point such as:
--- BM & SM living separately?
--- BM or SM or both w a Very Special Friend/VSF?
--- BM or SM in dire financial straits?
--- BM & SM domestic abuse (911 calls, etc)?
What else? Gambling, drug, alcohol issues are some possibilities.

Of ^ these, living separately seems the one most likely to be common knowledge.
Just going thru the laundry list; I have no reason for thinking there's any basis for any. my 2 cts.

IMO, they did not rule out abduction quickly, that would have been a mistake. BM could have been involved in an abduction, therefore they had to investigate this possibility.
But MOO there was something that alerted them to an abduction, from the beginning, that is really the only thing forcing them to quickly change tactics from search and rescue.
Speed indicates to me that there was a possibility she was still alive—-abduction.
IMO if BM was immediately suspected, the urgency was not as pronounced. Stick like glue to BM, do all the data searches, etc. but ultimately, she’s already dead, nothing will change that grim fact.

Considering BM to be innocent requires you determine who else, and where. It gives a whole new direction to the search. Total stranger, stalker,etc. The RV park is just too conspicuous and convenient. RVs are everywhere, and yes, I believe they are the SK “vans”of today. So, I began a search last night, google earth, street view for places to hide in plain sight. Hopeless, I agree, but I like challenges.
I was reminded quickly that out west, trees and thus cover for my ghost RV, can be thick in the wilderness areas, but alas no street views w/o streets.
So I focused on nearby small towns. I learned that out there in CO, almost every other house seems to have an RV(or2) in their yards...pure dismay!
I persisted......... this is just an EXAMPLE, of how hard a search of this nature could be, this px IS NOT connected to SM, but it certainly is representative of the type searches, BM, his buddies, or LE may actually be pursuing. Hiding in plain sight.

Attachments

• E4E074AD-EF6D-4868-96D0-0846E03FAC56.jpeg
    E4E074AD-EF6D-4868-96D0-0846E03FAC56.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Just picking up on the mention of the church ..... do we know what denomination, the name of the church, per chance? Street-viewing now, cruising around Hwy 285 ....... looks like you can come home from shops a back way, passed a church called Cross Roads, probably not it though. Sorry if it's been mentioned before, haven't caught up on all the threads at this point. Maybe there's some kind of link with the church, a parishioner, who knows ........
FWIW...
I have in my notes that SM and BM attended a Baptist church in Indiana...

I have not seen mention of them attending any church in CO...

Except when BM's superior at the volunteer fire dept. in CO said Suzanne usually took a bike ride then attended church on Sundays...

But... I am wondering if the volunteer fire dept. superior actually witnessed this?....
Or was just told this by BM...

Just some thoughts...

Spontaneous random walking thought ...... they are regular church goers so I would assume then that they would be watching the 9 am mass together on youtube and if so Barry should have been home waiting for her to return from bike ride and should have known she was missing then, just a spontaneous random thought .... or if he was away did he catch an online mass? Hmmmm ..... did they subscribe to the Sunday is the day of rest viewpoint? End of spontaneous walking thought .... running thought actually, here comes the rain ....

So quickly, not handled as MisPers. Why?

Did LE quickly suspect (initially, just provisionally) that SM came to harm based on a factor already known by multiple ppl in the area, then shortly thereafter find corroboration of harm, perhaps at M house or property?
Speaking only hypothetically and w no factual basis, a point such as:
--- BM & SM living separately?
--- BM or SM or both w a Very Special Friend/VSF?
--- BM or SM in dire financial straits?
--- BM & SM domestic abuse (911 calls, etc)?
What else? Gambling, drug, alcohol issues are some possibilities.

Of ^ these, living separately seems the one most likely to be common knowledge.
Just going thru the laundry list; I have no reason for thinking there's any basis for any. my 2 cts.

In that size of a house, you’d be living separately.

I believe the purpose of the canvassing was to bring awareness and have conversations with the town’s residents and shopkeepers, according to a tweet by Lauren Scharf

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

·
Jun 10

Today two dozen investigators plan to conduct a community canvas to ask residents of Chaffee County about #SuzanneMorphew Tipline is (719)312-7530
Perhaps another reason behind the June 10th LE canvassing of Salida was to indicate when/if this case goes to trial...
that they (LE) we're indeed searching for other leads of other potential suspects...
Instead of just zeroing in on ONE suspect the whole time?
(BM)...
Maybe there is even a legal term for this?

Just an idea....

Just because I feel compelled to say it: It's possible that there is no need to warn the public if the suspect is already in custody for something else. He may or may not be a stranger to the Ms. The continued requests for information and the canvassing is for as many nails as possible to keep him in custody without jeopardizing the case or start the clock rolling on SM.
Interesting idea! :thumb up:

Perhaps another reason behind the June 10th LE canvassing of Salida was to indicate when/if this case goes to trial...
that they (LE) we're indeed searching for other leads of other potential suspects...
Instead of just zeroing in on ONE suspect the whole time?
(BM)...
Maybe there is even a legal term for this?

Just an idea....
Excellent point! Thank you :)

Spontaneous random walking thought ...... they are regular church goers so I would assume then that they would be watching the 9 am mass together on youtube and if so Barry should have been home waiting for her to return from bike ride and should have known she was missing then, just a spontaneous random thought .... or if he was away did he catch an online mass? Hmmmm ..... did they subscribe to the Sunday is the day of rest viewpoint? End of spontaneous walking thought .... running thought actually, here comes the rain ....

Doesn't BM say that he had a conversation with Suzanne on Mother's Day morning, asking her if it was okay to go to Denver prior to a job starting the next day?

Or did I dream that? I think he worked that into the TD conversation. At any rate, he says he left for Denver Sunday morning,

I think that maybe the reason no one is speaking out is because they pretty much know what happened, whether it does or does not involve BM, so there's no need to make pleas to the media or to anybody.

I hope it's not BM but chances are...
But it's hard to say with no real facts or proof. No proof he was controlling, besides an unnamed relative. No proof he was a narcissist, even though a lot of people on the interwebs are calling him that. No proof he did or did not go to Denver.

As with the land deals, as bad as the timing is, I think those things just had to be done. The selling of property and buying property were probably in the works before she went missing and there were deadlines that had to be met. Other parties involved in the deals can't just wait and wait for things to get done.

CrimeOnline said there was a closing date set for the Indiana property. <modsnip: Referenced info was removed due to sleuthing BM>
And....
On the "other side of the coin"....
Perhaps the deadlines for signing/completing these transactions (if there WERE deadlines)...
Could have triggered the timing of the disappearance of Suzanne if she was not already "on board" with the transactions...

Just another way to think of it...
And just throwing out ideas...

Doesn't BM say that he had a conversation with Suzanne on Mother's Day morning, asking her if it was okay to go to Denver prior to a job starting the next day?

Or did I dream that? I think he worked that into the TD conversation. At any rate, he says he left for Denver Sunday morning,
That's what he said, -ish. He didn't mention when that supposed conversation happened.

And....
On the "other side of the coin"....
Perhaps the deadlines for signing/completing these transactions (if there WERE deadlines)...
Could have triggered the timing of the disappearance of Suzanne if she was not already "on board" with the transactions...

Just another way to think of it...
And just throwing out ideas...

I've thought very much along the same lines.

LE put out a warning about hikers, bike riders others being stopped by a perp in a car? around that time. Foggy recollection.

I found it odd that as LE passed out flyers in the business district no questions were asked of the shopkeepers, customers. You’re already out, canvassing the area but not asking questions? Duh? o_O
The CBI stated the the purpose of the canvas was to share information on SM’s disappearance and “focus on obtaining any new information in her case.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member