Possible Victim: Valerie Mack, 24, Manorville Jane Doe #6, missing 2000, found Nov 2000 & Gilgo Beach Apr 2011

The vague description is designed to elicit tips.

The police (presumably) have additional information but they aren’t giving up the ghost just yet. They’ll see which tips mesh with their confidential information and go from there. There’s always something that only a person who was closely associated with the victim would know/recall, like where they met on that day, what they ate, what they were wearing , et al.

JMO, but a certain degree of specificity might elicit more tips in a 20-year-old case. People's memories fade (if the same people are even still living). I can understand that strategy with a more recent case, but isn't there also a danger in being too vague with a crime this old?

LE can still withhold certain key pieces of evidence that only Valerie's contacts might have known, while giving the public a bigger nibble to jog their brains or validate their suspicions, if they are sitting on the fence about someone or something.

Again, my opinion. But I do feel that if they dropped a few more specific clues, it might jolt the right people to come forward.

Last edited:
It is all so disheartening.

And even if the family, for whatever reason, isn't willing to help, surely the father of Valerie's son would be able to verify if she had a tattoo?

The language "Family members last saw her in the area of Port Republic, New Jersey in the spring or summer of 2000" strikes me as curious--was it just a sighting? No contact? And why the broad range--that could be a span of 5 months, possibly.

Makes me think she was mostly estranged from this family. If someone in my family suddenly went missing, I'd have the date of last contact etched in my mind forever ("The last time we saw her was at Uncle Bill's birthday party on May 23rd" or whatever it was).

For some reason I keep thinking/feeling that guy, James McGonigal who recently passed away may be the ex-bf of Valerie. He also mentioned on his Myspace "mommy mack" and "jmack." And, if you look at his eldest child mentioned in the obit, his name was also James. He would be approx 23-25 ...by now. But it could all be a coincident.

For some reason I keep thinking/feeling that guy, James McGonigal who recently passed away may be the ex-bf of Valerie. He also mentioned on his Myspace "mommy mack" and "jmack." And, if you look at his eldest child mentioned in the obit, his name was also James. He would be approx 23-25 ...by now. But it could all be a coincident.

That’s interesting. The mother of his recent partner (who I believe has also passed) shared a link to Valerie’s identification on her FB. It’s hard to work out if Valerie Mack is her birth or adoptive name. One of his sons is pic’d with him in a red T-shirt and he does resemble Valerie.

That is a coincidence. His wife Melissa is in some Facebook pictures with him.

That is a coincidence. His wife Melissa is in some Facebook pictures with him.
I wonder if that is how and why Valerie came up with and went by the name Melissa? Perhaps when she got arrested, she used Jame's wife's name, "Melissa" because she didn't like her dating her ex boyfriend? Melissa, I believe passed away a few years ago. There may be a connection. But IDK? And then we have the last name, "Taylor" which could have been her adopted name or birth name that she no longer used. Jessica Taylor was born in a small town upstate NY, that's not too far from NJ, where Valerie was said to be originally from. They could have been sisters.

That’s interesting. The mother of his recent partner (who I believe has also passed) shared a link to Valerie’s identification on her FB. It’s hard to work out if Valerie Mack is her birth or adoptive name. One of his sons is pic’d with him in a red T-shirt and he does resemble Valerie.
Found some info re: Valerie via FB, not sure on validity of source but this is what it read..."She was the youngest of four biological children who were all removed from their parents by CPS in New Jersey.she was adopted in 1979 by the Macks. Valerie wasn’t her birth name either.
Her biological father died in 1985 and her biological mother in 2002.
She was born and raised in New Jersey but lived in Philadelphia for the last months of her life.
When looking at the series of her mug shots you can see that she was a young woman struggling with life. Now that she has her proper name back she can finally rest peacefully" Found via Remembering Valerie Mack

There was also a girl reported missing "Wendy Robinson" in 2005. She was 5.4" 160 lbs. Cherries torso was found in 2007 and it was said that she was of a large build. Does anyone know anything about this case?
Also, Erica McDaniels was known as "Shorty" or "Shorty Pee" from what I read. And in KW's myspace, he mentions "Shorty" I am sure this was brought up before, but it just seems like a lot of connections go back to KW, I also noticed that a CBS producer was trying to reach out to KW in May 2020.

I wonder if that is how and why Valerie came up with and went by the name Melissa? Perhaps when she got arrested, she used Jame's wife's name, "Melissa" because she didn't like her dating her ex boyfriend? Melissa, I believe passed away a few years ago. There may be a connection. But IDK? And then we have the last name, "Taylor" which could have been her adopted name or birth name that she no longer used. Jessica Taylor was born in a small town upstate NY, that's not too far from NJ, where Valerie was said to be originally from. They could have been sisters.

That’s what I thought. In those days when LE didn’t have the resources to instantly check identity giving a name, DOB & address that checked out was a way of getting away with things. As you say though, it has to be someone you don’t like and wouldn’t mind causing trouble for, an exes new woman would be perfect. If MT was living with her ex it’s likely VM would have known all the right details, plus they are physically alike.

