Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me for interrupting (long time lurker on this thread but live in Australia). One tip for keeping your bagged salads fresher for longer is to put a folded up paper towel inside the bag. It absorbs all of the excess water from the salad leaves.

good tip thank you!

good tip thank you!

I used clean kitchen dish towels today. Seemed to work, too.
All this talk of salad ingredients made me look WAY back in the fridge today. Good thing, there was all the green produce from a very recent store run. Still in great shape. But now prepped for longer care.

Excuse me for interrupting (long time lurker on this thread but live in Australia). One tip for keeping your bagged salads fresher for longer is to put a folded up paper towel inside the bag. It absorbs all of the excess water from the salad leaves.
Yes, started doing this a while back and it works. I like the boxed lettuce leaves and greens and put a paper towel in there. Also had a box of Extend bags in my pantry I didn’t know I had. They work great for keeping veggies longer, usually weeks versus days. Put a paper towel in them too. Unfortunately they don’t make them anymore, but they’re reusable. I looked on Amazon and saw a few other options but haven’t tried them yet. Has anyone else tried the Debbie Myer green bags or the Veggie Zip bags?

Yes, started doing this a while back and it works. I like the boxed lettuce leaves and greens and put a paper towel in there. Also had a box of Extend bags in my pantry I didn’t know I had. They work great for keeping veggies longer, usually weeks versus days. Put a paper towel in them too. Unfortunately they don’t make them anymore, but they’re reusable. I looked on Amazon and saw a few other options but haven’t tried them yet. Has anyone else tried the Debbie Myer green bags or the Veggie Zip bags?

I like Earthbound Farms greens and buy them weekly. Except for the recent baby spinach debacle when I forgot that it was in the fridge :oops:, I do the paper towel thing and keep the greens fresh for several days. I haven't had much luck with Fresh Express bagged salads and only get them when they are featured on weekly specials at Salvaggio's. There are some Rubbermaid storage containers that are designed to keep produce fresh longer, but I already have plenty of storage containers in all sizes and shapes.

Freshworks™ Food Storage Containers with FreshVent Technology | Rubbermaid

I like Earthbound Farms greens and buy them weekly. Except for the recent baby spinach debacle when I forgot that it was in the fridge :oops:, I do the paper towel thing and keep the greens fresh for several days. I haven't had much luck with Fresh Express bagged salads and only get them when they are featured on weekly specials at Salvaggio's. There are some Rubbermaid storage containers that are designed to keep produce fresh longer, but I already have plenty of storage containers in all sizes and shapes.

It seems more often than not the bagged salads have a strange odor to me, maybe it’s just me though. That or the fragile baby greens have pieces that are black and slimy.
Same for me on storage containers, I have so many already.

This Ziploc Fresh Produce bag looks similar to the Hefty Extend bags that were discontinued.
https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Fresh...ge+bags&qid=1593617378&sr=8-7#customerReviews

ETA: Ugh, nevermind, looks like that one’s mostly sold out, or discontinued, leaving what’s left overpriced, 11.98 shipping ?! :eek:

Last edited:
My produce pick up today included 2 gallons of whole milk! Now I need to get busy food prepping.

My daughter’s doctor told her she needs more protein. She found protein powder that she can have - not milk or nut based. I’ve been freezing fruits and veggies for her smoothies. She got a job as a vet tech! Work, pack your lunch, sleep - welcome to adulting! LOL!

Today’s treats:
3 lb bag of gold potatoes
Papayas
Mushrooms
Mangoes
Bananas
Parsley
Tomatillos
Iceberg lettuce
Celery
Pineapple

Attachments

• 1D3AE4D1-BA7C-43CE-86CB-A5F63424F1B1.jpeg
    1D3AE4D1-BA7C-43CE-86CB-A5F63424F1B1.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 20
It seems more often than not the bagged salads have a strange odor to me, maybe it’s just me though. That or the fragile baby greens have pieces that are black and slimy.
Same for me on storage containers, I have so many already.

This Ziploc Fresh Produce bag looks similar to the Hefty Extend bags that were discontinued.
https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Fresh...ge+bags&qid=1593617378&sr=8-7#customerReviews

ETA: Ugh, nevermind, looks like that one’s mostly sold out, or discontinued, leaving what’s left overpriced, 11.98 shipping ?! :eek:

I'm sure this is part of the reason that bagged salads are often recalled. Moisture builds up within the bag and makes the contents wet and foul-smelling. Perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Hericots Verts are usually in sealed bags, and, as much as I love them, I have pretty much stopped buying them because I've had to toss entire bags when the contents were slimy and stinky. Last time I cooked them, DH and I both ended up with a bad case of gastroenteritis :eek:

My produce pick up today included 2 gallons of whole milk! Now I need to get busy food prepping.

