Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh...I see a few of you noticing something Chad is very good at. The wearing of the masks. Many evil, manipulative, and horrible people are incredibly good at appearing very different than they really are. Remember the BTK killer? He was very involved in the local Methodist church group, and while some people he worked with could see he wasn't nice, some people really liked him. Serial killers, like Chad, seem to be especially good at the mask wearing. Chad really worked the quiet, rightous, kind of bumbling, childlike good guy look to his advantage, and it worked! MOO

I agree. I see resemblances between CD and BTK. Both pretended to be soft-spoken Christian types but both were manipulative at home and in personal relationships.

A thought now that we've compared the two -- is it possible more bodies lie in CD's past? We're always focused on LVD's past and the bodies that piled up there, but CD was the ring leader if you ask me, so how do we know he didn't emulate BTK before he figured out a way to get a woman to kill her own children?

Creepy to think about.

Do we know who handled TD's probate? I can't help but wonder all the things that MM might know about, and how far back it might go. Especially considering the fact that MM and Judge Eddins believe that having that information out in the public eye might infringe LVD's right to a fair trial. Does MM have knowledge of how CD moved money around between October and February, for instance? Etc.
I'm wondering if the reason the argument about whether MM is conflicted is sealed is more that the prosecutor says he is and MM says he isn't, and which witnesses that might affect if they knew those reasons.

Would LVD have been at the hearing? Might it be in relation to LVD's own evidence, or version?

For instance if she said one thing about Chad and then said something different about Chad after his arrest, might her own equivocation prejudice her if it is on record, being privileged communication? Or even that she didn't mention something in the beginning, but now wants to? Or is it a hypothetical they are using perhaps, so they want to protect against something that could happen as opposed to something that will happen?

Unless there is actual evidence linking Tammy's death to CD, that can't be used at trial. Nor can the defense even mention it.

My opinion, is that Tammy's autopsy was in December. If there had been anything conclusive, CD would have been charged with her murder.

Seriously, if this murderous duo gets off without life in prison, it will completely destroy my belief in the justice system. There has to be "evidence" to convict. My personal opinion is that two dead children is plenty of evidence.

"Caylee's Law" needs to become a federal law. Making it mandatory for caregivers to report a "missing child". That way, LVD would have two more charges against her.
Nate Eaton said on a NG podcast that even if the autopsy came back as inconclusive, they had enough digital evidence to charge them anyways. So, there's hope for justice yet.

Thinking broadly about this case, it’s fascinating to think that incredibly dull, dumb and weak people can pose a threat to your life.

Chad, Lori and Alex are clearly sub mediocrities in intelligence. Chad writes at a middle school level and has no charisma. I suppose Lori might be slightly physically attractive.

But all in all, these people are just sub average dullards in almost every way.

You often read about low level street crime perpetrated by morons. And in a way, only a dimwit or someone mentally ill could do what Alex seems to have done.

And police ineptitude let the kids get murdered, this should’ve been stopped at Charles’ murder. So this murder spree is definitely an outgrowth of horrible police work...

But still, it’s astonishing to realize this trio of idiots murdered so many great people.

usual jmo disclaimer.

LV should be the poster child for pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside.

This whole story is crazy. It's so easy to see how Lori ended up this way. The family tree of mental illness is sad. It's made me look at my family tree a little closer. I'm not saying I am anything like these people but I can map out my own issues and how they came to be. I can empathize with all the players in this story but I can't sympathize cuz at some point they had choices to make and it seems like they chose the wrong road at every fork in the road. These were choices not just something that happened to them (none of the children including Colby had choices, this is stuff that happened to them) and as adults, they could have changed the outcome.

@Grixote I know this doesn't fully relate to your post, I was using it as a jumping off point.

Thanks! Always been an amateur sleuth of sorts. In retirement, I’d like to work on solving cold cases. There is an answer out there for every one of them. Just have to find it.

There is a whole area of cold cases on websleuths! You have definitely come to the right place! Welcome to WS! Although I tend to stick with current cases, another very interesting area of this site is the "unidentified" forum.

I’ve been thinking a lot about JJ. I have a 16 yr old niece on the spectrum. Her parents have always made sure she received the best assistance available to help her to reach her potential. She’s a gifted pianist, writes original music and lyrics, sings and loves performing more than anything. I have no doubt she would have grown up secure and happy even without outside resources because her parents were dedicated to ensuring just that.

I don’t think JJ had much support once Lori left CV. Sure, Lori went through the motions, tolerated JJ’s support dog, sent him to the right schools, etc. I doubt she spent one minute of her time reinforcing anything he was getting outside her domain. Once CV was out of the picture, JJ had only Tylee to help him along in life and that had to be stifling for her. She needed to find herself just as much as JJ did. Lori just dragged those poor kids all over the map, making sure she was happy. I fear that when JJ had to spend time at home with Lori, all he ever experienced was discipline and frustration. There’s no telling what great gifts JJ would have found in himself and shared with others had Lori been the least bit interested in helping him to discover them. That makes me so sad.

all JMO

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking a lot about JJ. I have a 16 yr old niece on the spectrum. Her parents have always made sure she received the best assistance available to help her to reach her potential. She’s a gifted pianist, writes original music and lyrics, sings and loves performing more than anything. I have no doubt she would have grown up secure and happy even without outside resources because her parents were dedicated to ensuring just that.