Found some info re: Valerie via FB, not sure on validity of source but this is what it read..."She was the youngest of four biological children who were all removed from their parents by CPS in New Jersey.she was adopted in 1979 by the Macks. Valerie wasn’t her birth name either.
Her biological father died in 1985 and her biological mother in 2002.
She was born and raised in New Jersey but lived in Philadelphia for the last months of her life.
When looking at the series of her mug shots you can see that she was a young woman struggling with life. Now that she has her proper name back she can finally rest peacefully" Found via Remembering Valerie Mack

I’ve had a look at that page. I actually credit those details. The press described her as being from Philadelphia but last seen in NJ where she was living with a boyfriend around Port Republic. Judging from the comments several people say that she comes from a family called Mack in Port Republic. So the press got it the wrong way round, Valerie was raised in NJ, moved to Philadelphia for a while then returned to NJ. That would also mean the time she was in Philadelphia was around the time her son was born, which would fit with being the girlfriend of Jimmy McGonigal and having his baby. Good spot.

I’ve had a look at that page. I actually credit those details. The press described her as being from Philadelphia but last seen in NJ where she was living with a boyfriend around Port Republic. Judging from the comments several people say that she comes from a family called Mack in Port Republic. So the press got it the wrong way round, Valerie was raised in NJ, moved to Philadelphia for a while then returned to NJ. That would also mean the time she was in Philadelphia was around the time her son was born, which would fit with being the girlfriend of Jimmy McGonigal and having his baby. Good spot.
The press gets a lot wrong. That's why when we read, we should read and reread. :) Yeah, I too believe that Jimmy or James may have been her ex, and the father of her son.

I think I found a pic of her as a youngster. She still has that very sad look. I think that she was the oldest of the adopted siblings, so probably bore the brunt of whatever happened with their birth parents which may be why she struggled.

Attachments

• 41DA74FA-8D01-4A66-AB90-6C50720341C3.jpeg
    41DA74FA-8D01-4A66-AB90-6C50720341C3.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 105
And that pic is from a happy Xmas group photo. I wonder what made her life so sad? From what I can gather the rest of her siblings thrived and they had a nice life after they were adopted. They were still including Valerie’s name in family announcements in 2005 so they hadn’t forgotten her. It’s all so sad. Her son must have spent all those years thinking she didn’t care. He took away her chance to get better and have a good life. It’s just so unfair.

I think I found a pic of her as a youngster. She still has that very sad look. I think that she was the oldest of the adopted siblings, so probably bore the brunt of whatever happened with their birth parents which may be why she struggled.
For some reason I think I remember reading she was the youngest, but I could be wrong.

yes I did, and I know that belt WH he wears it, I joked around and said it meant white boy. He isn’t white but really wanted to be, he is Latino; 5’3, but in amazing shape.
I made another joke about his belt, I said White House in which he replied Women Hater ..

yes I did, and I know that belt WH he wears it, I joked around and said it meant white boy. He isn’t white but really wanted to be, he is Latino; 5’3, but in amazing shape.

New
The belt is WH , I was joking it meant white boy ( he doesn’t act or speak Latino), and than I said White House. He than replied Woman Hater. We were going out that night to get something to eat, he pulled it out from a hall closet. He wanted to show me the belt, I held it before he put it on and inspected it’s quality.

Ha
New
The belt is WH , I was joking it meant white boy ( he doesn’t act or speak Latino), and than I said White House. He than replied Woman Hater. We were going out that night to get something to eat, he pulled it out from a hall closet. He wanted to show me the belt, I held it before he put it on and inspected it’s quality.

Have you told the police this? What did they say?

For some reason I think I remember reading she was the youngest, but I could be wrong.

No, there’s a family announcement from 2005 which has all the children’s names. Found a sister, all the others are def younger.

No Mystery. John Bittrolff is the Long Island Serial Killer.

In 2002, there was a CSI episode about "The Blue Paint Killer" who stalked girls on a remote path. I often found out that CSI stories were inspired by real news stories. There is not much hope to find out what real story may have inspired the CSI episode. But it would have happened around the time when it could have also inspired whoever left Valerie Mack on that path in Manorville.

Valerie Mack was not stalked on a path, she was perhaps strangled in a motel room. But the killer did not want you to know she was really a person with tattoos, a hooker from Atlantic City. The killer wanted her to look like she could have been one of the girls who jogged along that path by the highway in Manorville.

I believe the killer had seen females jogging alone on that path. And he wanted to kill them for sport. Or he at least wanted them to know that he could have killed them for sport. Maybe there was some reason he could not actually kill the one he wanted to kill, because he knew her. He was afraid to kill someone he knew. But he still wanted to terrorize her. So he found someone who could pass as her if you cut the head and tattoos off, and put the body on the path where the person he knew would see her. It was intended to say "look, this could be you."

So the killer was someone who was intrigued by the idea of stalking prey on a remote path. John Bittrolff was a hunter, who also had no problem chopping up dead animals. John Bittrolff lived in Manorville and, as a hunter, would have been curious to walk that path. And John Bittrolff had forbidden impulses, so we know he had forbidden impulses toward the girls he would have seen jogging on that path. But we know he couldn't kill a local because he knew them, and John Bittrolff was a local to that path.

So whoever put Valerie Mack on that path had a specific female walker or jogger in mind, as the target of his display. Yes it is weak to quote Hannibal Lecter, but "How do we begin to covet? We begin by coveting what we see every day." That female had to live in Manorville, so the person who made the display for her to see must also live in Manorville, to know of her. The chances that there are two hooker killers in such a small town, is basically zero.

I posted some more analysis on my web page Profile of the Long Island Serial Killer

More of a psychological approach than a hard evidence approach. Part of my analysis is that the killer liked the physical shapes of females. A carpenter like John Bittrolff takes interest in physical shapes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back