My daughter’s doctor told her she needs more protein. She found protein powder that she can have - not milk or nut based. I’ve been freezing fruits and veggies for her smoothies. She got a job as a vet tech! Work, pack your lunch, sleep - welcome to adulting! LOL!

Today’s treats:
Papayas
Mushrooms
Mangoes
Bananas
Parsley
Tomatillos
Iceberg lettuce
Celery
Pineapple

never heard of tomatillos so I googled
so I guess they're like Mexico's version of a tomato?

Yes, absolutely agree about Fresh Express. They look pretty from a distance but up close, they often have brown edges at the cut lines. However, for those of you looking into more permanent containers, someone here? posted about the new Tupperware sets and they loved them.
I have to be able to see what is where. If the veggies are in a container, it has to be clear plastic. Colored tops are ok but the main part needs to be clear. Opaque is maybe. Keep track of things. Rotate them. Know what to eat and when by how much remains in the container and it’s position in the fridge.
And thank goodness for clear drawers. When they were solid white, it was a nightmare to remember what went were and for how long.

Today’s treats:
Papayas
Mushrooms
Mangoes
Bananas
Parsley
Tomatillos
Iceberg lettuce
Celery
Pineapple

I so enjoy your "food *advertiser censored*" photos :D That is a very nice haul! Bananas tend to ripen fast, so you might need to bake banana bread over the holiday weekend :) I get the smallest, greenest bananas I can find so they don't overripen too quickly.

I did but they weren’t worth the cost as they didn’t extend the life but what I have found is similar to what others posted but with a twist - I use mason jars and I put the washed lettuce spinach etc in a paper towel then roll it like a burrito and place inside the mason jar - iceberg lettuce is now lasting 3 weeks - others in my house do salad jars with feta olives red onion etc (no dressing) and take to work for lunch / I don’t like mixing it but they seem happy enough

I did but they weren’t worth the cost as they didn’t extend the life but what I have found is similar to what others posted but with a twist - I use mason jars and I put the washed lettuce spinach etc in a paper towel then roll it like a burrito and place inside the mason jar - iceberg lettuce is now lasting 3 weeks - others in my house do salad jars with feta olives red onion etc (no dressing) and take to work for lunch / I don’t like mixing it but they seem happy enough
That's something new and interesting. About the iceberg, do you chop it or tear it up to put it in the jar ? It doesn't turn brown around the edges ? TIA

That's something new and interesting. About the iceberg, do you chop it or tear it up to put it in the jar ? It doesn't turn brown around the edges ? TIA
I take out the core by pounding it (no idea where I learned that) then I tear the lettuce and rinse then put it in my salad spinner - I use the bounty 1/2 paper towels and lay the torn spun leaves and roll it up then stuff it in the mason jar AFC5BA7B-532E-4A34-A0A2-6331AB43A91B.jpeg
They look like mummies
And after 3 weeks it hasn’t turned brown - I prefer just the lettuce and I did the same thing with spinach from Aldi and it lasts way longer - we are buying more mason jars we are so happy with the results

I so enjoy your "food *advertiser censored*" photos :D That is a very nice haul! Bananas tend to ripen fast, so you might need to bake banana bread over the holiday weekend :) I get the smallest, greenest bananas I can find so they don't overripen too quickly.
I peeled each banana and wrapped it in Saran Wrap. Then loaded all 6 of them in a gallon baggie and froze them. If I’m making bread, I take out 3. If my kid is making a smoothie, she can use 1 at a time. They don’t discolor much at all.

I washed all the parsley, left it to dry. Then, I put little bunches in snack sized baggies, put them in a quart size baggie and froze them. Cut up the pineapple and froze it in small baggies too.

I removed the core from the iceberg lettuce, pulled off all the bad leaves, washed it. Loaded it all in a gallon baggie with a paper towel.

Today, I took the mushrooms, celery, 3 eggplants from last week, a bag of tart apple slices and a gallon of whole milk to my friend. She will help her daughter feed her 3 Gsons who are 5, 10 & 13. Their Dad doesn’t have a job.

Now those mangoes... what a nightmare. I knew not to eat them because I’m likely allergic to them. Well... I cut one up because I thought I’d freeze them. My kid walks in the kitchen, gasps and says “Put that down Mom!” Holy Blister Batman. I have blistered skin all the way to my elbow! It’s just like poison ivy.

