Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump fired the WHO a few weeks ago. I think the world is sending a clear message to the US through travel bans though.

Perhaps, just like we sent them a clear message with our travel bans.

People, people, please try to understand that this is a pandemic, it's not about politics. Travel bans reflect the risk of importing the virus, not some kind of political approval rating.

I have seen a couple of articles about Hydroxychloriquine that seem to be contradictory so will post them here.

<modsnip: Removed link to political article; link to actual study is posted downthread>

WHO discontinues hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir treatment arms for COVID-19

WHO halts trial of HIV drugs as possible treatment for patients hospitalized with coronavirus

Study finds hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better - CNN

The actual study can be found here: https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with these "closed" communities is that they go back and forth, they work construction jobs, they shop in stores such as Walmart, they hold sales events that all can attend. And they don't wear masks.

And they continue to hold worship services.

For Pennsylvania’s Amish, the coronavirus and the call for social distancing are a challenge

They have been wearing them here in our area of KY, not sure about in their home communities but at stores they are masked. Very small town though!

First link is a political news article on Fox News. The actual study can be found here: https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

You must have answered while I was still posting links. I already added this one (the successful Michigan study ) into my post.

The Fox link is MSM and talks about the Michigan study that you and I also linked as follows:

"Researchers at the Henry Ford Health System in Southeast Michigan have found that early administration of the drug hydroxychloroquine makes hospitalized patients substantially less likely to die.

The study, published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, determined that hydroxychloroquine provided a "66% hazard ratio reduction," and hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin a 71 percent reduction, compared to neither treatment.

In-hospital mortality was 18.1 percent overall; 13.5 percent with just hydroxychloroquine, 22.4 percent with azithromycin alone, and 26.4 percent with neither drug. "Prospective trials are needed" for further review, the researchers note, even as they concluded: "In this multi-hospital assessment, when controlling for COVID-19 risk factors, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and in combination with azithromycin was associated with reduction in COVID-19 associated mortality."

"Our results do differ from some other studies," Dr. Marcus Zervos, who heads the hospital's infectious diseases unit, said at a news conference. "What we think was important in ours ... is that patients were treated early. For hydroxychloroquine to have a benefit, it needs to begin before the patients begin to suffer some of the severe immune reactions that patients can have with COVID." "

Last edited:
I can tell you exactly why Leicester had to go back into lockdown | Daily Mail Online

I'm not generally a fan of the daily mail but I do believe this article probably is quite accurate re the reasons for Leicester going back to lockdown
Here's a BBC article also. It states they have the highest 7 day case rate in the country at 135 per 100,000. They are only in lockdown till the 19th July if all goes well.

Link below

Police given 'minimal guidance' on local lockdown

"Mr Hancock said Leicester's seven-day infection rate was 135 cases per 100,000 people - three times that of the next highest city.

Bradford, Barnsley and Rochdale have all seen 45 or more cases per 100,000 people in the last week.

_113170753_england_cases_map_30jun-nc.png

_109028083_1px_white_line-nc.png

Dave Stokes, chairman of Leicestershire Police Federation, called on the government to provide more detail on what the public can and cannot do during the lockdown.

"As we have seen over recent weeks and months, if the guidance and messaging from government is confusing for the public, then it will be almost impossible for our colleagues to police," he said.

Nottinghamshire Police said officers could fine visitors from Leicester who they suspected had travelled to Nottingham for a "night out".

The force said it would work with British Transport Police to ensure people were not coming to the city on trains from Leicester to shop or visit pubs."

Last edited:
So many stories, so many valuable workers now lost. Very sad. Lack of proper PPE in many cases. Have we learned our lessons?
I don't know that we've learned any lessons. I do think our eyes, and the eyes of the world, have opened to some hard truths about myriad hidden or buried issues. We'll have to wait and see where our country takes it from here. If anywhere. jmo

Coronavirus Australia live news: WHO reports record daily increase in global COVID-19 cases

Coronavirus Australia live news: WHO reports record daily increase in global COVID-19 cases

Michael Doyle

1 hour ago

The world hit a new coronavirus milestone overnight

And it wasn't a great one.

The World Health Organization (WHO) reported a record increase in global coronavirus cases on Saturday, with the total rising by 212,326 in 24 hours.

The biggest increases were from the United States, Brazil and India, according to a daily report.

The previous WHO record for new cases was 189,077 on June 28. Deaths remained steady at about 5,000 a day.

Global coronavirus cases exceeded 11 million on Friday, according to a Reuters tally, marking another milestone in the spread of the disease that has been linked to the deaths of half a million people in seven months.

WHO rules out hydroxychloroquine trial

WHO rules out hydroxychloroquine trial

Sky News Australia

31 mins ago
The World Health Organisation has abandoned trials of a controversial malaria drug after failing to reduce the death rate of COVID-19 patients.

Scientists said hydroxychloroquine produced poor results despite large-scale testing.

The WHO is now analysing the potential effect of an anti-viral drug which has produced positive early results.

Most buses are about half full most of the time anyway, or have been in the past counties I have lived. Majority are dropped off by parents, you have to plan your traffic routes at the beginning/ending of classes. Hope you are well. :)

There are almost no extra seats on any bus in any of our county school districts - nor in nearby Los Angeles and Riverside Counties.

The buses do not take students who are within about 2 miles of the school. Some kids walk half a mile to avoid walking 1.5 miles.

At any rate, in my actual neighborhood, there are occasional issues with 3 kids to a seat meant for 2. This is SoCal.

They may have extra buses - but it's the extra drivers who are the problem. Hopefully, they can hire a few more in the next month, provisional.

My house is about 7 miles from the high school my girls attended, some people did drive - but the traffic was horrible, especially right at the school.

View attachment 254425

3-D chart of deaths as a percentage of population in each state. Really shows how much of a disaster NY (particularly NYC), NJ, CT, MA, RI, PA, and DC have been compared to most of the rest of the country.
But it's not over yet.

ETA, I'm not sure, but it seems that once it gets embedded in old-age or retirement homes, that's where the carnage really happens.

Such a beautiful precious baby in video :(

Ohio couple gets COVID-19, mother gives birth before dying of virus | NBC4 WCMH-TV

Cradling his baby, a Cleveland man sitting next to a picture of his wife said they had a great life together until they both fell ill with COVID-19.

Sierra Warith, 23, was pregnant with her second child when she and her husband, Ramath Mzpeh Warith, who works at the RTA, tested positive for the virus in May.

Mr. Warith says his wife, who suffered from chronic asthma, began to experience a sore throat and develop a fever so she went to a local hospital. He says their baby was delivered through C-section. Warith would not survive to meet her baby.

so sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member