I don’t think JJ had much support once Lori left CV. Sure, Lori went through the motions, tolerated JJ’s support dog, sent him to the right schools, etc. I doubt she spent one minute of her time reinforcing anything he was getting outside her domain. Once CV was out of the picture, JJ had only Tylee to help him along in life and that had to be stifling for her. She needed to find herself just as much as JJ did. Lori just dragged those poor kids all over the map, making sure she was happy. I fear that when JJ had to spend time at home with Lori, all he ever experienced was discipline and frustration. There’s no telling what great gifts JJ would have found in himself and shared with others had Lori been the least bit interested in helping him to discover them. That makes me so sad.

all JMO

I totally agree that her only interest was disciplinary. She even said so herself, but in less obvious words.... remember MGs statement saying that part of LVs "proof" that JJ was a zombie was him sitting still watching TV? For normal parents, this would not be considered wrong, but in LVs world..... I don't believe either child could do anything right in Lori's eyes. I had a mother like that. It hurts to be hated by your parent and its anxiety inducing having to walk on egg shells constantly. All three children deserved better and it's sad that this is who they got. JMO MOO IMNSHO ETC ETC

all JMO
I've just finished listening to April Raymond's interview with Nancy Grace. She talks about LV playing down and not celebrating JJ's early milestones when they lived on Kauai. She also talks about Tylee's GED and her health issues, amongst other things.

LV told AR that CV was having an affair but she couldn't tell AR what her name was or anything about her. LV had said CV met her on LinkedIn and LV's proof of the affair was his grocery bills were high when he went out of town.

I think this should link to the correct podcast - (ETA it doesn't, but scroll down to the interview on 6 Jul)
Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

I agree. I see resemblances between CD and BTK. Both pretended to be soft-spoken Christian types but both were manipulative at home and in personal relationships.

A thought now that we've compared the two -- is it possible more bodies lie in CD's past? We're always focused on LVD's past and the bodies that piled up there, but CD was the ring leader if you ask me, so how do we know he didn't emulate BTK before he figured out a way to get a woman to kill her own children?

Creepy to think about.
Have you read CD’s book, “One Foot In The Grave” ?

There is a whole area of cold cases on websleuths! You have definitely come to the right place! Welcome to WS! Although I tend to stick with current cases, another very interesting area of this site is the "unidentified" forum.
When you say “Unidentified”, what does that mean exactly, so that I may prepare myself for what I might see. Just want to get an idea what I would be getting into. Thanks! :)

Apparently the audio books the Preparing People were narrated by a son and daughter of CD.[/QUOTE

For their sake, I hope the apple(s) fell far enough from the tree that they can get a sense of reality and see what's happened and what's happening. Unlike Colby, they've been awfully quiet and, to me, that's not a good sign. Supporting your father is one thing but c'mon kids, let's get real. If they're part of the cult and/or under their father's spell, God help them and those around them.
JMO.

For their sake, I hope the apple(s) fell far enough from the tree that they can get a sense of reality and see what's happened and what's happening. Unlike Colby, they've been awfully quiet and, to me, that's not a good sign. Supporting your father is one thing but c'mon kids, let's get real. If they're part of the cult and/or under their father's spell, God help them and those around them.
JMO.
Though, there’s a difference between not talking, and not talking to the press. Hopefully they are cooperating with police, but I think staying away from the press is a good thing.

When you say “Unidentified”, what does that mean exactly, so that I may prepare myself for what I might see. Just want to get an idea what I would be getting into. Thanks! :)
It’s the forum where all the Jane and John Does that need to be identified reside. You won’t have to prepare yourself for gory images. There are some postmortem photos depending on the case but there is always a trigger warning associated with it. Here’s the main UID (Unidentified Decedent) forum. Welcome!

The Unidentified

JMO.
If that were my dad, i would not speak to the media unless i thought he was innocent and being treated unfairly. I see their silence completely opposite than you.

Murder charges are LONG OVERDUE. LE has more than enough to try a DP case such as this.
MOO
Once they are charged they have the right to a speedy trial. Theres no rush because they are in custody. It makes sense to wait for the autopsy results and any other lab results they are waiting for before charging them.

I'm wondering if the reason the argument about whether MM is conflicted is sealed is more that the prosecutor says he is and MM says he isn't, and which witnesses that might affect if they knew those reasons.

Would LVD have been at the hearing? Might it be in relation to LVD's own evidence, or version?

For instance if she said one thing about Chad and then said something different about Chad after his arrest, might her own equivocation prejudice her if it is on record, being privileged communication? Or even that she didn't mention something in the beginning, but now wants to? Or is it a hypothetical they are using perhaps, so they want to protect against something that could happen as opposed to something that will happen?

I have a feeling it's not very complicated, whatever it is. I believe @vislaw commented on this right after the hearing in which the potential conflict came up. Rob Wood won't really care about conflict of interest other than in ensuring that if there is any, that it's identified and dealt with now vs. later (i.e. as grounds for an appeal). The reason for the potential conflict is known (MM's representation of CD prior to the criminal charges being brought). The details--what specific matters MM represented him in--are not known, and now sealed by court order it seems. They must not make LVD look innocent, whatever they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theonce-ler