Today I saw my oncologist’s Physician Assistant. She took one look and put me on a topical steroid. Plus it was treatment day which includes a 40 mg dose of steroid pills. I’ll be fine thankfully but the bag of mangoes needs to leave the building. I’m not touching it tho!! My kid will need to give the mangoes to someone and clean out the fridge drawer.

I peeled each banana and wrapped it in Saran Wrap. Then loaded all 6 of them in a gallon baggie and froze them. If I’m making bread, I take out 3. If my kid is making a smoothie, she can use 1 at a time. They don’t discolor much at all.

I washed all the parsley, left it to dry. Then, I put little bunches in snack sized baggies, put them in a quart size baggie and froze them. Cut up the pineapple and froze it in small baggies too.

I removed the core from the iceberg lettuce, pulled off all the bad leaves, washed it. Loaded it all in a gallon baggie with a paper towel.

Today, I took the mushrooms, celery, 3 eggplants from last week, a bag of tart apple slices and a gallon of whole milk to my friend. She will help her daughter feed her 3 Gsons who are 5, 10 & 13. Their Dad doesn’t have a job.

Now those mangoes... what a nightmare. I knew not to eat them because I’m likely allergic to them. Well... I cut one up because I thought I’d freeze them. My kid walks in the kitchen, gasps and says “Put that down Mom!” Holy Blister Batman. I have blistered skin all the way to my elbow! It’s just like poison ivy.

Today I saw my oncologist’s Physician Assistant. She took one look and put me on a topical steroid. Plus it was treatment day which includes a 40 mg dose of steroid pills. I’ll be fine thankfully but the bag of mangoes needs to leave the building. I’m not touching it tho!! My kid will need to give the mangoes to someone and clean out the fridge drawer.

Wow! A mango allergy. Guess you can have allergies to just about anything.

Chop for using right away. Tear if going to store it for any length in time. Use a plastic knife, and it won’t matter. I guess the metal knives react with the veggie. Don’t ask me. I didn’t do very well in chemistry in high school. Cough cough. It was a disgrace in college. COUGH COUGH. :(

Chop for using right away. Tear if going to store it for any length in time. Use a plastic knife, and it won’t matter. I guess the metal knives react with the veggie. Don’t ask me. I didn’t do very well in chemistry in high school. Cough cough. It was a disgrace in college. COUGH COUGH. :(
No, you’re right, tearing is better than using any type of knife. I can keep a head of iceberg for so long anyway, it never occurred to me to try and store it longer. Until these crazy times, when I’m actually avoiding going to the store anymore than necessary. So now, I need to buy maybe two heads of iceberg at a time. I think I’ll try this storage method with my Extend bags as I don’t really have room for containers or jars.

Wow! A mango allergy. Guess you can have allergies to just about anything.

IIRC, allergic reaction to mangoes (among other fruits and vegetables) originates from the skin of the fruit. I've known people who have similar reactions to apples and eggplant. An Italian friend who would love to cook eggplant had to stop when her daughter developed an allergic reaction that caused numbness, tingling, and blisters on her lips and tongue. The allergic reaction was caused by pectin in the eggplant skin.

Last edited:
DH and I went to Salvaggio's yesterday after picking up a book curbside at the library. We've rarely been in Nino's late in the day (4:30). Store was pretty crowded, and there were obvious gaps on shelves. Some produce was being restocked during our visit. We got everything on our list and won't need to return over the holiday weekend when the market will probably be very busy.

I have 2/3 of a tub of Ricotta left over from the lamb-stuffed eggplant that I made last week. The only dish that I make with Ricotta is spinach-stuffed shells that is typically something that I make in the winter. I made a cheesecake with Ricotta once, and it just wasn't the same as a real New York cheesecake. DH loves any type of pasta and said that he'd cook the shells and assemble in casserole if I do the spinach filling prep. We'll have stuffed shells tonight.

DH said he'd like to have corn with our all-American burgers tomorrow. Loose ears of scrawny-looking corn in an outside bench were 99 cents each! It's too early for Michigan corn and that's pretty much the only corn on the cob we'll eat. In the produce department, there were shucked ears of corn in 5-pack tray that look good, so we will each have an ear tomorrow, and I'll use the rest for black bean salsa/salad. Even though we're not hosting the annual family barbeque, I plan to make baked beans because it's tradition :) Beautiful Georgia peaches will be perfect when grilled with butter and brown sugar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member